LED Bulb life outside?
Brian
2024-02-10 18:09:18 UTC
We have several outside lights (5) which are controlled by a automatic
switches to come on at dusk, although we generally switch some of them off
if we are around, when they are linked to the security cameras. In simple
terms, 3 get turned on at dusk and off at dawn. 2 may be turned on at
dusk, turned off manually, and possibly triggered a couple of times before
dawn ( cats / foxes ).

I used to use CFL bulbs, which had a very long life- years. When they
finally failed, I switched to LED bulbs. They have a much shorter life. I
replace 2 or 3 per year at least. Brand seems to make no difference. I’ve
tried IKEA, B&Q ones, currently some from Amazon.

In terms of on/ off cycles, they have an ‘easy life’ - three are turned on
/ off once in 24 hrs. They don’t seem to last any longer than the one which
see a few more cycles, in fact they seem to fail more often.

LED bulbs elsewhere seem to last.

I popped the top of one, one of the LEDs in the array. had fried. Of
course, the others may have failed in a different way.

Ideas?
Tim+
2024-02-10 18:19:01 UTC
Post by Brian
[...]
Were the fittings designed for LED bulbs? They really don’t take kindly to
fittings that don’t allow adequate heat dissipation.

Tim
Please don't feed the trolls
Brian
2024-02-10 20:11:59 UTC
Post by Tim+
Post by Brian
[...]
They are sealed metal ones, although I have checked them when on with on of
those thermometers you point and get a reading and, even after a couple of
hours on, they don’t get much above ambient. I suppose the bulb could be
getting hot but it seems unlikely.
Joe
2024-02-10 18:28:52 UTC
On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 18:09:18 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Brian
[...]
LEDs run much cooler than incandescent or QI, but they still get hot.
Do the enclosures have ventilation? I have a LED outside light but it
is PIR controlled and probably spends no more than five minutes a day
on, about one minute at a time.

There can be heat problems with indoor LED lamps if they are fitted to
lampholders which do not allow enough circulation, even though the lamp
isn't sealed.
Joe
John Rumm
2024-02-11 11:06:35 UTC
Post by Brian
[...]
I think all my outside lamps are LED... and failure rates has been very
low - possibly even zero (they were incandescent - but got replaced with
LED when those failed - not sure if I have ever replaced a LED one).
Mostly PIR switched (apart from one where the PIR has failed "on", and I
have not got round to fixing it yet!)

I only run filament style LEDs[1] though which may make a difference
(the higher voltage across the "strings" of LED make for simpler PSU
designs).

[1] Mostly lantern or half lantern style fittings where the bulb is
visible - so conventional GLS style LEDs look fugly.
--
Cheers,

John.

Adam Funk
2024-02-14 12:32:30 UTC
Post by John Rumm
Post by Brian
[...]
Same here (except for the failed PIR). I do have to replace indoor LED
lamps occasionally.
www.GymRatZ.co.uk
2024-02-11 12:06:35 UTC
Post by Brian
We have several outside lights (5) which are controlled by a automatic
switches to come on at dusk, although we generally switch some of them off
if we are around, when they are linked to the security cameras. In simple
terms, 3 get turned on at dusk and off at dawn. 2 may be turned on at
dusk, turned off manually, and possibly triggered a couple of times before
dawn ( cats / foxes ).
<snip>
Post by Brian
In terms of on/ off cycles, they have an ‘easy life’ - three are turned on
/ off once in 24 hrs. They don’t seem to last any longer than the one which
see a few more cycles, in fact they seem to fail more often.
When I wired the extension about 6 or so years ago I put 11 or 12
dimmable 6w LED's in the horizontal soffits plus a wall light above the
door entry key-pad and wired them up to a simple dusk/dawn sensor (no
PIR) then into a PIR detector in parallel with an LED compatible dimmer
switch.
The dimmer was adjusted to the minimum level at which all bulbs would
illuminate (some would drop off if dimmed too much).

Dusk - lights are on and stay on dimmed all night.
People walking past the house + cats foxes etc trigger the PIR which
then bypasses the dimmer so all lights are full power for around 10
minutes before dropping back to a dimmed state. This happens a lot in
the longer nights as it's a popular route for local dog walkers,
obviously much less in the summer.

I presume the dimmed-to-full state and back means they only have a
single on-off cycle each 24 hour period and spend most of their life
just trickling along at minimum output.

To date no bulbs have failed although the white powder coating om the
downlighters is now peeing off where the Aluminium has oxidised
underneath.

I must say it is one of my finer wiring creations.

Wago connectors were my very best friend!

Cheers
Pete
The Natural Philosopher
2024-02-11 20:19:53 UTC
.
Post by www.GymRatZ.co.uk
To date no bulbs have failed although the white powder coating om the
downlighters is now peeing off where the Aluminium has oxidised underneath.
I must say it is one of my finer wiring creations.
Wago connectors were my very best friend!
I've been replacing lights of all sorts with LEDs in the last 6 years here.

MANY have failed. But not as many as CFL bulbs did. ALL my CFLS went
dim. took ages to come on and made stuff look like a horror movie. I've
got about 15 that I removed that still sort of work but are really
unsatisfactory. I should smash them

Some LEDS have died. Some have gone dim. Some just went flickery.
Especially dimmables.

I think the fact is that the LEDs are fine, but cramming crude and cheap
drive circuitry into bulb bases has been a bit hit and miss.

But it is getting better.

My 12V spotlights are better and brighter than the halogens they
replaced. And seem rock solid.

But the ordinary bulb replacements have often been flaky.

I think overall even with the premature deaths I am still up financially
on the incandescents. And the LEDS don't trip the whole lighting
circuit when they die.

LEDS are the future of lighting, and there may be more to come in the
way of thin-film organic LED *panels* .

Just hang in there and the driver lifetimes and quality will improve.
--
“A leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
“We did this ourselves.”

― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
www.GymRatZ.co.uk
2024-02-14 11:15:41 UTC
Post by www.GymRatZ.co.uk
I presume the dimmed-to-full state and back means they only have a
single on-off cycle each 24 hour period and spend most of their life
just trickling along at minimum output.
Just noticed last night that when the lights switched from full state to
dimmes they do switch off completely for half a second so they are
actually havimg a full cycle eack PIR activation but perhaps not having
chance to cool is reducing wear.
Yoty Randy
2024-02-14 21:04:36 UTC
click on the telegram link
https://t.me/YotyRandy842
https://t.me/YotyRandy842
https://t.me/YotyRandy842
https://t.me/YotyRandy842
https://t.me/YotyRandy842

Get other Affordable products like DMT Crystals Online | buy ayahuasca online | buy 5 meo dmt cartridge | 4 AcO DMT 4 acetoxy DMT Analytical 1mg | 5 Meo DMT Cartridge 1mL Deadhead Chemis | 5 Meo DMT Cartridge 5mL Deadhead Chemis | 5 Meo DMT Cartridge 5mL MMD Cosmo | 5 Meo DMT 5mL Deadhead Chemist | 5 MEO DMT 5ml 150mg | 5 meo dmt | 4-AcO-DMT For Sale

Purchase from your best, fast and safe online shop to get platinum quality microdosing psychedelics products online, Health wise, pain anxiety pills, hallucinogens and research chemicals online. Be 100% assured of the quality of products and you can also buy legal hallucinogens at a cheaper rate. Your satisfaction is our top priority

ORDER DIRECTLY ON OUR TELEGRAM https://t.me/YotyRandy842

Buy DMT Crystals Online

buy ayahuasca online

buy 5 meo dmt cartridge
4 AcO DMT 4 acetoxy DMT Analytical 1mg

5 Meo DMT Cartridge 1mL Deadhead Chemis

5 Meo DMT Cartridge 5mL Deadhead Chemist

5 Meo DMT Cartridge 5mL MMD Cosmo

5 Meo DMT 5mL Deadhead Chemist

5 MEO DMT 5ml 150mg

5 meo dmt

4-AcO-DMT For Sale

5 Meo DMT 5mL Deadhead Chemist

Blu Bijou Psilocybin Chocolate Bar

Blu Bijou Jewels
Mastermind Blue Raspberry Gummy Frogs

Wonder Psilocybin Milk Chocolate bars

Bright Future Gummies Strawbery Lemonad
Bright Future Gummies Raspberry

Buy Wonder Bar

Bright Future Nootropic Gummies Mojito

Wonder Psilocybin Gummies Watermelon
Wonder Psilocybin Gummies Cherry Cola

Wonder Psilocybin Gummies

Wonder Psilocybin Dark Chocolate Bar

Wonder Psilocybin Gummies Blackberry

Wonder Psilocybin Chocolate Bar Cookies

Ground Sounds Microdose Capsules

Ground Sounds Microdose Capsules Stevie

Ground Sounds Microdose Champion Lover

Wonder Chocolate Bar Orange
https://t.me/YotyRandy842
https://t.me/YotyRandy842
https://t.me/YotyRandy842
https://t.me/YotyRandy842
https://t.me/YotyRandy842
Brian Gaff
2024-02-11 13:00:55 UTC
That implies they are overheating then. I guess if its sealed as an outside
enclosure would be then maybe all the designs you tries are for free air
cooling. There are probably some with a more conservative design that cannot
get so hot. Of course the cooler the power supply or led is running, the
less its wasting power and the longer its life.
Brian
--
--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
Ideas?
Harry Bloomfield Esq
2024-02-11 19:38:49 UTC
Post by Brian
They have a much shorter life. I
replace 2 or 3 per year at least. Brand seems to make no difference. I’ve
tried IKEA, B&Q ones, currently some from Amazon.
I suffered a similar short life issue, of LED lamps, in outdoor
enclosures. The eventual fix, was to simply improve the ventilation.
Brian
2024-02-12 08:43:19 UTC
Post by Harry Bloomfield Esq
Post by Brian
They have a much shorter life. I
replace 2 or 3 per year at least. Brand seems to make no difference. I’ve
tried IKEA, B&Q ones, currently some from Amazon.
I suffered a similar short life issue, of LED lamps, in outdoor
enclosures. The eventual fix, was to simply improve the ventilation.
Ventilation and being water tight aren’t exactly easy to achieve.

Perhaps I’ll try and find some Cfls and stock up.
Rod Speed
2024-02-12 09:01:15 UTC
=
Post by Harry Bloomfield Esq
Post by Brian
I=E2=80=99ve
tried IKEA, B&Q ones, currently some from Amazon.
I suffered a similar short life issue, of LED lamps, in outdoor
enclosures. The eventual fix, was to simply improve the ventilation.
Ventilation and being water tight aren=E2=80=99t exactly easy to achie=
ve.

The Philips Hue externals do that fine.
Perhaps I=E2=80=99ll try and find some Cfls and stock up.
Mad.
Peeler
2024-02-12 09:10:20 UTC
On Mon, 12 Feb 2024 20:01:15 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rodent Speed:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
MID: <***@mid.individual.net>
Fredxx
2024-02-12 09:38:00 UTC
Post by Brian
They have a much shorter life. I
replace 2 or 3 per year at least. Brand seems to make no difference. I’ve
tried IKEA, B&Q ones, currently some from Amazon.
I suffered a similar short life issue, of LED lamps, in outdoor
enclosures. The eventual fix, was to simply improve the ventilation.
Ventilation and being water tight aren’t exactly easy to achieve.
The Philips Hue externals do that fine.
Do you own shares in Philips?

Are Philips Hue externals both water-tight and allow ventilation? I
might have thought the laws of physics would have got in the way?
Rod Speed
2024-02-12 17:03:15 UTC
Post by Fredxx
Post by Rod Speed
Post by Harry Bloomfield Esq
I=E2=80=99ve
Post by Fredxx
Post by Rod Speed
The Philips Hue externals do that fine.
Do you own shares in Philips?
Nope. And so few use usenet that I wouldnt
bother to spruik Hues even if I did.
Post by Fredxx
Are Philips Hue externals both water-tight and allow ventilation?
They don't get hot enough to need anything special ventilation
wise and the externals are complete, so you can't put them where
they don't get enough ventilation and the electronics is potted.
Not when you design them properly so they don't get hot, stupid.
Peeler
2024-02-12 17:47:34 UTC
On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 04:03:15 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

***@home to retarded trolling senile Rodent:
"sod off rod you don't have a clue about anything."
Post by Brian
They have a much shorter life. I
replace 2 or 3 per year at least. Brand seems to make no difference. I’ve
tried IKEA, B&Q ones, currently some from Amazon.
I suffered a similar short life issue, of LED lamps, in outdoor
enclosures. The eventual fix, was to simply improve the ventilation.
Ventilation and being water tight aren’t exactly easy to achieve.
No need for water tightness. Juts make sure there is a roof on top!
Post by Brian
Perhaps I’ll try and find some Cfls and stock up.
How many do you want?
twenty-first century’s developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Fredxx
2024-02-12 11:17:41 UTC
Post by Brian
They have a much shorter life. I
replace 2 or 3 per year at least. Brand seems to make no difference. I’ve
tried IKEA, B&Q ones, currently some from Amazon.
I suffered a similar short life issue, of LED lamps, in outdoor
enclosures. The eventual fix, was to simply improve the ventilation.
Ventilation and being water tight aren’t exactly easy to achieve.
Perhaps I’ll try and find some Cfls and stock up.
LEDs run cooler. Best use a low wattage LED lamp.

I was going to say that a silicone spray that might keep water out of a
fitting but I see some websites claim it goes hard and shouldn't be used
on electrical fittings. However it seems silicone grease is ok.

Might also have ramifications on the thread re oven lamp!
Scott
2024-02-15 16:36:34 UTC
On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 18:09:18 -0000 (UTC), Brian <***@lid.org> wrote:
[snip]
Post by Brian
LED bulbs elsewhere seem to last.
I popped the top of one, one of the LEDs in the array. had fried. Of
course, the others may have failed in a different way.
Ideas?
Does brand and cost make much difference? I always buy Philips and I
don't think I have encountered any problems (inside, that is).

I bought some 12 Volt spotlights online and they produced horrendous
radio frequency interference, even stopping my DAB radio working at
all.
Animal
2024-02-16 22:33:34 UTC
Post by Scott
[snip]
Post by Brian
LED bulbs elsewhere seem to last.
I popped the top of one, one of the LEDs in the array. had fried. Of
course, the others may have failed in a different way.
Ideas?
Does brand and cost make much difference? I always buy Philips and I
don't think I have encountered any problems (inside, that is).
I bought some 12 Volt spotlights online and they produced horrendous
radio frequency interference, even stopping my DAB radio working at
all.
A fried LED can often be shorted & it works again. Need plenty of watts in your iron, as the LEDs are usually on an ali backing.