WiFi in the field
Bill
2014-11-24 20:55:19 UTC
Her indoors and her sister were shopping in M&S today and taking the
usual number of hours.
I had an Android tablet with me so I had a look at what wifi I could
"see".
The various SSID's included M&S itself, which I've seen before and that
I think I gave up on when it started asking personal questions to get
beyond the adverts, and "The Cloud", which says it is a free service
from Sky.

I fired up a browser which said "beware, its security certificate is
invalid", so I listened to R4 instead.

Back home I've looked at the Cloud website (which says to always check
the security certificate when you connect), and it isn't clear whether
or not it requires your credit card details before you can access the
free hotspots ( some charge, apparently).

Does anyone here use this and have any views? It might help me while
away the sitting outside supermarket hours.
Bill
polygonum
2014-11-24 21:11:35 UTC
Post by Bill
[...]
It was partly because of wifi hotspot providers like the cloud that I
almost totally gave up on them. Used to find that I'd be hopping from
one to another and that was causing real problems like you describe.

Changed my mobile package from something like 500 MB to unlimited, saved
a few pounds a month. Now only use hotspots if I have to. Even listen to
the radio over the internet rather than FM. Actually quite often provide
my own wifi hotspot to my Nexus tablet and partner's ipad as well...
Rod
fred
2014-11-24 21:18:07 UTC
Post by Bill
[...]
The Cloud used to be a source of 'free' wifi in pubs and such with the
necessary equipment stuffed in the back of slot machines IIRC,
presumably as they could relied upon to never be switched off. Half the
time it didn't work and the staff in the establishment just shrugged and
said, "nuffin to do wif(i) us" (after taking the money for your drink).

AIUI they've now migrated into other types of establishment, McDonalds I
think plus others now use TC.

In all respects they have gone downhill as they are no longer offer free
access. They might argue otherwise as all you need to do is register and
then use that registration to login every time you use TC but I view
registering with some dodgy data mining outfit to be a very serious
debit against my personal privacy account so not free at all.

Others may know more, I'd run a mile.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Theo Markettos
2014-11-24 22:06:39 UTC
Post by fred
In all respects they have gone downhill as they are no longer offer free
access. They might argue otherwise as all you need to do is register and
then use that registration to login every time you use TC but I view
registering with some dodgy data mining outfit to be a very serious
debit against my personal privacy account so not free at all.
I wonder, perhaps the data they receive from people in pubs might not be
entirely accurate...

Yours,
Mr Adjfkshsrw Rsjnkfhseiuhwi
a***@gmail.com
I use 'The Cloud' a fair bit in pubs and shops; no need for credit card details or anything. Signed up with a disposable Gmail address and that was that.
Mark Carver
2014-11-25 08:30:46 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
I use 'The Cloud' a fair bit in pubs and shops; no need for credit card details or anything. Signed up with a disposable Gmail address and that was that.
Likewise, I signed up 14 months ago, never had a problem, or even a
single email that I'm aware of. My phone connects automagically to it,
whenever it's detected. Even in Sweden and Amsterdam. I've also got O2
WiFi, much the same, (I'm neither a Sky or O2 customer BTW)
--
Mark
Capitol
2014-11-24 21:21:26 UTC
Post by Bill
[...]
Tesco requires someones(anyones!) clubcard number to register, but
their wifi is very reasonable IME. I have largely given up on "free
wifi" in the UK as it is always bedevilled with requests for personal
information which I wont give. I find Starbucks, Panera and some
hotels/restaurants/airports in the US very usable, the UK is almost a
total failure. I just use a dual sim payg phone with the 3 network if I
need data in the UK whilst traveling. (£10 per 1G, non expiring)
Chris French
2014-11-24 22:06:27 UTC
Post by Capitol
Post by Bill
[...]
You don't have to give it *your* personal info.

If it was to ask for personal info I'd just give duff info. But they
don't seem to actually ask for much. I use a disposable gmail
address,but only really cos then if I want to log in again I can, I
don't think I've ever had any unexpected email to that account

I've used The Cloud in a number of places free , no need for CC info
Chris French
Dave Liquorice
2014-11-25 17:08:08 UTC
Post by Chris French
Post by Capitol
Tesco requires someones(anyones!) clubcard number to register, but
their wifi is very reasonable IME.
One of the few free "public" WiFi access I use. Mainly when there is
a bit of tech on the clearance shelf and I want to know a bit more
about it before parting with my cash.
Post by Chris French
Post by Capitol
I have largely given up on "free wifi" in the UK as it is always
bedevilled with requests for personal nformation which I wont
give.
Post by Chris French
If it was to ask for personal info I'd just give duff info. But they
don't seem to actually ask for much.
Very variable, the "free WiFi" in Days Inn the other month seemed to
want everything from inside leg measurment up. I declined and used a
bit of my 100MB mobile data allowance.
--
Cheers
Dave.
polygonum
2014-11-24 22:28:50 UTC
I just use a dual sim payg phone with the 3 network if I need data in
the UK whilst traveling. (£10 per 1G, non expiring)
Where do you get 1GB non expiring from? I only see 1GB 30-day SIMs.
Rod
Capitol
2014-11-24 23:11:40 UTC
3 network. 3 2 1 tariff.
polygonum
2014-11-25 07:13:22 UTC
Post by Capitol
Post by polygonum
I just use a dual sim payg phone with the 3 network if I need data in
the UK whilst traveling. (£10 per 1G, non expiring)
Where do you get 1GB non expiring from? I only see 1GB 30-day SIMs.
3 network. 3 2 1 tariff.
Thanks - as I was thinking tablets, I have been ignoring phone sims.
Rod
Roger Mills
2014-11-24 23:24:02 UTC
Post by polygonum
I just use a dual sim payg phone with the 3 network if I need data in
the UK whilst traveling. (£10 per 1G, non expiring)
Where do you get 1GB non expiring from? I only see 1GB 30-day SIMs.
He's talking about a '3' 1-2-3 PAYG SIM [1p/MB data (=£10/GB), 2p per
text, 3ppm for voice] Top-ups don't expire unless you use them to buy
add-ons, so using data just reduces your credit at 1p per MB.

What you *can't* (officially, at any rate) do is use it for tethering -
so you can only use data in the phone itself, and not create a hotspot
for use by other WiFi devices.
--
Cheers,
Roger
checked.
Andy Burns
And if you put the SIM *in* a laptop with 3G card?
polygonum
2014-11-25 07:17:24 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by Roger Mills
He's talking about a '3' 1-2-3 PAYG SIM
What you *can't* (officially, at any rate) do is use it for tethering -
so you can only use data in the phone itself, and not create a hotspot
for use by other WiFi devices.
And if you put the SIM *in* a laptop with 3G card?
That is why I was missing it - because we have our chosen phone
accounts, and want an extra sim for a tablet. Sim prices have rocketed -
they were regularly very cheap, £2.99 at PC World (oddly) until a few
months ago. Now they seem very expensive witht he cheapest being £7.99.

Can you use a 3 2 1 phone sim in a tablet? Tethering is not important at
the moment.
Rod
Robert
2014-11-25 21:49:08 UTC
Post by Capitol
Tesco requires someones(anyones!) clubcard number to register, but
their wifi is very reasonable IME. I have largely given up on "free
wifi" in the UK as it is always bedevilled with requests for personal
information which I wont give. I find Starbucks, Panera and some
hotels/restaurants/airports in the US very usable, the UK is almost a
total failure. I just use a dual sim payg phone with the 3 network if I
need data in the UK whilst traveling. (£10 per 1G, non expiring)
My experience is that most independant cafes, pubs, hotels etc just need
a passphrase ( often displayed on the wall or the bar) to connect to the
wifi for free.
But agree that those with landing pages etc are a hassle and I tend to
use mobile data instead.
Harry Bloomfield
2014-11-24 22:36:55 UTC
Does anyone here use this and have any views? It might help me while away the
sitting outside supermarket hours.
I signed up for it a couple of years ago. I don't know much about it,
other than I find it connects seamlessly all over the place to free
WiFi, in pubs, on the train and various other places. It doesn't need
any help from me to do it, it just connects. I just make sure I don't
use it for anything security related like banking.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Roger Mills
2014-11-24 23:33:59 UTC
Post by Bill
[...]
Have a look at this one (O2)

https://www.o2wifi.co.uk/my/about

I've registered for free WiFi but have never tried it in anger. You have
to register a mobile phone - and they send a text (presumably a
temporary password or something) to it each time you connect - so you
need it with you in addition to the tablet.
--
Cheers,
Roger
checked.
Mark Carver
2014-11-25 08:34:04 UTC
Post by Roger Mills
https://www.o2wifi.co.uk/my/about
I've registered for free WiFi but have never tried it in anger. You have
to register a mobile phone - and they send a text (presumably a
temporary password or something) to it each time you connect -
Not in my experience, I was sent a PIN via text first time I used it,
but that was it, I notice it automatically connects whenever O2 WiFi is
in range, un promted.
--
Mark
Bill Wright
2014-11-25 02:42:32 UTC
Post by Bill
[...]
I got really interested in this and took a wifi detecting gadget to
Morrisons. I counted 50 wifi transmissions all called 'Morrisons'. I
attempted to log on but it just went round and round so I gave up. Next
time at Morrisons I looked at my phone out of idle curiosity while I was
having a shit (in the lavatories). It had an exclamation mark next to
the wifi symbol. I clicked on it and it said 'log on' so I clicked on
that and it worked, and I was able to use Morrisons wifi to keep an eye
on Tesco prices as I shopped.

Bill
Gazz
2014-11-25 13:29:29 UTC
Post by Bill Wright
I got really interested in this and took a wifi detecting gadget to
Morrisons. I counted 50 wifi transmissions all called 'Morrisons'. I
attempted to log on but it just went round and round so I gave up. Next
time at Morrisons I looked at my phone out of idle curiosity while I was
having a shit (in the lavatories). It had an exclamation mark next to the
wifi symbol. I clicked on it and it said 'log on' so I clicked on that and
it worked, and I was able to use Morrisons wifi to keep an eye on Tesco
prices as I shopped.
Ahhh, so you have to log on in the bogs whilst you're logging out yourself
:)
whisky-dave
2014-11-25 13:44:23 UTC
I hope you erased your log after downloading it, I really hate that when you go to a public toilet and everything still floating there :-@
F Murtz
In Australia we just get near mcdonalds.
WeeBob
2014-11-25 17:46:59 UTC
Post by Bill
[...]
*Avoid any public WiFi and only use 3/4G*

How do you know who any public WiFi provider is?

The easiest way to find your password is to invite you to logon... with
your email address.

If I were so inclined, I'd publish an open Wifi service with a logon
page then kick you off after three attempts. Meanwhile I have stored
your password and username. Shortly I shall pawn your email and ask you
for money.

And if your not paranoid enough yet (and you should be), watch out
there's worse to come:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mysterious-fake-cellphone-towers-intercepting-162645809.html
c***@isbd.net
2014-11-25 18:02:12 UTC
Post by WeeBob
If I were so inclined, I'd publish an open Wifi service with a logon
page then kick you off after three attempts. Meanwhile I have stored
your password and username. Shortly I shall pawn your email and ask you
for money.
With which you can log on to a free WiFi service, wow! :-)
--
Chris Green
·
WeeBob
2014-11-26 06:56:11 UTC
Post by c***@isbd.net
Post by WeeBob
If I were so inclined, I'd publish an open Wifi service with a logon
page then kick you off after three attempts. Meanwhile I have stored
your password and username. Shortly I shall pawn your email and ask you
for money.
With which you can log on to a free WiFi service, wow! :-)
With which I can let you access the internet and log everything you do,
analyse it later and then craft a personalised targeted launch against
your identity.
Chris French
2014-11-26 11:31:10 UTC
In message <m53tht$snc$***@dont-email.me>, WeeBob <***@null.invalid>
writes
Post by WeeBob
Post by c***@isbd.net
Post by WeeBob
If I were so inclined, I'd publish an open Wifi service with a logon
page then kick you off after three attempts. Meanwhile I have stored
your password and username. Shortly I shall pawn your email and ask you
for money.
With which you can log on to a free WiFi service, wow! :-)
With which I can let you access the internet and log everything you do,
analyse it later and then craft a personalised targeted launch against
your identity.
That is a different argument from your initial one.
Chris French
c***@isbd.net
2014-11-26 12:11:41 UTC
Post by WeeBob
Post by c***@isbd.net
Post by WeeBob
If I were so inclined, I'd publish an open Wifi service with a logon
page then kick you off after three attempts. Meanwhile I have stored
your password and username. Shortly I shall pawn your email and ask you
for money.
With which you can log on to a free WiFi service, wow! :-)
With which I can let you access the internet and log everything you do,
analyse it later and then craft a personalised targeted launch against
your identity.
I use ssh.
--
Chris Green
·
Dave Liquorice
2014-11-25 18:52:52 UTC
Post by WeeBob
The easiest way to find your password is to invite you to logon... with
your email address.
So apart from maybe getting spammed how does knowing a password help
a miscreant?

Or do you really only have one password that you use for everything?
I don't, everything has a different password. Constructed via an
algorithm
so I don't have to actually remember any of them, I can work them
out. Mind you I'm still surprised when it does work and some sites
can screw it up by not accepting symbols, mixed case or even numbers.
--
Cheers
Dave.
Bill
2014-11-25 19:01:39 UTC
In message <m52fa5$4fm$***@dont-email.me>, WeeBob <***@null.invalid>
writes
Post by WeeBob
Post by Bill
[...]
Well, I've made myself a new person on the internet and next time I'm
waiting outside the supermarket I'll see if my new "The Cloud"
registration works.

No good asking me for money. There is none.

Thanks, everyone, for all the advice.
Bill
Bill
2014-11-27 23:00:27 UTC
Post by Bill
Well, I've made myself a new person on the internet and next time I'm
waiting outside the supermarket I'll see if my new "The Cloud"
registration works.
Well, it didn't.

The browser said there was a problem with "The Cloud"'s security
certificate and then went into an endless loop whatever I clicked on.

The other browser on the machine, Opera Mini, seemed to have been
damaged by the removal of the Chinese version of Opera (part of my
tidying operation to make room for new software), so wanted to reload,
but failed.

Back home, on a real service provider, Opera mini downloaded and
re-installed fine, and the other Android browser ran normally.

So far, I'm unimpressed.
Bill
Chris French
2014-11-25 20:29:00 UTC
Post by WeeBob
Post by Bill
[...]
what if there isn't 3/4g, or it is slow?
Post by WeeBob
How do you know who any public WiFi provider is?
True, that is a reason to be careful
Post by WeeBob
The easiest way to find your password is to invite you to logon... with
your email address.
If I were so inclined, I'd publish an open Wifi service with a logon
page then kick you off after three attempts. Meanwhile I have stored
your password and username. Shortly I shall pawn your email and ask you
for money.
Umm, you have an email address, and a password, do you really think the
password is going to get you into my email account or anywhere else
worth getting into?
--
Chris French