OT: Fetching gmails into Thunderbird
Andrew
2019-01-10 11:53:02 UTC
Hello

I use Thunderbird to fetch, store and reply to my BT emails
and I would quite like to handle my gmail emails in the same
way, but when I press F5 and enter the gmail password I
get an error message saying that the username and password
are incorrect :-

" Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Username and password not accepted."

does gmail allow this ?.
Andy Burns
2019-01-10 11:59:28 UTC
"Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Username and password not
accepted."
does gmail allow this ?.
They prefer you to use oAuth2.0 authentication, you're probably better
off using IMAP than POP
s***@gowanhill.com
2019-01-10 12:02:12 UTC
Post by Andrew
I use Thunderbird to fetch, store and reply to my BT emails
and I would quite like to handle my gmail emails in the same
way, but when I press F5 and enter the gmail password I
get an error message saying that the username and password
are incorrect :-
" Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Username and password not accepted."
does gmail allow this ?.
Yes, but
- you may need to turn on POP/IMAP in Gmail first
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?hl=en

- you may need to allow less secure apps access
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255

Owain
Andy Burns
2019-01-10 12:12:05 UTC
Post by s***@gowanhill.com
- you may need to allow less secure apps access
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255
Google don't make it very clear that instead of enabling the "less
secure" option you can use oAuth.
The Natural Philosopher
2019-01-10 19:23:50 UTC
Post by s***@gowanhill.com
Post by Andrew
I use Thunderbird to fetch, store and reply to my BT emails
and I would quite like to handle my gmail emails in the same
way, but when I press F5 and enter the gmail password I
get an error message saying that the username and password
are incorrect :-
" Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Username and password not accepted."
does gmail allow this ?.
Yes, but
- you may need to turn on POP/IMAP in Gmail first
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?hl=en
- you may need to allow less secure apps access
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255
Owain
You may, but it still wont work
DAMHIKT
--
“But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!”

Mary Wollstonecraft
John Rumm
2019-01-11 21:45:23 UTC
Post by The Natural Philosopher
Post by s***@gowanhill.com
Post by Andrew
I use Thunderbird to fetch, store and reply to my BT emails
and I would quite like to handle my gmail emails in the same
way, but when I press F5 and enter the gmail password I
get an error message saying that the username and password
are incorrect :-
"  Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Username and password not
accepted."
does gmail allow this ?.
Yes, but
- you may need to turn on POP/IMAP in Gmail first
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?hl=en
- you may need to allow less secure apps access
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255
Owain
You may, but it still wont work
DAMHIKT
I tried it last time we had this conversation. It worked just fine here.
--
Cheers,

John.

Another Dave
2019-01-10 12:28:49 UTC
Post by Andrew
Hello
I use Thunderbird to fetch, store and reply to my BT emails
and I would quite like to handle my gmail emails in the same
way, but when I press F5 and enter the gmail password I
get an error message saying that the username and password
are incorrect :-
"  Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Username and password not
accepted."
does gmail allow this ?.
I use Thunderbird to get mail from an old gmail account. It's set to
imap.gmail.com port 993 and uses OAuth2 authentication. I don't claim
any expertise, this is what Thunderbird set it to by default and it
works fine.

Another Dave
Change nospam to techie
newshound
2019-01-10 12:47:03 UTC
Post by Another Dave
Post by Andrew
Hello
I use Thunderbird to fetch, store and reply to my BT emails
and I would quite like to handle my gmail emails in the same
way, but when I press F5 and enter the gmail password I
get an error message saying that the username and password
are incorrect :-
"  Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Username and password not
accepted."
does gmail allow this ?.
I use Thunderbird to get mail from an old gmail account. It's set to
imap.gmail.com port 993 and uses OAuth2 authentication. I don't claim
any expertise, this is what Thunderbird set it to by default and it
works fine.
Another Dave
Mine set itself up automatically without any difficulty some time ago. I
use POP on the desktop machine and IMAP on the laptops. I guess I am
less secure but I've not had any problems.
David
2019-01-10 12:58:15 UTC
Hello
I use Thunderbird to fetch, store and reply to my BT emails and I would
quite like to handle my gmail emails in the same way, but when I press
F5 and enter the gmail password I get an error message saying that the
username and password are incorrect :-
" Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Username and password not accepted."
does gmail allow this ?.
Also check that you are on the very latest version of Thunderbird.

Gmail (certainly with IMAP) performs an additional validation step whivh
the email client has to support.

If the client is too old, all you get is "invalid password".

BTDTBTTS

Cheers

Dave R

---
The Marquis Saint Evremonde
2019-01-10 15:02:46 UTC
Post by David
Hello
I use Thunderbird to fetch, store and reply to my BT emails and I would
quite like to handle my gmail emails in the same way, but when I press
F5 and enter the gmail password I get an error message saying that the
username and password are incorrect :-
" Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Username and password not accepted."
does gmail allow this ?.
Also check that you are on the very latest version of Thunderbird.
Gmail (certainly with IMAP) performs an additional validation step whivh
the email client has to support.
If the client is too old, all you get is "invalid password".
Doesn't seem to matter when using POP3. My old version of Thunderbird
picks up mail happily enough on port 995 with connection security set to
SSL/TLS and authentication on Normal password.
Evremonde
Brian Gaff
Evremonde
Jethro_uk
2019-01-10 15:20:02 UTC
Post by David
Gmail (certainly with IMAP) performs an additional validation step whivh
the email client has to support.
Possibly not true ... I can't speak for Google, but quite a few services
I used (Hotmail/Outlook, for example) are able to accommodate
applications that are not 2FA aware by allowing you to generate an "app
password". The idea being you use that specific password for your non-2FA
app, rather than having to disable 2FA, log in, and then re-enable it.

Certainly with MS and the other sites I've done this with, there's an
option in the control panel to revoke app passwords if needed.

I had to do this to allow my Android phone to pick up my Hotmail.
The Natural Philosopher
2019-01-10 19:23:14 UTC
Post by Andrew
Hello
I use Thunderbird to fetch, store and reply to my BT emails
and I would quite like to handle my gmail emails in the same
way, but when I press F5 and enter the gmail password I
get an error message saying that the username and password
are incorrect :-
"  Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Username and password not
accepted."
does gmail allow this ?.
I only ever got it to work with IMAP
or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.
dkol
Yes, I do gmail fine on a variety of email clients that way.
Michael Chare
2019-01-10 20:10:16 UTC
Post by Andrew
Hello
I use Thunderbird to fetch, store and reply to my BT emails
and I would quite like to handle my gmail emails in the same
way, but when I press F5 and enter the gmail password I
get an error message saying that the username and password
are incorrect :-
"  Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Username and password not
accepted."
does gmail allow this ?.
To receive mail I can use pop.gmail.com port 995, security SSL/TLS

To send mail I can use smtp.gmail.com port 465, security SSL/TLS

I had to set this up after some Swiss hotel blocked me from sending mail
using the Plusnet servers.
Michael Chare
Lee
2019-01-11 14:08:53 UTC
Post by Michael Chare
To receive mail I can use pop.gmail.com port 995, security SSL/TLS
To send mail I can use smtp.gmail.com port 465, security SSL/TLS
<snip>

Same here, but I use 2FA with Google so had to use a specific app
generated password for Thunderbird on Windows 10.

Only thing is Thnderbird seems a little slow in authenticating with
Google, not a big thing but it is in the order of a handful of seconds ;)
David Wade
2019-01-11 11:57:29 UTC
Post by Andrew
Hello
I use Thunderbird to fetch, store and reply to my BT emails
and I would quite like to handle my gmail emails in the same
way, but when I press F5 and enter the gmail password I
get an error message saying that the username and password
are incorrect :-
"  Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Username and password not
accepted."
does gmail allow this ?.
Well its what I do, but using IMAP. In fact I have Google pull my BT
mails into Google....

... you need to enable POP first, but as Google gives you such a big
mailbox why not leave it on their server?

Dave
Andrew
2019-01-11 12:01:16 UTC
Post by David Wade
Post by Andrew
Hello
I use Thunderbird to fetch, store and reply to my BT emails
and I would quite like to handle my gmail emails in the same
way, but when I press F5 and enter the gmail password I
get an error message saying that the username and password
are incorrect :-
"  Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Username and password not
accepted."
does gmail allow this ?.
Well its what I do, but using IMAP. In fact I have Google pull my BT
mails into Google....
... you need to enable POP first, but as Google gives you such a big
mailbox why not leave it on their server?
Dave
But I use Thunderbird to fetch all my BT emails and want to
collect gmails in the same way, not read my BT emails from
with gmail.
John Rumm
2019-01-11 21:48:39 UTC
Post by Andrew
Post by David Wade
Post by Andrew
Hello
I use Thunderbird to fetch, store and reply to my BT emails
and I would quite like to handle my gmail emails in the same
way, but when I press F5 and enter the gmail password I
get an error message saying that the username and password
are incorrect :-
"  Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Username and password not
accepted."
does gmail allow this ?.
Well its what I do, but using IMAP. In fact I have Google pull my BT
mails into Google....
... you need to enable POP first, but as Google gives you such a big
mailbox why not leave it on their server?
Dave
But I use Thunderbird to fetch all my BT emails and want to
collect gmails in the same way, not read my BT emails from
with gmail.
I think the idea is that you can have gmail do the donkey work
aggregating multiple external email boxes. Then you can then download
those along with the actual gmail messages.
--
Cheers,

John.