In-fireplace radiator
Add Reply
Clive Arthur
2022-01-09 13:39:01 UTC
In our new (old) house, there's a log burner in one room, the others
having normal gas CH radiators.

It sits in front of a fireplace on the hearth. The fireplace is little
more than a cuboid opening in the chimney breast with the flue going in
to the back of the burner.

We haven't used it and don't really want to. Altering the fireplace
would be very difficult.

I envisage losing the log burner and plumbing in a radiator in the
fireplace cavity. It would have to be short and deep to fit the cavity,
but could have quite a large surface area. Maybe it would need a fan.

Trouble is, I can't see anything suitable, which may just mean it's a
bad idea.

Anyone done this?
--
Cheers
Clive
Chris Hogg
2022-01-09 13:50:28 UTC
On Sun, 9 Jan 2022 13:39:01 +0000, Clive Arthur
Post by Clive Arthur
In our new (old) house, there's a log burner in one room, the others
having normal gas CH radiators.
It sits in front of a fireplace on the hearth. The fireplace is little
more than a cuboid opening in the chimney breast with the flue going in
to the back of the burner.
We haven't used it and don't really want to. Altering the fireplace
would be very difficult.
I envisage losing the log burner and plumbing in a radiator in the
fireplace cavity. It would have to be short and deep to fit the cavity,
but could have quite a large surface area. Maybe it would need a fan.
Trouble is, I can't see anything suitable, which may just mean it's a
bad idea.
Anyone done this?
Would this be any good? Says it's 350 x 62 (top RH corner, size HxW,
choose an option; there is only the one),I presume cm but it doesn't
say. https://www.designerradiatorsdirect.co.uk/paladin-churchill Or
this one, with more size options
https://www.designerradiatorsdirect.co.uk/paladin-oxford
Chris
Tim+
2022-01-09 14:24:50 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
In our new (old) house, there's a log burner in one room, the others
having normal gas CH radiators.
It sits in front of a fireplace on the hearth. The fireplace is little
more than a cuboid opening in the chimney breast with the flue going in
to the back of the burner.
We haven't used it and don't really want to. Altering the fireplace
would be very difficult.
Buy yourself a chainsaw and learn to love the log burner.

With the price of gas and electricity these days gleaning your own firewood
can be very satisfying. ;-)

Isn’t there anywhere else a radiator could go in the room? That way you
could heat it with your CH and still have the log burner if you change your
mind. Can’t help thinking that a CH radiator in a fireplace is gonna look
rather weird.

Tim
Please don't feed the trolls
David
2022-01-09 21:58:55 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
In our new (old) house, there's a log burner in one room, the others
having normal gas CH radiators.
It sits in front of a fireplace on the hearth. The fireplace is little
more than a cuboid opening in the chimney breast with the flue going in
to the back of the burner.
We haven't used it and don't really want to. Altering the fireplace
would be very difficult.
I envisage losing the log burner and plumbing in a radiator in the
fireplace cavity. It would have to be short and deep to fit the cavity,
but could have quite a large surface area. Maybe it would need a fan.
Trouble is, I can't see anything suitable, which may just mean it's a
bad idea.
Anyone done this?
Wouldn't you lose a lot of effectiveness?

I know they are called radiators but I think that they do a lot of the
heating by convection and siting a radiator inside the fireplace would
possibly limit this.

Given the number of fireplaces without fires, I expect that if this was a
good idea, as you suggest, there would already be plenty of options.

Cheers

Dave R
Mike Rogers
2022-01-10 11:47:01 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
In our new (old) house, there's a log burner in one room, the others
having normal gas CH radiators.
It sits in front of a fireplace on the hearth.  The fireplace is little
more than a cuboid opening in the chimney breast with the flue going in
to the back of the burner.
We haven't used it and don't really want to.  Altering the fireplace
would be very difficult.
I envisage losing the log burner and plumbing in a radiator in the
fireplace cavity.  It would have to be short and deep to fit the cavity,
but could have quite a large surface area. Maybe it would need a fan.
Trouble is, I can't see anything suitable, which may just mean it's a
bad idea.
Anyone done this?
What about a kick space type fan heater running off your current central
heating system. We had one in the kitchen of our last home which was
very effective.

https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/myson-kickspace-600-hydronic-plinth-heater-with-grille-1303-1261278?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=GB&utm_campaign=GoogleBase&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6-DImI6n9QIV2O7tCh38eABkEAQYBSABEgIRcvD_BwE

Mike
Jim White
2022-01-10 15:56:27 UTC
Post by Mike Rogers
Post by Clive Arthur
[...]
Smiths Hydroflame:
http://www.plumbdepot.co.uk/product/3070/smiths-hydroflame-
classic-free-standing-fire-radiator-brass

Works well, and they do an inset version. Also Chrome
available.

HTH
Brian Gaff (Sofa)
2022-01-10 16:01:22 UTC
Won't all the heat go up the chimney?

The top of the fireplace would get very hot, so whatever you block it up
with needs to be well bonded or the stuff will come off.