Where can I buy cheap kero?
Add Reply
Harry Bloomfield Esq
2024-09-13 16:03:33 UTC
I'm in the process of buying a Chinese diesel heater, to heat my
garage/workshop,for which I understand - kero, or heating fuel is the
cheapest fuel to run it on and even better than diesel. Where might I be
able to source a gallon or two, initially, please?
David
2024-09-13 17:39:08 UTC
I'm in the process of buying a Chinese diesel heater, to heat my garage/
workshop,for which I understand - kero, or heating fuel is the cheapest
fuel to run it on and even better than diesel. Where might I be able to
source a gallon or two, initially, please?
Do you mean kerosine? If so its the same as paraffin and all DIY sheds
should stock it.
Harry Bloomfield Esq
2024-09-13 17:46:39 UTC
Post by David
Post by Harry Bloomfield Esq
I'm in the process of buying a Chinese diesel heater, to heat my
garage/ workshop,for which I understand - kero, or heating fuel is the
cheapest fuel to run it on and even better than diesel. Where might I
be able to source a gallon or two, initially, please?
Do you mean kerosine? If so its the same as paraffin and all DIY sheds
should stock it.Yes, it is similar, but DIY sheds are a very expensive place to source it. Much more expensive, than simply buying diesel.
The Natural Philosopher
2024-09-14 01:41:49 UTC
Post by David
Post by Harry Bloomfield Esq
I'm in the process of buying a Chinese diesel heater, to heat my
garage/ workshop,for which I understand - kero, or heating fuel is the
cheapest fuel to run it on and even better than diesel. Where might I
be able to source a gallon or two, initially, please?
Do you mean kerosine? If so its the same as paraffin and all DIY sheds
should stock it.
No. He means kerosene
--
Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice.
– Will Durant
Andy Burns
2024-09-13 17:41:04 UTC
I'm in the process of buying a Chinese diesel heater, to heat my garage/
workshop,for which I understand - kero, or heating fuel is the cheapest
fuel to run it on and even better than diesel. Where might I be able to
source a gallon or two, initially, please?
For my Tilley lamp I got paraffin from a local garden centre, in a 4l
container, not especially cheap, but not the £15 B&Q or Amazon are
asking ...
Harry Bloomfield Esq
2024-09-13 17:51:51 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
For my Tilley lamp I got paraffin from a local garden centre, in a 4l
container, not especially cheap, but not the £15 B&Q or Amazon are
asking ...
Heating oil, is around 60p per litre, diesel around £1.40. I'm wondering
where I might source heating oil, in small quantities, at similar low
costs.
Theo
2024-09-13 19:06:25 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
For my Tilley lamp I got paraffin from a local garden centre, in a 4l
container, not especially cheap, but not the £15 B&Q or Amazon are
asking ...
Heating oil, is around 60p per litre, diesel around £1.40. I'm wondering
where I might source heating oil, in small quantities, at similar low
costs.
I think some rural petrol stations may sell it, but I haven't seen one
advertising it in a while. Deliveries are min 500 litres by law.

You can buy it online in cans but not especially cheap:
https://www.ryeoil.co.uk/shop/kerosene-heating-oil-20l-100l-or-200l/

but your local oil delivery company may have cans you can collect from their
depot.

Finally check FB/ebay/etc. When decommissioning my tank I sold 400 l in 25
litre jerry cans sourced from the local hand car wash (formerly containing
car shampoo)

Theo
Harry Bloomfield Esq
Thanks, some ideas there to try..
Theo
2024-09-13 23:19:09 UTC
Post by Theo
but your local oil delivery company may have cans you can collect from their
depot.
Finally check FB/ebay/etc. When decommissioning my tank I sold 400 l in 25
litre jerry cans sourced from the local hand car wash (formerly containing
car shampoo)
Thanks, some ideas there to try..
You could also just find somebody who uses heating oil and offer to buy some
from their tank at some agreeable price. Take your own jerrycan and a
little electric pump (a tenner on ebay). Today's price for 500 litre
delivery from the local oil syndicate is 54p/litre - offer to pay over the
odds and everyone is happy.

Theo
David
There is also Red Diesel - used by both farmers and the boating sectors.
Andy Burns
2024-09-14 07:05:08 UTC
Post by David
There is also Red Diesel - used by both farmers and the boating sectors.
The rules changed a couple of years ago, red diesel can no longer be
used in boats (except for heating and generators) or several other
traditional uses e.g. diggers on building sites ...
Chris Green
2024-09-14 07:52:16 UTC
Post by Theo
but your local oil delivery company may have cans you can collect from their
depot.
Finally check FB/ebay/etc. When decommissioning my tank I sold 400 l in 25
litre jerry cans sourced from the local hand car wash (formerly containing
car shampoo)
Thanks, some ideas there to try..
You could also just find somebody who uses heating oil and offer to buy some
from their tank at some agreeable price. Take your own jerrycan and a
little electric pump (a tenner on ebay). Today's price for 500 litre
delivery from the local oil syndicate is 54p/litre - offer to pay over the
odds and everyone is happy.
Theo
There is also Red Diesel - used by both farmers and the boating sectors.
Now much more difficult to buy, especially in small quantities. The
rules were tightened up a couple of years ago. I used to use it in my
tractor and diesel mower but now, unless you are a commercial user
(i.e. actually a farmer) or in one or two other special cases it's not
allowed.
--
Chris Green
·
Marland
2024-09-15 14:19:42 UTC
Post by Chris Green
Post by Theo
[...]
Our local garage still has a red diesel pump
If you are filling a can and using the fuel for a heater what rules are
being broken?
Its when you tip into a vehicle tank where you should be using white the
trouble starts.

GH
Chris Green
2024-09-15 18:18:50 UTC
Post by Marland
Post by Chris Green
Post by Theo
[...]
All the ones near us (around Ipswich, south Suffolk) have closed. We
used to be able to go to the local Morrisons and fill a few 20l cans
with diesel but no longer.
Post by Marland
If you are filling a can and using the fuel for a heater what rules are
being broken?
None, but heaters configured to use vehicle diesel as opposed to
heating fuel are unusual - as I discovered when we had the 'diesel'
boiler on our boat serviced and the engineer was really surprised that
it actually was set up to use [red] diesel.
Post by Marland
Its when you tip into a vehicle tank where you should be using white the
trouble starts.
That's what has been tightened up a lot, as a private user I used to
be able to use red diesel in my tractor and diesel mower but that is
no longer allowed. There's very few legal vehicle uses for red diesel
now, just businesses whose vehicles are 100% off road like farmers and
some contractors.

Using red diesel for heating is OK but pretty pointless, heating fuel
is just as cheap, if not cheaper.
--
Chris Green
·
Theo
2024-09-15 20:40:02 UTC
Post by Chris Green
None, but heaters configured to use vehicle diesel as opposed to
heating fuel are unusual - as I discovered when we had the 'diesel'
boiler on our boat serviced and the engineer was really surprised that
it actually was set up to use [red] diesel.
They're not uncommon for campervans and similar - if you already have a
diesel tank for the engine you just add a tee in the fuel line to the
heater. There are some Chinese ones which seem basic but decent enough.

Quite surprised that doesn't apply to boats too - or do you need a
sufficient amount of heat (all winter) that it's cheaper to fill a separate
tank? For seaworthy boats there's diesel in every port but not sure about
kerosene (unless they fuel gas turbines?)

Theo
Chris Green
2024-09-16 06:31:22 UTC
Post by Theo
Post by Chris Green
None, but heaters configured to use vehicle diesel as opposed to
heating fuel are unusual - as I discovered when we had the 'diesel'
boiler on our boat serviced and the engineer was really surprised that
it actually was set up to use [red] diesel.
They're not uncommon for campervans and similar - if you already have a
diesel tank for the engine you just add a tee in the fuel line to the
heater. There are some Chinese ones which seem basic but decent enough.
I guess that makes sense.
Post by Theo
Quite surprised that doesn't apply to boats too - or do you need a
sufficient amount of heat (all winter) that it's cheaper to fill a separate
tank? For seaworthy boats there's diesel in every port but not sure about
kerosene (unless they fuel gas turbines?)
The boat in question had a standard domestic oil fired CH boiler, it
had the jets adjusted to work with diesel engine fuel rather than
heating oil.

Red diesel is no longer allowed to be used for making your boat go
along. In most of mainland Europe you **have** to have a separate
tank if you want to used un-road-taxed fuel for heating. In the UK
you can still declare what portion of the fuel in your tank is being
used for heating and how much for going along. This is very open to
abuse of course so i don't know how much longer it will last.
--
Chris Green
·
SteveW
2024-09-16 08:15:30 UTC
Post by Chris Green
Post by Theo
Quite surprised that doesn't apply to boats too - or do you need a
sufficient amount of heat (all winter) that it's cheaper to fill a separate
tank? For seaworthy boats there's diesel in every port but not sure about
kerosene (unless they fuel gas turbines?)
The boat in question had a standard domestic oil fired CH boiler, it
had the jets adjusted to work with diesel engine fuel rather than
heating oil.
Red diesel is no longer allowed to be used for making your boat go
along. In most of mainland Europe you **have** to have a separate
tank if you want to used un-road-taxed fuel for heating. In the UK
you can still declare what portion of the fuel in your tank is being
used for heating and how much for going along. This is very open to
abuse of course so i don't know how much longer it will last.
Is it much more open to abuse than a separate tank? Surely it is easy to
use a portable pump to transfer from one tank to the other anyway?
Chris Green
2024-09-16 09:53:44 UTC
Post by SteveW
Post by Chris Green
Post by Theo
[...]
You'd have red dye in your engine diesel, easily detected.
--
Chris Green
·
SteveW
2024-09-17 08:32:29 UTC
Post by Chris Green
Post by SteveW
Post by Chris Green
Post by Theo
[...]
Is it still dyed? Don't boatyards only have a single pump and just apply
duty to filling the engine tank? Or proportion it to heating and engine,
when there is only one tank.

Even with two and with red dye, it would hardly be difficult to have a
hidden valve to switch to running the engine off the heating tank, which
appears to only be connected to the heating.
Fredxx
2024-09-17 20:45:45 UTC
Post by SteveW
Post by Chris Green
Post by SteveW
Post by Chris Green
Post by Theo
[...]
Correct. Some boatyards specify the proportion, others ask the customer.
It's all recorded. Fuel is also allowed for electrical generation with
the main engine. Most splits are 25/75% propulsion/heating etc, or 50/50.
Post by SteveW
Even with two and with red dye, it would hardly be difficult to have a
hidden valve to switch to running the engine off the heating tank, which
appears to only be connected to the heating.
I've never seen an inland boat with two tanks. No need for sea going
vessels.

Theo
2024-09-16 10:08:29 UTC
Post by Chris Green
The boat in question had a standard domestic oil fired CH boiler, it
had the jets adjusted to work with diesel engine fuel rather than
heating oil.
Is this just for hot water, or do you use it for heating as well?

Most diesel heaters I've seen output hot air, not hot water. I'd have
thought having the usual CH setup (pipes, radiators, pump etc) would be
awkward in the cramped spaces of a boat?

Thinking about it, I'm not sure how it works on (small) sailing yachts. Do
they just take off cooling water from the engine and recirc that for heat
before dumping it in the sea? Means you have to run the big engine for heat
which may not be economical or comfortable overnight. I suppose you
probably have diesel cabin heaters as well?

Theo
wasbit
2024-09-16 09:05:19 UTC
Post by Theo
Post by Chris Green
None, but heaters configured to use vehicle diesel as opposed to
heating fuel are unusual - as I discovered when we had the 'diesel'
boiler on our boat serviced and the engineer was really surprised that
it actually was set up to use [red] diesel.
They're not uncommon for campervans and similar - if you already have a
diesel tank for the engine you just add a tee in the fuel line to the
heater. There are some Chinese ones which seem basic but decent enough.
Quite surprised that doesn't apply to boats too - or do you need a
sufficient amount of heat (all winter) that it's cheaper to fill a separate
tank? For seaworthy boats there's diesel in every port but not sure about
kerosene (unless they fuel gas turbines?)
I have a wood burning stove in my shed which is ideal if I'm out there
all day. However the diesel heater comes into its own when only needed
for short periods.
They are relatively cheap to buy & economical to run (even at pump prices).

Self contained unit
-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jacgood-5000W-8000W-Parking-5KW-8KW-Trailers/dp/B0BLYWFKTV

2 caveats
- it must exhaust to the outside
- it requires a hefty (IIRC) 15a 12v supply. eg
-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/inShareplus-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Transformer/dp/B08QS1KDQ8
--
Regards
wasbit
The Natural Philosopher
2024-09-14 01:43:34 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
For my Tilley lamp I got paraffin from a local garden centre, in a 4l
container, not especially cheap, but not the £15 B&Q or Amazon are
asking ...
Heating oil, is around 60p per litre, diesel around £1.40. I'm wondering
where I might source heating oil, in small quantities, at similar low
costs.
I think some rural petrol stations may sell it, but I haven't seen one
advertising it in a while. Deliveries are min 500 litres by law.
I looked on boilerjuice and they said 150l minimum