Solar panels - nuisance calls
Add Reply
Peter Johnson
2021-01-10 17:46:49 UTC
Anyone else with solar panels receiving calls from someone asking if
they are working alright and if the feed in tarrif payments are coming
through?
I can never make out where they are calling from and as I don't own
the panels assume that whatever they are after is irrelevant to me.
I think it's the same people (a man and a woman) ringing each time.
Number withheld. I've usually just said it's of no interest to me or
not relevant and hang up. When I said was interested to know where
they had got my details from and that they shouldn't have any
information about me and the panels the woman hung up.
Anyone know what this is all about?
Fredxx
2021-01-10 22:33:56 UTC
Post by Peter Johnson
Anyone else with solar panels receiving calls from someone asking if
they are working alright and if the feed in tarrif payments are coming
through?
I can never make out where they are calling from and as I don't own
the panels assume that whatever they are after is irrelevant to me.
I think it's the same people (a man and a woman) ringing each time.
Number withheld. I've usually just said it's of no interest to me or
not relevant and hang up. When I said was interested to know where
they had got my details from and that they shouldn't have any
information about me and the panels the woman hung up.
Anyone know what this is all about?
Do they ask for you by name?

If so do what I do, say you're going to get Peter and leave them
dangling for as long as their patience allows. Replace handset when you
hear the howler.

Its very satisfying too.
Peter Johnson
2021-01-11 18:02:07 UTC
Post by Fredxx
Post by Peter Johnson
Anyone else with solar panels receiving calls from someone asking if
they are working alright and if the feed in tarrif payments are coming
through?
I can never make out where they are calling from and as I don't own
the panels assume that whatever they are after is irrelevant to me.
I think it's the same people (a man and a woman) ringing each time.
Number withheld. I've usually just said it's of no interest to me or
not relevant and hang up. When I said was interested to know where
they had got my details from and that they shouldn't have any
information about me and the panels the woman hung up.
Anyone know what this is all about?
Do they ask for you by name?
They do know who I am and that I have solar panels.
They phoned again today, a different woman. She said that the company
is called Safe Direct Energy and that they want to check that the
solar installation was installed properly and is working properly.
Couldn't say whee they got my details from, citing data protection -
how strange.
There's no company called Safe Direct Energy registered with Companies
House.
The company that owns the panels soon knows if there's anything wrong
with the installation because the generation stops. When the inverter
packed up a couple of years ago they had someone round to change it in
a couple of days. (The electrician had several dead inverters in the
back of his van.)
Brian Gaff (Sofa)
2021-01-11 10:03:36 UTC
Pratts incorporated by the sound of it. I had a bloke trying to sell me
wheelchairs and stairlifts on my mobile the other day, Now I'm registered
disabled, but I am not physically disabled, but of course if they have a
disabled list they would not know that, would they?

He sounded like a Scouse and always avoided naming a company. I got the
impression it was either a scam as obviously disabled =mug or retard to
these folk, or he was merely checking out a mug list for somebody else.
Vir Campestris
2021-01-11 22:02:49 UTC
Post by Peter Johnson
Anyone else with solar panels receiving calls from someone asking if
they are working alright and if the feed in tarrif payments are coming
through?
We had a spate of calls from people trying to sell us panels. They gave
up in the end after my wife had patiently explained several times that
you can't fit them to the thatched roof of a Listed building.

Andy
bert
bert
Chris J Dixon
2021-01-13 15:05:36 UTC
Post by Peter Johnson
Anyone else with solar panels receiving calls from someone asking if
they are working alright and if the feed in tarrif payments are coming
through?
AFAIK, the list of those who have panels installed is publicly
available.

I have had two categories of callers, one wants to sell me
air-to-air heat exchangers to "make use of my generated
electricity", whilst the others claim, wrongly, that my original
installer is no longer in business, so they can offer to "take
care of" my system.

I generally send them off with a flea in their ear, unless I am
bored, in which case I attempt a little education.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Jonathan
2021-01-13 15:21:03 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Peter Johnson
Anyone else with solar panels receiving calls from someone asking if
they are working alright and if the feed in tarrif payments are coming
through?
AFAIK, the list of those who have panels installed is publicly
available.
I have had two categories of callers, one wants to sell me
air-to-air heat exchangers to "make use of my generated
electricity", whilst the others claim, wrongly, that my original
installer is no longer in business, so they can offer to "take
care of" my system.
I generally send them off with a flea in their ear, unless I am
bored, in which case I attempt a little education.
We get them for our solar panels and our solar hot water tubes. They claim for the latter that they have maintained them in the past (not true), we have never had them maintained, and when I tell them that they insist the systemy must need it. I always ask them why - in a good summer, we have had free hot water for weeks. They obviously are still working fine over ten years since we had them installed.

Jonathan
Andrew
2021-01-13 16:31:51 UTC
Post by Jonathan
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Peter Johnson
[...]
Solar water panels should still be usable even in overcast weather
(unlike solar PV), so even in winter you should get some benefit.
charles
2021-01-13 16:50:03 UTC
Post by Andrew
Post by Jonathan
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Peter Johnson
[...]
I remember seeing (about 10 years ago) a house with solar water panels
after a lot of snow. The snow had melted off the panels.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Fredxx
2021-01-13 17:29:59 UTC
Post by Andrew
Post by Jonathan
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Peter Johnson
[...]
Usable, but produce very little power, could be less than 1/10 for a
short day too. A 250W panel will produce a little as 12W in the early
afternoon in current weather.