OT: Impenetrable British Gas leads to crazy estimate
Add Reply
Mike Halmarack
2022-01-08 13:39:19 UTC
Since 4th November, when my supplier stopped being Peoples Energy and
became British Gas, I have been urged by email to enter my meter
readings on the British Gas website. This I have attempted to do 17
times so far.

Message: "Something Went Wrong" due to technical difficulties, has
always been the result.
To overcome this I've been instructed to change my password on 3
occasions. This didn't gain me access either.

During one of my early attempts I tried the Online Chat route to
communication.
A very helpful person took my meter reading, assured me that my
Economy 7 bill would not differentiate between day and night charges,
as has been the arrangement with my previous provider over the past 3
years.
All this seemed quite encouraging until I pressed the button to get a
transcript of the Chat agreement by email and it didn't arrive.

So yesterday, 8th of January I receive an estimated bill in the post.
This estimate is over twice the actual amount it should be, due to a
more than doubling of the actual usage numbers on my meter. It also
showed different day and night rates

This spurred me on to try other methods of communication.
I've never before attempted to conduct financial transactions on my
phone but out of desperation I download The British Gas app and
attempted to log in.

I was informed that I hadn't got a British gas account (despite the
bill I'd just received) and that I should attempt to log in to my
account online, which I was then automatically transferred to on the
phone.

Logging in by this method I was once again met with, "Something Went
Wrong" due to technical difficulties.

I see on my paper bill that if I have any problems or queries about my
bill I should contact Citizens Advice and/or other organizations that
are not British Gas.

There were other contact details such as phone a number, a long and
fruitless experience, or Online Chat. Both of these have failed to
achieve communication so far.
Mike
Jack Harry Teesdale
2022-01-08 14:36:49 UTC
Post by Mike Halmarack
[...]
Just pay them what you think is due by your own calculation, they are in
a complete mess anyway.(Unless you are on direct debit, in which case
complain to your bank)
Peter Johnson
2022-01-08 15:09:56 UTC
On Sat, 08 Jan 2022 13:39:19 +0000, Mike Halmarack
Post by Mike Halmarack
Since 4th November, when my supplier stopped being Peoples Energy and
became British Gas, I have been urged by email to enter my meter
readings on the British Gas website. This I have attempted to do 17
times so far.
Do you know what your switch status is? Have they actually told you
that the switch is complete?
I've been through this with a switch from Utility Point to EDF. The
latter told me, by email, that I was their customer several times
since last October but I couldn't do anything with my account until
the switch was complete, just before Christmas. But I could at least
access my account and didn't get a bill from EDF until after the
switch had been completed.
Mike Halmarack
2022-01-08 16:00:30 UTC
Post by Mike Halmarack
Since 4th November, when my supplier stopped being Peoples Energy and
became British Gas, I have been urged by email to enter my meter
readings on the British Gas website. This I have attempted to do 17
times so far.
Do you know what your switch status is? Have they actually told you
that the switch is complete?
I've been through this with a switch from Utility Point to EDF. The
latter told me, by email, that I was their customer several times
since last October but I couldn't do anything with my account until
the switch was complete, just before Christmas. But I could at least
access my account and didn't get a bill from EDF until after the
switch had been completed.
Well I did get a bill which was eye wateringly over-estimated, so I
suppose that indicates progress of a sort.
Mike
Mr Pounder Esquire
2022-01-08 19:24:05 UTC
Post by Mike Halmarack
Since 4th November, when my supplier stopped being Peoples Energy
and became British Gas, I have been urged by email to enter my meter
readings on the British Gas website. This I have attempted to do 17
times so far.
If you are using XP it don't work on the shite BG site. There are phone
numbers and you can talk to fucking Abdul.
Jim GM4DHJ ...
...in wagga wagga
Tim Streater
2022-01-09 15:23:34 UTC
Post by Mike Halmarack
Since 4th November, when my supplier stopped being Peoples Energy and
became British Gas, I have been urged by email to enter my meter
readings on the British Gas website. This I have attempted to do 17
times so far.
If you are using XP it don't work on the shite BG site. There are phone
numbers and you can talk to fucking Abdul.
When did XP go out of mainstream support ?
(That said I did catch a story recently about needing IE6 for a new
government site to do with permits for Brexit or something).
See my sig below.
--
Anyone who slaps a 'this page is best viewed with Browser X' label on a Web page appears to be yearning for the bad old days, before the Web, when you had very little chance of reading a document written on another computer, another word processor, or another network.

-- Tim Berners-Lee
Jethro_uk
No sig I can see ?
Tim Streater
2022-01-09 16:18:26 UTC
Post by Jethro_uk
Post by Tim Streater
Post by Mike Halmarack
Since 4th November, when my supplier stopped being Peoples Energy
and became British Gas, I have been urged by email to enter my
meter readings on the British Gas website. This I have attempted to
do 17 times so far.
If you are using XP it don't work on the shite BG site. There are
phone numbers and you can talk to fucking Abdul.
When did XP go out of mainstream support ?
(That said I did catch a story recently about needing IE6 for a new
government site to do with permits for Brexit or something).
See my sig below.
No sig I can see ?
Get a better newsreader.
"Freedom is sloppy. But since tyranny's the only guaranteed byproduct of those who insist on a perfect world, freedom will have to do." -- Bigby Wolf
Jethro_uk
2022-01-09 17:09:37 UTC
Post by Tim Streater
Post by Jethro_uk
Post by Tim Streater
Post by Mike Halmarack
Since 4th November, when my supplier stopped being Peoples Energy
and became British Gas, I have been urged by email to enter my
meter readings on the British Gas website. This I have attempted
to do 17 times so far.
If you are using XP it don't work on the shite BG site. There are
phone numbers and you can talk to fucking Abdul.
When did XP go out of mainstream support ?
(That said I did catch a story recently about needing IE6 for a new
government site to do with permits for Brexit or something).
See my sig below.
No sig I can see ?
Get a better newsreader.
Ah, it seems one of those Linux "upgrades" has either added a new feature
to Pan newsreader, or decided to change the setting on an existing one.
Who know ?

So anyway, returning to my question, and slightly ignoring the
implications of your signature, I ask again: when did XP go out of
support ? Bearing in mind we aren't talking about an XP (presumably IE)
website not working on a Win11 Edge/Chrome/Firefox setup. But the
reverse. A modern Win11 Edge/Chrome/Firefox website not running on
Windows XP - an OS which is almost a decade out of support and as close
to obsolete as is possible.
The Natural Philosopher
2022-01-09 17:51:51 UTC
Post by Jethro_uk
when did XP go out of
support ?
I think around 2009.
WOKE is an acronym... Without Originality, Knowledge or Education.
Jethro_uk
2022-01-09 18:15:13 UTC
Post by The Natural Philosopher
when did XP go out of support ?
I think around 2009.
I thought it was a bit later - MS were forced to extend it at least once
because so few people had Win 7 (let's forget Vista shall we ?).

I know I was running it - against compliance - in 2012. I think I was
finally upgraded in 2013. When you have 1,000+ desktops with a myriad of
interlocking 3rd party applications, testing and rolling it isn't trivial.
Andy Burns
2022-01-15 10:02:16 UTC
Post by Jethro_uk
Post by The Natural Philosopher
when did XP go out of support ?
I think around 2009.
I thought it was a bit later
The absolute latest supported version was for embedded EPOS systems, which ended
in 2019 (unless anyone knows of an "XP for aircraft carriers"?
The Natural Philosopher
2022-01-15 10:35:56 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by Jethro_uk
Post by The Natural Philosopher
when did XP go out of support ?
I think around 2009.
I thought it was a bit later
The absolute latest supported version was for embedded EPOS systems,
which ended in 2019 (unless anyone knows of an "XP for aircraft carriers"?
Mine still runs..Bugs and all. In its little virtual machine
--
"And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch".

Gospel of St. Mathew 15:14
Jethro_uk
2022-01-17 08:57:59 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by Jethro_uk
Post by The Natural Philosopher
when did XP go out of support ?
I think around 2009.
I thought it was a bit later
The absolute latest supported version was for embedded EPOS systems,
which ended in 2019 (unless anyone knows of an "XP for aircraft carriers"?
Mine still runs..Bugs and all. In its little virtual machine
I have a VM all saved away with XP.

If I do need Windows now, I have a Win 7 Laptop my son ****ed the screen
on (a second time). I was able to plug a monitor in to install NX and now
access it from my Mint laptop if I *need* windows. The last time was to
run some RMM software from Kaseya that I was using at work because they
don't supply a Linux viewer.
Tim Streater
2022-01-10 14:59:45 UTC
Post by Jethro_uk
Post by Tim Streater
Post by Jethro_uk
Post by Tim Streater
Post by Mike Halmarack
[...]
I neither know nor care.
Post by Jethro_uk
Bearing in mind we aren't talking about an XP (presumably IE)
website not working on a Win11 Edge/Chrome/Firefox setup. But the
reverse. A modern Win11 Edge/Chrome/Firefox website not running on ...
What does this even mean? Something is either a website or it's not.

-- Tim Berners-Lee
Theo
2022-01-08 22:05:27 UTC
Post by Mike Halmarack
There were other contact details such as phone a number, a long and
fruitless experience, or Online Chat. Both of these have failed to
achieve communication so far.
https://www.britishgas.co.uk/complaints/make-a-complaint-credit.html

Write it all down in a letter and post it to them. It's much more efficient
than dealing with call centre people etc, since you can put down all the
facts in one place and organise them how you want, rather than having to
drip feed them via phone or web chat.

It's also more efficient for them, since they can pass your letter on to the
right person who can sort it out, rather than being transferred between call
handlers who can't do anything.

It may take a while - in the meantime keep an eye on the direct debit and
don't be afraid to cancel it if something is badly wrong (like they want to
take vast sums or something)

Theo
Jethro_uk
2022-01-09 14:27:46 UTC
Post by Theo
Write it all down in a letter and post it to them. It's much more
efficient than dealing with call centre people etc, since you can put
down all the facts in one place and organise them how you want, rather
than having to drip feed them via phone or web chat.
If only there was an electronic way to do that. You know. Save paper and
fuel resources.

Someone should work on that. Could be a winner.
Mike Halmarack
2022-01-10 08:24:09 UTC
On Sun, 9 Jan 2022 14:27:46 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
Post by Jethro_uk
Post by Theo
Write it all down in a letter and post it to them. It's much more
efficient than dealing with call centre people etc, since you can put
down all the facts in one place and organise them how you want, rather
than having to drip feed them via phone or web chat.
If only there was an electronic way to do that. You know. Save paper and
fuel resources.
If there was it would soon be destructively handicapped.
It's all going one way, like good old "His Masters Voice" as in
Mike
Brian Gaff (Sofa)
2022-01-09 08:28:57 UTC
I'm not surprised. Others who have been sent to them seem to be having
similar problems. The facts are, that the BG system works entirely
differently to the old energy company and it seems that unless it is exactly
like a British Gas product the date cannot be accepted. The discussion needs
to I think include somebody like the watchdog, inn the meantime I'd be
tempted to pay your estimate not theirs and inform them of the reasons, but
do keep all paper and email correspondence, as they are inept and confused.

I'm with EDF, and that seems to work at the moment.
Mike
Mike Halmarack
Mike
Mike Halmarack
2022-01-10 08:31:03 UTC
Post by Brian Gaff (Sofa)
I'm not surprised. Others who have been sent to them seem to be having
similar problems. The facts are, that the BG system works entirely
differently to the old energy company and it seems that unless it is exactly
like a British Gas product the date cannot be accepted. The discussion needs
to I think include somebody like the watchdog, inn the meantime I'd be
tempted to pay your estimate not theirs and inform them of the reasons, but
do keep all paper and email correspondence, as they are inept and confused.
Good advice, paticularly as there seems to be few, if any other
avenues.
Post by Brian Gaff (Sofa)
I'm with EDF, and that seems to work at the moment.
Brian
My wife is still struggling to forgive me for moving from EDF to the
"less expensive" Peoples Energy.
Mike
Richard
2022-01-11 14:42:47 UTC
Post by Brian Gaff (Sofa)
I'm with EDF, and that seems to work at the moment.
Brian
My wife is still struggling to forgive me for moving from EDF to the
"less expensive" Peoples Energy.
FWIW, yesterday I bypassed the phone calls etc. when wanting to complain
about the boiler service crap they tried to foist on me.
Google for CEO british gas gave me a name for the appropriate top level
person. Quick email to ***@britishgas.co.uk got me a
response that was satisfactory.
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2022-01-10 09:08:07 UTC
Post by Mike Halmarack
[...]
what did you expect from a computer ....
The roads must roll ...
Mike Halmarack
2022-01-10 10:04:44 UTC
On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 09:08:07 +0000, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Mike Halmarack
[...]
I was wondering when you'd ever write something that I agreed with.
This could be it.
Mike
Adrian Caspersz
2022-01-17 09:15:08 UTC
Post by Mike Halmarack
Since 4th November, when my supplier stopped being Peoples Energy and
became British Gas, I have been urged by email to enter my meter
readings on the British Gas website. This I have attempted to do 17
times so far.
Message: "Something Went Wrong" due to technical difficulties, has
always been the result.
To overcome this I've been instructed to change my password on 3
occasions. This didn't gain me access either.
If customers can't easily contact a supplier, there is an accessibility
problem that need to be addressed to the regulator.

What is (maybe not) needed is for some enterprising intermediary
ambulance chaser style third party to set up a "British Gas estimate
claims management company"....

"let us handle your British Gas compensation for ya"

If that idea has wings and flies, I hereby claim 2% royalties....
--
Adrian C