Air vent.
Chris Bacon
2021-09-15 17:03:29 UTC
Do you think this sort of thing:

https://peaseofgarforth.co.uk/product/map-229mm-x-229mm-brown-louvre-wall-mounted-vent

is suitable for vents in the gable ends of my new workshop? Two on the
outside of each end, about 2300mm off the ground, the rest of the gable
end being covered in timber matching. As they are not very deep (8mm?)
I'm worried about windblown rain getting through, which I don't want...
GB
2021-09-15 17:10:00 UTC
Post by Chris Bacon
https://peaseofgarforth.co.uk/product/map-229mm-x-229mm-brown-louvre-wall-mounted-vent
is suitable for vents in the gable ends of my new workshop? Two on the
outside of each end, about 2300mm off the ground, the rest of the gable
end being covered in timber matching. As they are not very deep (8mm?)
I'm worried about windblown rain getting through, which I don't want...
I take it that there's no roof overhang on these gable ends. In which
case, you're right to be worried. Those will let the rain in.
GB
2021-09-15 17:13:07 UTC
Post by GB
Post by Chris Bacon
https://peaseofgarforth.co.uk/product/map-229mm-x-229mm-brown-louvre-wall-mounted-vent
is suitable for vents in the gable ends of my new workshop? Two on the
outside of each end, about 2300mm off the ground, the rest of the
gable end being covered in timber matching. As they are not very deep
(8mm?) I'm worried about windblown rain getting through, which I don't
want...
I take it that there's no roof overhang on these gable ends. In which
case, you're right to be worried. Those will let the rain in.
You could stick one of these on top of the grille, but it will reduce
the airflow:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Terracotta-Hooded-Bricks-Grilles-Extractors/dp/B00GOVP7UC/
ARW
2021-09-15 17:34:27 UTC
Post by GB
Post by GB
Post by Chris Bacon
https://peaseofgarforth.co.uk/product/map-229mm-x-229mm-brown-louvre-wall-mounted-vent
is suitable for vents in the gable ends of my new workshop? Two on
the outside of each end, about 2300mm off the ground, the rest of the
gable end being covered in timber matching. As they are not very deep
(8mm?) I'm worried about windblown rain getting through, which I
don't want...
I take it that there's no roof overhang on these gable ends. In which
case, you're right to be worried. Those will let the rain in.
You could stick one of these on top of the grille, but it will reduce
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Terracotta-Hooded-Bricks-Grilles-Extractors/dp/B00GOVP7UC/
Or maybe one of those over just a fly screen. There is no need for the
grille if using a cowl but you need to stop the critters coming in.

Adam
nightjar
2021-09-15 19:37:23 UTC
Post by ARW
Post by GB
Post by GB
Post by Chris Bacon
https://peaseofgarforth.co.uk/product/map-229mm-x-229mm-brown-louvre-wall-mounted-vent
is suitable for vents in the gable ends of my new workshop? Two on
the outside of each end, about 2300mm off the ground, the rest of
the gable end being covered in timber matching. As they are not very
deep (8mm?) I'm worried about windblown rain getting through, which
I don't want...
I take it that there's no roof overhang on these gable ends. In which
case, you're right to be worried. Those will let the rain in.
You could stick one of these on top of the grille, but it will reduce
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Terracotta-Hooded-Bricks-Grilles-Extractors/dp/B00GOVP7UC/
Will it though? The insect mesh should have only have about 40% of its
area as open holes, so the open end of the cover only needs to be 40% of
the area of the grille to give a full flow of air.
Post by ARW
Or maybe one of those over just a fly screen. There is no need for the
grille if using a cowl but you need to stop the critters coming in.
The advantage of the grill is that it gives you an easy way to mount the
insect mesh to the wall.
Colin Bignell
Chris Bacon
2021-09-16 08:53:26 UTC
Post by GB
Post by GB
Post by Chris Bacon
https://peaseofgarforth.co.uk/product/map-229mm-x-229mm-brown-louvre-wall-mounted-vent
is suitable for vents in the gable ends of my new workshop? Two on
the outside of each end, about 2300mm off the ground, the rest of the
gable end being covered in timber matching. As they are not very deep
(8mm?) I'm worried about windblown rain getting through, which I
don't want...
I take it that there's no roof overhang on these gable ends. In which
case, you're right to be worried. Those will let the rain in.
You could stick one of these on top of the grille, but it will reduce
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Terracotta-Hooded-Bricks-Grilles-Extractors/dp/B00GOVP7UC/
I'm a bit undecided on this one. It's a corrugated roof, so I wanted to
uencourage airflow to prevent condensation. However, if I leave off th
foam fillers, which I am very tempted to do, there will be a good deal
of air flow from the eaves and ridge. I'm putting a piece of DPM over
the ceiling (plasterboard) with insulation over that, anyway.
Robin
2021-09-16 09:06:11 UTC
On 16/09/2021 09:53, Chris Bacon wrote:

<snip>
Post by Chris Bacon
I'm a bit undecided on this one. It's a corrugated roof, so I wanted to
uencourage airflow to prevent condensation. However, if I leave off th
foam fillers, which I am very tempted to do, there will be a good deal
of air flow from the eaves and ridge.
without foam fillers do you expect any animal visitors/residents?
--
Robin
Chris Bacon
2021-09-16 09:59:37 UTC
Post by Robin
Post by Chris Bacon
I'm a bit undecided on this one. It's a corrugated roof, so I wanted
to uencourage airflow to prevent condensation. However, if I leave off
th foam fillers, which I am very tempted to do, there will be a good
deal of air flow from the eaves and ridge.
without foam fillers do you expect any animal visitors/residents?
Doubt it. Maybe the odd wasp's nest, but they are easy to deal with if
need be.

Chris Bacon
2021-09-16 08:22:37 UTC
Post by GB
Post by Chris Bacon
https://peaseofgarforth.co.uk/product/map-229mm-x-229mm-brown-louvre-wall-mounted-vent
is suitable for vents in the gable ends of my new workshop? Two on the
outside of each end, about 2300mm off the ground, the rest of the
gable end being covered in timber matching. As they are not very deep
(8mm?) I'm worried about windblown rain getting through, which I don't
want...
I take it that there's no roof overhang on these gable ends. In which
case, you're right to be worried. Those will let the rain in.
About 50mm/2" overhang, the gable trims (flashings) of the corrugated
roof will partially cover the louvres (leaving a gap of say 40mm/1 1/2")...