It is giving me the Rats.
Add Reply
pinnerite
2021-10-13 18:26:45 UTC
Two of my oldest friends live in a first floor flat in a very nice area.
both are disabled, one suffering from dementia.

The last thing they need is rats but apperently they have somehow got into upper cupboards in the kitchen and nibled packets of food.

It appears there are holes in the wall in several places.

The wife is one of those people who takes advice from several sources, much of which conflicting. A search on the www brought articles from people selling stuff.

My view is to fill the void with foam and plaster up behind it, leaving no trace.
Others say they eat the hardened foam. Yet more talk about wire wool. They tried that and the rats appear to have seen it as no obstalce at all.

Scents recommended by some are pooh-poohed by others.

Is there anyone with experience of these things that can offer advice?

TIA
--
Mint 20.2, kernel 5.4.0-88-generic, Cinnamon 5.0.5
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.
Andrew
2021-10-13 18:35:12 UTC
Post by pinnerite
Two of my oldest friends live in a first floor flat in a very nice area.
both are disabled, one suffering from dementia.
The last thing they need is rats but apperently they have somehow got into upper cupboards in the kitchen and nibled packets of food.
It appears there are holes in the wall in several places.
The wife is one of those people who takes advice from several sources, much of which conflicting. A search on the www brought articles from people selling stuff.
My view is to fill the void with foam and plaster up behind it, leaving no trace.
Others say they eat the hardened foam. Yet more talk about wire wool. They tried that and the rats appear to have seen it as no obstalce at all.
Scents recommended by some are pooh-poohed by others.
Is there anyone with experience of these things that can offer advice?
TIA
Mix broken glass into a good mortar mix and (carefully) seal the
holes with that.
ARW
2021-10-13 18:54:24 UTC
Post by pinnerite
Two of my oldest friends live in a first floor flat in a very nice area.
both are disabled, one suffering from dementia.
The last thing they need is rats but apperently they have somehow got into upper cupboards in the kitchen and nibled packets of food.
It appears there are holes in the wall in several places.
The wife is one of those people who takes advice from several sources, much of which conflicting. A search on the www brought articles from people selling stuff.
My view is to fill the void with foam and plaster up behind it, leaving no trace.
Others say they eat the hardened foam. Yet more talk about wire wool. They tried that and the rats appear to have seen it as no obstalce at all.
Scents recommended by some are pooh-poohed by others.
Is there anyone with experience of these things that can offer advice?
Fuck.

BTDTGTTS.

But in a house with a 6 foot void under the ground floor floorboards not
in a first floor flat.

They never haver appeared again after the foam filled the holes in the
floorboards.

Packets of food were made rat proof ie plastic containers.

All the best with this one.

These fuckers can find anyway in. It needs to be every hole that you fill.

Adam
newshound
2021-10-14 10:22:46 UTC
Post by ARW
Packets of food were made rat proof ie plastic containers.
Ha! I once bought a box of rat poison (the shaped briquette type) which
came in a tupperware / ice cream carton type polyethylene container.

One day I found this with the lid and corner completely chewed off, and
all the bait gone.

Didn't have a rat problem after this for some time. (This was in a
stables where they are virtually impossible to eliminate, even with cats
and terriers).
Chris Bacon
2021-10-13 20:00:01 UTC
Post by pinnerite
The last thing they need is rats but apperently they have somehow got into upper cupboards in the kitchen and nibled packets of food.
It appears there are holes in the wall in several places.
You need to find where they are coming from.
Post by pinnerite
The wife is one of those people who takes advice from several sources, much of which conflicting. A search on the www brought articles from people selling stuff.
My view is to fill the void with foam and plaster up behind it, leaving no trace.
Others say they eat the hardened foam. Yet more talk about wire wool. They tried that and the rats appear to have seen it as no obstalce at all.
Find out where they are getting in.
Post by pinnerite
Is there anyone with experience of these things that can offer advice?
Find ou where they're coming from, and fix it. Find out why they're
coming, too - bird food in the gardens? Something nasty nex door?
Brian Gaff (Sofa)
2021-10-14 07:02:06 UTC
All I do know is that as rats are mostly incontinent, find out exactly where
their runs are and block them off. They may find another way in, but they
must be coining in for a reason so also make sure this is very well sealed
away.
As its in a kitchen, don't use products there, try to find where they
live/breed. I'd be tempted to get in a professional myself though.
Martin Brown
2021-10-14 09:13:39 UTC
Post by pinnerite
Two of my oldest friends live in a first floor flat in a very nice area.
both are disabled, one suffering from dementia.
The last thing they need is rats but apperently they have somehow got into upper cupboards in the kitchen and nibled packets of food.
It appears there are holes in the wall in several places.
The wife is one of those people who takes advice from several sources, much of which conflicting. A search on the www brought articles from people selling stuff.
Best advice if they don't know what to do is contact local council pest
control. They will be experienced and have access to poisons and traps
that will actually kill rats in your locality. Some rats are virtually
immune to some of the poisons supposed to control them these days.

https://www.gov.uk/report-pest-problem
Post by pinnerite
My view is to fill the void with foam and plaster up behind it, leaving no trace.
Others say they eat the hardened foam. Yet more talk about wire wool. They tried that and the rats appear to have seen it as no obstalce at all.
Rats are pretty good at digging through obstacles and squeezing through
tight spaces. They find steel mesh rather more difficult. Mice are even
better at it and where you have one you quite likely have the other.
Post by pinnerite
Scents recommended by some are pooh-poohed by others.
Waste of time. Likewise for ultrasonic rat scarers.

If there is food easily available for the taking then they will keep
coming back for more once they have found it.
Post by pinnerite
Is there anyone with experience of these things that can offer advice?
Local council pest control would be the most obvious choice.

You could DIY reinforced mortar repairs to all the obvious holes in the
walls. I am surprised that rats can get into a high cupboard without
there being a hole in the cupboard somewhere.

One immediate quick fix is to put everything food like inside a plastic
container so that they cannot nibble into a packet on the shelf.

PITA I know but you have to prevent them getting access to any food or
they will keep coming back and multiply exponentially. Winter isn't a
bad time to use rat poison since they don't stink as much as they would
in summer but you need the professional licensed stuff. The rubbish sold
to domestic users most rats can actually consume without any problems!
(although it is quite toxic to humans)

The balance of using poisons or rat traps in a kitchen where there is
someone with a mental impairment is fraught with difficulty. Rat traps
will break the fingers of an unwary setter and they are hair trigger.
Poisons that work are dangerous to handle and not ideal in a food
preparation setting. I expect practitioners know how to manage the
risks. Pests in (commercial) kitchens are a common occurrence.

I don't think this is easily solvable as a DIY project. YMMV
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Jonathan
2021-10-14 10:01:30 UTC
Post by pinnerite
Is there anyone with experience of these things that can offer advice?
Local council pest control would be the most obvious choice.
You could DIY reinforced mortar repairs to all the obvious holes in the
walls. I am surprised that rats can get into a high cupboard without
there being a hole in the cupboard somewhere.
One immediate quick fix is to put everything food like inside a plastic
container so that they cannot nibble into a packet on the shelf.
They try to niblle through the dustbin lid where I keep bird food, so I am not sure they wouldn't get into plastic containers.

Jonathan
Martin Brown
2021-10-14 11:43:29 UTC
Post by Jonathan
Post by Martin Brown
One immediate quick fix is to put everything food like inside a plastic
container so that they cannot nibble into a packet on the shelf.
They try to niblle through the dustbin lid where I keep bird food, so I am not sure they wouldn't get into plastic containers.
They will eventually but if it has mostly rounded edges then they will
struggle to bite it. We used to have trouble with them nibbling
insulation off underground cables. Certain grades of coax were a
particular favourite.

By comparison a cardboard cereal box and they are inside in a few
seconds (although arguably the cardboard may be more nutritious).
--
Regards,
Martin Brown