Cloning hard drive to SSD - help needed to find where Windows resides
Murmansk
2016-07-09 14:00:36 UTC
I am wanting to replace the hard disc in a desktop machine with a solid
state drive in order to make the machine run a bit faster.

I have done this a couple of times before without any problem but this time
I am having a few issues and I wondered if anyone might be able to shed
some light on it for me

The SSD is 240 megabytes and the hard disc is roughly 1 terabyte. I am
using Macrium Reflect free software to do the cloning. I have used this
before but the results it is giving me when I analyse what is on the disc
are slightly confusing and I have created a screenshot and attached it.

I am unsure as to whether the operating system is on the 800gb partition of
the hard drive or whether it is on one of the smaller partitions which are
shown on the screen shot. My first attempt at doing the cloning was
unsuccessful because the software reported that there was not enough space
on my SSD to receive what was going to go onto it and this was because I
was including the 800 gigabyte partition in the process because I assumed
windows to be on there. I had reduced the size of the data on there to a
size which should have fitted on the SSD but I think the cloning software
wants to copy the whole of the partition even though most of it is empty
and therefore that explains why I'm getting the error message.

The hard disc is in a Dell machine which was on Windows 8 and has recently
been updated to Windows 10, it also probably includes a recovery partition
which is making it slightly more difficult to work out what is going on.

The bottom line is please could someone take a look at the screen shot and
tell me where they think Windows 10 is living on the hard disk.

Thanks

Graham.
2016-07-09 14:29:34 UTC
On Sat, 9 Jul 2016 07:00:36 -0700 (PDT), Murmansk
Post by Murmansk
[...]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mddkuwqimgkufx/Capture.jpg?dl=0
Windows is on the 800GB partition c:
If you really want to check, boot up the machine and look in control
panel - system - advanced - enviroment variables - windir
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Davidm
2016-07-09 15:32:00 UTC
Post by Murmansk
[...]
Just for future reference alt.comp.os.windows-10 is a good place for
getting answers to questions about Windows 10. Some very helpful
people on there, as well as here of course ;)
Roger Mills
2016-07-09 17:25:46 UTC
Post by Murmansk
[...]
Windows is in the 857GB partition, but only actually 80-odd GB of it.

If you want to clone it to a smaller SSD, you may have to reduce the
partition size first. There are various partition managers which allow
you to do this, and create an additional (empty) partition with the
extra space.
--
Cheers,
Roger
checked.
Nick
2016-07-09 17:46:43 UTC
Post by Roger Mills
Post by Murmansk
[...]
I'm not a W10 expert, but assuming the same tools lurk as in previous
versions you can just search and run cmd and type 'set' to find the
windir variable contents and, assuming C: is a basic volume, run
diskmgmt.msc from the cmd window and select, right click and shrink it
to less than the size of the SSD.
Nick (=----)
Johnny B Good
2016-07-09 18:01:05 UTC
Post by Murmansk
[...]
The screenshot quite clearly indicates that the OS is on the 857GB 5th
primary partition identified as OS(C). You'll have to shrink this
partition by at least 631GiB to fit all 7 primary partitions onto a
240GiB SSD (or even more if the SSD is actually only 240GB - check its
reported size in MR Free).

You can either shrink the partition (drive C) first, using whatever
partition management software you have to hand that can handle GPT disks,
or else on-the-fly during the cloning process if MR Free supports this
feature.

Although win10 may offer a partition resizing option in its disk
management control panel, it may be rather limited in its ability to
shrink a disk volume. A proper 3rd party partition management tool may be
the only way to do the job if MR Free doesn't include this facility.

I'm rather out of touch with what's on offer these days by way of GPT
aware partition management software. The last time I needed to use such
tools, it was with standard MBR disks using Paragon Hard Disk Manager 9.5
Special Edition that was one of the freebies on a PC Pro magazine cover
CD some years ago now.

I imagine you'd prefer to find a free 'solution' to resizing GPT
partitions rather than splash the cash. Unfortunately I can't offer any
recommendations on free resizing tools since I don't know myself what can
be trusted to do a proper job without resorting to running partition
editing tools from a command line, so I'll be interested in any
recommendations you may get.

Alternatively, if you're considering buying a partition editor capable
of resizing that partition, you may as well consider upgrading your MR
Free to the full product - it may be a cheaper option (just a guess - you
might qualify for a discount, being a MR Free user).

HTH & GL!
Johnny B Good
John Rumm
2016-07-10 10:25:30 UTC
Post by Johnny B Good
Post by Murmansk
[...]
I found that the MR free version does not seem to handle resizing on the
fly with GPT discs that well (at least last time I tried it which was
probably 6 months ago). I have had better success with Acronis 14...
(Kingston offer a free version of that with some of their SSDs - if the
OP needs one, I probably have one of their bundled licenses spare)
--
Cheers,

John.

dennis@home
2016-07-10 15:13:30 UTC
Post by John Rumm
Post by Johnny B Good
You can either shrink the partition (drive C) first, using whatever
partition management software you have to hand that can handle GPT disks,
or else on-the-fly during the cloning process if MR Free supports this
feature.
I found that the MR free version does not seem to handle resizing on the
fly with GPT discs that well (at least last time I tried it which was
probably 6 months ago). I have had better success with Acronis 14...
(Kingston offer a free version of that with some of their SSDs - if the
OP needs one, I probably have one of their bundled licenses spare)
If you want to shrink and move partitions about then you can find some
free software to do it here

http://www.paragon-software.com/free/

I have used it to resize and move stuff about on win 10.
T i m
2016-07-10 16:06:42 UTC
Post by ***@home
Post by John Rumm
Post by Johnny B Good
You can either shrink the partition (drive C) first, using whatever
partition management software you have to hand that can handle GPT disks,
or else on-the-fly during the cloning process if MR Free supports this
feature.
I found that the MR free version does not seem to handle resizing on the
fly with GPT discs that well (at least last time I tried it which was
probably 6 months ago). I have had better success with Acronis 14...
(Kingston offer a free version of that with some of their SSDs - if the
OP needs one, I probably have one of their bundled licenses spare)
If you want to shrink and move partitions about then you can find some
free software to do it here
http://www.paragon-software.com/free/
I have used it to resize and move stuff about on win 10.
I use Gparted from most Live Linux DVD's (as I've got 100's of Linux
DVD's kicking about). ;-)

Cheers, T i m
John Rumm
2016-07-10 17:15:18 UTC
Post by T i m
Post by ***@home
Post by John Rumm
Post by Johnny B Good
[...]
There are plenty of ways of doing as a two stage process. I was thinking
more of utils that would resize while copying and leave the source
partitions at their original size.
--
Cheers,

John.

T i m
2016-07-10 19:30:23 UTC
On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 18:15:18 +0100, John Rumm
Post by John Rumm
Post by T i m
Post by ***@home
Post by John Rumm
Post by Johnny B Good
[...]
Sure, I was more replying to the 'If you want to shrink and move
partitions about then you can find some free software to do it here'
bit (so I could have snipped that last sentence). ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Johnny B Good
2016-07-12 01:12:20 UTC
====snip====
Post by T i m
I use Gparted from most Live Linux DVD's (as I've got 100's of Linux
DVD's kicking about). ;-)
There are plenty of ways of doing it as a 2 stage process. I was thinking
more of utils that would resize while copying and leave the source
partitions at their original size.
That's the main attraction of cloning tools that do this trick, no risk
of the source disk being screwed by an errant resizing operation, the
cloning software treats it as read only.

If the resized partition created on the target disk does happen to get
screwed up, it's not a major tragedy, just a major inconvenience if it
can't be fixed 'in-situ' with tools like "TestDisk" and suchlike.

One major thing to avoid when cloning to SSDs are mis-aligned partition
spaces. You need to align their starting points on 1 or 2 MB boundaries
so that not only are they 4K AF aligned, they're also aligned to the SSD's
Erase Block boundary (EB's, iirc, can range in size from 64KB to 512KB
and possibly right up to 1 or 2 MB - a 2MB boundary will guarantee this
condition for all EB sizes right up the the 2MB limit even including the
oldest models of SSD that may have used an EB size as small as 16KB).
Johnny B Good
Murmansk
2016-07-09 19:14:09 UTC
Thanks for those replies, you've confirmed what I thought that Windows is on the 800gb partition and I need to shrink it.

I've already chopped 64gb off it so I'll have another go now
Michael Chare
2016-07-09 20:32:56 UTC
Post by Murmansk
Thanks for those replies, you've confirmed what I thought that Windows is on the 800gb partition and I need to shrink it.
I've already chopped 64gb off it so I'll have another go now
A new downloaded copy of Windows 10 should just install and activate as
the MS servers will know about your hardware.
--
Michael Chare

---