Battery operated thermostat
Add Reply
Tim Lamb
2024-10-16 17:30:54 UTC
I suppose 5 years is a good life for a battery operated thermostat.
However, fitting a replacement battery has not restored it to life:-(
Perhaps left flat over the Summer.

Heatmiser Slimline V2 is now discontinued and the alternative does not
have a remote thermistor input function. Underfloor heating control for
the bosses bathroom, zone issues!

Lots once used on E Bay....

Any suggestions?
Tim Lamb
The Natural Philosopher
2024-10-16 18:46:38 UTC
Post by Tim Lamb
I suppose 5 years is a good life for a battery operated thermostat.
However, fitting a replacement battery has not restored it to life:-(
Perhaps left flat over the Summer.
Heatmiser Slimline V2 is now discontinued and the alternative does not
have a remote thermistor input function. Underfloor heating control for
the bosses bathroom, zone issues!
Lots once used on E Bay....
Any suggestions?
I've got a 3 channel wired controller plus a radio stat and its mains
powered receiver unit spare now...

If that is any use.

Or a PCB with a 15A relay and a Pi Pico and a temperature sensor in it.
--
"Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
higher education positively fortifies it."

- Stephen Vizinczey
Tim Lamb
2024-10-16 19:45:43 UTC
Post by The Natural Philosopher
Post by Tim Lamb
I suppose 5 years is a good life for a battery operated thermostat.
However, fitting a replacement battery has not restored it to life:-(
Perhaps left flat over the Summer.
Heatmiser Slimline V2 is now discontinued and the alternative does
not have a remote thermistor input function. Underfloor heating
control for the bosses bathroom, zone issues!
Lots once used on E Bay....
Any suggestions?
I've got a 3 channel wired controller plus a radio stat and its mains
powered receiver unit spare now...
Bathroom zoning issue. The sensor location is on the wall reachable from
her bath!

I went for a battery version as mains power is managed by the underfloor
heating system/time control.

The defunct unit is fitted on the outside of the bathroom wall and wired
back to the zone manifold control.
Tim Lamb
The Natural Philosopher
2024-10-16 20:36:44 UTC
Post by Tim Lamb
I suppose 5 years is a good life for a battery operated thermostat.
However, fitting a replacement battery has not restored it to life:-(
Perhaps left flat over the Summer.
 Heatmiser Slimline V2 is now discontinued and the alternative does
not  have a remote thermistor input function. Underfloor heating
control for  the bosses bathroom, zone issues!
 Lots once used on E Bay....
 Any suggestions?
I've got a 3 channel wired controller plus a radio stat and its mains
powered receiver unit spare  now...
Bathroom zoning issue. The sensor location is on the wall reachable from
her bath!
Thst OK. This statt is battery poowered. Tlaks 400Mhz to a mains
powereed relay box.
Post by Tim Lamb
I went for a battery version as mains power is managed by the underfloor
heating system/time control.
The defunct unit is fitted on the outside of the bathroom wall and wired
back to the zone manifold control.
What I have might suit,

It's very simply a battery powered thermostat (Sunvic TLX7506) that
talks to a rather large box (Sunvic TLX1206) that contains a mains relay.

It's surplus as I replaced its functionality with Raspberry Pis and
clever software and wifi.

Also surplus is a Newlec three zone timed CH controller. (ChannelPlus
H37XL Series 2)
Tim Lamb
2024-10-17 07:58:39 UTC
Post by Tim Lamb
I went for a battery version as mains power is managed by the
underfloor heating system/time control.
The defunct unit is fitted on the outside of the bathroom wall and
wired back to the zone manifold control.
What I have might suit,
It's very simply a battery powered thermostat (Sunvic TLX7506) that
talks to a rather large box (Sunvic TLX1206) that contains a mains relay.
It's surplus as I replaced its functionality with Raspberry Pis and
clever software and wifi.
Also surplus is a Newlec three zone timed CH controller. (ChannelPlus
H37XL Series 2)
Technologically upmarket for my needs:-) But thanks for your interest.

Current thinking is to use the existing buried cable to extend the
thermistor leads back to the airing cupboard where I have mains power
and can use a conventional unit.
Takes the control out of user reach which may be seen as a benefit:-)
Tim Lamb
SteveW
2024-10-17 12:28:56 UTC
Post by Tim Lamb
I suppose 5 years is a good life for a battery operated thermostat.
However, fitting a replacement battery has not restored it to life:-
( Perhaps left flat over the Summer.
We have 7 combined timer/stats (for individually controlled rooms) -
they are 21 years old and still work fine. One has had a relay contact
fail. I could have replaced the relay, but I just swapped from the
heating to the cooling contact and switched the mode to cooling ... whch
means that it works fine, but has the operating symbol on, when it is
actually off and vice-versa.
Tim Lamb
2024-10-17 15:49:37 UTC
Post by SteveW
Post by Tim Lamb
I suppose 5 years is a good life for a battery operated thermostat.
However, fitting a replacement battery has not restored it to life:-
( Perhaps left flat over the Summer.
We have 7 combined timer/stats (for individually controlled rooms) -
they are 21 years old and still work fine. One has had a relay contact
fail. I could have replaced the relay, but I just swapped from the
heating to the cooling contact and switched the mode to cooling ...
whch means that it works fine, but has the operating symbol on, when it
is actually off and vice-versa.
The planned solution is to use a simple remote Thermistor operated
thermostat.
It won't function during *heating off* periods but should do the same
job otherwise.
Having discovered that the battery powered controller purchased as a
replacement had no provision for use with an external sensor, I was
tempted to remove the on-board one and connect to the existing.
--
Tim Lamb