Jacket hood is too big and keeps falling
Add Reply
Simon Ferrol
2024-07-06 13:36:24 UTC
Is this still DIY?

I bought what looked like a great winter jacket at the local charity
shop for £5. Then I realised why the owner got rid of it: the hood is
disproportionately large and it keeps on falling, even I a wear a beanie
underneath. And my face is not exactly small!

There's no elastic, no other apparent way to pull the hoodie like in a
normal sports jacket.

I'd hate to bin it. The charity shop doesn't even want it back, they say
they have loads with the same problem.

Any sparkling ideas?

SF
GB
2024-07-06 13:45:46 UTC
Post by Simon Ferrol
Is this still DIY?
I bought what looked like a great winter jacket at the local charity
shop for £5. Then I realised why the owner got rid of it: the hood is
disproportionately large and it keeps on falling, even I a wear a beanie
underneath. And my face is not exactly small!
There's no elastic, no other apparent way to pull the hoodie like in a
normal sports jacket.
I'd hate to bin it. The charity shop doesn't even want it back, they say
they have loads with the same problem.
Any sparkling ideas?
Safety pin to make it smaller?
SF
JNugent
Or less unsightly, a few deft stitches in a matching thread colour?
Jeff Gaines
2024-07-06 14:58:38 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by GB
Post by Simon Ferrol
Is this still DIY?
I bought what looked like a great winter jacket at the local charity shop
for £5. Then I realised why the owner got rid of it: the hood is
disproportionately large and it keeps on falling, even I a wear a beanie
underneath. And my face is not exactly small!
There's no elastic, no other apparent way to pull the hoodie like in a
normal sports jacket.
I'd hate to bin it. The charity shop doesn't even want it back, they say
they have loads with the same problem.
Any sparkling ideas?
Safety pin to make it smaller?
Or less unsightly, a few deft stitches in a matching thread colour?
In his head or the jacket...
--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
640k ought to be enough for anyone.
(Bill Gates, 1981)
Smolley
Do you now how much Deft thread costs.?
Nick Odell
2024-07-06 19:09:19 UTC
On Sat, 6 Jul 2024 14:36:24 +0100, Simon Ferrol
Post by Simon Ferrol
Is this still DIY?
I bought what looked like a great winter jacket at the local charity
shop for £5. Then I realised why the owner got rid of it: the hood is
disproportionately large and it keeps on falling, even I a wear a beanie
underneath. And my face is not exactly small!
There's no elastic, no other apparent way to pull the hoodie like in a
normal sports jacket.
I'd hate to bin it. The charity shop doesn't even want it back, they say
they have loads with the same problem.
Any sparkling ideas?
If it doesn't already have a drawstring in the front hem, put a
drawstring in the front hem.

If it doesn't already have a front hem, put in a front hem then put in
a drawstring.

Nick
Andrew
2024-07-07 13:17:07 UTC
Post by Simon Ferrol
Is this still DIY?
I bought what looked like a great winter jacket at the local charity
shop for £5. Then I realised why the owner got rid of it: the hood is
disproportionately large and it keeps on falling, even I a wear a beanie
underneath. And my face is not exactly small!
There's no elastic, no other apparent way to pull the hoodie like in a
normal sports jacket.
I'd hate to bin it. The charity shop doesn't even want it back, they say
they have loads with the same problem.
Any sparkling ideas?
SF
Scarf over the outside. Either that or walk backwards into the
wind.
Jeff Layman
2024-07-08 10:31:15 UTC
Post by Simon Ferrol
Is this still DIY?
I bought what looked like a great winter jacket at the local charity
shop for £5. Then I realised why the owner got rid of it: the hood is
disproportionately large and it keeps on falling, even I a wear a beanie
underneath. And my face is not exactly small!
There's no elastic, no other apparent way to pull the hoodie like in a
normal sports jacket.
I'd hate to bin it. The charity shop doesn't even want it back, they say
they have loads with the same problem.
Any sparkling ideas?
Adhesive velcro to hold together the too-wide bit (neck end?). If it
works, a few stitches holding the velcro on would make it permanent.
Jeff
Clive Arthur
2024-07-08 11:30:44 UTC
Post by Simon Ferrol
Is this still DIY?
I bought what looked like a great winter jacket at the local charity
shop for £5. Then I realised why the owner got rid of it: the hood is
disproportionately large and it keeps on falling, even I a wear a beanie
underneath. And my face is not exactly small!
There's no elastic, no other apparent way to pull the hoodie like in a
normal sports jacket.
I'd hate to bin it. The charity shop doesn't even want it back, they say
they have loads with the same problem.
Any sparkling ideas?
SF
Next time you sneeze, keep your mouth closed and pinch your nose. Do
this a few times and your head will expand.
--
Cheers
Clive
Chris Hogg
2024-07-08 12:03:05 UTC
On Mon, 8 Jul 2024 12:30:44 +0100, Clive Arthur
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by Simon Ferrol
Is this still DIY?
I bought what looked like a great winter jacket at the local charity
shop for £5. Then I realised why the owner got rid of it: the hood is
disproportionately large and it keeps on falling, even I a wear a beanie
underneath. And my face is not exactly small!
There's no elastic, no other apparent way to pull the hoodie like in a
normal sports jacket.
I'd hate to bin it. The charity shop doesn't even want it back, they say
they have loads with the same problem.
Any sparkling ideas?
SF
Next time you sneeze, keep your mouth closed and pinch your nose. Do
this a few times and your head will expand.
Use ear-plugs otherwise you blow your brains out!
Chris
Chris Hogg
2024-07-08 12:00:50 UTC
Post by Simon Ferrol
Is this still DIY?
I bought what looked like a great winter jacket at the local charity
shop for £5. Then I realised why the owner got rid of it: the hood is
disproportionately large and it keeps on falling, even I a wear a beanie
underneath. And my face is not exactly small!
There's no elastic, no other apparent way to pull the hoodie like in a
normal sports jacket.
I'd hate to bin it. The charity shop doesn't even want it back, they say
they have loads with the same problem.
Any sparkling ideas?
SF
Turn the rim of the hood back as much as you feel is needed, pin it
and stitch it. If stitching is beyond your capabilities (I wouldn't
fancy doing it) and you don't have a wife/partner who can do it, use
some iron-on hemming tape such as
https://www.korbond.co.uk/20m-hemming-web
Easy to use - just pin it in place between the two surfaces to be
joined and iron away, removing the pins as you go. I've hemmed
curtains with it most successfully when I moved house and had to cut
my existing curtains down to size.
Chris
Marland
2024-07-09 16:25:53 UTC
Post by Simon Ferrol
[...]
What a faff , use an electric or air staple gun held against something hard
so the points bend over.
Job done in minutes.
If hasn’t got one then its an excuse to get one.

GH
Chris Hogg
2024-07-10 06:30:49 UTC
Post by Simon Ferrol
[...]
Even simpler, just use an ordinary office stapler, but are the staples
rust-proof?
Chris
nib
2024-07-10 07:01:04 UTC
Post by Chris Hogg
Post by Simon Ferrol
[...]
Would they last long enough to find out? I've tried office staples in
trying to mock up garments while experimenting with designs but they
pull out too easily! Safety pins are much better, but more tedious to
put in.

nib

Tim Streater
2024-07-08 12:02:03 UTC
Post by Simon Ferrol
I bought what looked like a great winter jacket at the local charity
shop for £5. Then I realised why the owner got rid of it: the hood is
disproportionately large and it keeps on falling, even I a wear a beanie
underneath. And my face is not exactly small!
By "falling" d'ye mean falling back off, or forwards over your eyes?
"... you must remember that if you're trying to propagate a creed of poverty, gentleness and tolerance, you need a very rich, powerful, authoritarian organisation to do it." - Vice-Pope Eric
Dave W
2024-07-08 19:20:09 UTC
Post by Simon Ferrol
Is this still DIY?
I bought what looked like a great winter jacket at the local charity
shop for £5. Then I realised why the owner got rid of it: the hood is
disproportionately large and it keeps on falling, even I a wear a beanie
underneath. And my face is not exactly small!
There's no elastic, no other apparent way to pull the hoodie like in a
normal sports jacket.
I'd hate to bin it. The charity shop doesn't even want it back, they say
they have loads with the same problem.
Any sparkling ideas?
SF
I've used a ski hat with a bobble on top fo a similar problem, to fill
the hood if your head's too s
Clive Arthur
2024-07-08 20:51:19 UTC
Post by Simon Ferrol
Is this still DIY?
I bought what looked like a great winter jacket at the local charity
shop for £5. Then I realised why the owner got rid of it: the hood is
disproportionately large and it keeps on falling, even I a wear a beanie
underneath. And my face is not exactly small!
There's no elastic, no other apparent way to pull the hoodie like in a
normal sports jacket.
I'd hate to bin it. The charity shop doesn't even want it back, they say
they have loads with the same problem.
Any sparkling ideas?
SF
Grow an afro. Maybe that's what it was designed for?
--
Cheers
Clive