Boss White gone brown. Retrievable?
Add Reply
Another Dave
2022-01-10 11:51:30 UTC
I found some old Boss White plumbing joint sealant in the garage. I need
it for a leaky washing machine hose joint as a temporary fix. Rather
than go to a hardware shop, is it possible to squidge it back to
usefulness? The (brown) oil seems to have separated.

Incidentally Homepoint, B & Q and Homebase seem to be out of stock on a
lot of plumbing items. Is it just around here?

Another Dave
Change nospam to techie
Tricky Dicky
2022-01-10 13:30:45 UTC
Post by Another Dave
I found some old Boss White plumbing joint sealant in the garage. I need
it for a leaky washing machine hose joint as a temporary fix. Rather
than go to a hardware shop, is it possible to squidge it back to
usefulness? The (brown) oil seems to have separated.
Incidentally Homepoint, B & Q and Homebase seem to be out of stock on a
lot of plumbing items. Is it just around here?
Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie
I think I would dig deep into the can you may find it is “squidgy” further down you should not need much. However as it is a washing machine hose these have rubber washers at both ends flipping the washer over might just give you a watertight seal.

Richard
Ian Jackson
2022-01-10 16:04:05 UTC
Post by Tricky Dicky
Post by Another Dave
I found some old Boss White plumbing joint sealant in the garage. I need
it for a leaky washing machine hose joint as a temporary fix. Rather
than go to a hardware shop, is it possible to squidge it back to
usefulness? The (brown) oil seems to have separated.
Incidentally Homepoint, B & Q and Homebase seem to be out of stock on a
lot of plumbing items. Is it just around here?
Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie
I think I would dig deep into the can you may find it is “squidgy”
further down you should not need much. However as it is a washing
machine hose these have rubber washers at both ends flipping the washer
over might just give you a watertight seal.
It's only chalk and linseed oil (or similar). Just give it a bit of
re-mix (at least enough of it to do the job). However, I don't think it
will work very well with rubber hose.
Ian
Brian
2022-01-10 19:43:41 UTC
Post by Another Dave
I found some old Boss White plumbing joint sealant in the garage. I need
it for a leaky washing machine hose joint as a temporary fix. Rather
than go to a hardware shop, is it possible to squidge it back to
usefulness? The (brown) oil seems to have separated.
Incidentally Homepoint, B & Q and Homebase seem to be out of stock on a
lot of plumbing items. Is it just around here?
Another Dave
The brown oily liquid is traditionally linseed oil. It is mixed with an
hydrate of aluminium from memory which is like chalk. There used to be
different colours, blue, green white. While everyone used white I don’t
think it was intended for potable water. Fortunately it isn’t toxic. I
suspect, if you get enough in the pipe, you could maybe taste it until it
was flushed through.