USB storage for TV recording
Add Reply
RJH
2022-01-09 16:41:42 UTC
I'm currently using a 500GB portable 2.5" hard drive/caddy to record content
from my smart TV - works fine.

I'd like to use a solid state device instead. 'Normal' thumb drives don't work
- anybody any experience of something that does, preferably thumb drive type
form factor?
Cheers, Rob
PeterC
2022-01-09 17:13:02 UTC
Post by RJH
I'm currently using a 500GB portable 2.5" hard drive/caddy to record content
from my smart TV - works fine.
I'd like to use a solid state device instead. 'Normal' thumb drives don't work
- anybody any experience of something that does, preferably thumb drive type
form factor?
I've one in the Sammy but the recording is unreliable - recording the
lectures at Christmas as a series managed only one.
Can't remember the make of drive; it's 64GB and no longer made. You might be
better sticking with the HDD.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway
Chris Green
2022-01-09 17:15:57 UTC
Post by RJH
I'm currently using a 500GB portable 2.5" hard drive/caddy to record content
from my smart TV - works fine.
I'd like to use a solid state device instead. 'Normal' thumb drives don't work
- anybody any experience of something that does, preferably thumb drive type
form factor?
Presumably an SSD as opposed to a USB 'stick' would work as it will
appear to be a 'disk drive' as opposed to a 'memory stick'. You can
certainly get SSDs (well, things that call thenmselves SSDs) which are
pretty close in size and shape to a USB 'stick'.

Since they're actually basically the same technology it's all a bit
silly really, but how you *tell* whether something is really a 'disk
drive' as opposed to a 'memory stick' without buying it and trying it
I don't know. The USB memory stick market is rife with fake devices.
--
Chris Green
·
Brian Gaff (Sofa)
2022-01-10 16:18:21 UTC
Or minimal spec ones that cn be quite slow.
Try one from a well known make like Kingston. I'm sure a friend had one but
it was not cheap.
I myself do not like ssds that look like a chip, I had one on my
motherboard and it died from getting too hot.
·
Andrew
2022-01-10 20:54:53 UTC
Eh ?. not sure I understand. Do you mean an ?M2 SSD ?

Andrew
Brian
Richard
2022-01-09 17:44:07 UTC
Post by RJH
I'm currently using a 500GB portable 2.5" hard drive/caddy to record content
from my smart TV - works fine.
I'd like to use a solid state device instead. 'Normal' thumb drives don't work
- anybody any experience of something that does, preferably thumb drive type
form factor?
You don't say what make of TV.
I used a 64gb stick in our LG before upping to a portable drive.

Have you looked here:
https://www.whatsthebest.co.uk/tech/televisions/best-usb-stick-for-smart-tv/
RJH
2022-01-09 17:57:01 UTC
Post by Richard
Post by RJH
I'm currently using a 500GB portable 2.5" hard drive/caddy to record content
from my smart TV - works fine.
I'd like to use a solid state device instead. 'Normal' thumb drives don't work
- anybody any experience of something that does, preferably thumb drive type
form factor?
You don't say what make of TV.
I used a 64gb stick in our LG before upping to a portable drive.
It's a fairly recent LG OLED
Post by Richard
https://www.whatsthebest.co.uk/tech/televisions/best-usb-stick-for-smart-tv/
Thanks - looks useful.

I don't think it needs to be /that/ fast - the TV only has USB2 sockets so far
as I can tell (no mention in the manual and they're not blue, as I think USB
3s are). But as I say, USB sticks I've got don't work - just wondering if
anyone has used one successfully.
Cheers, Rob
Chris Green
2022-01-09 19:35:26 UTC
Post by RJH
Post by Richard
https://www.whatsthebest.co.uk/tech/televisions/best-usb-stick-for-smart-tv/
Thanks - looks useful.
I don't think it needs to be /that/ fast - the TV only has USB2 sockets so far
as I can tell (no mention in the manual and they're not blue, as I think USB
3s are). But as I say, USB sticks I've got don't work - just wondering if
anyone has used one successfully.
I don't think it's the speed, it's because a 'USB stick' presents to
the TV as something different from a 'USB disk drive'. The TV wants a
disk drive.
--
Chris Green
·
Harry Bloomfield Esq
2022-01-09 19:52:29 UTC
Post by RJH
I don't think it needs to be /that/ fast - the TV only has USB2 sockets so far
as I can tell (no mention in the manual and they're not blue, as I think USB
3s are). But as I say, USB sticks I've got don't work - just wondering if
anyone has used one successfully.
I have three LG's and tried USB sticke and no they don't work - I ended
up fitting 3x USB powered HDD drives, which works perfectly.
Paul
2022-01-09 22:27:01 UTC
Post by RJH
Post by Richard
https://www.whatsthebest.co.uk/tech/televisions/best-usb-stick-for-smart-tv/
Thanks - looks useful.
I don't think it needs to be /that/ fast - the TV only has USB2 sockets so far
as I can tell (no mention in the manual and they're not blue, as I think USB
3s are). But as I say, USB sticks I've got don't work - just wondering if
anyone has used one successfully.
The USB config space either indicates RMB=0 or RMB=1 . (Search for the
section with RMB in it, here.)

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbstick_e.html

That is the "Removable Media Bit".

USB used to be pretty consistent at one time, that they were
always removable.

But a few Sony sticks, started shipping with the RMB bit
set the other way. Thus the Sony could be mistaken
for a hard drive type device, behind a USB interface.

There's really no way to predict, what some manufacturer will do.
What they do, doesn't have to make sense.

*******

I would pair one of these...

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/512gb-samsung-860-pro-25-ssd-sata-iii-6gb-s-mjx-mlc-v-nand-512mb-cache-read-560mb-s-write-530mb-s-10

with one of these...

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/startech-usb-30-to-sata-hard-drive-adapter-cable-compatible-with-usb-30-20-compatible-with-sata-revi

That is what I use in the room here, for odd jobs.

I don't have any fancy TVs, so cannot comment on that aspect.

The purpose of my choice in this case, is to avoid storage
devices loaded with QLC flash memory. That SSD at least,
doesn't have QLC in it. It has a fairly decent TBW rating.

It's possible to get some AData NVMe devices, with a 12000 TBW
rating. They're intended for Chia farming, and have Micron
Enterprise flash chips on them. But if you stick one of those
in an adapter (an NVMe "tray"), there is a real good chance
they will draw too much power from the USB port on the TV
set. The TV set may be limited to 500mA at 5V. The 860 Pro,
when reading at 3MB/sec, is unlikely to draw quite that much.
But again, I don't have the USB power meter to make the
measurement. If I use a clamp-on meter and connect the SSD
via SATA to the PC, then the power can rise because it's
being read at 400MB/sec.

Part of the "selection job" then, is not to snag something
with excessive power consumption. Maybe an 850 Pro would
use slightly less power, but then there might not be any
stock of those, and the TBW is half of the 860 Pro.

TBW is Terabytes Write, a measure of 3000 writes per cell
or so.

While you can solve some power problems, by using a powered
USB hub between the TV set and the storage device... that's
a lot of "junk" for a living room setting. Nobody is going
to like your taste in hardware if you do that.

Paul
Paul
2022-01-09 23:18:41 UTC
Post by Paul
I would pair one of these...
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/512gb-samsung-860-pro-25-ssd-sata-iii-6gb-s-mjx-mlc-v-nand-512mb-cache-read-560mb-s-write-530mb-s-10
with one of these...
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/startech-usb-30-to-sata-hard-drive-adapter-cable-compatible-with-usb-30-20-compatible-with-sata-revi
This is what I see in Windows, for the various device types.
This used the "wmic diskdrive" command to generate a table of storage devices.

CapabilityDescriptions Caption
{"Random Access", "Supports Writing", "SMART Notification"} ST4000DM000-2AE166 <=== Internal SATA
{"Random Access", "Supports Writing"} ASMT 2115 SCSI Disk Device <=== Ext SSD on USB3 cable
{"Random Access", "Supports Writing", "Supports Removable Media"} SanDisk Extreme USB Device <=== Conventional 64GB USB3 stick

Paul
AnthonyL
2022-01-10 12:31:08 UTC
On Sun, 9 Jan 2022 17:44:07 +0000, Richard
Post by Richard
Post by RJH
I'm currently using a 500GB portable 2.5" hard drive/caddy to record content
from my smart TV - works fine.
I'd like to use a solid state device instead. 'Normal' thumb drives don't work
- anybody any experience of something that does, preferably thumb drive type
form factor?
You don't say what make of TV.
I used a 64gb stick in our LG before upping to a portable drive.
https://www.whatsthebest.co.uk/tech/televisions/best-usb-stick-for-smart-tv/
A stick was fine for recording on my LG but would not support pause
which I find a most valuable feature so have a portable HD instead
(spinning).

I'm not sure of the benefits of swapping to an SSD. Better utilised
to improve boot up times of Win10 etc IMHO.
--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Paul
2022-01-10 13:26:06 UTC
Post by Richard
Post by RJH
I'm currently using a 500GB portable 2.5" hard drive/caddy to record content
from my smart TV - works fine.
I'd like to use a solid state device instead. 'Normal' thumb drives don't work
- anybody any experience of something that does, preferably thumb drive type
form factor?
You don't say what make of TV.
I used a 64gb stick in our LG before upping to a portable drive.
https://www.whatsthebest.co.uk/tech/televisions/best-usb-stick-for-smart-tv/
A stick was fine for recording on my LG but would not support pause
which I find a most valuable feature so have a portable HD instead
(spinning).
I'm not sure of the benefits of swapping to an SSD. Better utilised
to improve boot up times of Win10 etc IMHO.
Positive - it doesn't care about shock and vibration, up to the
limits of any connectors used. Doesn't have a 1 ampere
spinup current requirement of a 2.5" hard drive.

Negative - Flash memory has limited write cycles. Might record
continuously for around ten years or so with an 860 Pro
before the 600TBW are exhausted.

Paul
The Natural Philosopher
2022-01-09 17:53:46 UTC
Post by RJH
I'm currently using a 500GB portable 2.5" hard drive/caddy to record content
from my smart TV - works fine.
I'd like to use a solid state device instead. 'Normal' thumb drives don't work
Why not?
Post by RJH
- anybody any experience of something that does, preferably thumb drive type
form factor?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-External-Capability-Laptops-Desktop/dp/B09NTLJTSN

they seem to exist.
WOKE is an acronym... Without Originality, Knowledge or Education.
The Natural Philosopher
2022-01-09 19:00:14 UTC
Post by The Natural Philosopher
Post by RJH
I'm currently using a 500GB portable 2.5" hard drive/caddy to record content
from my smart TV - works fine.
I'd like to use a solid state device instead. 'Normal' thumb drives don't work
Why not?
When I try to record to it, the TV returns an 'unsuitable device' message.
Post by RJH
- anybody any experience of something that does, preferably thumb drive type
form factor?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-External-Capability-Laptops-Desktop/dp/B09NTLJTSN
they seem to exist.
Yes, there are claims that they should. Not much actual in-use stories that I
can see.
And I have my doubts about the one linked - 10TB for £40?!
I thought it was 500GB for £40

MM,. probaly a memory staick
This is more believable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Netac-External-Portable-Storage-Compatible/dp/B08BHZ7TY2/
--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat
%
2022-01-09 19:07:32 UTC
Post by RJH
I'm currently using a 500GB portable 2.5" hard drive/caddy to record content
from my smart TV - works fine.
I'd like to use a solid state device instead. 'Normal' thumb drives don't work
Why not?
They mostly can't keep up with the higher write rate and
are lumpy about the write rate they can keep up with.
they seem to exist.
Peeler
2022-01-09 19:26:19 UTC
On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 06:07:32 +1100, %, better known as cantankerous trolling
senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote:

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
"Shit you're thick/pathetic excuse for a troll."
MID: <ogoa38$pul$***@news.mixmin.net>
Chris Green
2022-01-09 19:37:51 UTC
Post by RJH
I'm currently using a 500GB portable 2.5" hard drive/caddy to record content
from my smart TV - works fine.
I'd like to use a solid state device instead. 'Normal' thumb drives don't work
Why not?
When I try to record to it, the TV returns an 'unsuitable device' message.
Exactly! As I keep saying a 'USB stick' looks different in some way
from a 'USB drive' even though they are fundamentally the same thing.

So you need a device that presents itself as a 'USB drive' rather than
as 'USB memory'.
--
Chris Green
·
Theo
2022-01-09 20:34:35 UTC
Post by Chris Green
Exactly! As I keep saying a 'USB stick' looks different in some way
from a 'USB drive' even though they are fundamentally the same thing.
So you need a device that presents itself as a 'USB drive' rather than
as 'USB memory'.
I can think of three things that might be different:

The USB stick might present itself as 'removable' storage, while the HDD
doesn't. I'm a bit doubtful of that because the usual use of 'removable' is
CDs/DVDs, where you have a tray you can 'eject' to change the medium. That
doesn't apply to a USB stick, where you simply unplug the whole drive.

Also, I understand some TVs have minimum size limitations. A 32/64/128GB
USB drive might not work, while a 250/500/1000GB HDD does. The only way to
find out is to try a suitable large device. If you don't have one, I
suppose you could try an old 60GB or 120GB HDD in a USB caddy (if you have
such a thing) and see if it's accepted.

Finally, another thing is if the stick is strangely formatted/partitioned in
the way the TV doesn't like. I might try zapping the partition table and
making a single empty FAT32 partition on an MBR partition table, and then
asking the TV to reformat it. That way the TV is unlikely to be confused by
the Windows recovery partition or whatever was left on there before.

Theo
Paul
2022-01-09 23:06:13 UTC
Post by RJH
- anybody any experience of something that does, preferably thumb drive type
form factor?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-External-Capability-Laptops-Desktop/dp/B09NTLJTSN
they seem to exist.
Yes, there are claims that they should. Not much actual in-use stories that I
can see.
And I have my doubts about the one linked - 10TB for £40?!
There's nothing wrong with that advert.

That thing is an NVMe enclosure, with a USB to NVMe adapter chip inside.
The advert is telling you, that you could stick an NVMe module with
10TB of flash on it, in the enclosure. As if...

Since it has a USB-C connector, when connected to a real computer with
USB-C, there is likely to be enough power to run an NVMe module.

The NVMe module is a separate purchase.

As received, the adapter has no NVMe drive included.

NVMe adapter trays are available at 1000MB/sec and 2000MB/sec. When
operated with a Type A adapter cable, a 2000MB/sec one can only run
with one of its interfaces, and goes at 1000MB/sec. The 1000MB/sec
one only runs at 1000MB/sec if you "use a quality cable". I've
seen complaints about USB3.2 Gen2 not liking some cabling.

If you select something a little less "bleeding edge" than that,
who knows, maybe the power dissipation won't be 17 watts :-)

One of the dangers with things like USB2 ports on TV sets,
is there isn't enough power to run every USB toy you can think of.
The TV set could be quite gimped.

Paul
Andy Burns
2022-01-10 08:38:13 UTC
Post by Paul
There's nothing wrong with that advert.
It skates on very thin ice, IMO. Only once does the word "enclosure" appear in
the listing, yes from the price it's obvious it's *only* an exclosure, but the
advert is there to reel-in mugs.

Why have 10 prices according to the supposed capacity from 0.5TB to 16TB ?
charles
2022-01-10 09:35:53 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by Paul
There's nothing wrong with that advert.
It skates on very thin ice, IMO. Only once does the word "enclosure"
appear in the listing, yes from the price it's obvious it's *only* an
exclosure, but the advert is there to reel-in mugs.
In what way is it "solid state", just because it isn't made out of gas or liquid?
It doesn't have moving parts.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Tricky Dicky
2022-01-10 11:40:17 UTC
Just as an aside when we upgraded to SkyQ there were a number of recordings I had on the old HD box which it was not possible to copy over to the new box. I still have the old box and was wondering if I could remove the disk and copy the recordings to my PC. What I do not know is if the recordings are encoded and require a Sky card to access, I have posted on a Sky user site but did not get a helpful answer?

Richard
Paul
2022-01-10 14:39:55 UTC
Post by Tricky Dicky
Just as an aside when we upgraded to SkyQ there were a number of recordings I had on the old HD box which it was not possible to copy over to the new box. I still have the old box and was wondering if I could remove the disk and copy the recordings to my PC. What I do not know is if the recordings are encoded and require a Sky card to access, I have posted on a Sky user site but did not get a helpful answer?
Richard
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=549919

"When you record sky encrypted channels they are stored on the sky box
still encrypted and when you play them back on the sky box it used
your sky card to decrypt them. So if you were to cancel your sky
subsciption you would not be albe to watch movies you had previously
recorded. Likewise, if you move the files to a PC you would not
normally be able to watch them if they are encrypted as you need
your sky card to decode them. That's why people normally record
the output signal onto a PC etc and not the raw files as a
few [posts] have mentioned."

Paul
newshound
2022-01-09 20:41:26 UTC
Post by RJH
I'm currently using a 500GB portable 2.5" hard drive/caddy to record content
from my smart TV - works fine.
I'd like to use a solid state device instead. 'Normal' thumb drives don't work
- anybody any experience of something that does, preferably thumb drive type
form factor?
My Samsung needs a fast USB drive. It insists on testing it before
recording for the first time, but if it passes it is perfectly reliable.
alan_m
2022-01-09 21:27:13 UTC
Post by newshound
Post by RJH
I'm currently using a 500GB portable 2.5" hard drive/caddy to record content
from my smart TV - works fine.
I'd like to use a solid state device instead. 'Normal' thumb drives don't work
- anybody any experience of something that does, preferably thumb drive type
form factor?
My Samsung needs a fast USB drive. It insists on testing it before
recording for the first time, but if it passes it is perfectly reliable.
Just because a stick can be plugged into a usb2 or usb 3 port it doesn't
mean that the speed of the stick matches what the port is capable of
delivering.

Many PVRs HDDs are formatted to Ext3/4 rather than FAT32 etc.
The Natural Philosopher
2022-01-10 12:28:34 UTC
Post by newshound
Post by RJH
I'm currently using a 500GB portable 2.5" hard drive/caddy to record content
from my smart TV - works fine.
I'd like to use a solid state device instead. 'Normal' thumb drives don't work
- anybody any experience of something that does, preferably thumb drive type
form factor?
My Samsung needs a fast USB drive. It insists on testing it before
recording for the first time, but if it passes it is perfectly reliable.
Recording videos needs a fast drive. You are looking at something over
5Mbps minimum.

If this cannot be achieved then to avoid customer complaints its easier
to reject the drive.

You can generally get write speeds off manufacturer's web sites or test :-

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/test-read-and-write-speed-of-usb-flash-drives-with-usbdeview/
--
In a Time of Universal Deceit, Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act.

- George Orwell
Mike Rogers
2022-01-10 11:38:54 UTC
Post by RJH
I'm currently using a 500GB portable 2.5" hard drive/caddy to record content
from my smart TV - works fine.
I'd like to use a solid state device instead. 'Normal' thumb drives don't work
- anybody any experience of something that does, preferably thumb drive type
form factor?
I have a solid state drive in a caddy connected to my LG TV. It works
faultlessly.

Mike
The Natural Philosopher
2022-01-10 12:29:49 UTC
Post by Mike Rogers
Post by RJH
I'm currently using a 500GB portable 2.5" hard drive/caddy to record content
from my smart TV - works fine.
I'd like to use a solid state device instead. 'Normal' thumb drives don't work
- anybody any experience of something that does, preferably thumb drive type
form factor?
I have a solid state drive in a caddy connected to my LG TV. It works
faultlessly.
Mike
That's the Rolls Royce solution...
Climate Change: Socialism wearing a lab coat.
Brian Gaff (Sofa)
2022-01-10 16:15:19 UTC
I'm sure some of the more recent thumb drives will work if formatted
correctly.
It needs to be fast though.
Cheers, Rob
Brian
2022-01-10 19:55:55 UTC
Post by RJH
I'm currently using a 500GB portable 2.5" hard drive/caddy to record content
from my smart TV - works fine.
I'd like to use a solid state device instead. 'Normal' thumb drives don't work
- anybody any experience of something that does, preferably thumb drive type
form factor?
Is it a Samsung TV?

We have a Samsung Smart TV. It accepts a hard drive but, as I recall, not a
USB memory stick. I also discovered the file system it uses isn’t a common
/ normal one - ie a Windows or Linux or Mac system won’t even recognise it,
let alone read it. I wonder if USB sticks can only handle common file
systems. Perhaps Samsung use some technique the hardware can’t handle.
newshound
2022-01-10 20:01:43 UTC
Post by Brian
Post by RJH
I'm currently using a 500GB portable 2.5" hard drive/caddy to record content
from my smart TV - works fine.
I'd like to use a solid state device instead. 'Normal' thumb drives don't work
- anybody any experience of something that does, preferably thumb drive type
form factor?
Is it a Samsung TV?
We have a Samsung Smart TV. It accepts a hard drive but, as I recall, not a
USB memory stick. I also discovered the file system it uses isn’t a common
/ normal one - ie a Windows or Linux or Mac system won’t even recognise it,
let alone read it. I wonder if USB sticks can only handle common file
systems. Perhaps Samsung use some technique the hardware can’t handle.
Mine is a Samsung. If I put stills or video on my (fast) USB stick from
the computer, the TV displays them without complaint. It uses the same
drive to save "recordings" but IIRC you can't "see" them on a Windows
machine.
Robert
2022-01-10 21:17:35 UTC
Post by Brian
Post by RJH
I'm currently using a 500GB portable 2.5" hard drive/caddy to record content
from my smart TV - works fine.
I'd like to use a solid state device instead. 'Normal' thumb drives don't work
- anybody any experience of something that does, preferably thumb drive type
form factor?
Is it a Samsung TV?
We have a Samsung Smart TV. It accepts a hard drive but, as I recall, not a
USB memory stick. I also discovered the file system it uses isn’t a common
/ normal one - ie a Windows or Linux or Mac system won’t even recognise it,
let alone read it. I wonder if USB sticks can only handle common file
systems. Perhaps Samsung use some technique the hardware can’t handle.
I used Samsung 1 GB SSDs on my Samsung TV they worked but not 100%
reliable and both failed after about a year (within warranty tho') .
So gave up and bought a Humax box .
The Natural Philosopher
2022-01-10 21:54:22 UTC
Post by Brian
Post by RJH
[...]
I just have a TV dongle plugged into my server
--
“It is not the truth of Marxism that explains the willingness of
intellectuals to believe it, but the power that it confers on
Sir Roger Scruton
Brian
2022-01-11 13:04:36 UTC
Post by Robert
Post by Brian
Post by RJH
[...]
I use a conventional hard disk, one of those small 3.5” portable ones. I
don’t recall it ever failing. That said, as I can’t read the files via a
computer and therefore transfer to my media player, I tend to use one of
our other TVs which record in a format I can readily read / transfer.

I’ve also got a “VBox”, essentially a networked tuner / recorder. You can
access it via a computer, tablet, etc, watch and record TV. Mine is a
Freeview version but there was a Sat version available.