Drilling through a uPVC door frame
Add Reply
Another John
2021-01-13 17:12:17 UTC
Hello all,

About a month ago I enquired about "kinetic bell pushes". The resulting
discussion here in D-I-Y resulted in me being convinced to try
re-connecting the house's old wired bell system. I've since looked at
doing that and it looks like it might be possible. So ...

Re-connection will entail running an extension of the old wire to the
outside of the porch (built long after the old bell was installed).

I seem to remember seeing words of caution, in here, about drilling
through the frame of a uPVC construction: any words of wisdom on that
for me, please?

(I realise that there is a steel core to this uPVC. Also, the hole I
drill will be in the left hand upright, on which the door is hung -- not
that I expect that a 5mm hole for bellwire will have an effect on that,
but that location may have a bearing on the steel to be expected.)

Cheers all
John
Brian Gaff (Sofa)
2021-01-13 17:31:35 UTC
Has the edge been filled with foam and silicon sealant? Mine was and I
simply found a suitable place and poked a screwdriver through the gap and
then the wire, Thin enough and you can run it slightly to the side and file
a slot in the bottom of the bell push to connect it. Of course my porch is
brick and where the mortar is there is plenty of room where its filled with
the foam.
John
Jeff Layman
2021-01-13 18:45:46 UTC
Post by Another John
[...]
I don't know whether it would be possible, but have you considered using
telephone wire (the sort used for RJ11 connection) for the wiring? The
sort of wire I'm referring to is used here:
<https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-slimline-telephone-extension-kit-25m/p/0342647>

It is very thin and pretty flexible. I wondered if you could run it
along the PVC and out to the bell push without needing to drill into the
frame at all.
Jeff
williamwright
2021-01-13 18:49:00 UTC
Post by Another John
I seem to remember seeing words of caution, in here, about drilling
through the frame of a uPVC construction: any words of wisdom on that
for me, please?
When I was an aerial and satellite installer this was an absolute no-no.
Drilling a PVC frame led to all sorts of bother: warranties, leaks,
cracking, etc.
Normally we'd drill through the wall nearby, or drill into the mortar
joint at an angle at each side of the PVC, thus making a curved hole
that a stiff draw wire could get though.
Doorbells should be mounted on masonry adjacent to the frame, with the
hole going right through. Mount the bell on a nice-looking wooden
pattress if necessary.

Bill
jon
2021-01-14 05:43:00 UTC
Post by Another John
[...]
My front door has a spy hole with some sort of screwed-in glass viewer,
some people with similar doors have removed this and run a wire through.
alan_m
2021-01-14 10:15:10 UTC
Post by jon
My front door has a spy hole with some sort of screwed-in glass viewer,
some people with similar doors have removed this and run a wire through.
Just fit a wireless doorbell - even then the majority of delivery
drivers seem to ignore it and knock.
Andy Burns
2021-01-14 10:22:39 UTC
Post by alan_m
Post by jon
My front door has a spy hole with some sort of screwed-in glass viewer,
some people with similar doors have removed this and run a wire through.
Just fit a wireless doorbell
While I was fitting my front door, I drilled a hole down the vertical
part of the frame and fed a bellwire, so nothing other than the
push-button is visible inside or out.
Post by alan_m
even then the majority of delivery
drivers seem to ignore it and knock.
Even with an illuminated button (which ought to be a clue it will work)
and the bell being within earshot of the door (so they know afterwards
it has worked) they usually knock a couple of seconds after ringing
anyway, I tend to turn on the hall light on my way past the landing
switch to let them know I'm on the way, to stop them knocking again!
Mike Clarke
2021-01-14 10:38:02 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
even then the majority of delivery drivers seem to ignore it and knock.
Even with an illuminated button (which ought to be a clue it will work)
and the bell being within earshot of the door (so they know afterwards
it has worked) they usually knock a couple of seconds after ringing
anyway, I tend to turn on the hall light on my way past the landing
switch to let them know I'm on the way, to stop them knocking again!
I don't mind them knocking as well as ringing the bell. It's the ones
who ignore the bell and just knock that are the problem. We will hear
the bell wherever we are in the house but if we're at the other and of
the house there's no way we'll hear someone tapping on the door.
charles
2021-01-14 11:00:41 UTC
Post by Mike Clarke
Post by Andy Burns
even then the majority of delivery drivers seem to ignore it and knock.
Even with an illuminated button (which ought to be a clue it will work)
and the bell being within earshot of the door (so they know afterwards
it has worked) they usually knock a couple of seconds after ringing
anyway, I tend to turn on the hall light on my way past the landing
switch to let them know I'm on the way, to stop them knocking again!
I don't mind them knocking as well as ringing the bell. It's the ones
who ignore the bell and just knock that are the problem. We will hear
the bell wherever we are in the house but if we're at the other and of
the house there's no way we'll hear someone tapping on the door.
There is another category. they just drop the package on the doormat and
go. I've just installed an Arlo camera system, so my phone beeps at me when
the arrive.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Dave Plowman (News)
2021-01-14 10:58:56 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Even with an illuminated button (which ought to be a clue it will work)
and the bell being within earshot of the door (so they know afterwards
it has worked) they usually knock a couple of seconds after ringing
anyway, I tend to turn on the hall light on my way past the landing
switch to let them know I'm on the way, to stop them knocking again!
Same here. Replaced the weedy light with a couple of bright LEDs - clearly
visible in daylight. And removed the door knocker.
--
*I don't have a license to kill, but I do have a learner's permit.

Dave Plowman ***@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Another John
2021-01-14 10:33:03 UTC
Post by alan_m
Just fit a wireless doorbell - even then the majority of delivery
drivers seem to ignore it and knock.
Yes. Been through that loop thanks. The theme of the previous
discussion on porch door bells was prompted by my wondering if a kinetic
doorbell would be better than a conventional wireless doorbell.

The porch was built 10 years ago, and I fitted a wireless door bell
because of the problem of wiring out to the porch door. For all of
those ten years I had problems of unreliability: sometimes it would
work, sometimes it would not. (All potential causes explored -- no
success. Over ten years.)

The objective of taking up the old wired doorbell again is to free
myself of this annoying unreliability. The old bell was probably
installed with the house - 60 years ago. It still works (but is
currently _inside_ the porch).

Cheers
John
Andy Burns
2021-01-14 10:43:55 UTC
The theme of the previous discussion on porch door bells was prompted
by my wondering if a kinetic doorbell would be better than a
conventional wireless doorbell.
Well, it has no batteries to go flat, but also no way for the drivers to
be aware of that, so not likely to improve the drivers' usage ...
Dave Plowman (News)
2021-01-14 11:02:47 UTC
Post by Another John
Post by alan_m
Just fit a wireless doorbell - even then the majority of delivery
drivers seem to ignore it and knock.
Yes. Been through that loop thanks. The theme of the previous
discussion on porch door bells was prompted by my wondering if a kinetic
doorbell would be better than a conventional wireless doorbell.
The porch was built 10 years ago, and I fitted a wireless door bell
because of the problem of wiring out to the porch door. For all of
those ten years I had problems of unreliability: sometimes it would
work, sometimes it would not. (All potential causes explored -- no
success. Over ten years.)
The objective of taking up the old wired doorbell again is to free
myself of this annoying unreliability. The old bell was probably
installed with the house - 60 years ago. It still works (but is
currently _inside_ the porch).
The easy way to me would be to fit the wire round the outside of the door
frame. But then I never run surface cables so would expect to have making
good to do.
--
*No I haven't stolen it , I'm just a shit driver*

Dave Plowman (News)
2021-01-14 10:55:51 UTC
Post by alan_m
Post by jon
My front door has a spy hole with some sort of screwed-in glass viewer,
some people with similar doors have removed this and run a wire through.
Just fit a wireless doorbell - even then the majority of delivery
drivers seem to ignore it and knock.
Never ceases to amaze me how many houses once fitted with a wired doorbell
now have wireless ones. Cables must have self destructed. I can understand
this in a household that does no DIY - but on here?
--
*Husbands should come with instructions