Eternal September
Add Reply
Tricky Dicky
2024-10-16 10:52:07 UTC
Are any Eternal September users experiencing slow downloads? My speed of
downloads on any website is as normal but ES seems to have a built in
delay.

Richard
Scott
2024-10-16 11:11:06 UTC
On Wed, 16 Oct 2024 10:52:07 -0000 (UTC), Tricky Dicky
Post by Tricky Dicky
Are any Eternal September users experiencing slow downloads? My speed of
downloads on any website is as normal but ES seems to have a built in
delay.
It is my recollection that users have been experiencing problems with
Eternal September for at least a decade. https://news.individual.net/
costs EUR 10 per year - about two cups of coffee - and seems to be
problem free.
Handsome Jack
Really? My cups of coffee cost about 6p each.
Scott
2024-10-17 08:40:08 UTC
Post by Tricky Dicky
Are any Eternal September users experiencing slow downloads? My speed of
downloads on any website is as normal but ES seems to have a built in
delay.
It is my recollection that users have been experiencing problems with
Eternal September for at least a decade. https://news.individual.net/
costs EUR 10 per year - about two cups of coffee - and seems to be
problem free.
Really? My cups of coffee cost about 6p each.
Good - all the money you are saving could easily pay for
news.individual.net then :-)
Jeff Layman
2024-10-16 11:57:46 UTC
Post by Tricky Dicky
Are any Eternal September users experiencing slow downloads? My speed of
downloads on any website is as normal but ES seems to have a built in
delay.
I've been using it most of the morning without any apparent delays.
Jeff
Tricky Dicky
2024-10-16 12:50:22 UTC
Post by Jeff Layman
Post by Tricky Dicky
Are any Eternal September users experiencing slow downloads? My speed of
downloads on any website is as normal but ES seems to have a built in
delay.
I've been using it most of the morning without any apparent delays.
Thanks Jeff, could be my news client News Tap that is the problem although
for the year or so I have been using it so far it has been fine.
John Rumm
2024-10-16 12:19:06 UTC
Post by Tricky Dicky
Are any Eternal September users experiencing slow downloads? My speed of
downloads on any website is as normal but ES seems to have a built in
delay.
Not noticed here, but then again, I am not sure I would necessarily
notice slow usenet download speeds since it is such a small amount of
data compared to most anything else these days.

(my own posts seem to be appearing immediately)
--
Cheers,

John.

Tricky Dicky
2024-10-16 12:54:14 UTC
Post by John Rumm
Post by Tricky Dicky
Are any Eternal September users experiencing slow downloads? My speed of
downloads on any website is as normal but ES seems to have a built in
delay.
Not noticed here, but then again, I am not sure I would necessarily
notice slow usenet download speeds since it is such a small amount of
data compared to most anything else these days.
(my own posts seem to be appearing immediately)
Thanks John, it does not seem to affect my uploads which seem quite normal.
The headers appear instantly as normal it just when you open an article it
spends an inordinate amount of time before displaying it.
Paul
2024-10-16 14:23:35 UTC
Post by Tricky Dicky
Post by John Rumm
Post by Tricky Dicky
Are any Eternal September users experiencing slow downloads? My speed of
downloads on any website is as normal but ES seems to have a built in
delay.
Not noticed here, but then again, I am not sure I would necessarily
notice slow usenet download speeds since it is such a small amount of
data compared to most anything else these days.
(my own posts seem to be appearing immediately)
Thanks John, it does not seem to affect my uploads which seem quite normal.
The headers appear instantly as normal it just when you open an article it
spends an inordinate amount of time before displaying it.
Watch it with Wireshark, and see if it is Authenticating again.
If you use Port 119, the protocol uses text and the packets
can be read, as to their purpose.

Server name: news.eternal-september.org
Port : 119 (NNTP) <=== not encrypted, viewable in Wireshark
Port : 563 (encrypted connection NNTPS)

Servername: reader80.eternal-september.org
Port : 80

Servername: reader443.eternal-september.org
Port : 443 (encrypted connection NNTPS)

The timeout constant has been changed, and I don't notice
the usage of quick connections any more (dropping the connection
almost immediately). When I look in tcpview.exe right now,
there are two Thunderbird connections lashed up to E-S.
I don't think it used to work that way in the past.

My Max_connections is likely set to two connections, which is
why two connections are affixed at the moment. While the client
could drop the connection, it has not in my case. And there
does not appear to be any notion of keep-alive either. There is
no overhead from the connections, no unnecessary packets.

Paul
The Natural Philosopher
2024-10-16 18:41:49 UTC
Post by Tricky Dicky
Are any Eternal September users experiencing slow downloads? My speed of
downloads on any website is as normal but ES seems to have a built in
delay.
Richard
It has been somewhat variable of late, but its OK for me now.

Josef Stalin
Tricky Dicky
2024-10-17 08:27:27 UTC
Post by The Natural Philosopher
Post by Tricky Dicky
Are any Eternal September users experiencing slow downloads? My speed of
downloads on any website is as normal but ES seems to have a built in
delay.
Richard
It has been somewhat variable of late, but its OK for me now.
Things are back to normal like you say it has been a bit variable, I
suppose you cannot complain too much when it is for free.
Andrew
2024-10-17 18:28:53 UTC
Post by Tricky Dicky
Are any Eternal September users experiencing slow downloads? My speed of
downloads on any website is as normal but ES seems to have a built in
delay.
Richard
It died for me over last weekend. My PC was taking so long to
shut down I just powered it off at the mains.

At next bootup, all my subscriptions had vanished so I have
started again with just uk.d-i-y.

Seems ok now.