Looking for dual thread bolt with different sized ends
Add Reply
Commander Kinsey
2022-01-09 15:57:14 UTC
Where can I get a dual thread bolt with different widths on each end?
Like this, but a smaller thread on one end.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363092309100
Commander Kinsey
2022-01-09 16:38:19 UTC
Post by Commander Kinsey
Where can I get a dual thread bolt with different widths on each end?
Like this, but a smaller thread on one end.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363092309100
Never seen anything like that. Does the maximum diameter have to be that
of the larger thread? If the size difference is large enough, then drill
out the larger one using a lathe, tap to the smaller size, and fit studding.
If the size difference is small, turn down a bolt or length of larger
studding and put a thread on that with a die.
I came up with a better idea. I have a drain rod similar to this. Specifically the spiral sharp thing:

I placed a normal hex-ended bolt into it, then a socket bit that goes on my power drill.
I now have a device for rapidly loosening clay soil.
rbowman
2022-01-09 16:45:35 UTC
Post by Commander Kinsey
Where can I get a dual thread bolt with different widths on each end?
Like this, but a smaller thread on one end.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363092309100
It would help to know the application.

https://www.mcmaster.com/double-end-bolts/inch-to-inch-male-hex-thread-adapters/

I've seen them used in specialized applications like manifold studs.
Peeler
2022-01-09 17:39:36 UTC
On Sun, 9 Jan 2022 09:45:35 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,
Post by rbowman
It would help to know the application.
You STILL haven't learned your lesson, my senile punching bag? OK, I'll step
up my special treatment I reserve for sick assholes like you again! Watch
out! <G>
--
More typical idiotic senile gossip by lowbrowwoman:
"It's been years since I've been in a fast food burger joint but I used
MID: <***@mid.individual.net>
Snag
2022-01-11 01:03:31 UTC
Post by rbowman
Post by Commander Kinsey
Where can I get a dual thread bolt with different widths on each end?
Like this, but a smaller thread on one end.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363092309100
It would help to know the application.
https://www.mcmaster.com/double-end-bolts/inch-to-inch-male-hex-thread-adapters/
I've seen them used in specialized applications like manifold studs.
Pre-war Harley 2 stud 3 speed trannies used a stepped mounting stud .
Got a '39 and a '40 out case in the shed for a rebuild project . Not
enough of the original bike left to call it a restoration .
--
Snag
Let's Go Brandon !
Peeler
2022-01-09 17:36:20 UTC
On Sun, 9 Jan 2022 16:04:04 +0000, newshound, yet another troll-feeding
Never seen anything like that.
You mean a senile asshole like you with it's thick senile head up a troll's
arse every day? I can see it here every day! <BG>
wasbit
2022-01-10 10:09:40 UTC
Post by Commander Kinsey
Where can I get a dual thread bolt with different widths on each end?
Like this, but a smaller thread on one end.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363092309100
Never seen anything like that. Does the maximum diameter have to be that
of the larger thread? If the size difference is large enough, then drill
out the larger one using a lathe, tap to the smaller size, and fit
studding.
If the size difference is small, turn down a bolt or length of larger
studding and put a thread on that with a die.
The same seller does them in various metric sizes.
--
Regards
wasbit
Paul
2022-01-10 13:03:14 UTC
Post by wasbit
Post by Commander Kinsey
Where can I get a dual thread bolt with different widths on each end?
Like this, but a smaller thread on one end.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363092309100
Never seen anything like that. Does the maximum diameter have to be that of the larger thread? If the size difference is large enough, then drill out the larger one using a lathe, tap to the smaller size, and fit studding.
If the size difference is small, turn down a bolt or length of larger studding and put a thread on that with a die.
The same seller does them in various metric sizes.
You can also make things on a thread cutting lathe.

To be able to use the shop in University, we had to
take a short course on using all the machines. This item
is a part of a larger project, and thread cutting is
involved for this part.

[Picture]

The feature on the end, the flat bit, you would
saw that off if wishing for a different end finish.
That probably fit in some holder thingy on the lathe.
The work needs to be supported on both ends, so the
work doesn't deflect when the cutting tool presses
against it.

Any machine shop worth its salt, should have a thread cutter.

There's more to cutting threads than what little I learned,
but at least I had fun. And the item I made, still works.

The thread in this case, is done with a bladed cutting tool.
And it takes multiple passes, to make the thread. Your thread
isn't ready after just one pass.

Paul
Commander Kinsey
2022-01-10 17:00:12 UTC
Post by wasbit
Post by Commander Kinsey
Where can I get a dual thread bolt with different widths on each end?
Like this, but a smaller thread on one end.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363092309100
Never seen anything like that. Does the maximum diameter have to be that
of the larger thread? If the size difference is large enough, then drill
out the larger one using a lathe, tap to the smaller size, and fit
studding.
If the size difference is small, turn down a bolt or length of larger
studding and put a thread on that with a die.
The same seller does them in various metric sizes.
ROFL! This question was just removed from Quora for "disobeying policies" - didn't tell me which one. I'm guessing a link to an Ebay listing to explain what I'm after is called advertising?