See over 120 *unique* DIY tips here.....
B***@hotmail.co.uk
2008-06-24 21:10:36 UTC
http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p1.html
tim.....
2008-06-24 22:06:58 UTC
Post by B***@hotmail.co.uk
http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p1.html
What's a: "metel 'G' cramp"

Why is there an apostrophe in: Alway's

And the mine boggles as to why I might want to wrap solder around the end of
a pencil.

(I gave up at that point)

tim
Stephen Howard
2008-06-24 23:26:23 UTC
On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 23:06:58 +0100, "tim....."
Post by tim.....
Post by B***@hotmail.co.uk
http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p1.html
What's a: "metel 'G' cramp"
Why is there an apostrophe in: Alway's
And the mine boggles as to why I might want to wrap solder around the end of
a pencil.
(I gave up at that point)
tim
To stop you from chewing it.
Plus, you always know where you can find a bit of solder when you need
it.

Regards,
http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Mike Barnes
2008-06-25 06:09:04 UTC
Post by tim.....
And the mine boggles as to why I might want to wrap solder around the end of
a pencil.
To stop you from chewing it.
Plus, you always know where you can find a bit of solder when you need
it.
Simpler answers:

chewing the pencil - just don't do it
finding solder - it's where you left it

Most people don't have any problem with those things, AFAIK.
Mike Barnes
Stephen Howard
2008-06-25 12:57:07 UTC
Post by tim.....
And the mine boggles as to why I might want to wrap solder around the end of
a pencil.
To stop you from chewing it.
Plus, you always know where you can find a bit of solder when you need
it.
chewing the pencil - just don't do it
finding solder - it's where you left it
Most people don't have any problem with those things, AFAIK.
That's odd, I thought pencil-chewing was incredibly common - so much
so that it forms a colloquial expression for a difficult problem.

Regards,
www.shwoodwind.co.uk
dennis@home
2008-06-25 13:39:34 UTC
Post by tim.....
And the mine boggles as to why I might want to wrap solder around the end of
a pencil.
To stop you from chewing it.
Plus, you always know where you can find a bit of solder when you need
it.
chewing the pencil - just don't do it
finding solder - it's where you left it
Most people don't have any problem with those things, AFAIK.
That's odd, I thought pencil-chewing was incredibly common - so much
so that it forms a colloquial expression for a difficult problem.
I think the idea is to stop it rolling off the bench and breaking.
One of those little plastic animals is better.
Mike Barnes
2008-06-25 16:13:29 UTC
Post by tim.....
And the mine boggles as to why I might want to wrap solder around the end of
a pencil.
To stop you from chewing it.
Plus, you always know where you can find a bit of solder when you need
it.
chewing the pencil - just don't do it
finding solder - it's where you left it
Most people don't have any problem with those things, AFAIK.
That's odd, I thought pencil-chewing was incredibly common - so much
so that it forms a colloquial expression for a difficult problem.
If you say so... first I've heard of it (the popularity of the habit,
and the colloquial expression, whatever it is).
Mike Barnes
geoff
2008-06-25 18:17:47 UTC
Post by tim.....
And the mine boggles as to why I might want to wrap solder around the end of
a pencil.
To stop you from chewing it.
Plus, you always know where you can find a bit of solder when you need
it.
chewing the pencil - just don't do it
finding solder - it's where you left it
Most people don't have any problem with those things, AFAIK.
He could be getting mixed up with the way that some people coil solder
around a pencil and then feed the end through the middle
geoff
Bob Eager
2008-06-24 22:35:24 UTC
Post by tim.....
Post by B***@hotmail.co.uk
http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p1.html
What's a: "metel 'G' cramp"
Why is there an apostrophe in: Alway's
And the mine boggles as to why I might want to wrap solder around the end of
a pencil.
Why would you want to boggle a mine? :-)
http://www.diybanter.com
B***@hotmail.co.uk
2008-06-24 22:56:28 UTC
Post by tim.....
Post by B***@hotmail.co.uk
http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p1.html
What's a: "metel 'G' cramp"
Why is there an apostrophe in: Alway's
And the mine boggles as to why I might want to wrap solder around the end of
a pencil.
(I gave up at that point)
tim
"mine" not mind? Very DIY U R!!

Go away please!
http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p1.html
Dave Plowman (News)
2008-06-24 23:05:48 UTC
Post by tim.....
Post by B***@hotmail.co.uk
http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p1.html
What's a: "metel 'G' cramp"
Why is there an apostrophe in: Alway's
And the mine boggles as to why I might want to wrap solder around the
end of a pencil.
(I gave up at that point)
You missed a good one: 'for security screws drill out the cross after
driving'. You'll need quite a drill for modern wood screws...
--
*Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

Dave Plowman ***@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
B***@hotmail.co.uk
2008-06-24 23:17:10 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by tim.....
Post by B***@hotmail.co.uk
http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p1.html
What's a: "metel 'G' cramp"
Why is there an apostrophe in: Alway's
And the mine boggles as to why I might want to wrap solder around the
end of a pencil.
(I gave up at that point)
You missed a good one: 'for security screws drill out the cross after
driving'. You'll need quite a drill for modern wood screws...
--
*Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?
                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Clever? You think?

Hang around you will I'm sure.

http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p1.html
B***@hotmail.co.uk
2008-06-24 23:31:06 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by tim.....
Post by B***@hotmail.co.uk
http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p1.html
What's a: "metel 'G' cramp"
Why is there an apostrophe in: Alway's
And the mine boggles as to why I might want to wrap solder around the
end of a pencil.
(I gave up at that point)
You missed a good one: 'for security screws drill out the cross after
driving'. You'll need quite a drill for modern wood screws...
--
*Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?
                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
An example, ever tried dry-wall screws? Does it not LOOK like a cross
from above once home??

AND if you drilled off the cross - would it be impossible to remove?

Hence, cheap security (screw)?

You can go away also!

A gift link it was?
http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p1.html
"nightjar" .me.uk>
2008-06-25 07:35:51 UTC
<***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message news:2c996527-f537-4d7a-a325-***@z66g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
On Jun 25, 12:05 am, "Dave Plowman (News)" <***@davenoise.co.uk>
wrote:
Post by B***@hotmail.co.uk
AND if you drilled off the cross - would it be impossible to remove?
Hence, cheap security (screw)?..
The point being made is that many modern screws are made from hardened
steel, which will destroy the drill tip first.

Colin Bignell.
Dave Plowman (News)
2008-06-25 09:40:54 UTC
Post by "nightjar" .me.uk>
Post by B***@hotmail.co.uk
AND if you drilled off the cross - would it be impossible to remove?
Hence, cheap security (screw)?..
The point being made is that many modern screws are made from hardened
steel, which will destroy the drill tip first.
Indeed. Should have been obvious to lack of brains if he'd ever tried any
of his 'tips'.
Post by "nightjar" .me.uk>
Colin Bignell.
--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

The Wanderer
2008-06-25 11:20:47 UTC
Post by "nightjar" .me.uk>
Post by B***@hotmail.co.uk
AND if you drilled off the cross - would it be impossible to remove?
Hence, cheap security (screw)?..
The point being made is that many modern screws are made from hardened
steel, which will destroy the drill tip first.
Funny you should say that, I was mounting a hose reel a couple of days ago,
screws supplied. Th'only problem was they seemed to be made of an aluminium
alloy. Quickly replaced with decent screws once one of them started to turn
out.......
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
The Wanderer
2008-06-25 06:23:34 UTC
Post by tim.....
Post by B***@hotmail.co.uk
http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p1.html
What's a: "metel 'G' cramp"
Why is there an apostrophe in: Alway's
And the mine boggles as to why I might want to wrap solder around the end of
a pencil.
(I gave up at that point)
Well, the one thing that 'BrainsHere' can be certain about is that he won't
ever be taken seriously. He can also be pretty certain that he'll quickly
finish up in quite a few KFs.
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
m***@care2.com
2008-06-24 22:08:15 UTC
Post by B***@hotmail.co.uk
http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p1.html
Unique? wonder why no-one else is suggesting them!

NT
B***@hotmail.co.uk
2008-06-24 23:05:10 UTC
Post by m***@care2.com
Post by B***@hotmail.co.uk
http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p1.html
Unique? wonder why no-one else is suggesting them!
NT
I NOW live here, you lot post crap!

And I can eat you all (RE: DIY).

No problem!

A gift link it was?
http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p1.html

I feel you want more, comming up (as dick breath would
wright).............
jake
2008-06-24 23:42:22 UTC
Post by B***@hotmail.co.uk
Post by m***@care2.com
Post by B***@hotmail.co.uk
http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p1.html
Unique? wonder why no-one else is suggesting them!
NT
I NOW live here, you lot post crap!
And I can eat you all (RE: DIY).
Wishful thinking.
And as to the "drilling of screw heads", this is as old as Barry
Bucknell. You can also guarantee that minutes after drilling, you will
want to remove the screws yourself.
B***@hotmail.co.uk
2008-06-24 23:52:45 UTC
Post by jake
Post by B***@hotmail.co.uk
Post by m***@care2.com
Post by B***@hotmail.co.uk
http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p1.html
Unique? wonder why no-one else is suggesting them!
NT
I NOW live here, you lot post crap!
And I can eat you all (RE: DIY).
Wishful thinking.
And as to the "drilling of screw heads", this is as old as Barry
Bucknell. You can also guarantee that minutes after drilling, you will
want to remove the screws yourself.
Then wy drill? However......

Please let:-

Dave Plowman (News)

Know?
Ta.

http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p1.html
Cheers.
B***@hotmail.co.uk
2008-06-25 00:01:28 UTC
Post by jake
Post by B***@hotmail.co.uk
Post by m***@care2.com
Post by B***@hotmail.co.uk
http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p1.html
Unique? wonder why no-one else is suggesting them!
NT
I NOW live here, you lot post crap!
And I can eat you all (RE: DIY).
Wishful thinking.
And as to the "drilling of screw heads", this is as old as Barry
Bucknell. You can also guarantee that minutes after drilling, you will
want to remove the screws yourself.
If you wish to remove a screw 'with no head', what you do?

I of course know, and for you lot to work out and probably tell the
World (nice one)? GOOD move I say!

http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p1.html
m***@care2.com
2008-06-25 03:11:44 UTC
Post by B***@hotmail.co.uk
Post by jake
Post by B***@hotmail.co.uk
Post by m***@care2.com
Post by B***@hotmail.co.uk
http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p1.html
Unique? wonder why no-one else is suggesting them!
NT
I NOW live here, you lot post crap!
And I can eat you all (RE: DIY).
Wishful thinking.
And as to the "drilling of screw heads", this is as old as Barry
Bucknell. You can also guarantee that minutes after drilling, you will
want to remove the screws yourself.
If you wish to remove a screw 'with no head', what you do?
I of course know, and for you lot to work out and probably tell the
World (nice one)? GOOD move I say!
http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p1.html
Here's our take on it:
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Screws#Removing_a_Damaged_Screw

NT
m***@care2.com
2008-06-25 04:03:49 UTC
Pencil Saver
Wrap a piece of soldering wire around the un-sharpened end
whats that meant to do?
Divide Any Flat Material Into Equal Amounts
Turn rule at an angle across stock and tick off where required
what do you mean?

NT
John Rumm
2008-06-25 08:42:15 UTC
Post by m***@care2.com
Divide Any Flat Material Into Equal Amounts
Turn rule at an angle across stock and tick off where required
what do you mean?
Its actually quite a useful technique, but you would be forgiven for not
understanding what was meant from the rather cryptic explanation given
there.

Say you want to divide a 10" board into three equal segments. Rather
than work out 10/3 and then mark off 3.3" sections, you pick some nice
round number points on your tape - say 4, 8, & 12". Now measure
diagonally across the board such that the start of the tape is on one
edge, and the 12" point is on the other edge. Your 4" and 8" markings
will now be indicating the exact thirds points.

In technical terms you are simply marking points on the hypotenuse
rather than the straight across line, the points will be in the same
position across the board, but you get to choose the length of the
hypotenuse by varying the angle, and hence can pick easy to divide numbers.
--
Cheers,

John.

m***@care2.com
2008-06-25 18:15:24 UTC
Post by John Rumm
Post by m***@care2.com
[...]
Ahh ty - neat idea.

I thought the suggestion to sew through emery board an especially bad
one. Not only would it shag the needle it would also soon shag the
machine.

Brain shere did have some good ideas among that lot, and if s/he gets
a bit more realistic could be a valuable contributor.

NT
Chris J Dixon
2008-06-26 07:42:07 UTC
Post by m***@care2.com
Brain shere did have some good ideas among that lot, and if s/he gets
a bit more realistic could be a valuable contributor.
But was the list home grown, or simply a list they happened
across somewhere?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
***@cdixon.me.uk

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Dave Plowman (News)
2008-06-26 09:08:43 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by m***@care2.com
Brain shere did have some good ideas among that lot, and if s/he gets
a bit more realistic could be a valuable contributor.
But was the list home grown, or simply a list they happened
across somewhere?
They're certainly not all original thought as I've read several elsewhere.
The quality of the prose and grammar suggests not just cut and paste
though. ;-)
Post by Chris J Dixon
Chris
--
*What am I? Flypaper for freaks!?

John Rumm
2008-06-26 09:36:15 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by m***@care2.com
Brain shere did have some good ideas among that lot, and if s/he gets
a bit more realistic could be a valuable contributor.
But was the list home grown, or simply a list they happened
across somewhere?
They're certainly not all original thought as I've read several elsewhere.
The quality of the prose and grammar suggests not just cut and paste
though. ;-)
Indeed. See here:

http://gmrowland.com/general-diy-tips.htm

Seems to be TMH ain't the only one to get people ripping off his web
site ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm
2008-06-26 09:32:28 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by m***@care2.com
Brain shere did have some good ideas among that lot, and if s/he gets
a bit more realistic could be a valuable contributor.
But was the list home grown, or simply a list they happened
across somewhere?
I expect it was a collection of "stuff" to improve the search rankings
of his web site. He spammed it out to a few unrelated groups the other day.

Characteristically they usually hit and run after making some noise.
--
Cheers,

John.

Geo
2008-06-27 15:33:38 UTC
Post by John Rumm
I expect it was a collection of "stuff" to improve the search rankings
of his web site. He spammed it out to a few unrelated groups the other day.
Characteristically they usually hit and run after making some noise.
He has just appeared in uk.rec.gardening with the same crap.

Geo
"nightjar" .me.uk>
2008-06-26 20:57:04 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by m***@care2.com
Brain shere did have some good ideas among that lot, and if s/he gets
a bit more realistic could be a valuable contributor.
But was the list home grown, or simply a list they happened
across somewhere?
I read 'as featured in Prima magazine (October 2003)' as meaning that was
the source, rather than being an accolade for the site. The tips certainly
have the feel of things submitted by magazine readers.

Colin Bignell
John Stumbles
2008-06-27 18:46:32 UTC
Post by "nightjar" .me.uk>
I read 'as featured in Prima magazine (October 2003)' as meaning that
was the source, rather than being an accolade for the site. The tips
certainly have the feel of things submitted by magazine readers.
You'd have hoped a magazine might have a proof reader though?
--
John Stumbles

Extreme moderate
tim.....

drill out the rest of the head
Dave Plowman (News)
2008-06-25 18:22:43 UTC
Post by B***@hotmail.co.uk
Post by jake
Wishful thinking.
And as to the "drilling of screw heads", this is as old as Barry
Bucknell. You can also guarantee that minutes after drilling, you will
want to remove the screws yourself.
If you wish to remove a screw 'with no head', what you do?
drill out the rest of the head
Yes. The idea of making a security screw by drilling out the cross head is
stupid. All a thief needs to do is carry on drilling and remove the lock
etc. Proper security screws are hardened to prevent drilling.
--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch *

Mike Dodd
2008-06-26 07:34:08 UTC
Post by m***@care2.com
Post by B***@hotmail.co.uk
http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p1.html
Unique? wonder why no-one else is suggesting them!
NT
Possibly because some of us have more than half a brain.

Anyone else shocked at some of the potentially dangerous suggestions...
(G-cramps instead of spanner, using an incorrectly sized spanner and a
coin shim, using an inappropriate sole-plate from an iron as an anvil,
scraper fashioned from a bulldog clip and a razor blade)

Maybe these are all ideas that we would consider in the safety and
privacy of our own homes, but to publish these (in that last bastion of
DIY literature, "Primacy magazine", no less) is asking for trouble.

Most of the other ideas are either plain daft, too specific, too obvious
or impracticable.

Hopefully Brainshere will get bored and bugger off elsewhere. Or read
the more useful and intelligent information generally on uk.d-i-y and
get a clue.
Mike Dodd
2008-06-26 07:40:31 UTC
Post by Mike Dodd
DIY literature, "Primacy magazine", no less) is asking for trouble.
*"Prima"... my bad... spent all morning looking for tyres (Michelin),
hence brain-fade.
YAPH
2008-06-25 12:20:30 UTC
Post by B***@hotmail.co.uk
http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p1.html
Some useful stuff, some I'm sure as old as the hills, and some bollocks :-)

"Plumber's Always Use Grips To Tighten Compression Fittings
Show me one with a proper fitting spanner, 15/16" for the 15mm"

A fixed-size spanner for compression nuts doesn't work because not all
compresssion nuts are the same size. I use a good-quality adjustable
(Bahco). I hardly ever use grips. But would you expect a carpenter and
joiner (however skilled) to be an authority on plumbing? :-)

I'm not sure 'As featured in PRIMA magazine" is the highest recommendation
I would aim for for a trade and skilled-DIYer-orineted website, and if I
were wanting the website to promote my business I'd get the spelling,
punctuation and capitalisation right. But then I don't know what a
tradesperson's website is doing under a hotel site anyway.

However if I were in the area and market for Mr Brains' services his
intemperate responses to regular uk.d-i-yers who've obviously bothered to
read and respond to his post and web page would make be decide against it
PDQ.
--
YAPH http://yaph.co.uk

Things don't like being anthropomorphised.