Torbeck valve dripping at anti-syphon assembly
Add Reply
Lobster
2022-01-09 20:10:48 UTC
I've just had to replace a faulty filling valve in a toilet cistern; as I happened to have a spare unused Torbeck valve 'in stock' (purchased about 10 years ago I reckon, stored in its original wrapping) I thought I might as well use that.

All went fine, except that when the valve is open, filling the cistern, water drips profusely from the top (ie, at the anti-syphon assembly) as well as running down the filler tube as it should. It does seem to shut off OK when the valve closes, but there's clearly some problem and I don't want to mentally 'sign off' on this and then find the house flooded in a few months time when the valve blows completely!

I googled a bit and found this thread on DIYNOT, which looks just the same problem:
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/torbeck-bottom-entry-toilet-valve-leaking.401306/#post-3239661

The response in post #11 - from someone else with the same problem - looked helpful and relevant, so I followed that advice, but it hasn't helped: "Following on from my earlier post I spent a few mins thinking about the problem, and I guessed that inside the T Piece, which as you stated is an Anti Syphon Device, there would be a valve that would block off the exit through the square holes and direct the water down the filler tube.
Anyway today I was able to get back to it and after removing the T Piece I was able to quite easily remove the pressed in End Cap with the Square Holes, inside the T will then be found a Rubber Flap Valve which can be tapped/slid out. When correctly fitted it should be held by being nipped by the End Cap and to help it you will see that there is a locating notch in the Rubber and a corresponding peg in the End Cap which positions it correctly. In my valve there appeared to be nothing broken, the Flap Valve had worked its way out from under the End Cap and made its way over so that it was partly blocking the Filler Exit. I cleaned up everything and reassembled it and its now working just fine."

Is there anybody familiar with these devices who can guess what's wrong, before I go and rip it out in favour of a new FluidMaster?

Thanks
David
Bob Eager
2022-01-09 21:25:26 UTC
Post by Lobster
[...]
I've had the same problem, and it was nothing more than a badly fitting
(or misaligned) washer (the large seal where the body of the valve fits
into the housing, and is then help in place by the large plastic ring).
And sometimes the plastic rung has to be tightened more than you'd expect/
like.
Lobster
2022-01-11 16:51:16 UTC
Post by Bob Eager
Post by Lobster
[...]
Well my Torbeck certainly had no washer between the anti-syphon assembly and the main body; just mating polypropylene surfaces. It certainly looks to me as if there should be something in there, but I'm confident that there never has been. Weird. Anyway, I've binned the thing as inherently untrustworthy and fitted a Vivo Skylo valve instead (https://www.vivasanitary.co.uk/media/2053829/PP0020B.pdf) which is working fine.

That said... included in the instructions pouch was a small plastic component which isn't mentioned anywhere, or on the manusfacturer's website: https://imgur.com/a/M2NS0Wd
Looks to me like it might be a flow restrictor? However the 0.5" input pipe is occluded by a filter so not sure... Does this look familiar to anyone? (have emailed the manufacturer but won't be holding my breath)

David
Jim GM4DHJ ...
The roads must roll ...
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2022-01-10 09:03:34 UTC
Post by Lobster
[...]
Torbeck valves work by magic and shouldn't be repaired only replaced ......
The roads must roll ...
wasbit
2022-01-10 10:35:08 UTC
Post by Lobster
[...]
I've just had the same problem with a brand new side entry Torbeck valve.
Took it apart & couldn't see any problem . Reinstalled it but it still
leaked so installed the original ball valve after a clean up.
--
Regards
wasbit