Thunderbird problem with mail forwarding
Iain
2021-09-15 08:43:53 UTC
On one of my email accounts I have set email from one specific address
to be forwarded to another account. Both accounts are on my domain and
hosted by A&A.
Emails are not being forwarded for several hours and then come in batches.

Filter is set as:
If From is ***@xxx.zzz
Forward to ***@ccccc.co.uk

Any idea what the problem might be?

Iain
The Natural Philosopher
2021-09-15 08:56:05 UTC
Post by Iain
On one of my email accounts I have set email from one specific address
to be forwarded to another account. Both accounts are on my domain and
hosted by A&A.
Emails are not being forwarded for several hours and then come in batches.
Any idea what the problem might be?
Iain
Why not ask A&A?

Its nothing to to with thunderbird, is it?
--
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit
atrocities.”

― Voltaire, Questions sur les Miracles à M. Claparede, Professeur de
Théologie à Genève, par un Proposant: Ou Extrait de Diverses Lettres de
M. de Voltaire
Iain
I have asked A&A and am awaiting their reply.
Brian Gaff (Sofa)
de Voltaire
John Rumm
2021-09-15 12:27:50 UTC
Post by Iain
On one of my email accounts I have set email from one specific address
to be forwarded to another account. Both accounts are on my domain and
hosted by A&A.
Emails are not being forwarded for several hours and then come in batches.
Any idea what the problem might be?
Grab the header of one of the delayed emails (CTRL + U), and paste it in
here:

https://mha.azurewebsites.net/

That will show in exactly which stage the delay is being introduced, in
a much more readable form than trying to unpick the header yourself/
--
Cheers,

John.

Iain
2021-09-15 13:12:13 UTC
Thanks John, just tried that but it shows only a one second delay.
Looking at the original email it was received by first mailbox at
16:21:33 on 13th but not received by the other mailbox until 12:47:23 on
the 14th.
Thunderbird is set to forward immediately.
I've raised a ticket with A&A but still waiting to hear from them.

Iain
The Natural Philosopher
2021-09-15 14:28:34 UTC
Post by Iain
Thunderbird is set to forward immediately.
How did you manage that. Thunderbird is not a mail transfer agent...
--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that
don't protect, masquerading as public servants who don't serve the public.
Andy Burns
2021-09-15 14:34:30 UTC
Post by Iain
Thunderbird is set to forward immediately.
How did you manage that. Thunderbird is not a mail transfer agent...
TB message filters can be set to run after fetching emails and do
include an action to forward an email to an arbitrary address.
The Natural Philosopher
2021-09-15 14:37:51 UTC
Post by Iain
Thunderbird is set to forward immediately.
How did you manage that. Thunderbird is not a mail transfer agent...
TB message filters can be set to run after fetching emails and do
include an action to forward an email to an arbitrary address.
I have latest version and I cant see that option....
--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
...than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman
Andy Burns
2021-09-15 14:48:32 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
TB message filters can be set to run after fetching emails and do
include an action to forward an email to an arbitrary address.
I have latest version
Do you mean on a different machine? You appear to be sending using
v60.6.x and the latest is v91.1.x (though many people will still be on
v78.14.x)
Post by The Natural Philosopher
and I cant see that option....
It only shows up for actions of filters in an email account, not a
usenet account.
John Rumm
2021-09-15 15:07:49 UTC
Post by Iain
Thunderbird is set to forward immediately.
How did you manage that. Thunderbird is not a mail transfer agent...
TB message filters can be set to run after fetching emails and do
include an action to forward an email to an arbitrary address.
I have latest version and I cant see that option....
If you find "message filters"

Create a new filter, set the first rule to "from" contains and the
address you want to forward. Set the action to "Forward Message to", and
give it a destination address.

Set it so that it runs every time you get mail, and away you go.
--
Cheers,

John.

2021-09-16 06:30:21 UTC
Well, not sure its Tbird. I often find list mail for example arrives in
batches, often in the incorrect date or time order, which makes replying to
a thread look like you are an idiot if you repeat a reply that somebody else
did before you but did not arrive till later on.