Private health
R D S
2021-10-14 14:59:51 UTC
Anyone got private health cover?
If so why did you plump for it? Who with and what cost?

We've been talking about it but I suspect the cost will be offputting.
Adrian Caspersz
2021-10-14 15:26:36 UTC
Post by R D S
Anyone got private health cover?
If so why did you plump for it? Who with and what cost?
We've been talking about it but I suspect the cost will be offputting.
If you have pre-existing conditions, yes. Some folks I know in that
boat, depend on it, they are sold.

If you already actively take an interest in your health, chances are
that you already know how your local surgery works and maybe what you
can expect when more NHS involvement becomes necessary.

Only then you'll figure out if it is worth it.

In truth, our local NHS services are fine in quality - but stressed.

So I'm on a scheme with my employer that costs me (aged 55 non-smoker)
£1200 a year. Four times the cost of my broadband (ouch)

I must go and check out their dental service, otherwise it will be like
my AA motor cover (never used a callout).

There is a much cheaper £140 a year option.
https://www.benenden.co.uk/
Adrian C
Chris Bacon
2021-10-14 15:27:23 UTC
Post by R D S
Anyone got private health cover?
If so why did you plump for it? Who with and what cost?
We've been talking about it but I suspect the cost will be offputting.
Presumably there's something the matter with you that prevents your
putting "OT" in your post's title.
ARW
2021-10-14 18:35:01 UTC
Post by Chris Bacon
Post by R D S
Anyone got private health cover?
If so why did you plump for it? Who with and what cost?
We've been talking about it but I suspect the cost will be offputting.
Presumably there's something the matter with you that prevents your
putting "OT" in your post's title.
Does it matter?

Will that stop you having a good night's sleep tonight?

Adam
Chris Bacon
2021-10-14 21:06:15 UTC
Post by Chris Bacon
Post by R D S
Anyone got private health cover?
If so why did you plump for it? Who with and what cost?
We've been talking about it but I suspect the cost will be offputting.
Presumably there's something the matter with you that prevents your
putting "OT" in your post's title.
Looking after your own health is more DIY than many things that get
posted here. Besides, I knew a chap who operated on his own knee cap,
after it got broken in a motorcycle accident. You can't get much more
DIY than that.
It's not difficult to put "OT" in the title. Go off to bed, and get on
with your "DIY" if you can't handle that. What is Usenet now, a general
free-for-all for incontinent geriatric wibblers? Sheesh! The majority
are not like that, thank goodness.

Operting on yourself *might* be DIY, but really, think about it. Saying
"Who's your healthcare provider and what do they charge", without an "OT
in the title, isn't. It's just wank.
Chris Bacon
2021-10-15 08:25:57 UTC
Post by Chris Bacon
Post by Chris Bacon
Post by R D S
[...]
Sorry about that, it was rather too rude, and I apologise for sending
it. Nevertheless, the principle of putting "OT" in the title remains.
williamwright
2021-10-23 01:05:59 UTC
Post by Chris Bacon
"Who's your healthcare provider and what do they charge", without an "OT
in the title, isn't. It's just wank.
But wanking is DIY.

Bill
nightjar
2021-10-14 16:17:43 UTC
Post by R D S
Anyone got private health cover?
If so why did you plump for it? Who with and what cost?
We've been talking about it but I suspect the cost will be offputting.
I don't have a private healthcare scheme, but I have paid for private
treatment when NHS delays were too long. I reckon that is the cheaper
course, unless you have something really expensive, like my heart valve
replacement, which I am told, cost the NHS £20k.
Colin Bignell
Andrew
2021-10-14 16:21:23 UTC
Post by nightjar
Post by R D S
Anyone got private health cover?
If so why did you plump for it? Who with and what cost?
We've been talking about it but I suspect the cost will be offputting.
I don't have a private healthcare scheme, but I have paid for private
treatment when NHS delays were too long. I reckon that is the cheaper
course, unless you have something really expensive, like my heart valve
replacement, which I am told, cost the NHS £20k.
If it was one of those valves that can be put into place by passing
it up from your leg, then the valve alone is about £16K
nightjar
2021-10-14 17:19:40 UTC
Post by Andrew
Post by nightjar
Post by R D S
Anyone got private health cover?
If so why did you plump for it? Who with and what cost?
We've been talking about it but I suspect the cost will be offputting.
I don't have a private healthcare scheme, but I have paid for private
treatment when NHS delays were too long. I reckon that is the cheaper
course, unless you have something really expensive, like my heart
valve replacement, which I am told, cost the NHS £20k.
If it was one of those valves that can be put into place by passing
it up from your leg, then the valve alone is about £16K
Mine involved open heart surgery, taking around 3-4 hours, one day in
ITU and a week's recovery in hospital, with twice daily physiotherapy.
Colin Bignell
Dave Plowman (News)
2021-10-15 15:24:07 UTC
Post by nightjar
Post by R D S
Anyone got private health cover?
If so why did you plump for it? Who with and what cost?
We've been talking about it but I suspect the cost will be offputting.
I don't have a private healthcare scheme, but I have paid for private
treatment when NHS delays were too long. I reckon that is the cheaper
course, unless you have something really expensive, like my heart valve
replacement, which I am told, cost the NHS £20k.
Both my brother and SIL have paid to have cataracts removed privately. Due
to a 2 year waiting list.

SIL has also paid a great deal for Boots hearing aids. Despite having
modern NHS ones - but having problems, and again a long waiting list.
Post by nightjar
-
--
*I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder *

Dave Plowman ***@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
nightjar
2021-10-15 17:40:02 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by nightjar
Post by R D S
Anyone got private health cover?
If so why did you plump for it? Who with and what cost?
We've been talking about it but I suspect the cost will be offputting.
I don't have a private healthcare scheme, but I have paid for private
treatment when NHS delays were too long. I reckon that is the cheaper
course, unless you have something really expensive, like my heart valve
replacement, which I am told, cost the NHS £20k.
Both my brother and SIL have paid to have cataracts removed privately. Due
to a 2 year waiting list.
I did that for my partner for the same reason. A few years later, the
same surgeon did her other eye on the NHS with only a short wait.
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
SIL has also paid a great deal for Boots hearing aids. Despite having
modern NHS ones - but having problems, and again a long waiting list.
IME, the NHS are magnificent for acute problems, but lack the resources
to deal with chronic problems in the same way.
Colin Bignell
charles
2021-10-15 19:16:31 UTC
Post by nightjar
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
SIL has also paid a great deal for Boots hearing aids. Despite having
modern NHS ones - but having problems, and again a long waiting list.
IME, the NHS are magnificent for acute problems, but lack the resources
to deal with chronic problems in the same way.
Whereas SWMBO was told of a 2 year wait for NHS for the first eye and then
a further 18 months for the second. Privately, from the same surgeon, she
had one done with a months notice and the second 2 weeks later (that's
nexct Tuesday0
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
nightjar
2021-10-15 19:58:50 UTC
Post by charles
Post by nightjar
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
SIL has also paid a great deal for Boots hearing aids. Despite having
modern NHS ones - but having problems, and again a long waiting list.
IME, the NHS are magnificent for acute problems, but lack the resources
to deal with chronic problems in the same way.
Whereas SWMBO was told of a 2 year wait for NHS for the first eye and then
a further 18 months for the second. Privately, from the same surgeon, she
had one done with a months notice and the second 2 weeks later (that's
nexct Tuesday0
That is the advantage of PAYG. You can look at the NHS waiting list and
decide whether or not you want to wait. When I had a very painful knee,
I was told the NHS had a three month waiting list for an MRI scan.
Paying got me one in 48 hours and I got to keep the pictures.
Colin Bignell
Steve Walker
2021-10-15 23:13:30 UTC
Post by nightjar
Post by charles
Post by nightjar
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
SIL has also paid a great deal for Boots hearing aids. Despite having
modern NHS ones - but having problems, and again a long waiting list.
IME, the NHS are magnificent for acute problems, but lack the resources
to deal with chronic problems in the same way.
Whereas SWMBO was told of a 2 year wait for NHS for the first eye and then
a further 18 months for the second. Privately, from the same surgeon, she
had one done with  a months notice and the second 2 weeks later (that's
nexct Tuesday0
That is the advantage of PAYG. You can look at the NHS waiting list and
decide whether or not you want to wait. When I had a very painful knee,
I was told the NHS had a three month waiting list for an MRI scan.
Paying got me one in 48 hours and I got to keep the pictures.
When our son had a severe seizure - about 7 minutes, followed by
cardio-respiratory arrest (which he only survived because my wife, an
ex-nurse, resussed him - the consultant wanted to "wait and see" if he
had another. We did not fancy him having one one the hour's bus journey
to or from school and wanted to rule out malformations or tumours. We
paid for a private consultation at another hospital and that consultant
contacted our GP, who arranged an urgent MRI scan on the NHS.
Jack Harry Teesdale
2021-10-23 11:47:29 UTC
Post by charles
Post by nightjar
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
SIL has also paid a great deal for Boots hearing aids. Despite having
modern NHS ones - but having problems, and again a long waiting list.
IME, the NHS are magnificent for acute problems, but lack the resources
to deal with chronic problems in the same way.
Whereas SWMBO was told of a 2 year wait for NHS for the first eye and then
a further 18 months for the second. Privately, from the same surgeon, she
had one done with a months notice and the second 2 weeks later (that's
nexct Tuesday0
PAYG is the way to go unless you are under 50.

Premiums are high after then and the PHI's have a habit of diqualifying
'pre-existing conditions'.

Roland Perry
2021-10-16 05:43:14 UTC
Post by nightjar
IME, the NHS are magnificent for acute problems, but lack the resources
to deal with chronic problems in the same way.
Yes, and the main skill required from patients is persuading them that a
chronic condition has become acute.

Unfortunately about half the patients at A&E are engaged in this, mainly
without good reason, but they get in the way of people where it's true.
Roland Perry
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2021-10-14 19:53:53 UTC
they only want to sell it to people who don't need it ....
Brian Gaff (Sofa)
2021-10-15 07:54:35 UTC
I'm not convinced by it myself. I have a friend who has it because his wife
works for a company which offers it as a perk. He recently had a knee
operation, but when he got a blood clot that was attributed to the op, they
sent him to nhs A/e where he waited several hous, claiming it was nothing to
do with them.
So beware, they only like the things that make them dosh.
Brian
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
***@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
mechanic
2021-10-15 10:53:06 UTC
Post by R D S
Anyone got private health cover?
If so why did you plump for it? Who with and what cost?
We've been talking about it but I suspect the cost will be offputting.
PAYG is another approach especially as you can always try and fall back
on the NHS if the price is to high.
Fall-back to the NHS not really available to EU citizens resident in
the UK and having to rely on (expensive) insurance paid for by such
residents.
mechanic
2021-10-17 11:16:44 UTC
Post by mechanic
Post by R D S
Anyone got private health cover?
If so why did you plump for it? Who with and what cost?
We've been talking about it but I suspect the cost will be offputting.
PAYG is another approach especially as you can always try and fall back
on the NHS if the price is to high.
Fall-back to the NHS not really available to EU citizens resident in
the UK
Isn't it?
For emergency and routine treatments it certainly is
But having 'comprehensive sickness insurance' is applied as a
condition of residence status. Reliance on the UK-NHS for this has
never been acceptable.

At the moment access to NHS services is very hit and miss even for
UK citizens (backlogs now counted in years), the 'hostile
environment' (thanks Theresa) for those not classes as 'british'
just makes things worse.

[rest of your uninformed rant snipped]
GB
2021-10-16 15:24:56 UTC
Post by R D S
Anyone got private health cover?
If so why did you plump for it? Who with and what cost?
We've been talking about it but I suspect the cost will be offputting.
PAYG is another approach especially as you can always try and fall back
on the NHS if the price is to high.
I have a variant of that. I have a private health plan, with a large
policy excess. That keeps the premiums very low, whilst it provides
cover that will pay for very expensive private treatment.