integrated dishwasher
Add Reply
Algernon Goss-Custard
2021-10-09 08:09:52 UTC
Two years ago we had the kitchen re-fitted, with the wife insisting on
an integrated dishwasher. Now this thing is moving when you open the
door. You can see the whole body of the machine move up and down as if
the motion of the door is levering it somehow. Why would this happen?
Algernon
Chris J Dixon
2021-10-09 08:50:37 UTC
Post by Algernon Goss-Custard
Two years ago we had the kitchen re-fitted, with the wife insisting on
an integrated dishwasher. Now this thing is moving when you open the
door. You can see the whole body of the machine move up and down as if
the motion of the door is levering it somehow. Why would this happen?
How is the outer door fitted? Is there a link to a separate
section which does not hinge directly with the appliance door,
but is linked to it?

It may be that the geometry is wrong, or an adjustment has
drifted since installation, so that as you lower the door, it is
levering the appliance against, for instance, the kick strip.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Brian
2021-10-09 09:04:17 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Algernon Goss-Custard
Two years ago we had the kitchen re-fitted, with the wife insisting on
an integrated dishwasher. Now this thing is moving when you open the
door. You can see the whole body of the machine move up and down as if
the motion of the door is levering it somehow. Why would this happen?
How is the outer door fitted? Is there a link to a separate
section which does not hinge directly with the appliance door,
but is linked to it?
It may be that the geometry is wrong, or an adjustment has
drifted since installation, so that as you lower the door, it is
levering the appliance against, for instance, the kick strip.
Chris
As above but also check the feet. They are generally adjustable. They may
have moved or sunk into the floor, especially if you have wooden floors.
Brian Gaff (Sofa)
Algernon
GB
2021-10-09 11:11:48 UTC
Post by Algernon Goss-Custard
Two years ago we had the kitchen re-fitted, with the wife insisting on
an integrated dishwasher. Now this thing is moving when you open the
door. You can see the whole body of the machine move up and down as if
the motion of the door is levering it somehow. Why would this happen?
On our Bosch integrated DW, there are are two very slim brackets that
stick out just above the door. These need to be screwed into something
above them, once the dishwasher is in place. Ours are screwed into the
worktop above.

With our DW, these brackets are essential to stop it rocking in the way
you have described. I'm guessing your brackets, or whichever equivalent
system your DW has, have come unattached.

With ours, it's nothing to do with levelling the feet. The DW itself is
quite light, and the door has a lot of leverage. By the time you've
attached a heavy wooden door front to it, the bit that flaps down is
comparable in weight to the rest of the machine.
Tim+
2021-10-09 12:01:04 UTC
Post by Algernon Goss-Custard
Two years ago we had the kitchen re-fitted, with the wife insisting on
an integrated dishwasher. Now this thing is moving when you open the
door. You can see the whole body of the machine move up and down as if
the motion of the door is levering it somehow. Why would this happen?
I would check the plinth below the machine first. If it’s moved outward the
bottom of the door will tend to lever the machine up if it touches it.

Tim
Please don't feed the trolls
critcher
2021-10-10 15:00:38 UTC
Post by Algernon Goss-Custard
Two years ago we had the kitchen re-fitted, with the wife insisting on
an integrated dishwasher. Now this thing is moving when you open the
door. You can see the whole body of the machine move up and down as if
the motion of the door is levering it somehow. Why would this happen?
there should be screw fittings on the sides and top of the washer, but
they do work loose.Get it in position check the door opens ok, screw the
leg adjustments to where you need them,then screw it to the worktop and
side panels. Dont forget the steam proof flashing under the worktop.
Algernon Goss-Custard
2021-10-13 08:29:11 UTC
Post by critcher
Post by Algernon Goss-Custard
Two years ago we had the kitchen re-fitted, with the wife insisting
on an integrated dishwasher. Now this thing is moving when you open
the door. You can see the whole body of the machine move up and down
as if the motion of the door is levering it somehow. Why would this happen?
there should be screw fittings on the sides and top of the washer, but
they do work loose.Get it in position check the door opens ok, screw
the leg adjustments to where you need them,then screw it to the worktop
and side panels. Dont forget the steam proof flashing under the worktop.
Thanks for replies. The machine is not fixed to the worktop, which is
marble. I did try tightening the feet, and that helped to hold the
machine inj place, but now the thing has reverted to the way it was.
Evidently the feet are being shifted by the leverage of the door opening
- but leverage against what? I can't see.
Algernon
Robert
2021-10-13 08:49:36 UTC
Post by critcher
[...]
Kickboard is the only thing the door can lever against assuming its not
catching at the sides.
The instructions for my Miele says adjust feet until top touches
underneath of worktop, also say you can screw into cabinet sides if an
exact fit.
Tim Streater
2021-10-13 08:55:58 UTC
Post by critcher
[...]
Ours has a flange that sticks out at the front at the top; this is tacked to
the underneath of the worktop. Our worktop was marble, which we ditched when
the kitchen was redone. Marble is no doubt all the rage, but we got fed up
with how unforgiving it is when it meets any piece of crockery; chip rate has
gone down to zero. And the DW doesn't move, either.
--
All of science is either physics or stamp-collecting.

Ernest Rutherford
Algernon Goss-Custard
2021-10-13 11:16:49 UTC
Post by critcher
[...]
Would you be interested in swapping wives?
Algernon
ARW
2021-10-13 18:55:45 UTC
On 13 Oct 2021 at 09:29:11 BST, Algernon Goss-Custard
Post by critcher
[...]
Or rephrasing that?

Adam
Chris J Dixon
2021-10-17 06:44:10 UTC
Post by Tim Streater
Ours has a flange that sticks out at the front at the top; this is tacked to
the underneath of the worktop. Our worktop was marble, which we ditched when
the kitchen was redone. Marble is no doubt all the rage, but we got fed up
with how unforgiving it is when it meets any piece of crockery; chip rate has
gone down to zero. And the DW doesn't move, either.
Would you be interested in swapping wives?
A less drastic potential solution, I spotted this in the paper,
and thought of you.

<https://www.steadyspin.co.uk/>

"So easy to install, just slip the vinyl bladder between your
machine and counter top then inflate to a snug fit with the handy
manual pump, which can be hidden away so you can't see it."

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Algernon Goss-Custard
2021-10-17 16:54:52 UTC
Post by Tim Streater
Ours has a flange that sticks out at the front at the top; this is tacked to
the underneath of the worktop. Our worktop was marble, which we ditched when
the kitchen was redone. Marble is no doubt all the rage, but we got fed up
with how unforgiving it is when it meets any piece of crockery; chip rate has
gone down to zero. And the DW doesn't move, either.
Would you be interested in swapping wives?
A less drastic potential solution, I spotted this in the paper,
and thought of you.
<https://www.steadyspin.co.uk/>
"So easy to install, just slip the vinyl bladder between your
machine and counter top then inflate to a snug fit with the handy
manual pump, which can be hidden away so you can't see it."
I've more or less decided that it's the fitting that's wrong. It's too
tight to the cupboards on either side of it, so that when you open or
close the dishwasher door it jams slightly against the cupboards and
levers the dishwasher body upwards. Not sure what I can do about that,
other than move the whole cupboard line sideways by a centimetre, which
seems excessive given all the other things in situ, like the hob.
Algernon
Rod Speed
2021-10-13 16:52:35 UTC
Post by critcher
Post by Algernon Goss-Custard
Two years ago we had the kitchen re-fitted, with the wife insisting on
an integrated dishwasher. Now this thing is moving when you open the
door. You can see the whole body of the machine move up and down as if
the motion of the door is levering it somehow. Why would this happen?
there should be screw fittings on the sides and top of the washer, but
they do work loose.Get it in position check the door opens ok, screw the
leg adjustments to where you need them,then screw it to the worktop and
side panels. Dont forget the steam proof flashing under the worktop.
Thanks for replies. The machine is not fixed to the worktop,
Clearly it needs to be.
Post by Algernon Goss-Custard
which is marble.
Still perfectly possible with those.
against what? I can't see.
Peeler
2021-10-13 17:42:47 UTC
On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 03:52:35 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

***@home to senile know-it-all Rodent Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."