OT: Prescription Glasses - help!
Add Reply
GB
2021-10-06 15:39:05 UTC
I have my optical prescription, and I eventually found a frame that
works for me.

Rodenstock R2610C.

58-16-145

The snag is the optician wants £200 for the frames, and £350 for some
varifocal lenses.

I'd happily settle for something similar, with a good height for the
lenses of at least 40mm.

Or, better still, I'd buy the Rodenstock frames and lenses, but without
the obscene mark-up. There's nothing to justify that, as the optician
hasn't even done an eye test.

Anybody have any suggestions, please?
SH
take a look at www.glassesdirect.co.uk

or visit an Asda opticians
Brian Gaff (Sofa)
2021-10-07 07:22:14 UTC
Often the mark up is not all the opticians doing. Its the frame makers and
the lens fitters. If the actual size of the lens needed is non standard,
they tend to charge what they like from what I recall when I could see.
Don't even ask about lens coatings or colours.
take a look at www.glassesdirect.co.uk
or visit an Asda opticians
Steve Walker
2021-10-07 16:31:58 UTC
Post by Brian Gaff (Sofa)
Often the mark up is not all the opticians doing. Its the frame makers and
the lens fitters. If the actual size of the lens needed is non standard,
they tend to charge what they like from what I recall when I could see.
Don't even ask about lens coatings or colours.
I don't know how opticians and dentists compare, but my father once lost
his false teeth when throwing up out of a car window on the motorway (he
was being driven home from work, in agony, with what turned out to be a
kidney stone).

He went to the dentist and was quoted £350 for taking an impression and
supplying a new, full palette. He found the company that supplied them
was local and phoned up. One of the technicians took an impression and
they supplied the palette for £50.

That's some mark-up!
Theo
2021-10-06 16:04:14 UTC
Post by GB
Or, better still, I'd buy the Rodenstock frames and lenses, but without
the obscene mark-up. There's nothing to justify that, as the optician
hasn't even done an eye test.
Anybody have any suggestions, please?
Search hit:
https://www.selectspecs.com/glasses/rodenstock/r2610/ss1154.75.html
about £190 all in for basic varifocals.

(not the 'C' suffix, I don't know what that means)

Theo
Sysadmin
2021-10-06 16:30:55 UTC
Post by GB
I have my optical prescription, and I eventually found a frame that
works for me.
Rodenstock R2610C.
58-16-145
The snag is the optician wants £200 for the frames, and £350 for some
varifocal lenses.
I'd happily settle for something similar, with a good height for the
lenses of at least 40mm.
Or, better still, I'd buy the Rodenstock frames and lenses, but without
the obscene mark-up. There's nothing to justify that, as the optician
hasn't even done an eye test.
Anybody have any suggestions, please?
I used goggles4u, made in the states, but office in Gloucester. I bought
rimless varifocal prescription lenses with coatings for £106....plenty of
frames to choose from.
Sysadmin
.....I forgot to mention the lenses are photochromic as well.
Robin
2021-10-06 16:50:53 UTC
Post by Sysadmin
I used goggles4u, made in the states,
Maybe. Their site has "We have our production facilities in Thailand,
US and Pakistan".
--
Robin
Sysadmin
2021-10-06 16:56:37 UTC
Post by Robin
Post by Sysadmin
I used goggles4u, made in the states,
Maybe. Their site has "We have our production facilities in Thailand,
US and Pakistan".
Why would that make a difference if the specification is met. More than
likely they have a very sophisticated, expensive computer controlled
machine, that is accurate and quick.
Robin
2021-10-06 19:35:59 UTC
Post by Sysadmin
Post by Robin
Post by Sysadmin
I used goggles4u, made in the states,
Maybe. Their site has "We have our production facilities in Thailand,
US and Pakistan".
Why would that make a difference if the specification is met. More than
likely they have a very sophisticated, expensive computer controlled
machine, that is accurate and quick.
I took it that your stating where they were made meant you thought it
made a difference (to you or to the OP).
--
Robin
Chris Bacon
2021-10-06 16:54:51 UTC
Post by GB
I have my optical prescription, and I eventually found a frame that
works for me.
Rodenstock R2610C.
58-16-145
The snag is the optician wants £200 for the frames, and £350 for some
varifocal lenses.
I'd happily settle for something similar, with a good height for the
lenses of at least 40mm.
Or, better still, I'd buy the Rodenstock frames and lenses, but without
the obscene mark-up. There's nothing to justify that, as the optician
hasn't even done an eye test.
Anybody have any suggestions, please?
Poke about on the 'net. Stick your details into
https://www.edel-optics.co.uk/edel-optics/lensfinder/?iProduct=759662&fDistanceL=31.5&fDistanceR=31.5&sLenstype=singlevision&iProgressiveType=1&sShade=none
or similar. Look at well-known outlets to see if they gave anything you
like (e.g. Specsavers have a "try on" facility, where you take a photo
from yourcomputer or mobile device and it superimposes frames of your
choice onto the image.
Chris Bacon
That's funny. I replied, but cannot see my reply...
SH
you need to go to specsavers! :-)
Pamela
2021-10-07 18:26:19 UTC
Post by Chris Bacon
Post by GB
I have my optical prescription, and I eventually found a frame that
works for me.
Rodenstock R2610C.
58-16-145
The snag is the optician wants £200 for the frames, and £350 for
some varifocal lenses.
I'd happily settle for something similar, with a good height for
the lenses of at least 40mm.
Or, better still, I'd buy the Rodenstock frames and lenses, but
without the obscene mark-up. There's nothing to justify that, as
the optician hasn't even done an eye test.
Anybody have any suggestions, please?
That's funny. I replied, but cannot see my reply...
Why not use your newsreader properly and avoid posting through the
trolls' favourite server? Surely it isn't that hard.
Michael Chare
2021-10-06 17:57:52 UTC
Post by GB
I have my optical prescription, and I eventually found a frame that
works for me.
Rodenstock R2610C.
58-16-145
The snag is the optician wants £200 for the frames, and £350 for some
varifocal lenses.
I'd happily settle for something similar, with a good height for the
lenses of at least 40mm.
Or, better still, I'd buy the Rodenstock frames and lenses, but without
the obscene mark-up. There's nothing to justify that, as the optician
hasn't even done an eye test.
Anybody have any suggestions, please?
My glasses are Flexon Titanium. The frames will withstand bending and
can be bent back, and cost less than your £200, maybe about £135. The
lenses are a good brand of varifocals and were more like £500. I wish I
could remember the brand of the varifocals. I think the optician has to
cut the lenses to fit the frames, probably something that can quite
easily be got wrong, especially with varifocals.

I avoid Boots ever since they tried to fob be off with some lenses that
were wrong, by telling me that I would get used to them. At the time I
only wore glasses to drive my car.
Pancho
2021-10-07 10:41:50 UTC
Post by Michael Chare
Post by GB
I have my optical prescription, and I eventually found a frame that
works for me.
Rodenstock R2610C.
58-16-145
The snag is the optician wants £200 for the frames, and £350 for some
varifocal lenses.
I'd happily settle for something similar, with a good height for the
lenses of at least 40mm.
Or, better still, I'd buy the Rodenstock frames and lenses, but
without the obscene mark-up. There's nothing to justify that, as the
optician hasn't even done an eye test.
Anybody have any suggestions, please?
My glasses are Flexon Titanium. The frames will withstand bending and
can be bent back, and cost less than your £200, maybe about £135.
My Glasses frames are flexible titanium, rimless, no hinge, the frame
cost maybe £1.50, (i.e. used in £2.50 reading glasses from ebay).
Prescription glasses using exactly the same frame are £25.00, maybe
£35.00, post covid/china vat. (superdrug and then selectspecs)
Post by Michael Chare
The
lenses are a good brand of varifocals and were more like £500. I wish I
could remember the brand of the varifocals. I think the optician has to
cut the lenses to fit the frames, probably something that can quite
easily be got wrong, especially with varifocals.
I've never tried varifocals. I just buy loads of different cheap
prescription glasses, reading (multiple strengths), intermediate,
distance, but my eyes aren't that bad.
Post by Michael Chare
I avoid Boots ever since they tried to fob be off with some lenses that
were wrong, by telling me that I would get used to them. At the time I
only wore glasses to drive my car.
Boots gave me a bad prescription and then got shirty when I had a new
test and asked to see the prescription before the most recent one (the
bad one).
Pamela
2021-10-07 12:05:38 UTC
Post by Michael Chare
Post by GB
[...]
I struggle to understand how varifocals lenses can justify a cost of
£350, never mind £500. I accept there a tricky compromises in their
design and manufacture and I do understand the need to carefully match
them to the wearer ... but £500 for lenses alone?

Maybe you have a very unsual prescription, chosen absolute top end
custom-made lenses (such as Zeiss Smartlife), then added optional
features (like a Duravision Platinum coating) and used an optician who
charges handsomely for his time. I'm not saying you're not pleased
with the outcome but you seem to have gone into high end luxury with
diminished returns.

By total contrast, Asda do an extremely creditable set of varifocals
using quite decent coated lenses for £110 including a reasonable
frame. A tinted pair as sunglasses is an extra £70. Two sets of
decent varifocal specs for £180 is almost a giveaway. When your
presciption changes in a couple of years, throw them away and get new
ones.
Michael Chare
2021-10-07 15:11:35 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by Michael Chare
Post by GB
I have my optical prescription, and I eventually found a frame that
works for me.
Rodenstock R2610C.
58-16-145
The snag is the optician wants Ј200 for the frames, and ВЈ350 for
some varifocal lenses.
I'd happily settle for something similar, with a good height for
the lenses of at least 40mm.
Or, better still, I'd buy the Rodenstock frames and lenses, but
without the obscene mark-up. There's nothing to justify that, as
the optician hasn't even done an eye test.
Anybody have any suggestions, please?
My glasses are Flexon Titanium. The frames will withstand bending
and can be bent back, and cost less than your Ј200, maybe about
Ј135. The lenses are a good brand of varifocals and were more like
Ј500. I wish I could remember the brand of the varifocals. I think
the optician has to cut the lenses to fit the frames, probably
something that can quite easily be got wrong, especially with
varifocals.
I avoid Boots ever since they tried to fob be off with some lenses
that were wrong, by telling me that I would get used to them. At the
time I only wore glasses to drive my car.
I struggle to understand how varifocals lenses can justify a cost of
Ј350, never mind Ј500. I accept there a tricky compromises in their
design and manufacture and I do understand the need to carefully match
them to the wearer ... but Ј500 for lenses alone?
Maybe you have a very unsual prescription, chosen absolute top end
custom-made lenses (such as Zeiss Smartlife), then added optional
features (like a Duravision Platinum coating) and used an optician who
charges handsomely for his time. I'm not saying you're not pleased
with the outcome but you seem to have gone into high end luxury with
diminished returns.
By total contrast, Asda do an extremely creditable set of varifocals
using quite decent coated lenses for Ј110 including a reasonable
frame. A tinted pair as sunglasses is an extra Ј70. Two sets of
decent varifocal specs for Ј180 is almost a giveaway. When your
presciption changes in a couple of years, throw them away and get new
ones.
Well I have been looking at some of the websites and I could save quite
a bit of money by buying online. I just need to ask the optician to
print out the full details of my prescription.
newshound
2021-10-07 19:52:57 UTC
Post by Michael Chare
Post by Pamela
Post by Michael Chare
Post by GB
[...]
Inter-pupil distance is not part of the standard prescription, but it is
something that the glasses-assembler needs to know. I have never quite
had the confidence to order glasses "online".
Rod Speed
2021-10-07 20:33:56 UTC
Post by newshound
Post by Pamela
Post by Michael Chare
Post by GB
[...]
Its trivial to measure it yourself.
Post by newshound
I have never quite had the confidence to order glasses "online".
I have for a lot more than a decade now and its worked fine.

I have simple single focus lenses tho with no astigmatism.
Peeler
2021-10-07 20:56:26 UTC
On Fri, 8 Oct 2021 07:33:56 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Anonymous" to trolling senile Rodent Speed:
"You can fuck off as you know less than pig shit you sad
little ignorant cunt."
MID: <***@haph.org>
Michael Chare
2021-10-07 22:00:19 UTC
Post by newshound
Post by Michael Chare
Post by Pamela
Post by Michael Chare
Post by GB
[...]
Perhaps that is why one website was telling me how I should measure that
distance using a mirror and a tape measure. It has occured to me that
I will have to be very careful buying specs online as there are many
parameters to specify, and I want photochromic varifocal lenses which
make them expensive.
R D S
2021-10-12 10:38:04 UTC
Post by GB
The snag is the optician wants £200 for the frames, and £350 for some
varifocal lenses.
Anybody have any suggestions, please?
We have lenses ranging from (IIRC) £85 for a decent white label lens
made & coated by one of the big players up to frankly as much as you'd
like to spend.

IMO once you spend over roughly £150 quid for a pair of varifocals you
are pissing your money away but some (many?) people find expense and
branding reassuring.

Are you anywhere near Darwen, E Lancs?
charles
2021-10-12 11:19:26 UTC
Post by R D S
Post by GB
The snag is the optician wants £200 for the frames, and £350 for some
varifocal lenses.
Anybody have any suggestions, please?
We have lenses ranging from (IIRC) £85 for a decent white label lens
made & coated by one of the big players up to frankly as much as you'd
like to spend.
IMO once you spend over roughly £150 quid for a pair of varifocals you
are pissing your money away but some (many?) people find expense and
branding reassuring.
I bought a pair of varifocals from Sp........s for around that price. I got
contant headaches, because the varifocal bit was so narrow. I have just
paid considerably more for 2 pairs from Boots. They make glasses that I
can wear happily.

Of course, my eyes neeed astigmatic correction as well as focus.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
AnthonyL
2021-10-13 19:43:09 UTC
Post by charles
Post by R D S
Post by GB
The snag is the optician wants £200 for the frames, and £350 for some
varifocal lenses.
Anybody have any suggestions, please?
We have lenses ranging from (IIRC) £85 for a decent white label lens
made & coated by one of the big players up to frankly as much as you'd
like to spend.
IMO once you spend over roughly £150 quid for a pair of varifocals you
are pissing your money away but some (many?) people find expense and
branding reassuring.
I bought a pair of varifocals from Sp........s for around that price. I got
contant headaches, because the varifocal bit was so narrow. I have just
paid considerably more for 2 pairs from Boots. They make glasses that I
can wear happily.
Of course, my eyes neeed astigmatic correction as well as focus.
Thanks for the heads up. I also am astigmatic and had been going to
Boots for tests for years but buying my specs from ASDA and not
encountering the issue you have. But I've now, for various reasons,
booked my next test with Sp....s and will watch out if I decide to buy
the glasses from them.

I did buy some glasses when in Indonesia a few years ago as all their
optical outlets had prices much less than you can get here. However
the pair that gave me a +3 on the varifocal was just too vicious to
use (my wife prefering I wear small glasses didn't help). It was too
far to go to return them.
--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Dave Plowman (News)
2021-10-15 14:24:49 UTC
Post by AnthonyL
Thanks for the heads up. I also am astigmatic and had been going to
Boots for tests for years but buying my specs from ASDA and not
encountering the issue you have. But I've now, for various reasons,
booked my next test with Sp....s and will watch out if I decide to buy
the glasses from them.
I've worn gas permeable contact lenses for over 50 years. Optician I once
used got taken over and now silly prices. Being corrected for distance,
ready reads were fine for close work - at my age.

So went to Specsavers. Got some single strength glasses made up. Basic
frames. And their contact lenses cheap at £100 a pair.

But. Only after getting them did I find out they'd increased the power
-presumably as a compromise to make reading easier. And for driving I want
the distance to be sharp - not something closer. So close it makes passing
the driving test number plate reading marginal.

Did some tests with the variety of ready reads I've got here.

Best distance results with +2.50 (no contact lenses worn)

My current prescription +3.75.

My original, +2.2.

I also have an astigmatism that hard contact lenses all but sorts. Specs
obviously not, unless prescription.
--
*Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment *

Dave Plowman ***@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
GB
2021-10-12 12:17:26 UTC
Post by R D S
Post by GB
The snag is the optician wants £200 for the frames, and £350 for some
varifocal lenses.
Anybody have any suggestions, please?
We have lenses ranging from (IIRC) £85 for a decent white label lens
made & coated by one of the big players up to frankly as much as you'd
like to spend.
IMO once you spend over roughly £150 quid for a pair of varifocals you
are pissing your money away but some (many?) people find expense and
branding reassuring.
Are you anywhere near Darwen, E Lancs?
Sadly, no. Darwen is a fair old trip from London.

What's your website called, please?
R D S
2021-10-12 13:01:18 UTC
Post by GB
What's your website called, please?
https://www.onestopglasses.co.uk

(Shall I change the summer picture? :eyeroll: )

https://www.onestopglasses.co.uk/all-glasses/cheap-online-reglaze/full-rim-frame-reglaze

We actually do a decent vari for £60 now i'm looking but the £85 Atoric
Freeform one is one of the newer dual surface designs and is an earlier
generation of a much more expensive branded product that we get as a
white label product, it's as good as it needs to get.
R D S
2021-10-12 13:20:44 UTC
And this code will get you 20% offukdiy20
tim...
2021-10-13 11:01:59 UTC
Post by GB
The snag is the optician wants £200 for the frames, and £350 for some
varifocal lenses.
Anybody have any suggestions, please?
We have lenses ranging from (IIRC) £85 for a decent white label lens made
& coated by one of the big players up to frankly as much as you'd like to
spend.
IMO once you spend over roughly £150 quid for a pair of varifocals you are
pissing your money away but some (many?) people find expense and branding
reassuring.
It's more likely ignorance

If a professional tells you that option A is inferior to option B is
inferior to option C, who am I to tell otherwise

Unless someone is offering me a try before I buy for each option how can I
possibly know that the theoretical improvement is not noticeable in practice
charles
2021-10-13 11:24:27 UTC
Post by tim...
Post by R D S
Post by GB
The snag is the optician wants £200 for the frames, and £350 for some
varifocal lenses.
Anybody have any suggestions, please?
We have lenses ranging from (IIRC) £85 for a decent white label lens
made & coated by one of the big players up to frankly as much as you'd
like to spend.
IMO once you spend over roughly £150 quid for a pair of varifocals you
are pissing your money away but some (many?) people find expense and
branding reassuring.
It's more likely ignorance
If a professional tells you that option A is inferior to option B is
inferior to option C, who am I to tell otherwise
You can't . I had the expensive mistake of buying cheap varifocals. I
wasn't even offered a choice.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
tim...
2021-10-17 07:08:40 UTC
Post by charles
Post by tim...
Post by R D S
Post by GB
The snag is the optician wants £200 for the frames, and £350 for some
varifocal lenses.
Anybody have any suggestions, please?
We have lenses ranging from (IIRC) £85 for a decent white label lens
made & coated by one of the big players up to frankly as much as you'd
like to spend.
IMO once you spend over roughly £150 quid for a pair of varifocals you
are pissing your money away but some (many?) people find expense and
branding reassuring.
It's more likely ignorance
If a professional tells you that option A is inferior to option B is
inferior to option C, who am I to tell otherwise
You can't . I had the expensive mistake of buying cheap varifocals. I
wasn't even offered a choice.
I was

and I opted for the cheap ones

and with the buy one get one free offer, which I used to to get a pair with
standard lenses the experiment only cost me 30 pounds.

I found out that I don't get on with them and will never buy them again

And whilst people have tried to convince me that the more expensive ones are
easier to adapt to, no-one has ever offered me a "money back if you don't
like them" deal

Tim Streater
2021-10-13 11:10:57 UTC
Post by R D S
Post by GB
The snag is the optician wants £200 for the frames, and £350 for some
varifocal lenses.
Anybody have any suggestions, please?
We have lenses ranging from (IIRC) £85 for a decent white label lens
made & coated by one of the big players up to frankly as much as you'd
like to spend.
IMO once you spend over roughly £150 quid for a pair of varifocals you
are pissing your money away but some (many?) people find expense and
branding reassuring.
Depends, dunnit. My latest were quite expensive but they don't distort in the
lens corners anything like the previous ones. For something I use all day
every day, getting them right is worth it (this was after 2 x cataract
treatments).
Tim
charles
2021-10-13 13:46:58 UTC
Post by Tim Streater
Post by R D S
Post by GB
The snag is the optician wants £200 for the frames, and £350 for some
varifocal lenses.
Anybody have any suggestions, please?
We have lenses ranging from (IIRC) £85 for a decent white label lens
made & coated by one of the big players up to frankly as much as you'd
like to spend.
IMO once you spend over roughly £150 quid for a pair of varifocals you
are pissing your money away but some (many?) people find expense and
branding reassuring.
Depends, dunnit. My latest were quite expensive but they don't distort in
the lens corners anything like the previous ones. For something I use all
day every day, getting them right is worth it (this was after 2 x
cataract treatments).
I totally agree with your point - but I still have my own eye lenses.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Tim Streater
2021-10-13 14:45:36 UTC
Post by charles
Post by Tim Streater
Post by R D S
Post by GB
The snag is the optician wants £200 for the frames, and £350 for some
varifocal lenses.
Anybody have any suggestions, please?
We have lenses ranging from (IIRC) £85 for a decent white label lens
made & coated by one of the big players up to frankly as much as you'd
like to spend.
IMO once you spend over roughly £150 quid for a pair of varifocals you
are pissing your money away but some (many?) people find expense and
branding reassuring.
Depends, dunnit. My latest were quite expensive but they don't distort in
the lens corners anything like the previous ones. For something I use all
day every day, getting them right is worth it (this was after 2 x
cataract treatments).
I totally agree with your point - but I still have my own eye lenses.
I have eye lenses too. Just not the ones I was born with.
Tim
R D S
2021-10-13 14:47:47 UTC
Post by Tim Streater
Depends, dunnit. My latest were quite expensive but they don't distort in the
lens corners anything like the previous ones.
There are shit lenses, we can make a pair of varifocals for 4 quid
(that's with the benefit of us being manufacturers but if not you can
get a pair finished for roughly £12). We don't sell them in our own
place but we do supply them to opticians who want something as cheap as
humanly possible.

There is an sideways advantage to that of course, when folk get the crap
ones they are ripe for being sold upwards.

IME a pair of lenses retailing at £40/50 will work albeit be a bit naff,
£80/90much better, £120+ ish quite decent with the notable benefits
tailing off as the money goes up.