Identifying filing cabinet key from lock front number
David
2023-11-19 16:00:16 UTC
I have a 4 drawer filing cabinet which I no longer need.
I am told that nobody wants one unless it has a key (sell or donate).
I've had it so long that I have no idea where the key went.

There is the number 0815 on the front.
I can't see any other identifying marks.
I assume that you would need a key to take the lock out of the drawer
front to investigate further.

I can't at the moment find anything on the filing cabinet which indicates
a manufacturer.

The first two key replacement sites I tried gave me multiple options, so I
am not keen on spending abut £5 a pop (including postage) for a variety of
keys.

Any tips on how to identify?

I would like to recycle via charity rather than just sling it.

Cheers

Dave R
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64
Jethro_uk
2023-11-19 16:27:42 UTC
Post by David
I have a 4 drawer filing cabinet which I no longer need.
I am told that nobody wants one unless it has a key (sell or donate).
I've had it so long that I have no idea where the key went.
There is the number 0815 on the front.
I can't see any other identifying marks.
I assume that you would need a key to take the lock out of the drawer
front to investigate further.
I can't at the moment find anything on the filing cabinet which
indicates a manufacturer.
The first two key replacement sites I tried gave me multiple options, so
I am not keen on spending abut £5 a pop (including postage) for a
variety of keys.
Any tips on how to identify?
I would like to recycle via charity rather than just sling it.
Google lens ?

In my last job, I inherited a load of locking cupboards that were missing
keys. There was a second hand office furniture outfit the company had
used before. Guy came round (they were literally down the road) and he
knew *everything* about furniture locks. Was able to order spares on the
spot.
David
2023-11-19 16:56:26 UTC
Post by Jethro_uk
Post by David
[...]
Thankfully I have now found a label on the side of a drawer.

The cabinet dates from 2000 and is Samas No 14 Roneo.

I've emailed a key supplier with the photos so we shall see if they can
identify the lock and supply a key.

Cheers

Dave R
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64
David
2023-11-20 11:29:08 UTC
Post by David
Post by David
I have a 4 drawer filing cabinet which I no longer need.
I am told that nobody wants one unless it has a key (sell or donate).
I've had it so long that I have no idea where the key went.
There is the number 0815 on the front.
I can't see any other identifying marks.
<snip>
Post by David
Thankfully I have now found a label on the side of a drawer.
The cabinet dates from 2000 and is Samas No 14 Roneo.
I've emailed a key supplier with the photos so we shall see if they can
identify the lock and supply a key.
First key supplier doesn't stock that key.
I've now emailed a second one.
Eventually I'll just get fed up and sling it - offering it free in the
first case.

Cheers

Dave R
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64
Scion
This guy https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/2277malcolm has never let me down.
Andy Burns
2023-11-19 18:06:25 UTC
Post by David
I have a 4 drawer filing cabinet which I no longer need.
I am told that nobody wants one unless it has a key (sell or donate).
I've had it so long that I have no idea where the key went.
There is the number 0815 on the front.
Would you remember if it looked like this?

<https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354948265884>
David
2023-11-20 11:26:54 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by David
I have a 4 drawer filing cabinet which I no longer need.
I am told that nobody wants one unless it has a key (sell or donate).
I've had it so long that I have no idea where the key went.
There is the number 0815 on the front.
Would you remember if it looked like this?
<https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354948265884>
Remember?
As in memory from around 2000?
Absolutely no idea.

It should have been in the lock or in the top drawer.
But wasn't

Cheers

Dave R
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64
Chris Green
2023-11-19 18:48:16 UTC
Post by David
I have a 4 drawer filing cabinet which I no longer need.
I am told that nobody wants one unless it has a key (sell or donate).
How odd, I have several filing cabinets used for storage of (mostly)
electrical and plumbing supplies, never needed the keys.
--
Chris Green
·
David
2023-11-20 11:25:04 UTC
Post by Chris Green
Post by David
I have a 4 drawer filing cabinet which I no longer need.
I am told that nobody wants one unless it has a key (sell or donate).
How odd, I have several filing cabinets used for storage of (mostly)
electrical and plumbing supplies, never needed the keys.
I don't need the key.
The next owner might.
I've asked and you can't donate it to charity without a key.

Cheers

Dave R
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64
RJH
2023-11-20 13:16:06 UTC
Post by David
Post by Chris Green
Post by David
I have a 4 drawer filing cabinet which I no longer need.
I am told that nobody wants one unless it has a key (sell or donate).
How odd, I have several filing cabinets used for storage of (mostly)
electrical and plumbing supplies, never needed the keys.
I don't need the key.
The next owner might.
I've asked and you can't donate it to charity without a key.
Agreed, they might need a key. But list it on Freecycle or similar and I'd say
there's a good chance you'll find someone who'll take it.
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK
wasbit
2023-11-21 09:48:10 UTC
Post by David
Post by Chris Green
Post by David
I have a 4 drawer filing cabinet which I no longer need.
I am told that nobody wants one unless it has a key (sell or donate).
How odd, I have several filing cabinets used for storage of (mostly)
electrical and plumbing supplies, never needed the keys.
I don't need the key.
The next owner might.
I've asked and you can't donate it to charity without a key.
They come up fairly regularly on free sites, no mention of keys.

Look for your locale.
Freecycle - https://uk.freecycle.org/
Freegle - https://www.ilovefreegle.org/
Gumtree (search for freebies) - https://www.gumtree.com/
--
Regards
wasbit
jkn
2023-11-22 08:25:51 UTC
Post by David
Post by Chris Green
Post by David
I have a 4 drawer filing cabinet which I no longer need.
I am told that nobody wants one unless it has a key (sell or donate).
How odd, I have several filing cabinets used for storage of (mostly)
electrical and plumbing supplies, never needed the keys.
I don't need the key.
The next owner might.
I've asked and you can't donate it to charity without a key.
That's silly - find another charity. Plenty of them will accept filing
cabinets without keys.
fred
Contact your nearest seller of used office furniture. He'll have the answer
charles
2023-11-22 10:00:03 UTC
Post by jkn
Post by David
Post by Chris Green
I have a 4 drawer filing cabinet which I no longer need. I am told
that nobody wants one unless it has a key (sell or donate).
How odd, I have several filing cabinets used for storage of (mostly)
electrical and plumbing supplies, never needed the keys.
I don't need the key.
The next owner might.
I've asked and you can't donate it to charity without a key.
That's silly - find another charity. Plenty of them will accept filing
cabinets without keys.
Indeed. Some charity shops are very fussy. I once took a desk to one, the
desk had a slight water stain on one drawer. They wouldn't take it.

Anyway, drill a small hole just over the snap lock and the cabinet can then
be opened by pushing a small rod into the hole.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²
fred
2023-11-23 09:13:12 UTC
Post by charles
Post by jkn
Post by David
Post by Chris Green
I have a 4 drawer filing cabinet which I no longer need. I am told
that nobody wants one unless it has a key (sell or donate).
How odd, I have several filing cabinets used for storage of (mostly)
electrical and plumbing supplies, never needed the keys.
I don't need the key.
The next owner might.
I've asked and you can't donate it to charity without a key.
That's silly - find another charity. Plenty of them will accept filing
cabinets without keys.
Indeed. Some charity shops are very fussy. I once took a desk to one, the
desk had a slight water stain on one drawer. They wouldn't take it.
Anyway, drill a small hole just over the snap lock and the cabinet can then
be opened by pushing a small rod into the hole.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4t้ฒ
That is not necessarily true. There are variations in filing cabinet loks
David
2023-11-23 11:24:45 UTC
Post by charles
Post by jkn
Post by David
Post by Chris Green
I have a 4 drawer filing cabinet which I no longer need. I am told
that nobody wants one unless it has a key (sell or donate).
How odd, I have several filing cabinets used for storage of (mostly)
electrical and plumbing supplies, never needed the keys.
I don't need the key.
The next owner might.
I've asked and you can't donate it to charity without a key.
That's silly - find another charity. Plenty of them will accept filing
cabinets without keys.
Indeed. Some charity shops are very fussy. I once took a desk to one,
the desk had a slight water stain on one drawer. They wouldn't take it.
Anyway, drill a small hole just over the snap lock and the cabinet can
then be opened by pushing a small rod into the hole.
Noting that this cabinet is not locked.
It just required the ability to be locked and unlocked.

Cheers

Dave R
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64
Nick Odell
2023-11-21 23:40:48 UTC
Post by David
I have a 4 drawer filing cabinet which I no longer need.
I am told that nobody wants one unless it has a key (sell or donate).
I've had it so long that I have no idea where the key went.
There is the number 0815 on the front.
I can't see any other identifying marks.
I assume that you would need a key to take the lock out of the drawer
front to investigate further.
I can't at the moment find anything on the filing cabinet which indicates
a manufacturer.
The first two key replacement sites I tried gave me multiple options, so I
am not keen on spending abut £5 a pop (including postage) for a variety of
keys.
Any tips on how to identify?
I would like to recycle via charity rather than just sling it.
Cheers
That looks to me as if it might be a Lowe and Fletcher (L&F) key
number. In the past, L&F supplied the locks to the vast majority of
office furniture and filing cabinets made in the UK and beyond and
since they are still in business they possibly still do.

If it's what I think it is, there will be a master key for that lock
series so if you can't find what you want from L&F or one of their
distributors, the master key might get you out of trouble.

Good luck.

Nick