Racking toolboxes
Add Reply
newshound
2021-09-14 10:45:12 UTC
My high-grade tool storage solution, being the cartons from Lidl's finest
nuts, has met its end. So I'm in the market for a replacement series of
toolboxes.
The Lidl cardboard gives me an idea for the sort of toolbox I'd like. I'm
https://www.screwfix.com/p/wall-mountable-storage-kit-2-12-x-tc2-bins/49420
but stackable, with a lid and a top handle. So they can live on the wall
most of the time, but I can carry them around and stack them in the car if
they need to travel. The parts bin front means it's easy to access the
tools without removing the box from the wall (a wall bracket wouldn't
strictly be necessary; resting on shelves would suffice), but they would be
easily picked up and moved around where needed. It would be nice if the
lids would fold up, but OK if a detachable part.
https://www.rapidracking.com/en/rra/50l-containers-with-coloured-lids-pack-of-4
but too large, no handle and look a bit flimsy.
Anyone seen anything like this available anywhere? I'm not really sure how
to search for it.
I suppose I could put regular plastic toolboxes in drawers, but the nice
thing about racking or shelving is that the space is clear if the boxes
aren't there, whereas the drawers would still take up space even if empty,
and drawers need extra depth to pull them out.
Suggestions welcome...
Thanks
Theo
I believe in boxes. I generally keep tools that don't have their own
blow-moulded boxes in things like this

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mac-allister-aluminium-organiser-case-18-x-12/4535p

(this is a relatively expensive example, the general search term is
flight case, Maplin used to do good ones at half the price in periodic
offers).

These have a similar footprint to these

https://www.screwfix.com/p/goldscrew-pz-double-countersunk-general-trade-case-1400-pcs/73022

so they can be stored in the same way. In my case, typically on their
long edge underneath a metal workbench. Toolboxes are marked with
permanent marker or fabric paint markers to make it easy to find them.

Other collections of nuts, screws, bolts, etc. live in plastic toolboxes
like these.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-fatmax-deep-pro-organiser-14-x-18-/22910

These are very robust and stack well (and have a similar footprint to
the "metal briefcase" type flight case).

I keep other stuff in smaller plastic cases with either fixed or
adjustable dividers, if Lidl have an offer I might buy three at a time,
to make stacking easier. I find it is important to mark them clearly on
two edges, these are best stacked "flat".

I have never got on well with the wall racking parts bins, although that
is partly related to the odd shape and build of my workshop. For
something like a garage with a bench along a wall, they work OK there.
Theo
2021-09-14 13:27:05 UTC
Post by newshound
I have never got on well with the wall racking parts bins, although that
is partly related to the odd shape and build of my workshop. For
something like a garage with a bench along a wall, they work OK there.
I found there's some interesting items available in the retail logistics
side of things - the kind of plastic trays and crates that supermarkets use.
This is almost right:

https://www.toscaltd.com/product_family/egg-crates-en-gb/?lang=en-gb&productid=10186

but I'd prefer if it opened on the short side to save shelf space (many
hand tools are long and thin), and there's carry handles but no lid.

Some of the folding crates are nice, but they tend to only fold a side down
when empty, which would mean having to lift all the tools before converting
from shelving to portable mode. And some of the consumer ones have a solid rim
that would get in the way of taking things out of the side.

Still pondering...

Theo
Andy Burns
2021-09-14 13:43:59 UTC
Post by Theo
I found there's some interesting items available in the retail logistics
side of things - the kind of plastic trays and crates that supermarkets use.
https://www.toscaltd.com/product_family/egg-crates-en-gb/?lang=en-gb&productid=10186
but I'd prefer if it opened on the short side
Years ago we did some work for Ricoh, and each time they sent us some
prototype hardware, it was in a crate that looked like it'd been plucked
off a production line somewhere, very sturdy, dunno if they have a
generic name, these look similar

<https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/12027526402>
Alan J. Wylie
2021-09-14 14:32:33 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Years ago we did some work for Ricoh, and each time they sent us some
prototype hardware, it was in a crate that looked like it'd been
plucked off a production line somewhere, very sturdy, dunno if they
have a generic name, these look similar
<https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/12027526402>
That's almost exactly what I bought for my shed storage, except I went
for 27 litre, rather than 65. They aren't particularly cheap (£9.23
each, though they were only £7.50 back in May), but I'm very happy with
them.

No lid, no handle, but open on the short side.

A photo in my shed:

51cm Industrial Plastic Euro Storage Container, 27 litre open:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332162231299

External size: 505mm (long) x 295mm (wide) x 230mm (tall).
Internal Size: 470mm (long) x 265mm (wide) x 220mm (tall).
--
Alan J. Wylie https://www.wylie.me.uk/

Dance like no-one's watching. / Encrypt like everyone is.
Security is inversely proportional to convenience
newshound
2021-09-14 17:28:12 UTC
https://rfvt.org.uk/tmp/shedstorage.jpg
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332162231299
External size: 505mm (long) x 295mm (wide) x 230mm (tall).
Internal Size: 470mm (long) x 265mm (wide) x 220mm (tall).
Good for big stuff, I agree. I have stuff like that on shelving, often
in old washing up bowls or "ordinary" storage boxes.

The other advantage of my approach is that if I need to do a job
somewhere else I can grab (for example) the box with cordless drills,
the SDS drill box, the box of drills (augers, masonry, flat drills etc),
the rawlplugs box, the coach bolt box, and the ordinary screws box.
Theo
2021-09-14 21:22:44 UTC
Post by Alan J. Wylie
That's almost exactly what I bought for my shed storage, except I went
for 27 litre, rather than 65. They aren't particularly cheap (£9.23
each, though they were only £7.50 back in May), but I'm very happy with
them.
No lid, no handle, but open on the short side.
https://rfvt.org.uk/tmp/shedstorage.jpg
Those are quite nice - reminds me we used to have such a wall of boxes at
work. They got thrown out - if only forward planning...
(the other downside is wanting to remove a crate from the stack)

Thought I'd give some of these a go - if they don't work out I can always
use them for something else:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174890798499

It seems the maker, Polymer Logistics, makes the crates for Tesco, Asda and
Sainsbury's - there's a continuous cycle of crates going from farm to
warehouse to store and back round again. Cheesy but interesting video:

Theo