So that is what electricians did in the 1963 big freeze
Add Reply
ARW
2021-01-12 19:45:54 UTC

Adam
Tim Lamb
2021-01-12 20:21:39 UTC
Post by ARW
http://youtu.be/658eoX3ERAs
I'm too idle to watch it all.

The company I was training at as a technician apprentice had a nice line
in producing low voltage transformers used to pass a current through
buried frozen water pipes:-)

Wouldn't do much with blue poly now!
Tim Lamb
Fredxx
2021-01-13 04:05:17 UTC
Post by Tim Lamb
Post by ARW
http://youtu.be/658eoX3ERAs
I'm too idle to watch it all.
The company I was training at as a technician apprentice had a nice line
in producing low voltage transformers used to pass a current through
buried frozen water pipes:-)
Wouldn't do much with blue poly now!
Perhaps you could use High Voltage instead. Ice is the poorer conductor
wrt water, so power would be dissipated in the ice preferentially, ideal
really.
Brian Gaff (Sofa)
2021-01-13 08:20:09 UTC
I lived through that and where my father worked had a car park on the roof,
but luckily the driveway up to the roof had underground electric heating.
One problem was though that it was only running just before the first
employees arrived and a short time in the afternoon, resulting in it being
covered in black ice most of the rest of the time!
Tim Lamb
Tricky Dicky
2021-01-13 13:22:23 UTC
Post by Tim Lamb
Post by ARW
http://youtu.be/658eoX3ERAs
I'm too idle to watch it all.
The company I was training at as a technician apprentice had a nice line
in producing low voltage transformers used to pass a current through
buried frozen water pipes:-)
Wouldn't do much with blue poly now!
--
Tim Lamb
I can remember snow which by this time was just pure ice lying on the ground right up to Easter. The snow had even gone black from soot settling on the surface. As for Cliff Mitchelmore going on about an act of Parliament going through to make new housing more resilient, I think most housing is probably less resilient few having fireplaces anymore not that we would have the supplies of coal or coke which I remember surviving on. Our 1975 bungalow with its gas central heating is vulnerable to power cuts which I hopefully soon put right with a gas fire installed in the lounge. I feel for modern high rise dwellers a 1963 freeze will make their homes into ice boxes.

Richard
Andrew
2021-01-13 13:38:59 UTC
Post by Tim Lamb
Post by ARW
http://youtu.be/658eoX3ERAs
I'm too idle to watch it all.
The company I was training at as a technician apprentice had a nice line
in producing low voltage transformers used to pass a current through
buried frozen water pipes:-)
Wouldn't do much with blue poly now!
I grew up in South Wales and our water pipe was frozen for about
6 weeks from mid-Jan 63. Dad had to go next door with a hosepipe
(their pipe didn't freeze) and fill out tank in the loft every day.

Then one day I got home from school and the water was on. The council
had come round with a generator of some sort, connect one cable to the
stop cock under the pavement and the other to the stop cock inside
the house heated up the pipe.
bert
2021-01-12 20:31:36 UTC
Post by ARW
http://youtu.be/658eoX3ERAs
They were still doing this in the 80s/90s for the Motorola plant in
Scotland.
bert
polygonum_on_google
2021-01-13 15:58:44 UTC
Post by ARW
http://youtu.be/658eoX3ERAs
I remember that winter all too well. But it was the first winter I had in the UK (other than when too young to remember) so had no idea it was exceptional.

I was on the west coast of Scotland and, despite knowing how bad it was just a tiny bit inland, we had very little snow. At Christmas, we went to Sunderland and Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and by golly it was cold with severe snow and ice.
bert
2021-01-13 22:57:30 UTC
Post by polygonum_on_google
Post by ARW
http://youtu.be/658eoX3ERAs
I remember that winter all too well. But it was the first winter I had
in the UK (other than when too young to remember) so had no idea it was
exceptional.
I was on the west coast of Scotland and, despite knowing how bad it was
just a tiny bit inland, we had very little snow. At Christmas, we went
to Sunderland and Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and by golly it was cold with
severe snow and ice.
I was in Newcastle at the time and even though from the north east I
would say it wasn't just cold it was fucking cold.
--
bert