Radio controlled clock an hour fast
Chris French
2015-12-21 12:06:36 UTC
A new Lidl has recently in our local town - a bit of a novelty as the
nearest Aldlidls are about 20 miles away.

Anyway, popped in today for the first time when passing, to see if they
had any interesting things in their deals. I picked up a new radio
controlled clock as our old one died.

Thing is, it's it sets itself an hour fast. Instructions say it uses the
DCF77 signal from Mainflingen in Germany, which presumably is giving
time in CET (GMT+1). Now I don't really know how the system works, but
the clocks obviously don't know where in the world they are so
presumably are set to pickup a specific signal.

I have a radio controlled watch, but on that I can set the time zone)

So are Lidl are selling a load of clocks which will set themselves wrong
:-)
Chris French
Mr Macaw
2015-12-21 12:14:02 UTC
Post by Chris French
A new Lidl has recently in our local town - a bit of a novelty as the
nearest Aldlidls are about 20 miles away.
Anyway, popped in today for the first time when passing, to see if they
had any interesting things in their deals. I picked up a new radio
controlled clock as our old one died.
Thing is, it's it sets itself an hour fast. Instructions say it uses the
DCF77 signal from Mainflingen in Germany, which presumably is giving
time in CET (GMT+1). Now I don't really know how the system works, but
the clocks obviously don't know where in the world they are so
presumably are set to pickup a specific signal.
I have a radio controlled watch, but on that I can set the time zone)
So are Lidl are selling a load of clocks which will set themselves wrong
:-)
It would be right if our fuckwit government hadn't put the clocks back to give us even less light in an already dark winter.
Impeccable, adjective: something which cannot be destroyed by the beak of a parrot. Scientists have yet to discover such a substance.
Adrian
2015-12-21 12:25:41 UTC
Post by Mr Macaw
It would be right if our fuckwit government hadn't put the clocks back
to give us even less light in an already dark winter.
If you're going to blame politicians, then there's three different dates
you might find useful to remember.

1916, when it was first introduced.
1966, when the start of a trial saw the UK move to GMT+1 all year.
1970, when the House of Commons reviewed the trial and voted
overwhelmingly to go back to the hour change.

But it still wouldn't be right all year, because Germany has an hour
clock change in autumn and spring, too.
Mr Macaw
2015-12-21 12:28:18 UTC
Post by Adrian
Post by Mr Macaw
It would be right if our fuckwit government hadn't put the clocks back
to give us even less light in an already dark winter.
If you're going to blame politicians, then there's three different dates
you might find useful to remember.
1916, when it was first introduced.
1966, when the start of a trial saw the UK move to GMT+1 all year.
1970, when the House of Commons reviewed the trial and voted
overwhelmingly to go back to the hour change.
But it still wouldn't be right all year, because Germany has an hour
clock change in autumn and spring, too.
The 1966 thing is what we need. Summer doesn't matter what time it is, there's loads of light. Winter has not enough light, particularly in the evening. So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in winter. Might aswell leave them forwards as summer doesn't matter then we don't have to bother changing the clocks.
Clair Frisby talking about a jumbo hot dog on Look North said: "There's nothing like a big hot sausage inside you on a cold night like this."
Mr Macaw
2015-12-21 12:28:49 UTC
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Adrian
Post by Mr Macaw
It would be right if our fuckwit government hadn't put the clocks back
to give us even less light in an already dark winter.
If you're going to blame politicians, then there's three different dates
you might find useful to remember.
1916, when it was first introduced.
1966, when the start of a trial saw the UK move to GMT+1 all year.
1970, when the House of Commons reviewed the trial and voted
overwhelmingly to go back to the hour change.
But it still wouldn't be right all year, because Germany has an hour
clock change in autumn and spring, too.
The 1966 thing is what we need. Summer doesn't matter what time it is, there's loads of light. Winter has not enough light, particularly in the evening. So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in winter. Might aswell leave them forwards as summer doesn't matter then we don't have to bother changing the clocks.
Apparently most English want the above, but not Scots for some reason?
--
What do black men do after sex?
15 years to life.
charles
2015-12-21 12:56:20 UTC
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Adrian
Post by Mr Macaw
[...]
It's not setting the clocks back - it's setting them correctly to natural
time.

It was bad enought, as a student, being Christmas Postie with the clocks as
they are now. Sunrise around 8.30am in Edinburgh and there's a lot further
north to go.
--
Please note new email address:
***@CandEhope.me.uk
Mr Macaw
2015-12-21 13:01:17 UTC
Post by charles
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Adrian
Post by Mr Macaw
[...]
Our concept of time during a day is not natural. It's invented. There is no "correct" time.
Post by charles
It was bad enought, as a student, being Christmas Postie with the clocks as
they are now. Sunrise around 8.30am in Edinburgh and there's a lot further
north to go.
In winter it can get dark about 4 or 5 pm. The WHOLE evening is dark. Nevermind an hour in the morning, think of the whole evening!
--
A woman storms into her boss's office with this complaint:
"All the other women in the office are suing you for sexual harassment.
"Since you haven't sexually harassed me, I'm suing you for discrimination."
Brian Howie
2015-12-21 14:11:45 UTC
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Adrian
Post by Mr Macaw
[...]
We're further north and also further west. Edinburgh is further west
than Bristol. The combination makes quite a difference to sunrise.

Brian
Brian Howie
Mr Macaw
2015-12-21 14:20:05 UTC
Post by Brian Howie
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Adrian
Post by Mr Macaw
[...]
It makes it WORSE for us in the evenings. We end up with it getting dark EARLIER than the English. Therefore we should wants the clocks further FORWARDS in winter! I don't care if it's dark for an hour or so when all people are doing is either lying in or driving to work. But most people are at home in the evenings and are stuck in artificially created darkness, it's absurd! Think of the waking hours of most people, why have we put the light part of those hours all at one end?
Watching your daughter being collected by her date feels like handing over a million dollar Stradivarius to a gorilla.
2015-12-21 18:19:32 UTC
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Mr Macaw
The 1966 thing is what we need. Summer doesn't matter what time it
is, there's loads of light. Winter has not enough light, particularly
in the evening. So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in
winter. Might aswell leave them forwards as summer doesn't matter
then we don't have to bother changing the clocks.
Apparently most English want the above, but not Scots for some reason?
Scottish farmers, if I remember correctly.
Dave Plowman (News)
2015-12-21 18:34:11 UTC
Post by F
Post by Mr Macaw
Apparently most English want the above, but not Scots for some reason?
Scottish farmers, if I remember correctly.
Do their cows tell the time, then?
--
*We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart?

Dave Plowman ***@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
ARW
2015-12-21 21:39:51 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by F
Post by Mr Macaw
Apparently most English want the above, but not Scots for some reason?
Scottish farmers, if I remember correctly.
Do their cows tell the time, then?
They know when to go to sleep - at pasture bedtime
Adam
Dave Plowman (News)
2015-12-22 00:05:26 UTC
Post by ARW
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by F
Post by Mr Macaw
Apparently most English want the above, but not Scots for some reason?
Scottish farmers, if I remember correctly.
Do their cows tell the time, then?
They know when to go to sleep - at pasture bedtime
That's good. Know any udder ones?
--
*The longest recorded flightof a chicken is thirteen seconds *

d***@yahoo.co.uk
2015-12-22 07:39:20 UTC
On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 00:05:26 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by ARW
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by F
Post by Mr Macaw
Apparently most English want the above, but not Scots for some reason?
Scottish farmers, if I remember correctly.
Do their cows tell the time, then?
They know when to go to sleep - at pasture bedtime
That's good. Know any udder ones?
You're milking this.

G.Harman
ARW
Adam
Mr Macaw
2015-12-21 19:15:59 UTC
Post by F
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Mr Macaw
The 1966 thing is what we need. Summer doesn't matter what time it
is, there's loads of light. Winter has not enough light, particularly
in the evening. So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in
winter. Might aswell leave them forwards as summer doesn't matter
then we don't have to bother changing the clocks.
Apparently most English want the above, but not Scots for some reason?
Scottish farmers, if I remember correctly.
That's illogical. Farmers work whenever it's light. The number on the clock is irrelevant.
If only women came with pull-down menus and on-line help.
2015-12-21 19:19:56 UTC
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by F
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Mr Macaw
The 1966 thing is what we need. Summer doesn't matter what time it
is, there's loads of light. Winter has not enough light, particularly
in the evening. So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in
winter. Might aswell leave them forwards as summer doesn't matter
then we don't have to bother changing the clocks.
Apparently most English want the above, but not Scots for some reason?
Scottish farmers, if I remember correctly.
That's illogical. Farmers work whenever it's light. The number on the
clock is irrelevant.
Have a look at 'Debates on reform' at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Summer_Time
Mr Macaw
2015-12-21 19:34:25 UTC
Post by F
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by F
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Mr Macaw
The 1966 thing is what we need. Summer doesn't matter what time it
is, there's loads of light. Winter has not enough light, particularly
in the evening. So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in
winter. Might aswell leave them forwards as summer doesn't matter
then we don't have to bother changing the clocks.
Apparently most English want the above, but not Scots for some reason?
Scottish farmers, if I remember correctly.
That's illogical. Farmers work whenever it's light. The number on the
clock is irrelevant.
Have a look at 'Debates on reform' at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Summer_Time
Looks like most people are in favour.
--
Question: Are there too many immigrants in Britain?
17% said yes, 11% said no, 72% said "I am not understanding the question please."
Mr Macaw
2015-12-21 19:16:14 UTC
Post by F
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Mr Macaw
The 1966 thing is what we need. Summer doesn't matter what time it
is, there's loads of light. Winter has not enough light, particularly
in the evening. So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in
winter. Might aswell leave them forwards as summer doesn't matter
then we don't have to bother changing the clocks.
Apparently most English want the above, but not Scots for some reason?
Scottish farmers, if I remember correctly.
Since when did Scots farmers outnumber everyone else in the UK?
The reason people sweat is so that they won't catch fire when having sex.
2015-12-21 19:22:24 UTC
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by F
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Mr Macaw
The 1966 thing is what we need. Summer doesn't matter what time it
is, there's loads of light. Winter has not enough light, particularly
in the evening. So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in
winter. Might aswell leave them forwards as summer doesn't matter
then we don't have to bother changing the clocks.
Apparently most English want the above, but not Scots for some reason?
Scottish farmers, if I remember correctly.
Since when did Scots farmers outnumber everyone else in the UK?
They don't but, like a good number of Scots, they tend to exercise their
vocal chords quite vigorously.

Devolution, referendum anybody?
Mr Macaw
2015-12-21 19:36:44 UTC
Post by F
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by F
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Mr Macaw
The 1966 thing is what we need. Summer doesn't matter what time it
is, there's loads of light. Winter has not enough light, particularly
in the evening. So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in
winter. Might aswell leave them forwards as summer doesn't matter
then we don't have to bother changing the clocks.
Apparently most English want the above, but not Scots for some reason?
Scottish farmers, if I remember correctly.
Since when did Scots farmers outnumber everyone else in the UK?
They don't but, like a good number of Scots, they tend to exercise their
vocal chords quite vigorously.
Hey guess what? You don't have to listen to complaints! The government oughta just tell them to sod off. Democracy is about majority rule, and farmers are not the majority.
Post by F
Devolution, referendum anybody?
What? Fairness in politics?
If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't people from Holland called Holes?
The Brain
Fuck off PHucker wanker.
Adrian
2015-12-21 12:40:31 UTC
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Adrian
1966, when the start of a trial saw the UK move to GMT+1 all year.
1970, when the House of Commons reviewed the trial and voted
overwhelmingly to go back to the hour change.
But it still wouldn't be right all year, because Germany has an hour
clock change in autumn and spring, too.
The 1966 thing is what we need.
So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in winter.
You might. Parliament didn't.

366 votes to 81.
Mr Macaw
2015-12-21 12:59:37 UTC
Post by Adrian
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Adrian
1966, when the start of a trial saw the UK move to GMT+1 all year.
1970, when the House of Commons reviewed the trial and voted
overwhelmingly to go back to the hour change.
But it still wouldn't be right all year, because Germany has an hour
clock change in autumn and spring, too.
The 1966 thing is what we need.
So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in winter.
You might. Parliament didn't.
366 votes to 81.
Since when has our government done anything sensible? The problem is the type of power hungry morons who like to take up politics are precisely the type of people that shouldn't.
--
You need only two tools in life. WD-40 and duck tape.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40.
If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.
Adrian
2015-12-21 13:32:41 UTC
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Adrian
Post by Mr Macaw
The 1966 thing is what we need.
So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in winter.
You might. Parliament didn't.
366 votes to 81.
Since when has our government done anything sensible?
That was parliament, not the government.

Feel free to ask for an explanation if you don't understand the
difference.
Mr Macaw
2015-12-21 13:41:37 UTC
Post by Adrian
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Adrian
Post by Mr Macaw
The 1966 thing is what we need.
So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in winter.
You might. Parliament didn't.
366 votes to 81.
Since when has our government done anything sensible?
That was parliament, not the government.
Feel free to ask for an explanation if you don't understand the
difference.
Er.... I read this: http://www.parliament.uk/about/how/role/parliament-government/
And it's rather unclear. We voted the Tories in, who then decide what laws to change. So who chooses who is in "parliament"? Isn't parliament that room they have on TV with the party leaders at the front wailing at each other, and full of MPs we voted in, hence it's also the "government". I know there's a thing called the "house of lords" which is completely undemocratic, but I'm not sure who has control over what.
404 error - signature not found.
Adrian
2015-12-21 14:09:31 UTC
And that includes you and your bowels.
Mr Macaw
2015-12-21 14:13:18 UTC
Post by Adrian
Post by Mr Macaw
but I'm not sure who has control over what.
And that includes you and your bowels.
You've just proved your intelligence level is too low to participate in an adult discussion.
--
This exchange was overheard between the separated sections of the jail.
A male voice yells over to the female side: "I got 12 inches over here you would love to have."
The female response was: "Well, spit it out it isn't yours."
Mike Tomlinson
2015-12-21 14:00:37 UTC
Post by Adrian
Feel free to ask for an explanation if you don't understand the
difference.
Thank fuck my killfile picked up PHucker's latest morph.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
(")_(")
Mr Macaw
2015-12-21 20:31:45 UTC
Post by Mike Tomlinson
Post by Adrian
Feel free to ask for an explanation if you don't understand the
difference.
Thank fuck my killfile picked up PHucker's latest morph.
Clearly not, as you're in a discussion about me.

-- =

If the English language made any sense, lackadaisical would have somethi=
ng to do with a shortage of flowers.
Phucker fucker
2015-12-21 19:20:27 UTC
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Adrian
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Adrian
1966, when the start of a trial saw the UK move to GMT+1 all year.
1970, when the House of Commons reviewed the trial and voted
overwhelmingly to go back to the hour change.
But it still wouldn't be right all year, because Germany has an hour
clock change in autumn and spring, too.
The 1966 thing is what we need.
So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in winter.
You might. Parliament didn't.
366 votes to 81.
Since when has our government done anything sensible?
When they pulled the plug on your benefits.
Corse that isn't true of fools like Farage eh ?
Mr Macaw
2015-12-21 19:35:35 UTC
Post by Phucker fucker
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Adrian
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Adrian
1966, when the start of a trial saw the UK move to GMT+1 all year.
1970, when the House of Commons reviewed the trial and voted
overwhelmingly to go back to the hour change.
But it still wouldn't be right all year, because Germany has an hour
clock change in autumn and spring, too.
The 1966 thing is what we need.
So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in winter.
You might. Parliament didn't.
366 votes to 81.
Since when has our government done anything sensible?
When they pulled the plug on your benefits.
No they didn't.
Post by Phucker fucker
Post by Mr Macaw
The problem is the type of power hungry morons who like to
take up politics are precisely the type of people that shouldn't.
Corse that isn't true of fools like Farage eh ?
We don't know, because our fucked up voting system the Conservatives have fiddled means that they got THREE TIMES more votes than the SNP, yet a FIFTIETH of the seats.
Phucker fucker
2015-12-21 20:47:58 UTC
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Phucker fucker
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Adrian
Post by Phucker fucker
Post by Mr Macaw
The problem is the type of power hungry morons who like to
take up politics are precisely the type of people that shouldn't.
Corse that isn't true of fools like Farage eh ?
We don't know,
Yes we do.
Post by Mr Macaw
because our fucked up voting system the Conservatives have fiddled means
that they got THREE TIMES more votes than the SNP, yet a FIFTIETH of the
seats.
Not relevant to whether Farage is one of
those you object to taking up politics.
Mr Macaw
2015-12-21 21:06:10 UTC
Post by Phucker fucker
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Phucker fucker
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Adrian
Post by Phucker fucker
Post by Mr Macaw
The problem is the type of power hungry morons who like to
take up politics are precisely the type of people that shouldn't.
Corse that isn't true of fools like Farage eh ?
We don't know,
Yes we do.
Don't interrupt Rod, or you'll be deleted again.

I do however find it amusing you change name every time you think I won't talk to you anymore. Is this a crush or what? I thought there were no poofters in Australia?
Post by Phucker fucker
Post by Mr Macaw
because our fucked up voting system the Conservatives have fiddled means
that they got THREE TIMES more votes than the SNP, yet a FIFTIETH of the
seats.
Not relevant to whether Farage is one of
those you object to taking up politics.
His policies are FAR better than other parties. Except the BNP of course.
Before you set out on a journey, ring your local radio station and say there's a teerrible congestion on your road. Everybody avoids it and it's clear for you! -- Jack Dee
Richard
2015-12-21 20:08:03 UTC
Fuck off Rod
Phil L
2015-12-21 20:55:21 UTC
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Adrian
Post by Mr Macaw
It would be right if our fuckwit government hadn't put the clocks
back to give us even less light in an already dark winter.
If you're going to blame politicians, then there's three different
dates you might find useful to remember.
1916, when it was first introduced.
1966, when the start of a trial saw the UK move to GMT+1 all year.
1970, when the House of Commons reviewed the trial and voted
overwhelmingly to go back to the hour change.
But it still wouldn't be right all year, because Germany has an hour
clock change in autumn and spring, too.
The 1966 thing is what we need. Summer doesn't matter what time it
is, there's loads of light. Winter has not enough light,
particularly in the evening. So we want the clocks FORWARDS not
backwards in winter. Might aswell leave them forwards as summer
doesn't matter then we don't have to bother changing the clocks.
And as now it only gets light at 8AM, if it were left like that, it would
still be dark when all the kids were going to school at 8:30, this is why
they changed it - an extra hour at 4pm is a waste of light, all the kids are
back home by then
Mr Macaw
2015-12-21 21:07:43 UTC
Post by Phil L
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Adrian
Post by Mr Macaw
[...]
Why let kids ruin it for the rest of us? Especially as they're taken to school by car nowadays anyway.

Oh and they've invented streetlamps by the way.
Alfred Hitchcock didn't have a belly button.
Mr Macaw
2015-12-21 21:08:26 UTC
Post by Phil L
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Adrian
Post by Mr Macaw
[...]
Yes, and they could have light when they went out to play, which is just, if not more, likely to cause them to get run over.
--
What animal has genitals on its back?
A police horse.
Mr Macaw
2015-12-21 21:08:52 UTC
Post by Phil L
Post by Mr Macaw
Post by Adrian
Post by Mr Macaw
[...]
But but but, we have those pesky 20mph limits, it's impossible to kill people on the road....
--
What animal has genitals on its back?
A police horse.
Dave Plowman (News)
2015-12-22 00:04:20 UTC
Post by Phil L
And as now it only gets light at 8AM, if it were left like that, it
would still be dark when all the kids were going to school at 8:30,
this is why they changed it - an extra hour at 4pm is a waste of light,
all the kids are back home by then
When I were a kid in the NE of Scotland, we went to school in the dark as
well as coming home after dark for some of the winter.

But had daylight until after 11pm in mid summer.
--
*Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy *

Dave Liquorice
2015-12-22 10:30:36 UTC
Post by Phil L
Post by Phil L
Post by Mr Macaw
The 1966 thing is what we need.
No we fing don't. That trial was awful from the POV of a six year
old, walking to school in the dark wearing the issued Hi-viz waist
coat.
Post by Phil L
Post by Mr Macaw
has not enough light, particularly in the evening.
If people want to have a BBQ on the patio in late December (and it
has been warm enough for that this year) fit the working hours to the
available daylight. The wage slave 9-5 is an hour offset from (GMT)
daylight, 8-4 would be a better fit and for those that want a BBQ do
7-3.
Post by Phil L
Post by Mr Macaw
So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in winter.
The clocks aren't backwards in winter, they are closer to siderial
time, ie noon is when the sun is highest in the sky.
Post by Phil L
Post by Mr Macaw
have to bother changing the clocks.
Apart from the spurious "light evenings" argument trading with europe
is put forward as a reason for sticking with GMT+1 all year. Except
of course most of the EU moves to GMT+2 in the summer so that blows
that argument out of the water.
Post by Phil L
And as now it only gets light at 8AM, if it were left like that, it
would still be dark when all the kids were going to school at 8:30, this
is why they changed it - an extra hour at 4pm is a waste of light, all
the kids are back home by then
See above as a six year old in the trial period I hated it and that
was in the Midlands. Up here in the North of England or further north
I dread to think what it was like.

http://www.howhill.com/weather/webcam_24.php

Camera switches to B&W "night" mode about the light level that if you
are outside working by natural light you should have packed up and
finished for day a little while earlier.

That page refreshes each hour, last night 22 Dec was cloudy and dark
(there is a small IR illuminator for the FG). Night before clearish
and lit from an approximately 3/4 full moon.
--
Cheers
Dave.
Dave Plowman (News)
2015-12-22 11:55:10 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by Mr Macaw
The 1966 thing is what we need.
No we fing don't. That trial was awful from the POV of a six year
old, walking to school in the dark wearing the issued Hi-viz waist
coat.
The obvious snag is the time of daybreak changes dramatically across the
country. So what is fine in one part won't be in another.
--
*Remember: First you pillage, then you burn.

Dave Liquorice
2015-12-22 14:39:43 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by Mr Macaw
The 1966 thing is what we need.
No we fing don't. That trial was awful from the POV of a six year
old, walking to school in the dark wearing the issued Hi-viz waist
coat.
The obvious snag is the time of daybreak changes dramatically across the
country. So what is fine in one part won't be in another.
Roughly 40 mins most westerly (Soay) to most easterly (Lowestoft)
points of the UK but with a 8:1 bias to early sunrise. So Soay has
sunrise approx 32 mins before Greenwich. Yes, I know it's not that
simple as the earth is a tilted spheroid so the terminator doesn't
follow the lines of longitude very well. I think that that affect may
have is to shorten the time difference between Soay and Greenwich in
the Winter.
--
Cheers
Dave.
Judith
2015-12-21 13:08:25 UTC
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:06:36 -0000, Chris French
Post by Chris French
[...]
The sun rises and sets as it wishes, and government regulations change
the amount of light not a single microsecond.

(Which is just another way of saying Phucker is a fuckwit.)
Mr Macaw
2015-12-21 13:27:30 UTC
Post by Chris French
[...]
The government changes what time of day it's light. Obviously in winter we have lots of dark in the evenings, which is wrong. Clearly it's better to have it dark for an hour early in the morning (all you're doing is driving to work) and have an extra hour of light in the evening when you get home and can enjoy it. If you consider the times of day that most people are awake, it's out of synch with the time that it's light.
Post by Judith
(Which is just another way of saying Phucker is a fuckwit.)
Thought you killfiled me, liar.
--
What has got two legs and bleeds?
Half a dog!
F Murtz
???? Do they change the earth rotation
Mr Macaw
2015-12-21 23:19:00 UTC
Post by Chris French
[...]
The earth's rotation changes by up to 50 seconds either way per day.
23% of all photocopier faults worldwide are caused by people sitting on them and photocopying their buttocks.
Mr Macaw
2015-12-21 23:19:25 UTC
Post by Chris French
[...]
No, they come and paint different numbers on all our clocks and watches so the light happens earlier in the day.
23% of all photocopier faults worldwide are caused by people sitting on them and photocopying their buttocks.
Mr Macaw
2015-12-21 12:15:21 UTC
Post by Chris French
A new Lidl has recently in our local town - a bit of a novelty as the
nearest Aldlidls are about 20 miles away.
Anyway, popped in today for the first time when passing, to see if they
had any interesting things in their deals. I picked up a new radio
controlled clock as our old one died.
Thing is, it's it sets itself an hour fast. Instructions say it uses the
DCF77 signal from Mainflingen in Germany, which presumably is giving
time in CET (GMT+1). Now I don't really know how the system works, but
the clocks obviously don't know where in the world they are so
presumably are set to pickup a specific signal.
I have a radio controlled watch, but on that I can set the time zone)
So are Lidl are selling a load of clocks which will set themselves wrong
:-)
Is it this one?

--
Why was the guitar teacher arrested?
For fingering A minor.
Chris French
2015-12-21 12:54:56 UTC
Post by Chris French
A new Lidl has recently in our local town - a bit of a novelty as the
nearest Aldlidls are about 20 miles away.
Anyway, popped in today for the first time when passing, to see if they
had any interesting things in their deals. I picked up a new radio
controlled clock as our old one died.
Thing is, it's it sets itself an hour fast. Instructions say it uses the
DCF77 signal from Mainflingen in Germany, which presumably is giving
time in CET (GMT+1). Now I don't really know how the system works, but
the clocks obviously don't know where in the world they are so
presumably are set to pickup a specific signal.
I have a radio controlled watch, but on that I can set the time zone)
So are Lidl are selling a load of clocks which will set themselves wrong
:-)
Is it this one? http://youtu.be/yNrHeMbdkPQ
No, mine is an analogue one.
Chris French
charles
2015-12-21 12:33:06 UTC
Post by Chris French
A new Lidl has recently in our local town - a bit of a novelty as the
nearest Aldlidls are about 20 miles away.
Anyway, popped in today for the first time when passing, to see if they
had any interesting things in their deals. I picked up a new radio
controlled clock as our old one died.
Thing is, it's it sets itself an hour fast. Instructions say it uses the
DCF77 signal from Mainflingen in Germany, which presumably is giving
time in CET (GMT+1). Now I don't really know how the system works, but
the clocks obviously don't know where in the world they are so
presumably are set to pickup a specific signal.
I have a radio controlled watch, but on that I can set the time zone)
So are Lidl are selling a load of clocks which will set themselves wrong
:-)
I bought one from Lidl - which is no longer in my possession, but there is
a button push which allows the hours to be adjusted.
--
Please note new email address:
***@CandEhope.me.uk
Chris Hogg
2015-12-21 12:38:49 UTC
Post by Chris French
A new Lidl has recently in our local town - a bit of a novelty as the
nearest Aldlidls are about 20 miles away.
Anyway, popped in today for the first time when passing, to see if they
had any interesting things in their deals. I picked up a new radio
controlled clock as our old one died.
Thing is, it's it sets itself an hour fast. Instructions say it uses the
DCF77 signal from Mainflingen in Germany, which presumably is giving
time in CET (GMT+1). Now I don't really know how the system works, but
the clocks obviously don't know where in the world they are so
presumably are set to pickup a specific signal.
I have a radio controlled watch, but on that I can set the time zone)
So are Lidl are selling a load of clocks which will set themselves wrong
:-)
I also have a Lidl RC clock that gets it's time signal from Frankfurt.
It's an Auriol IAN 100706. Big flat round face, two rectangular
windows, wall-hanging, displays time, day, date, week no., temperature
and moon phase. Yours may be different. Somewhere in the instructions
or set-up routine there's an option to set the time zone. Just found
where: page 9. As they say, when all else fails, read the
instructions. :-)
Chris
Chris French
2015-12-21 12:53:41 UTC
Post by Chris French
[...]
Thanks, but I did once it didn't set it self correctly :-), it says
nothing about changing the time zone.

Mine is different model:

<http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=29549>

A quick web search suggest they have had this problem before with
similar clocks
Chris French
Chris Hogg
2015-12-21 13:56:23 UTC
Post by Chris French
[...]
Does this help? Different model, but the works may be similar
http://tinyurl.com/oj4cj2l
The instructions for mine are here http://tinyurl.com/hgx67my
Chris
Chris French
2015-12-21 14:12:48 UTC
Post by Chris French
[...]
Thanks, but no that doesn't help I'm afraid. (I think I'd found that
fixya page before).

That is all for digital clocks, as is yours, mine is analogue and based
on a different mechanism (unsurprisingly).

It's ok, AFAICS Lidl have cocked up, I'll take it back in a couple of
days.
Chris French
Bob Minchin
2015-12-23 14:11:41 UTC
Post by Chris French
[...]
No need to return it, just pull off the hands having let it set itself 1
hr ahead of GMT and then replace the hands on GMT.
Simples
Mike Barnes
2015-12-21 15:36:58 UTC
Post by Chris French
[...]
I don't know about that particular model but on similar clocks I've just
prised the "glass" off and moved the hour hand round a bit. It's just a
friction fit.
--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
John
2015-12-21 17:44:01 UTC
Post by Chris Hogg
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:06:36 +0000, Chris French
I also have a Lidl RC clock that gets it's time signal from Frankfurt.
It's an Auriol IAN 100706. Big flat round face, two rectangular
windows, wall-hanging, displays time, day, date, week no., temperature
and moon phase. Yours may be different. Somewhere in the instructions
or set-up routine there's an option to set the time zone. Just found
where: page 9. As they say, when all else fails, read the
instructions. :-)
--
Chris
There are hundreds of these being sold from today - and they're all wrong
by an hour. The intructions for this clock make no mention of any means
of adjusting it by an hour, and Lidl themselves say they're getting loads
of complaints - but have no answer beyond a refund.

They're either very stupid or just assume their customers are stupid
enough to put up with defective clocks.

Tim Watts
You would have thought by now, they would have a rotary "offset hours" knob.
Chris French
2015-12-21 19:16:28 UTC
Post by John
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:06:36 +0000, Chris French I also have a Lidl
RC clock that gets it's time signal from Frankfurt. It's an Auriol
IAN 100706. Big flat round face, two rectangular windows,
wall-hanging, displays time, day, date, week no., temperature and
moon phase. Yours may be different. Somewhere in the instructions or
set-up routine there's an option to set the time zone. Just found
where: page 9. As they say, when all else fails, read the
instructions. :-) -- Chris
There are hundreds of these being sold from today - and they're all wrong
by an hour. The intructions for this clock make no mention of any means
of adjusting it by an hour, and Lidl themselves say they're getting loads
of complaints - but have no answer beyond a refund.
They're either very stupid or just assume their customers are stupid
enough to put up with defective clocks.
I assume that they were supposed to be UK specific ones, and they cocked
up somewhere.

I'm mostly just amused by it :-)
Chris French
Rod Speed
Or someone fucked up on what got shipped to the UK to be sold there.
Mr Macaw
2015-12-21 20:32:31 UTC
Post by Chris French
[...]
^W^W^W Get a bigger hammer.
--
What has four legs, is big, green, fuzzy, and if it fell out of a tree would kill you?
A pool table.
Dave Plowman (News)
2015-12-21 13:05:15 UTC
Post by Chris French
A new Lidl has recently in our local town - a bit of a novelty as the
nearest Aldlidls are about 20 miles away.
Anyway, popped in today for the first time when passing, to see if they
had any interesting things in their deals. I picked up a new radio
controlled clock as our old one died.
Thing is, it's it sets itself an hour fast. Instructions say it uses the
DCF77 signal from Mainflingen in Germany, which presumably is giving
time in CET (GMT+1). Now I don't really know how the system works, but
the clocks obviously don't know where in the world they are so
presumably are set to pickup a specific signal.
I have a radio controlled watch, but on that I can set the time zone)
So are Lidl are selling a load of clocks which will set themselves wrong
:-)
I'd be amazed if it's not possible to switch it to GMT. Lidl seem to
manage to sell electrical stuff with UK plugs on them. ;-)
--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Chris French
2015-12-21 13:22:12 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by Chris French
[...]
Well yes, but I can't see anyway on this clock
Chris French
Brian-Gaff
2015-12-22 09:02:06 UTC
Well, Its been a while since I could see this, but I remember one clock that
was as described here, but as I recall there was a couple of sentences in
the scrap of paper which doubled as a manual to the effect that if yu press
certain buttons and hold them for x seconds, it allows the ofset to be
changd. This of course was fine until the clocks changed the next time,
whereupon you had lost the bit of paper and could not remember what to push!
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
Chris French
The Natural Philosopher
2015-12-22 13:07:04 UTC
Post by Brian-Gaff
Well, Its been a while since I could see this, but I remember one clock that
was as described here, but as I recall there was a couple of sentences in
the scrap of paper which doubled as a manual to the effect that if yu press
certain buttons and hold them for x seconds, it allows the ofset to be
changd. This of course was fine until the clocks changed the next time,
whereupon you had lost the bit of paper and could not remember what to push!
Brian
This is why I always scan those scraps of paper and put them in a
directory called 'manuals' on my server..
--
the biggest threat to humanity comes from socialism, which has utterly
diverted our attention away from what really matters to our existential
what it actually is.
Bob Eager
I put them on my e-reader too.
Mr Macaw
2015-12-21 20:33:52 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by Chris French
[...]
What happened to the days when people knew how to fit their own plugs?
I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. It's because I hate plants.
Chris B
2015-12-21 13:10:37 UTC
Post by Chris French
A new Lidl has recently in our local town - a bit of a novelty as the
nearest Aldlidls are about 20 miles away.
Anyway, popped in today for the first time when passing, to see if they
had any interesting things in their deals. I picked up a new radio
controlled clock as our old one died.
Thing is, it's it sets itself an hour fast. Instructions say it uses the
DCF77 signal from Mainflingen in Germany, which presumably is giving
time in CET (GMT+1). Now I don't really know how the system works, but
the clocks obviously don't know where in the world they are so
presumably are set to pickup a specific signal.
I have a radio controlled watch, but on that I can set the time zone)
So are Lidl are selling a load of clocks which will set themselves wrong
:-)
I have bought 3 from Lidl over the years and they all have had the
ability to set the displayed time as +/- 1, 2 or 3 hours. Try playing
with the menus or if all else fails try google for the exact type - you
will probably find the info.
Chris B News
Chris French
2015-12-21 13:30:02 UTC
In message <n58tjf$ja7$***@dont-email.me>, Chris B <***@salis.co.uk>
writes
Post by Chris B
Post by Chris French
[...]
There are no menus, googling it up produces no results.

Manual is here is any one thinks I'm not reading them correctly.

<http://www.lidl-service.com/cps/rde/SID-31E28FCE-A4508391/lsp/hs.xsl/pro
duct.html?id=140798043&rdeLocaleAttr=en&title=RADIO-CONTROLLED%20WALL%20C
LOCK>

I think Lidl have cocked up :-)
Chris French
Mathew Newton
2015-12-21 14:10:39 UTC
Post by Chris French
I think Lidl have cocked up :-)
It seems that way!

Could you carefully remove the hour hand and refit it an hour previous? It might be a keyed shaft to ease assembly (no calibration) however if it is just a splined/interference shaft you might be okay.

Mathew
Chris French
2015-12-21 14:27:18 UTC
Post by Mathew Newton
Post by Chris French
I think Lidl have cocked up :-)
It seems that way!
Could you carefully remove the hour hand and refit it an hour previous?
It might be a keyed shaft to ease assembly (no calibration) however if
it is just a splined/interference shaft you might be okay.
Quite possibly, but I've got better things to do right now.
Chris French
Chris French
2015-12-21 22:40:23 UTC
Post by Chris French
Post by Mathew Newton
Post by Chris French
I think Lidl have cocked up :-)
It seems that way!
Could you carefully remove the hour hand and refit it an hour
previous? It might be a keyed shaft to ease assembly (no calibration)
however if it is just a splined/interference shaft you might be okay.
Quite possibly, but I've got better things to do right now.
Well, as it happens, I was sat with the clock nearby, and I thought I've
nothing to lose by having a poke about.

The front came off easily , secured with 4 sprung clips.

I pulled off the second hand, but the main hands seem to be on a
hexagonal shaft. They wouldn't easily come off anyway. On a whim I just
moved the hands back to 11 o'clock and set it off again. Low and behold
it now shows the correct time :-)

Actually the minute hand is about 1/4 minute off, but I'm sure I can
tweak that if it bothers me.

Presumably that is how they should have been sold.
Chris French
Mathew Newton
Ah, but think of the extra hour it'll give you... you might even have time to put your feet up if you finish early! ;-)
rick
2015-12-26 16:10:21 UTC
Post by Mathew Newton
Post by Chris French
Post by Mathew Newton
Could you carefully remove the hour hand and refit it an hour previous?
It might be a keyed shaft to ease assembly (no calibration) however if
it is just a splined/interference shaft you might be okay.
Quite possibly, but I've got better things to do right now.
Ah, but think of the extra hour it'll give you... you might even have time to put your feet up if you finish early! ;-)
My radio controlled alarm clock has been an Hr out since end of BST
have to manually set

Thomas Prufer
2015-12-21 14:44:28 UTC
Post by Chris French
Manual is here is any one thinks I'm not reading them correctly.
<http://www.lidl-service.com/cps/rde/SID-31E28FCE-A4508391/lsp/hs.xsl/pro
duct.html?id=140798043&rdeLocaleAttr=en&title=RADIO-CONTROLLED%20WALL%20C
LOCK>
I think Lidl have cocked up :-)
Sounds like it.

Does the clock start at 12, 4, or 8? Could be the hands were put on wrong...?

Thomas Prufer
Chris French
2015-12-21 14:56:54 UTC
Post by Thomas Prufer
Post by Chris French
Manual is here is any one thinks I'm not reading them correctly.
<http://www.lidl-service.com/cps/rde/SID-31E28FCE-A4508391/lsp/hs.xsl/pro
duct.html?id=140798043&rdeLocaleAttr=en&title=RADIO-CONTROLLED%20WALL%20C
LOCK>
I think Lidl have cocked up :-)
Sounds like it.
Does the clock start at 12, 4, or 8? Could be the hands were put on wrong...?
They start at 12.

However, perusing the Lidl service site, I found the same looking clock
sold previously under a different model number.

It says for UK the hands should go to 11 (and for a couple of other
countries to 1, presumably as they are an hour ahead)

looks like my clock should have stayed on the mainland :-)
Chris French
Thomas Prufer
2015-12-21 17:09:55 UTC
Post by Chris French
It says for UK the hands should go to 11 (and for a couple of other
countries to 1, presumably as they are an hour ahead)
looks like my clock should have stayed on the mainland :-)
Ah! Problem found.

Maybe they will give you a "goes to 11" one in exchange.

Thomas Prufer
pamela
2015-12-21 23:00:56 UTC
Post by Chris French
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 13:30:02 +0000, Chris French
Post by Chris French
Manual is here is any one thinks I'm not reading them correctly.
<http://www.lidl-service.com/cps/rde/SID-31E28FCE-
A4508391/lsp/hs.xsl/pro
duct.html?id=140798043&rdeLocaleAttr=en&title=RADIO-CONTROLLED
%20WALL%20CLOCK>
I think Lidl have cocked up :-)
Sounds like it.
Does the clock start at 12, 4, or 8? Could be the hands were put on wrong...?
They start at 12.
However, perusing the Lidl service site, I found the same looking
clock sold previously under a different model number.
It says for UK the hands should go to 11 (and for a couple of other
countries to 1, presumably as they are an hour ahead)
looks like my clock should have stayed on the mainland :-)
So even if you set the time manually, soon enough the clock will adjust
itself to German time?

That would mean every clock sold is unsuitable for use in the UK.
pamela
Chris French
2015-12-21 23:10:13 UTC
Post by Chris French
Manual is here is any one thinks I'm not reading them correctly.
<http://www.lidl-service.com/cps/rde/SID-31E28FCE-
A4508391/lsp/hs.xsl/pro
duct.html?id=140798043&rdeLocaleAttr=en&title=RADIO-CONTROLLED
%20WALL%20CLOCK>
I think Lidl have cocked up :-)
Sounds like it.
Does the clock start at 12, 4, or 8? Could be the hands were put on wrong...?
They start at 12.
However, perusing the Lidl service site, I found the same looking
clock sold previously under a different model number.
It says for UK the hands should go to 11 (and for a couple of other
countries to 1, presumably as they are an hour ahead)
looks like my clock should have stayed on the mainland :-)
So even if you set the time manually, soon enough the clock will adjust
itself to German time?
Yup.
Post by pamela
That would mean every clock sold is unsuitable for use in the UK.
Yup, they have cocked up.
Chris French
Unclefista
2015-12-22 03:44:02 UTC
Post by Chris French
They start at 12.
However, perusing the Lidl service site, I found the same looking clock
sold previously under a different model number.
It says for UK the hands should go to 11 (and for a couple of other
countries to 1, presumably as they are an hour ahead)
looks like my clock should have stayed on the mainland :-)
--
Chris French
I've just sorted mine out, no menu or anything complicated ;)

The clock face/mechanism is held into the case with 4 wire clips. Unclip
these from the case (the end closest to you, not the point of the V that
presses against the black plastic of the mechanism, you'll see what I mean
when you look.

Then I physically moved the hour hand back an hour.

Clips clip back into place.

That's it..

Took me about 2 minutes because I was being careful.

HTH

Rod Speed
2015-12-21 19:31:55 UTC
Post by Chris French
Post by Chris French
[...]
My reading of that is that you can use the manual time setting to
move the time forward 1 minute at a time and that that offset will
be used when it acquires the radio time.
Post by Chris French
I think Lidl have cocked up :-)
I find it hard to believe that krauts could fuck up as spectacularly as
that.
Chris French
2015-12-21 23:13:51 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by Chris French
Post by Chris B
Post by Chris French
[...]
I don't think so, whilst it doesn't specify it in the manual, with radio
control clocks they normally revert to the automatically set time once
they recieve the signal again.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by Chris French
I think Lidl have cocked up :-)
I find it hard to believe that krauts could fuck up as spectacularly as
that.

<shrug> believe what you want.
Chris French
The Natural Philosopher
2015-12-22 08:17:05 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
I find it hard to believe that krauts could fuck up as spectacularly as
that.
Oh Ye of little Faith...
Volkswagen?
Energiewiende?

Cultural Marxism has rendered Germany more fucked up than most places
what it actually is.
Rod Speed
2015-12-22 08:34:38 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
I find it hard to believe that krauts could fuck up as spectacularly as
that.
Oh Ye of little Faith...
We'll see...
Post by The Natural Philosopher
Volkswagen?
Nothing even remotely like as fucked up.
Even sillier than you usually manage.
pamela
2015-12-21 22:53:25 UTC
Post by Chris French
writes
Post by Chris B
Post by Chris French
[...]
There's a helpline number given at the back of the manual:
0800 5515 6616
pamela
alan_m
2015-12-21 19:01:03 UTC
Post by Chris French
Thing is, it's it sets itself an hour fast. Instructions say it uses the
DCF77 signal from Mainflingen in Germany, which presumably is giving
time in CET (GMT+1). Now I don't really know how the system works, but
the clocks obviously don't know where in the world they are so
presumably are set to pickup a specific signal.
The aldi/lidl clocks often have a UK/CET switch to set the time zone.
John
2015-12-22 03:44:02 UTC
Post by alan_m
The aldi/lidl clocks often have a UK/CET switch to set the time zone.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk
Sadly, though, this one doesn't.

polygonum
2015-12-21 19:26:27 UTC
Post by Chris French
A new Lidl has recently in our local town - a bit of a novelty as the
nearest Aldlidls are about 20 miles away.
Anyway, popped in today for the first time when passing, to see if they
had any interesting things in their deals. I picked up a new radio
controlled clock as our old one died.
Thing is, it's it sets itself an hour fast. Instructions say it uses the
DCF77 signal from Mainflingen in Germany, which presumably is giving
time in CET (GMT+1). Now I don't really know how the system works, but
the clocks obviously don't know where in the world they are so
presumably are set to pickup a specific signal.
I have a radio controlled watch, but on that I can set the time zone)
So are Lidl are selling a load of clocks which will set themselves wrong
:-)
Going off at a tangent...

Let us contemplate the idea that Scotland becomes independent, or
despite not being fully independent gained control over their time zone.
They then decide to shift their time zone differently to England and
Wales. But the MSF transmitter is in England.

Would there be vast numbers of radio-controlled clocks appearing on
eBay? With "Item located in Kirkcaldy, Dundee, Edinburgh, Aberdeen,
Glasgow, ..."

I can't think of a obvious technical solution unless the clocks are
switchable between time sources (as some are). Even then, the switch I
have seen is between existing sources - not some new fangled one on a
different frequency.
Rod
Mike Barnes
2015-12-21 20:27:30 UTC
Post by polygonum
Going off at a tangent...
NWWT :-)
Post by polygonum
Let us contemplate the idea that Scotland becomes independent, or
despite not being fully independent gained control over their time zone.
They then decide to shift their time zone differently to England and
Wales. But the MSF transmitter is in England.
Would there be vast numbers of radio-controlled clocks appearing on
eBay? With "Item located in Kirkcaldy, Dundee, Edinburgh, Aberdeen,
Glasgow, ..."
I can't think of a obvious technical solution unless the clocks are
switchable between time sources (as some are). Even then, the switch I
have seen is between existing sources - not some new fangled one on a
different frequency.
I seems to recall hearing about r-c clocks that you can adjust plus or
minus an hour (or several hours).

That would be OK if the new time zone was an exact number of hours
different, and changed summer/winter time on the same dates. The Scots
would be mad to do anything else.

My preference would be for the UK to shift to CET. Without the Scots, if
necessary.
--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Mr Macaw
2015-12-21 20:35:56 UTC
Post by Mike Barnes
Post by polygonum
Going off at a tangent...
NWWT :-)
Post by polygonum
[...]
You'd get a tectonic rift along Hadrian's Wall, are you sure you want to go ahead with this?
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.
polygonum
2015-12-21 22:51:57 UTC
Post by Mike Barnes
Post by polygonum
Going off at a tangent...
NWWT :-)
Post by polygonum
[...]
I am imagining Scotland choosing no summer/winter change, changing on
different dates, doubled change, or something else that can't ready be
handled by the existing simplistic "which transmitter" and "extra
hour/minus hour" mechanisms.
Rod
Thomas Prufer
2015-12-22 08:00:45 UTC
Post by polygonum
I am imagining Scotland choosing no summer/winter change, changing on
different dates, doubled change, or something else that can't ready be
handled by the existing simplistic "which transmitter" and "extra
hour/minus hour" mechanisms.
The smallest time increment the current time zones show is 15 minutes.

That would be outside the usual reception area: Nepal, Australia, New Zealand...

Thomas Prufer
polygonum
2015-12-22 21:11:31 UTC
Post by Thomas Prufer
Post by polygonum
I am imagining Scotland choosing no summer/winter change, changing on
different dates, doubled change, or something else that can't ready be
handled by the existing simplistic "which transmitter" and "extra
hour/minus hour" mechanisms.
The smallest time increment the current time zones show is 15 minutes.
That would be outside the usual reception area: Nepal, Australia, New Zealand...
Thomas Prufer
Doesn't seem likely that they would choose such an unusual step as to
select a quarter-hour difference. But if they chose anything that wasn't
same-day, same-difference then they would need to manually adjust at
least some of the time. Building their own time signal would take years
to be adopted by manufacturers of clocks.
Rod
dennis@home
2015-12-21 22:49:49 UTC
Post by Chris French
A new Lidl has recently in our local town - a bit of a novelty as the
nearest Aldlidls are about 20 miles away.
Anyway, popped in today for the first time when passing, to see if they
had any interesting things in their deals. I picked up a new radio
controlled clock as our old one died.
Thing is, it's it sets itself an hour fast. Instructions say it uses the
DCF77 signal from Mainflingen in Germany, which presumably is giving
time in CET (GMT+1). Now I don't really know how the system works, but
the clocks obviously don't know where in the world they are so
presumably are set to pickup a specific signal.
I have a radio controlled watch, but on that I can set the time zone)
So are Lidl are selling a load of clocks which will set themselves wrong
:-)
There is a setting on both my lidl clocks to set the offset from the
German time signal.
RTFM to see how to set it as I doubt that yours doesn't also have a setting.
pamela
2015-12-21 23:03:34 UTC
Post by ***@home
Post by Chris French
[...]
Unexpectedly, it seems not in this case. See this link Chris posted
elsewhere:

pamela
Chris French
2015-12-21 23:15:58 UTC
Post by ***@home
Post by Chris French
[...]
How about you Reading The Fucking Thread.
Chris French
dennis@home
That will be the last time you get a friendly reply.
PeterC
2015-12-22 08:17:09 UTC
Post by Chris French
A new Lidl has recently in our local town - a bit of a novelty as the
nearest Aldlidls are about 20 miles away.
Anyway, popped in today for the first time when passing, to see if they
had any interesting things in their deals. I picked up a new radio
controlled clock as our old one died.
Thing is, it's it sets itself an hour fast. Instructions say it uses the
DCF77 signal from Mainflingen in Germany, which presumably is giving
time in CET (GMT+1). Now I don't really know how the system works, but
the clocks obviously don't know where in the world they are so
presumably are set to pickup a specific signal.
I have a radio controlled watch, but on that I can set the time zone)
So are Lidl are selling a load of clocks which will set themselves wrong
:-)
You need to turn on Time Zones - it's not obvious where this is, on mine, as
it's not in the settings but on other buttons.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway
Chris French
2015-12-22 12:32:10 UTC
Post by Chris French
So are Lidl are selling a load of clocks which will set themselves
wrong :-)
Lidl have confirmed that you can't set the clocks to UK time.

<http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/auriol-radio-controlled-clock-8-99-lidl-
2356739?page=5#comments>

comment #91

but my adjusted one is going fine so I think I'll keep it.
--
Chris French