Moving a car
Add Reply
ARW
2022-01-09 10:27:29 UTC
Car sold to a company similar to webuyanycar.

That was in October. My friends have the money for the car, no longer
own the car or have the keys to it.

Well it's still on their driveway and blocking the access to remove
their other car - which has not been needed for 8 months.

Suggestions.
Adam
newshound
2022-01-09 10:44:44 UTC
Post by ARW
Car sold to a company similar to webuyanycar.
That was in October. My friends have the money for the car, no longer
own the car or have the keys to it.
Well it's still on their driveway and blocking the access to remove
their other car - which has not been needed for 8 months.
Suggestions.
Perhaps that is part of the business model. I was slightly surprised
when phoning a relatively local "car supermarket" to look at a specific
vehicle only for them to say I'd have to give them a (refundable) £100
deposit and they would get it trailed somewhere accessible, but that
would take a week.

To answer the question, I think the council will remove a vehicle that
is blocking your drive access, but not from private property.

Assuming they won't respond to queries, they probably have to take legal
action. Unless they borrow some dollies and roll it out on to the road?
Any decent locksmith should be able to unlock it for them, too.

A story from about about 30 years ago, so not relevant now. My brother
in law's boss called all the staff out to the car park to admire his new
fancy BMW with all the latest security. One of the other workers had a
"past" and while they all wandered around admiring it, he suddenly
pointed at the sky and said "Bloody Hell, look at that!". There was a
click while everyone's back was turned, and the car was open. I guess
that was the "half a squash ball" trick.
Jethro_uk
2022-01-09 11:13:18 UTC
Post by newshound
A story from about about 30 years ago, so not relevant now. My brother
in law's boss called all the staff out to the car park to admire his new
fancy BMW with all the latest security. One of the other workers had a
"past" and while they all wandered around admiring it, he suddenly
pointed at the sky and said "Bloody Hell, look at that!". There was a
click while everyone's back was turned, and the car was open. I guess
that was the "half a squash ball" trick.
My Dads favourite trick was to send the owner off for a coat hanger. When
they returned they had "forgotten" a rear door had been left open.

Usually keys got locked in cars. As a rule we only had FIATs, and it was
impossible to lock the keys in a 2/3 door car, and you really had to work
hard to do it in a 4/5 door car.
ARW
2022-01-09 11:28:50 UTC
Post by newshound
A story from about about 30 years ago, so not relevant now. My brother
in law's boss called all the staff out to the car park to admire his new
fancy BMW with all the latest security. One of the other workers had a
"past" and while they all wandered around admiring it, he suddenly
pointed at the sky and said "Bloody Hell, look at that!". There was a
click while everyone's back was turned, and the car was open. I guess
that was the "half a squash ball" trick.
It takes less than 3 seconds to unlock a year 14 plate FIAT Scudo.

So it is relevant
Rod Speed
2022-01-09 17:45:00 UTC
Post by ARW
[...]
Spell out the half a squash ball trick and explain why
he happened to have one handy at the time please.
Peeler
2022-01-09 17:49:59 UTC
On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 04:45:00 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Who or What is Rod Speed?
man" on the InterNet."
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/rod-speed-faq.2973853/
newshound
2022-01-09 21:01:49 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
I guess that was the "half a squash ball" trick.
Spell out the half a squash ball trick and explain why
he happened to have one handy at the time please.
The central locking of many UK cars is pneumatic. If you put half a
squash ball over the keyhole and push it firmly, you used to be able to
release all the locks. I think the manufacturers have fixed this now.

He doubtless kept one handy because, well, it was a handy trick.
Rod Speed
2022-01-09 21:46:02 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
I guess that was the "half a squash ball" trick.
Spell out the half a squash ball trick and explain why
he happened to have one handy at the time please.
The central locking of many UK cars is pneumatic. If you put half a squash
ball over the keyhole and push it firmly, you used to be able to release
all the locks.
Was central locking ever done with the external key ?
I think the manufacturers have fixed this now.
Yeah, they now do it with the key fob so that wont
work anymore. And the keyhole doesn’t do central
locking either, it only locks/unlocks one door.
He doubtless kept one handy because, well, it was a handy trick.
Yeah, that makes sense.
Peeler
2022-01-09 21:58:54 UTC
On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 08:46:02 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 87-year-old senile Australian
cretin's pathological trolling:
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/rod-speed-faq.2973853/
charles
2022-01-09 21:58:26 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by newshound
I guess that was the "half a squash ball" trick.
Spell out the half a squash ball trick and explain why he happened to
have one handy at the time please.
The central locking of many UK cars is pneumatic. If you put half a
squash ball over the keyhole and push it firmly, you used to be able
to release all the locks.
Was central locking ever done with the external key ?
Yes,
Post by newshound
He doubtless kept one handy because, well, it was a handy trick.
Yeah, that makes sense.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
NY
2022-01-10 09:48:17 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by newshound
The central locking of many UK cars is pneumatic. If you put half a
squash ball over the keyhole and push it firmly, you used to be able to
release all the locks.
Was central locking ever done with the external key ?
Yes. Every car that I have owned that had central locking would unlock the
doors (*) using either the remote or the key in one of the front doors. I've
not owned a car that has keyless ignition, but I *think* those usually still
have a keyhole in the driver's door, even if it's concealed behind trim; you
may also need an alternative key that has a key blade, as opposed to the
normal day-to-day one which has just the electronics.

(*) Either it unlocks all the doors, or else the driver's door only with a
second turn being needed to unlock the rest of the doors and the boot -
depends how the central locking is configured in the car's config menus.
newshound
2022-01-10 19:14:52 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by newshound
Post by Rod Speed
I guess that was the "half a squash ball" trick.
Spell out the half a squash ball trick and explain why
he happened to have one handy at the time please.
The central locking of many UK cars is pneumatic. If you put half a
squash ball over the keyhole and push it firmly, you used to be able
to release all the locks.
Was central locking ever done with the external key ?
Certainly was here. Also, all my vehicles will open or lock all the
doors on the key, including the three with remotes.
Yeah, that makes sense.
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2022-01-09 11:33:41 UTC
Post by ARW
Car sold to a company similar to webuyanycar.
That was in October. My friends have the money for the car, no longer
own the car or have the keys to it.
Well it's still on their driveway and blocking the access to remove
their other car - which has not been needed for 8 months.
Suggestions.
charge them storage ....
The roads must roll ...
Robin
2022-01-09 11:35:16 UTC
Post by ARW
Car sold to a company similar to webuyanycar.
That was in October. My friends have the money for the car, no longer
own the car or have the keys to it.
Well it's still on their driveway and blocking the access to remove
their other car - which has not been needed for 8 months.
Suggestions.
If not already done I suggest as first steps they:

a. read the contract (fine print and all) very carefully to look for
anything about (i) when transfer of ownership occurs and (ii) storage.

b. check the company is still trading. If not it could be in liquidation
with a liquidator unaware of the car.

Beyond that there is a legal process for people stuck with someone
else's goods ("involuntary bailees") to get rid of them. But I don't
know it well enough to advise. There may still be folks in u.l.m who do.

I am assuming they did notify DVLA of the sale.
--
Robin
ARW
2022-01-09 12:15:57 UTC
Post by ARW
Car sold to a company similar to webuyanycar.
That was in October. My friends have the money for the car, no longer
own the car or have the keys to it.
Well it's still on their driveway and blocking the access to remove
their other car - which has not been needed for 8 months.
Suggestions.
a.    read the contract (fine print and all) very carefully to look for
anything about (i) when transfer of ownership occurs and (ii) storage.
b.    check the company is still trading. If not it could be in
liquidation with a liquidator unaware of the car.
Beyond that there is a legal process for people stuck with someone
else's goods ("involuntary bailees") to get rid of them.  But I don't
know it well enough to advise.  There may still be folks in u.l.m who do.
I am assuming they did notify DVLA of the sale.
I assume so

This couple always do things by the book.

He has lost his eyesight and cannot drive and she had a hip replacement
but can now drive.

Another friend with a Land Rover has offered to drag the car into the
street. But he is the same friend that got me into trouble when we threw
a dead badger through a lounge window and they do want him to be
involved with him.
williamwright
2022-01-09 14:19:00 UTC
Post by ARW
Another friend with a Land Rover has offered to drag the car into the
street. But he is the same friend that got me into trouble when we threw
a dead badger through a lounge window and they don't want to be
involved with him.
But they are prepared to be involved with you, even though you were an
accessory before and during the badger?

Bill
Brian Gaff (Sofa)
Bill
Andy Burns
2022-01-09 16:38:07 UTC
Maybe the new owners are just waiting for 2nd hand car prices to peak
before putting it through auction (which is where I thought most of
them went).
The secondhand car marketplace is getting quite sewn-up nowadays, webuyanycar
and cinch are both owned by BCA (who no longer allow the public into auctions)

cazoo are hoovering up cars from corporate fleets

This all seems to be making it difficult for car dealerships to have sufficient
stock, I noticed the main audi dealer here had a hand-scrawled sign on reception
desk saying they were looking to buy any make cars, up to 5 years old.

I recently sold my late father's car back to the dealership he bought it from 2
years ago for £1500 more than webuy etc were offering, and not much below what
he'd paid for it.
GB
2022-01-10 14:02:40 UTC
when we threw a dead badger through a lounge window
Was it open at the time?
williamwright
2022-01-12 19:45:16 UTC
Post by GB
when we threw a dead badger through a lounge window
Was it open at the time?
How do you open a badger?

Bill
Richard
2022-01-12 20:19:04 UTC
Be warned, it'll be rough.
Brian Gaff (Sofa)
2022-01-10 15:57:55 UTC
Really, a dead badger eh, I don't think throwing a care through we buy any
car. coms window would end well. As far as I'm aware they are still
advertising so must exist. The problems with mainly online and telephone
based outfits is trying to find a 'responsible' person when things do not
run smoothly.
with him.
SH
2022-01-10 16:06:01 UTC
Post by Brian Gaff (Sofa)
Really, a dead badger eh, I don't think throwing a care through we buy any
car. coms window would end well. As far as I'm aware they are still
advertising so must exist. The problems with mainly online and telephone
based outfits is trying to find a 'responsible' person when things do not
run smoothly.
Brian
Apparently Badgers are a protected species by law....

https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/wildlife/animals/badgers/law

So was this the sort of trouble you got into when throwing the dead
badger through the window?

As an aside were you trying to badger someone literally?
ARW
2022-01-10 17:29:00 UTC
Post by SH
Post by Brian Gaff (Sofa)
Really, a dead badger eh, I don't think throwing a care through we buy any
car. coms window would end well. As far as I'm aware they are still
advertising so must exist. The problems with mainly online and telephone
based outfits is trying to find a 'responsible' person when things do not
run smoothly.
  Brian
Apparently Badgers are a protected species by law....
https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/wildlife/animals/badgers/law
So was this the sort of trouble you got into when throwing the dead
badger through the window?
As an aside were you trying to badger someone literally?
Nothing says you cannot use road kill.

It was his Mum's ex that was stalking her.
newshound
2022-01-10 19:17:08 UTC
Post by ARW
Post by SH
Post by Brian Gaff (Sofa)
Really, a dead badger eh, I don't think throwing a care through we buy any
car. coms window would end well. As far as I'm aware they are still
advertising so must exist. The problems with mainly online and telephone
based outfits is trying to find a 'responsible' person when things do not
run smoothly.
  Brian
Apparently Badgers are a protected species by law....
https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/wildlife/animals/badgers/law
So was this the sort of trouble you got into when throwing the dead
badger through the window?
As an aside were you trying to badger someone literally?
Nothing says you cannot use road kill.
Indeed. A mate of mine used to collect badgers and other road kill to
feed his ferrets.
Rod Speed
2022-01-10 18:09:34 UTC
Post by SH
Post by Brian Gaff (Sofa)
Really, a dead badger eh, I don't think throwing a care through
we buy any car. coms window would end well. As far as I'm aware
they are still advertising so must exist. The problems with mainly
online and telephone based outfits is trying to find a 'responsible'
person when things do not run smoothly.
Apparently Badgers are a protected species by law....
But dead badgers aren't.
Post by SH
https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/wildlife/animals/badgers/law
So was this the sort of trouble you got into when
throwing the dead badger through the window?
Unlikely.
Corse he was and he succeeded.
Peeler
2022-01-10 18:47:24 UTC
On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 05:09:34 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Tim+ about trolling Rodent Speed:
He is by far the most persistent troll who seems to be able to get under the
skin of folk who really should know better. Since when did arguing with a
troll ever achieve anything (beyond giving the troll pleasure)?
MID: <1421057667.659518815.743467.tim.downie-***@news.individual.net>
Richard
Brian
John J
I love the dead badger idea. Did it achieve the desired result?
The Natural Philosopher
2022-01-09 14:45:55 UTC
Post by ARW
Car sold to a company similar to webuyanycar.
That was in October. My friends have the money for the car, no longer
own the car or have the keys to it.
Well it's still on their driveway and blocking the access to remove
their other car - which has not been needed for 8 months.
Suggestions.
a.    read the contract (fine print and all) very carefully to look for
anything about (i) when transfer of ownership occurs and (ii) storage.
b.    check the company is still trading. If not it could be in
liquidation with a liquidator unaware of the car.
Beyond that there is a legal process for people stuck with someone
else's goods ("involuntary bailees") to get rid of them.  But I don't
know it well enough to advise.  There may still be folks in u.l.m who do.
I am assuming they did notify DVLA of the sale.
Too complicated and too legal.

Call a scrap dealer to pick it up.

If its still in your name and you have registration.
Otherwise report it as illegally dumped on your property.
let them."
Robin
2022-01-09 19:00:53 UTC
Post by The Natural Philosopher
Post by ARW
[...]
I'll defer to you if you know that the proper process is too complicated
for a lay person. I'd thought it was fairly straightforward under the
1971 Act if you know the owner - just not something I've ever had to
research
Post by The Natural Philosopher
Call a scrap dealer to pick it up.
If its still in your name and you have registration.
Odd that they'd still have it registered in their name given continuous
insurance/SORN.

And what happens when the liquidator for the buyer turns up next week?
Post by The Natural Philosopher
Otherwise report it as illegally dumped on your property.
Good luck with that. Police will properly say it's a civil matter.
Councils have some powers over abandoned cars on private land but mostly
have much better things to do
--
Robin
The Natural Philosopher
2022-01-09 19:55:20 UTC
Post by ARW
[...]
That line makes no sense.

Is it SORNED and if so by whom
Post by Robin
And what happens when the liquidator for the buyer turns up next week?
Nothing. Just act dumb. Car was picked up. Assumed it was your firm.
Post by Robin
Post by The Natural Philosopher
Otherwise report it as illegally dumped on your property.
Good luck with that. Police will properly say it's a civil matter.
Councils have some powers over abandoned cars on private land but mostly
have much better things to do
The legal route is nearly always expensive time consuming and futile.
What you want to know is how far you can push the law without being caught.

I.e. as someone suggested pout a trolley jack under iot and park it in
the street and then throw a brick through the window

Or remove the wheels and out it on blocks. someone will steal it

Not your problem
--
The biggest threat to humanity comes from socialism, which has utterly
diverted our attention away from what really matters to our existential
what it actually is.
charles
2022-01-09 20:27:44 UTC
Post by Robin
Post by The Natural Philosopher
Otherwise report it as illegally dumped on your property.
Good luck with that. Police will properly say it's a civil matter.
Councils have some powers over abandoned cars on private land but
mostly have much better things to do
The legal route is nearly always expensive time consuming and futile.
What you want to know is how far you can push the law without being caught.
I.e. as someone suggested pout a trolley jack under iot and park it in
the street and then throw a brick through the window
Or remove the wheels and out it on blocks. someone will steal it
Not your problem
You did notify DVLA that you'd sold the car? You now should have a
document agreeing that the car was no longer yours.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
williamwright
2022-01-12 19:48:17 UTC
Post by Robin
And what happens when the liquidator for the buyer turns up next week?
Nothing. Just act dumb. Car was picked up. Assumed it was your firm.
"The car went while we were out. We assumed your firm had been for it."

Bill
ARW
2022-01-12 19:53:28 UTC
Post by Robin
And what happens when the liquidator for the buyer turns up next week?
Nothing. Just act dumb. Car was picked up. Assumed it was your firm.
"The car went while we were out. We assumed your firm had been for it."
As he his now blind he could just stay at home and say that he did not
see anything.
Albert
2022-01-09 11:53:32 UTC
Post by ARW
Car sold to a company similar to webuyanycar.
That was in October. My friends have the money for the car, no longer
own the car or have the keys to it.
Well it's still on their driveway and blocking the access to remove
their other car - which has not been needed for 8 months.
Suggestions.
The police and council are very unlikely to be interested while it's on
their drive. They would if some person or persons unknowns tried to
steal it, pushed it onto the road but to get it to start with its
battery flat.

Said persons would of course be carrying out a criminal act but if aware
of CCTV etc are unlikely to be caught after the event. If caught in the
act they might even get away with a telling off if they came clean to
the extent of setting out the facts and saying they intended only to
swap the vehicles on the drive - and then did just that.
Albert
Andy Burns
Borrow the towing eye from another (similar?) car and a 4x4 ?
The Natural Philosopher
2022-01-09 14:43:51 UTC
Post by ARW
Car sold to a company similar to webuyanycar.
That was in October. My friends have the money for the car, no longer
own the car or have the keys to it.
Now the crucial thing here is in whose name it is registered.

If it is still in their (your friends) name, they can get it towed away
and scrapped.

If it is in someone else's name the police can contact the owners and
request it gets moved, as it is illegally parked on someone else's
property.

OTOH if it were to magically disappear, it is hard to see what the
owners could do about it.

"I dunno - some truck just came up, loaded it on and drove it away. I
assumed it was you lot"....

Mostly a car is worth a free pickup if its going to be scrapped
Post by ARW
Well it's still on their driveway and blocking the access to remove
their other car - which has not been needed for 8 months.
Suggestions.
Find some likely lads, go down the pub with lots of witnesses, and when
they get back it's gone, and turns up burned out on the estate.

Nothing to do with me guv is it?
--
In a Time of Universal Deceit, Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act.

- George Orwell
Andrew
2022-01-09 15:37:52 UTC
Post by ARW
Car sold to a company similar to webuyanycar.
That was in October. My friends have the money for the car, no longer
own the car or have the keys to it.
Well it's still on their driveway and blocking the access to remove
their other car - which has not been needed for 8 months.
Suggestions.
Should have moved it onto the public road before selling it to
webuyanycrap. Then it is immediately untaxed and uninsured so
they have to remove it (or is there a condition in their t&c
stating that it must be parked off-road ?, which would be
difficult for all those folks who have no offroad parking)
Tricky Dicky
2022-01-09 20:11:05 UTC
Post by ARW
Car sold to a company similar to webuyanycar.
That was in October. My friends have the money for the car, no longer
own the car or have the keys to it.
Well it's still on their driveway and blocking the access to remove
their other car - which has not been needed for 8 months.
Suggestions.
--
Adam
A bit like scaffolders often leave scaffold up on a job long after it is not needed only taking it down once they have another job it is required for, might as well store it on your property as anywhere else.

Richard
Roland Perry
2022-01-11 09:28:56 UTC
Post by Tricky Dicky
Post by ARW
Car sold to a company similar to webuyanycar.
That was in October. My friends have the money for the car, no longer
own the car or have the keys to it.
Well it's still on their driveway and blocking the access to remove
their other car - which has not been needed for 8 months.
Suggestions.
A bit like scaffolders often leave scaffold up on a job long after it
is not needed only taking it down once they have another job it is
required for, might as well store it on your property as anywhere else.
Ditto skips from smaller operators.
Roland Perry
Theo
2022-01-10 11:46:47 UTC
Post by ARW
Car sold to a company similar to webuyanycar.
That was in October. My friends have the money for the car, no longer
own the car or have the keys to it.
Well it's still on their driveway and blocking the access to remove
their other car - which has not been needed for 8 months.
Suggestions.
Jack and wheel skates?

Theo
Thomas Prufer
2022-01-12 18:25:05 UTC
Post by ARW
Suggestions.
Send a bill for parking fees?

Thomas Prufer
Adrian Caspersz
2022-01-17 10:00:41 UTC
Post by ARW
Car sold to a company similar to webuyanycar.
That was in October. My friends have the money for the car, no longer
own the car or have the keys to it.
Well it's still on their driveway and blocking the access to remove
their other car - which has not been needed for 8 months.
Suggestions.
Stalked by a YouTube barrister?

This Loophole Could Cause Mayhem!

I feel, the comments on that vid will go on until the end of the
Internet ...
Adrian C
ARW
2022-01-18 20:04:48 UTC
http://youtu.be/AjP75KhgBbY
I feel, the comments on that vid will go on until the end of the
Internet ...
And an update about the car.

It has gone.

Rather embarrassingly this evening I was under the car attaching a chain
to it when a bloke turned up to collect it.

He also said the company he worked for were bastards.