winterising 2 stroke engines
Add Reply
fred
2021-10-12 10:48:48 UTC
I've seen 3 suggestions.
1/ start and run the machine for a few minutes once a month during the layup season.

2/Use a fuel stabiliser.

3/ Run the machine to a stop a few times and use the starter bulb while doing so to ensure all fuel is flushed out of the system

No 2 would be the easiest. No 3 the most effective. No.1 a p.i.t.a.

Anyone any experiences of these .
Fredxx
Or use Easystart when the time comes to start it in the Spring?
Andrew
2021-10-12 11:07:38 UTC
Post by Fredxx
Post by fred
I've seen 3 suggestions.
1/ start and run the machine for a few minutes once a month during the layup season.
2/Use a  fuel stabiliser.
3/ Run the machine to a stop a few times and use the starter bulb
while doing so to ensure all fuel is flushed out of the system
No 2 would be the easiest. No 3 the most effective. No.1 a p.i.t.a.
Anyone any  experiences of these .
Or use Easystart when the time comes to start it in the Spring?
If the gasket and other bits in the carb has degraded by the ethanol
even that won't help.
fred
I didn't think the ethanol degraded the gaskets.I unsderstood the problem was caused by the ethanol etc evaporating and leaving a lac
fred
leaving a lacqur deposit clogging the internals of the cartb
Fredxx
2021-10-13 00:07:35 UTC
Post by Andrew
Post by Fredxx
Post by fred
I've seen 3 suggestions.
1/ start and run the machine for a few minutes once a month during the layup season.
2/Use a  fuel stabiliser.
3/ Run the machine to a stop a few times and use the starter bulb
while doing so to ensure all fuel is flushed out of the system
No 2 would be the easiest. No 3 the most effective. No.1 a p.i.t.a.
Anyone any  experiences of these .
Or use Easystart when the time comes to start it in the Spring?
If the gasket and other bits in the carb has degraded by the ethanol
even that won't help.
Then use Super Unleaded. Some of which is ethanol free:
https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol

"Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is
actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in
Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation
requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded
petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol,
which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps"
charles
2021-10-12 11:26:08 UTC
Post by Fredxx
I've seen 3 suggestions. 1/ start and run the machine for a few minutes
once a month during the layup season.
2/Use a fuel stabiliser.
3/ Run the machine to a stop a few times and use the starter bulb while
doing so to ensure all fuel is flushed out of the system
No 2 would be the easiest. No 3 the most effective. No.1 a p.i.t.a.
Anyone any experiences of these .
Or use Easystart when the time comes to start it in the Spring?
That worked perfectly with a lawnmower for me.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Andrew
https://www.nulon.com.au/products/aerosols/start-ya-bastard-instant-engine-starter
Rod Speed
2021-10-12 15:34:21 UTC
Post by Fredxx
Post by fred
I've seen 3 suggestions.
1/ start and run the machine for a few minutes once a month during the layup season.
2/Use a fuel stabiliser.
3/ Run the machine to a stop a few times and use the starter bulb while
doing so to ensure all fuel is flushed out of the system
No 2 would be the easiest. No 3 the most effective. No.1 a p.i.t.a.
Anyone any experiences of these .
Or use Easystart when the time comes to start it in the Spring?
Doesn’t help if the carb is gunked up with evaporated fuel residue
with a lawnmower which only has a gravity feed fuel system.
Peeler
2021-10-12 16:42:26 UTC
On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 02:34:21 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
MID: <f9056fe6-1479-40ff-8cc0-***@googlegroups.com>
Michael Chare
2021-10-12 12:56:41 UTC
Post by fred
I've seen 3 suggestions.
1/ start and run the machine for a few minutes once a month during the layup season.
2/Use a fuel stabiliser.
3/ Run the machine to a stop a few times and use the starter bulb while doing so to ensure all fuel is flushed out of the system
No 2 would be the easiest. No 3 the most effective. No.1 a p.i.t.a.
Anyone any experiences of these .
I have several such engines for gardening. I just run them out of fuel
as I do with my 4 stroke engines.
Dave Plowman (News)
2021-10-12 14:00:34 UTC
Post by Michael Chare
Post by fred
I've seen 3 suggestions.
1/ start and run the machine for a few minutes once a month during the layup season.
2/Use a fuel stabiliser.
3/ Run the machine to a stop a few times and use the starter bulb while doing so to ensure all fuel is flushed out of the system
No 2 would be the easiest. No 3 the most effective. No.1 a p.i.t.a.
Anyone any experiences of these .
I have several such engines for gardening. I just run them out of fuel
as I do with my 4 stroke engines.
Wonder how long before they are banned here - as it seems they are going
to be in CA.
--
*On the other hand, you have different fingers*

Dave Plowman ***@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Spike
2021-10-12 14:50:02 UTC
Post by fred
I've seen 3 suggestions.
1/ start and run the machine for a few minutes once a month during the layup season.
2/Use a fuel stabiliser.
3/ Run the machine to a stop a few times and use the starter bulb while doing so to ensure all fuel is flushed out of the system
No 2 would be the easiest. No 3 the most effective. No.1 a p.i.t.a.
Anyone any experiences of these .
On the last run before lay-up, turn off the fuel supply off and run the
engine until it stops, then turn the engine over to compression.

Ensure the fuel tank is full. Place a folded towel over the fuel filler
cap, as many folds as you can while leaving enough drape to ensure no
direct air passage to the filler cap,

Get an oily rag and stuff it into the exhaust pipe, leaving enough
showing so you won't forget it's there next Spring.

Cover the whole thing with a cotton cloth.
Spike
Rod Speed
2021-10-12 15:28:18 UTC
Post by fred
I've seen 3 suggestions.
1/ start and run the machine for a few minutes once a month during the layup season.
That wont fix the problem with the fuel evaporating
over the winter and the residue gumming up the carb.
Post by fred
2/Use a fuel stabiliser.
Neither will that.
Post by fred
3/ Run the machine to a stop a few times and use the starter bulb
while doing so to ensure all fuel is flushed out of the system
Plenty don’t have a starter bulb. But running out of fuel
does work and you don’t need to do it more than once.
Post by fred
No 2 would be the easiest. No 3 the most effective. No.1 a p.i.t.a.
Anyone any experiences of these .
I never bothered to do anything special at all and never
had a problem with it starting fine after the winter.

Seen plenty of stuff from garage sales that need the
carb cleaned before it will work tho. Those have usually
been left unused with fuel in them for a lot longer than
just one winter tho.
Peeler
2021-10-12 16:43:03 UTC
On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 02:28:18 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FredXX to Rodent Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
we shipped the likes of you out of the British Isles. Perhaps stupidity
and criminality is inherited after all?"
Post by fred
I've seen 3 suggestions.
1/ start and run the machine for a few minutes once a month during the layup season.
2/Use a fuel stabiliser.
3/ Run the machine to a stop a few times and use the starter bulb while doing so to ensure all fuel is flushed out of the system
No 2 would be the easiest. No 3 the most effective. No.1 a p.i.t.a.
Anyone any experiences of these .
4/ use aspen 2 for the last fill.

I'm not going to worry about it and will continue to use pump E10 for
the saws but I already use aspen in the hedgecutters because they use so
little and run nearer my face.
Thomas Prufer
2021-10-14 09:12:19 UTC
Post by AJH
4/ use aspen 2 for the last fill.
I'm not going to worry about it and will continue to use pump E10 for
the saws but I already use aspen in the hedgecutters because they use so
little and run nearer my face.
That's what I do.

I also have an old home maintenance book that suggests taking out the spark
plug, squirting in oil, and cranking it a few times before replacing the plug.

Never done that...

Thomas Prufer
newshound
2021-10-14 10:39:07 UTC
Post by Thomas Prufer
Post by AJH
4/ use aspen 2 for the last fill.
I'm not going to worry about it and will continue to use pump E10 for
the saws but I already use aspen in the hedgecutters because they use so
little and run nearer my face.
That's what I do.
I also have an old home maintenance book that suggests taking out the spark
plug, squirting in oil, and cranking it a few times before replacing the plug.
Never done that...
Thomas Prufer
IME modern lubricants have clever formulations that prevent significant
piston ring/bore corrosion over a season or two of inactivity. It's good
advice for anything you might be laying up for a while, though. Works
best if you are in traditional car/motorbike configuration with a
vertical cylinder, so that the oil settles in a nice ring all around the
piston / bore / rings.
fred
We used to do that with a V8 boat engine. ISTR Volvo recommended Redex. Taking the spark plugs out of a marinised V8 was a bastard of a job because of the water jacketing round the exhaust manifold.
Jonathan
I just leave them and they start again in the next year. Jonathan
mechanic
2021-10-15 10:49:10 UTC
Post by Jonathan
Post by fred
I've seen 3 suggestions.
1/ start and run the machine for a few minutes once a month during the layup season.
2/Use a fuel stabiliser.
3/ Run the machine to a stop a few times and use the starter bulb while doing so to ensure all fuel is flushed out of the system
No 2 would be the easiest. No 3 the most effective. No.1 a p.i.t.a.
Anyone any experiences of these .
I just leave them and they start again in the next year. Jonathan
Not much experience yet of over-wintering petrol engines using E10
fuel.
Rod Speed
But others who have had E10 for more than a decade now have.
Peeler
2021-10-15 18:46:00 UTC
On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 04:34:23 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
MID: <ev1p6ml7ywd5$***@sqwertz.com>