Glue for polythene
brian
2024-05-13 07:24:25 UTC
Recommendations to glue two polythene parts .Gorilla glue doesn't work.

Brian
Brian Howie
Colin Bignell
2024-05-13 07:34:45 UTC
Post by brian
Recommendations to glue two polythene parts .Gorilla glue doesn't work.
Brian
I used to use slabs of polythene to make work surfaces for a clean room.
The only thing I found that worked reliably to hold two parts together
was to drill, tap and bolt together.
Colin Bignell
Chris Green
2024-05-13 07:37:25 UTC
Post by brian
Recommendations to glue two polythene parts .Gorilla glue doesn't work.
You either need to heat weld it or use a superglue with an activator
so that it 'takes' on the polythene. Polythene is difficult to mend.
--
Chris Green
·
brian
2024-05-13 12:55:07 UTC
In message <jis8hk-***@q957.zbmc.eu>, Chris Green <***@isbd.net>
writes
Post by Chris Green
Post by brian
Recommendations to glue two polythene parts .Gorilla glue doesn't work.
You either need to heat weld it or use a superglue with an activator
so that it 'takes' on the polythene. Polythene is difficult to mend.
It's to repair a self tapping hole that's too loose. I drilled a larger
hole for a polythene plug , but can't bond it. I tried hot glue as well.
It looks like from the responses I'll have to make a metal threaded
insert and tap into that

Cheers

Brian
Brian Howie
Tricky Dicky
2024-05-13 13:08:28 UTC
Post by brian
writes
Post by Chris Green
Post by brian
Recommendations to glue two polythene parts .Gorilla glue doesn't work.
You either need to heat weld it or use a superglue with an activator
so that it 'takes' on the polythene. Polythene is difficult to mend.
It's to repair a self tapping hole that's too loose. I drilled a larger
hole for a polythene plug , but can't bond it. I tried hot glue as well.
It looks like from the responses I'll have to make a metal threaded
insert and tap into that
Cheers
Brian
Use an eyelet, there are plenty of cheap kits on Amazon complete with
setting punch & die.
The Natural Philosopher
2024-05-13 14:30:29 UTC
Post by Chris Green
Post by brian
Recommendations to glue two polythene parts .Gorilla glue doesn't work.
You either need to heat weld it or use a superglue with an activator
so that it 'takes' on the polythene.  Polythene is difficult to mend.
It's to repair a  self tapping hole that's too loose. I drilled a larger
hole for a polythene plug , but can't bond it. I tried hot glue as well.
It looks like from the responses I'll have to make a metal threaded
insert and tap into that
Er no. If that is your problem its WAY easier than that. Simply buy some
threaded inserts made for 3D printers, pop one on a not too hot*
soldering iron tip and press it into the polythene.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Embedment-Assortment-Threaded-Printing-Specifications/dp/B09QLSYV2N

It will be stronger than the original self tap

I bought a load of these as soon as I started 3D printing a few weeks
ago and cannot say how much better they are than self taps.

* you want to melt the polythene, but only locally and only just.

Lucas Bergkamp
The Natural Philosopher
2024-05-13 10:27:27 UTC
Post by brian
Recommendations to glue two polythene parts .Gorilla glue doesn't work.
Brian
Almost impossible. It is too 'waxy' for anything to stick

I have only ever found two solutions that almost work, but at rather low
strength
Car body filler and the original evo stik.

Xylene is the most common solvent, but I have never come across it in a
D-i-Y context although you seem to be able to get it on Amazon

You might try hot glue for a low strength bond
John R Walliker
2024-05-13 12:22:19 UTC
Post by The Natural Philosopher
Post by brian
Recommendations to glue two polythene parts .Gorilla glue doesn't work.
Brian
Almost impossible. It is too 'waxy' for anything to stick
I have only ever found two solutions that almost work, but at rather low
strength
Car body filler and the original evo stik.
Xylene is the most common solvent, but I have never come across it in a
D-i-Y context although you seem to be able to get it on Amazon
You might try hot glue for a low strength bond
Momentarily exposing the polythene surfaces to a hot flame can make them
more reactive and might make some degree of weak adhesion possible.
This method is used on PTFE, although aggressive chemicals that attack
the surface such as "Tetra-etch" are more repeatable.
John
Roger Hayter
2024-05-15 14:43:47 UTC
Post by brian
Recommendations to glue two polythene parts .Gorilla glue doesn't work.
Brian
Almost impossible. It is too 'waxy' for anything to stick
I have only ever found two solutions that almost work, but at rather low
strength
Car body filler and the original evo stik.
Xylene is the most common solvent, but I have never come across it in a
D-i-Y context although you seem to be able to get it on Amazon
You might try hot glue for a low strength bond
Momentarily exposing the polythene surfaces to a hot flame can make them
more reactive and might make some degree of weak adhesion possible.
This method is used on PTFE, although aggressive chemicals that attack
the surface such as "Tetra-etch" are more repeatable.
John
Just as an aside, at flame temperatures PTFE can give off some very toxic
stuff, so that is a rather hazardous operation.
Roger Hayter
mm0fmf
2024-05-13 13:07:31 UTC
Post by brian
Recommendations to glue two polythene parts .Gorilla glue doesn't work.
Brian
Perhaps something is this can help?

Andy
brian
2024-05-13 15:28:54 UTC
In message <v1t3ak$3fls6$***@dont-email.me>, mm0fmf <***@invalid.com>
writes
Post by mm0fmf
Post by brian
Recommendations to glue two polythene parts .Gorilla glue doesn't work.
Brian
Perhaps something is this can help?
http://youtu.be/yjr5LT6uUGs
Andy
I might have to do that. I had to use a plastic plug since the metal one
shorted on something. The plastic plug unscrews itself

Brian
Brian Howie
David
2024-05-14 04:43:18 UTC
Post by brian
Recommendations to glue two polythene parts .Gorilla glue doesn't work.
Brian
If its any help, I need occasionally to bond PTFE components and use
Loctite 770 as a primer and Loctite 406 as the adhesive.

I don't know if they will work on polythene, but may be worth a try.

However the 770 and 406 Loctites are not cheap - it may not be
economically viable fix.
brian
2024-05-16 03:50:38 UTC
In message <v1uq56$3vir9$***@dont-email.me>, David <***@nospam.com>
writes
Post by David
Post by brian
Recommendations to glue two polythene parts .Gorilla glue doesn't work.
Brian
If its any help, I need occasionally to bond PTFE components and use
Loctite 770 as a primer and Loctite 406 as the adhesive.
I don't know if they will work on polythene, but may be worth a try.
However the 770 and 406 Loctites are not cheap - it may not be
economically viable fix.
I think at work we used hydrofluoric acid as an etching agent - not
something to try at home.

I persevered with my PTFE screw plug ( my polythene rod wouldn't thread
easily) and locked the thread with self amalgamating tape .Next step was
to drill a keyway between the threads an fill it with something.

Tnx

Brian
--
Brian Howie