Adjustable wrench seized
Add Reply
Animal
2021-07-18 12:38:10 UTC
Tried HCl, ATF, heat (200C oven), hitting it with a hammer. Jaw is now loose but the thumb wheel is as stuck as ever. What else would be good to try?
jon
2021-07-18 12:49:24 UTC
Buy another one.
Brian Gaff (Sofa)
2021-07-19 09:49:03 UTC
Yup if the spindle or other bit is now bent its trash.
Buy another one.
newshound
2021-07-18 13:09:37 UTC
Post by Animal
Tried HCl, ATF, heat (200C oven), hitting it with a hammer. Jaw is now loose but the thumb wheel is as stuck as ever. What else would be good to try?
Most wrenches can be disassembled fairly easily although the screw will
be peened in place.
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
2021-07-18 13:33:30 UTC
Soaking in diesel and /or proper penetrating oil.
Martin Brown
2021-07-18 15:59:21 UTC
Post by Animal
Tried HCl, ATF, heat (200C oven), hitting it with a hammer. Jaw is now loose but the thumb wheel is as stuck as ever. What else would be good to try?
Penetrating oil?
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Animal
2021-07-21 20:19:27 UTC
I guess I could give it longer with ATF, which is one of the best penetrating oils around.
Martin Brown
2021-07-22 08:19:16 UTC
Post by Animal
Post by Martin Brown
Post by Animal
Tried HCl, ATF, heat (200C oven), hitting it with a hammer. Jaw is now loose but the thumb wheel is as stuck as ever. What else would be good to try?
Penetrating oil?
I guess I could give it longer with ATF, which is one of the best penetrating oils around.
Unless it is of great sentimental value it might be much easier to buy
another. If penetrating oil fails then the next thing I would try is
take it up to red heat and then quench it in a bucket of water (or into
mineral oil if your are feeling brave and old school).

If that doesn't break up the rusting then nothing will. Put it down to
experience and don't store your tools under water in future!

Mine all have a slot across the end of the pin that holds the thumbwheel
in place - have you tried undoing that? Cleaning the bits separately...
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Jeff Layman
2021-07-22 14:16:12 UTC
Post by Martin Brown
Post by Animal
Post by Martin Brown
Post by Animal
Tried HCl, ATF, heat (200C oven), hitting it with a hammer. Jaw is now loose but the thumb wheel is as stuck as ever. What else would be good to try?
Penetrating oil?
I guess I could give it longer with ATF, which is one of the best penetrating oils around.
Unless it is of great sentimental value it might be much easier to buy
another. If penetrating oil fails then the next thing I would try is
take it up to red heat and then quench it in a bucket of water (or into
mineral oil if your are feeling brave and old school).
Wouldn't that affect any tempering or other metal treatment that might
have been applied to the wrench or its jaws?
Post by Martin Brown
If that doesn't break up the rusting then nothing will. Put it down to
experience and don't store your tools under water in future!
I wondered if the wrench could be put in a freezer for a few hours, then
a gas flame applied for a few seconds to the thumbwheel and some
footprints, water pump pliers, or something similar used to try to turn
the thumbwheel.
Jeff
Martin Brown
2021-07-22 16:01:04 UTC
Post by Jeff Layman
Post by Martin Brown
Post by Animal
Post by Martin Brown
Post by Animal
Tried HCl, ATF, heat (200C oven), hitting it with a hammer. Jaw is
now loose but the thumb wheel is as stuck as ever. What else would
be good to try?
Penetrating oil?
I guess I could give it longer with ATF, which is one of the best
penetrating oils around.
Unless it is of great sentimental value it might be much easier to buy
another. If penetrating oil fails then the next thing I would try is
take it up to red heat and then quench it in a bucket of water (or into
mineral oil if your are feeling brave and old school).
Wouldn't that affect any tempering or other metal treatment that might
have been applied to the wrench or its jaws?
Almost certainly! Although a fast quench ought to still leave it with
something like the right surface hardness properties. The alternative is
tossing it and buying a replacement if it is seized solid with rust.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Animal
2021-07-23 21:37:45 UTC
Post by Martin Brown
Post by Animal
Post by Martin Brown
Post by Animal
Tried HCl, ATF, heat (200C oven), hitting it with a hammer. Jaw is now loose but the thumb wheel is as stuck as ever. What else would be good to try?
Penetrating oil?
I guess I could give it longer with ATF, which is one of the best penetrating oils around.
Unless it is of great sentimental value it might be much easier to buy
another.
Sure. I have another.
Post by Martin Brown
If penetrating oil fails then the next thing I would try is
take it up to red heat and then quench it in a bucket of water (or into
mineral oil if your are feeling brave and old school).
If that doesn't break up the rusting then nothing will. Put it down to
experience and don't store your tools under water in future!
I was given it. It's mostly ok with a few heavy rusted patches.
Post by Martin Brown
Mine all have a slot across the end of the pin that holds the thumbwheel
in place - have you tried undoing that? Cleaning the bits separately...
I pushed the screwdriver as far as I thought it could survive without breaking. No way is that undoing, not one little bit.

I could try another round of acid, but having put lots of ATF in there I wouldn't expect the acid to get in. For now I'm going to let it soak for days in ATF, thoughat this point I'm not especially confident.
Paul
2021-07-18 16:31:08 UTC
Post by Animal
Tried HCl, ATF, heat (200C oven), hitting it with a hammer.
Jaw is now loose but the thumb wheel is as stuck as ever.
What else would be good to try?
There is not much to them. I don't know
if mine has the spring.

The chrome-vanadium ones really shouldn't
seize up. The steel ones, you'd
expect it was rust that seized it.

The pin on one of my chrome-vanadium is quite
loose, so no problem getting that one apart.

With the pin out, the knurl should just fall out,
or a tiny tap should have it fall out.

If the pin won't stay in later, you could
put a tiny bit of Loctite on it (but don't
overdo it, or you'll wipe Loctite onto the
knurl). Loctite comes in grades that are
colour-coded, all the way from "this Loctite
is useless" to "dammit, now I can't unscrew
it any more Loctite".

It's possible my old steel adjustable had the
spring, but that tool was stolen long ago. So I
don't have that one as a reference any more.

Paul
Brian Gaff (Sofa)
2021-07-19 09:48:12 UTC
I reckon its been over tightened and its bent, hence it cannot work
correctly. Not much to go wrong, its merely a worm drive
along a toothed edge of the adjustable bit, and the slot its in can be
deformed if somebody used some real brute force or a large bit of tube over
its handle. I know I have one like that!

try?
Animal
No it's rusted.
Tim+
2021-07-21 20:38:08 UTC
Post by Animal
Tried HCl, ATF, heat (200C oven), hitting it with a hammer. Jaw is now
loose but the thumb wheel is as stuck as ever. What else would be good to try?
Solution of citric acid? Leave it soaking in a bath of the stuff. Good for
derusting old iron.

Tim
Please don't feed the trolls
newshound
2021-07-22 16:06:40 UTC
Post by Tim+
Post by Animal
Tried HCl, ATF, heat (200C oven), hitting it with a hammer. Jaw is now
loose but the thumb wheel is as stuck as ever. What else would be good to try?
Solution of citric acid? Leave it soaking in a bath of the stuff. Good for
derusting old iron.
Tim
I don't think anyone has mentioned electrolytic treatment with sodium
carbonate yet. That's another theoretically good option. But I still
think the way to approach it is to dismantle it by removing the screw.