Ping TMH (or rather his daughter)
Dave Liquorice
2015-02-26 11:14:10 UTC
Having Parkinsons I'm on regular medication, at the moment not
particularly time critical but as the brain rot progresses it will
become time critical.

So looking ahead I'm looking for some form of "Medical ID". This
can't really be an engraved thing as I want it to inform people that
I have Parkinsons and have details of my the meds and how often I
should take them.

I've had a quick look about the net and really only found bracelets
or necklace lockets/capsules, wallet cards or USB memory devices that
fit the rewriteable specification.

It's no good carrying the information if a medic can't read it, which
really rules out the USB things. That leaves a bracelet/necklace
locket/capsule or wallet cards.

What sort of medical ID does TMH's London Ambulance paramedic
daughter consider to be the one they will most likely find?
--
Cheers
Dave.
Bob Henson
2015-02-26 11:54:36 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Having Parkinsons I'm on regular medication, at the moment not
particularly time critical but as the brain rot progresses it will
become time critical.
So looking ahead I'm looking for some form of "Medical ID". This
can't really be an engraved thing as I want it to inform people that
I have Parkinsons and have details of my the meds and how often I
should take them.
I've had a quick look about the net and really only found bracelets
or necklace lockets/capsules, wallet cards or USB memory devices that
fit the rewriteable specification.
It's no good carrying the information if a medic can't read it, which
really rules out the USB things. That leaves a bracelet/necklace
locket/capsule or wallet cards.
What sort of medical ID does TMH's London Ambulance paramedic
daughter consider to be the one they will most likely find?
MedicAlert is perhaps the best service. Promoted by your local Lions
club (and, from memory, possibly sponsored too) the Bracelet/jewellery
(next to your pulse point) has brief details of your condition/s on it,
and a phone number manned 24 hours a day (100 Languages?) so all you
details are available to medics attending you very quickly, and anywhere
in the world.

http://goo.gl/7dY79U
--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

My people skills are just fine. It's my intolerance of idiots that
needs work.
Dave Liquorice
2015-02-27 11:05:28 UTC
Post by Bob Henson
MedicAlert is perhaps the best service.
Bit technological, requires phone line/mobile service. Very patchy 2G
coverage around here...

Bits of paper just work and the information is just there without
having to call a number, give code, have information dictated and
written down by caller.

Small bit of paper can get lost though. I do like the lock screen
image idea.
--
Cheers
Dave.
Bob Eager
2015-02-27 16:48:39 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by Bob Henson
MedicAlert is perhaps the best service.
Bit technological, requires phone line/mobile service. Very patchy 2G
coverage around here...
Bits of paper just work and the information is just there without having
to call a number, give code, have information dictated and written down
by caller.
MedicAlert has basic information (the most important stuff) engraved on
the bracelet with the numbers. And they supply a printed card too.

My son and I both use this...
wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Bob Eager
2015-02-28 01:29:03 UTC
Post by Bob Eager
MedicAlert has basic information (the most important stuff) engraved on
the bracelet with the numbers.
For Parkinsons the most important is drug(s) and dose(s). All of which
change as the disease progresses, every six months or so for me. So
engraving isn't really practical.
Fairy nuff. For me it's hypertension and allergies; for my son it's
diabetes.
wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Bob Henson
2015-02-28 11:35:08 UTC
Post by Bob Eager
MedicAlert has basic information (the most important stuff) engraved on
the bracelet with the numbers.
For Parkinsons the most important is drug(s) and dose(s). All of
which change as the disease progresses, every six months or so for
me. So engraving isn't really practical.
No, but they can put the name of the condition on the bracelet, and the
details held on your behalf can be regularly updated as you require.

She was only a whisky maker's daughter, but he loved her still.
Nightjar .me.uk>
2015-02-27 19:50:29 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by Bob Henson
MedicAlert is perhaps the best service.
Bit technological, requires phone line/mobile service. Very patchy 2G
coverage around here...
Bits of paper just work and the information is just there without
having to call a number, give code, have information dictated and
written down by caller.
Small bit of paper can get lost though. I do like the lock screen
image idea.
You can't be sure that anything valuable won't be stolen while you are
lying helpless:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11398804/Family-of-pensioner-robbed-as-she-lay-dying-in-street-urge-culprit-to-come-forward.html
Colin Bignell
Rod Speed
2015-02-27 22:48:07 UTC
Post by Nightjar .me.uk>
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by Bob Henson
MedicAlert is perhaps the best service.
Bit technological, requires phone line/mobile service. Very patchy 2G
coverage around here...
Bits of paper just work and the information is just there without
having to call a number, give code, have information dictated and
written down by caller.
Small bit of paper can get lost though. I do like the lock screen
image idea.
You can't be sure that anything valuable won't be stolen while you are
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11398804/Family-of-pensioner-robbed-as-she-lay-dying-in-street-urge-culprit-to-come-forward.html
Good reason to have your medical condition tattooed on your forehead.

And it has to be on your forehead, they are unlikely to look at all your
tattoos to check if one of them says what your medical condition is.
s***@gowanhill.com
2015-02-27 22:54:34 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Good reason to have your medical condition tattooed on your forehead.
And it has to be on your forehead, they are unlikely to look at all your
tattoos to check if one of them says what your medical condition is.
Terminal stupidity if you have anything tattooed on your forehead.

Owain
Weatherlawyer
2015-02-27 23:11:27 UTC
Post by s***@gowanhill.com
Post by Rod Speed
Good reason to have your medical condition tattooed on your forehead.
And it has to be on your forehead, they are unlikely to look at all your
tattoos to check if one of them says what your medical condition is.
Terminal stupidity if you have anything tattooed on your forehead.
Hard to tell if speedy is named for his alacrity or rigidity?

I read it in a glue sniffer accent:
goo duh rea suhn to uhn ha uhv your muh dicuhl cuh nuh dition... suh uh low ly.
Bob Henson
2015-02-28 11:35:41 UTC
Post by s***@gowanhill.com
Post by Rod Speed
Good reason to have your medical condition tattooed on your forehead.
And it has to be on your forehead, they are unlikely to look at all your
tattoos to check if one of them says what your medical condition is.
Terminal stupidity if you have anything tattooed on your forehead.
Owain
Or anywhere else, for that matter.

It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end.
Dennis@home
2015-02-26 21:06:58 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Having Parkinsons I'm on regular medication, at the moment not
particularly time critical but as the brain rot progresses it will
become time critical.
So looking ahead I'm looking for some form of "Medical ID". This
can't really be an engraved thing as I want it to inform people that
I have Parkinsons and have details of my the meds and how often I
should take them.
I've had a quick look about the net and really only found bracelets
or necklace lockets/capsules, wallet cards or USB memory devices that
fit the rewriteable specification.
It's no good carrying the information if a medic can't read it, which
really rules out the USB things. That leaves a bracelet/necklace
locket/capsule or wallet cards.
What sort of medical ID does TMH's London Ambulance paramedic
daughter consider to be the one they will most likely find?
Your NHS number will allow them to download your brief medical records
from the spine. You could have that engraved on anything.

If you are diabetic it may be worth having that engraved too so someone
can force feed you a mars bar in an emergency.
Martin Brown
2015-02-26 21:19:43 UTC
Post by ***@home
Post by Dave Liquorice
Having Parkinsons I'm on regular medication, at the moment not
particularly time critical but as the brain rot progresses it will
become time critical.
So looking ahead I'm looking for some form of "Medical ID". This
can't really be an engraved thing as I want it to inform people that
I have Parkinsons and have details of my the meds and how often I
should take them.
I've had a quick look about the net and really only found bracelets
or necklace lockets/capsules, wallet cards or USB memory devices that
fit the rewriteable specification.
It's no good carrying the information if a medic can't read it, which
really rules out the USB things. That leaves a bracelet/necklace
locket/capsule or wallet cards.
What sort of medical ID does TMH's London Ambulance paramedic
daughter consider to be the one they will most likely find?
A stainless steel medic alert bracelet worn on the wrist with your full
details written inside on origami paper with a very fine black ink nib.

SOS Talisman ought to find them - also available in titanium.

These days you can get ones with USB sticks or sD memory cards in or
smaller dedicated ones for specific allergies or afflictions.
Post by ***@home
Your NHS number will allow them to download your brief medical records
from the spine. You could have that engraved on anything.
If you are diabetic it may be worth having that engraved too so someone
can force feed you a mars bar in an emergency.
Also worth having ICE numbers set up in your mobile phone.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
JimK
2015-02-26 22:06:59 UTC
/Also worth having ICE numbers set up in your mobile phone./q

In Car Entertainment ?

Jim K
s***@gowanhill.com
2015-02-26 22:16:54 UTC
Post by JimK
/Also worth having ICE numbers set up in your mobile phone./q
In Car Entertainment ?
In Case of Emergency
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_case_of_emergency

Owain
Roger Mills
2015-02-26 22:29:52 UTC
Post by s***@gowanhill.com
Post by JimK
/Also worth having ICE numbers set up in your mobile phone./q
In Car Entertainment ?
In Case of Emergency
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_case_of_emergency
Owain
Indeed. Not sure how that would work with a password-protected phone
though. When my phone goes to sleep, it can receive incoming calls or
make emergency calls - but that's all. Everything else needs a PIN to be
input to wake it up. I doubt whether the network operators would regard
ringing a number marked "ICE" as an emergency call.
--
Cheers,
Roger
checked.
Dennis@home
2015-02-26 23:13:51 UTC
Post by Roger Mills
Post by s***@gowanhill.com
Post by JimK
/Also worth having ICE numbers set up in your mobile phone./q
In Car Entertainment ?
In Case of Emergency
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_case_of_emergency
Owain
Indeed. Not sure how that would work with a password-protected phone
though. When my phone goes to sleep, it can receive incoming calls or
make emergency calls - but that's all. Everything else needs a PIN to be
input to wake it up. I doubt whether the network operators would regard
ringing a number marked "ICE" as an emergency call.
Android phones will display the ICE information even if the phone is
locked. Don't put anything in there that you want to keep a secret.
Roger Mills
2015-02-27 23:11:19 UTC
Post by ***@home
Post by Roger Mills
Post by s***@gowanhill.com
Post by JimK
/Also worth having ICE numbers set up in your mobile phone./q
In Car Entertainment ?
In Case of Emergency
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_case_of_emergency
Owain
Indeed. Not sure how that would work with a password-protected phone
though. When my phone goes to sleep, it can receive incoming calls or
make emergency calls - but that's all. Everything else needs a PIN to be
input to wake it up. I doubt whether the network operators would regard
ringing a number marked "ICE" as an emergency call.
Android phones will display the ICE information even if the phone is
locked. Don't put anything in there that you want to keep a secret.
In that case, would you care to explain how to do it - 'cos I haven't
succeeded in making my phone do it. I have added a contact called 'ICE'
- with associated mobile and landline numbers - but, as far as I can
see, there's no way of displaying that when the screen is locked.

If I swipe up to unlock the screen, it gives me the usual keypad to
input my PIN. At the bottom of the screen it says "Emergency Calls". If
I tap that rather than entering the PIN, it brings up an emergency
dialler keypad. That is numeric only, with no access to the contacts
list and - if I dial an ordinary number such as my landline - it rejects
it on the basis that it's not a proper emergency number (such as 112 or
999).

What am I missing?
--
Cheers,
Roger
checked.
Bill
2015-02-27 01:21:54 UTC
Post by Roger Mills
Post by s***@gowanhill.com
Post by JimK
/Also worth having ICE numbers set up in your mobile phone./q
In Car Entertainment ?
In Case of Emergency
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_case_of_emergency
Owain
Indeed. Not sure how that would work with a password-protected phone
though. When my phone goes to sleep, it can receive incoming calls or
make emergency calls - but that's all. Everything else needs a PIN to
be input to wake it up. I doubt whether the network operators would
regard ringing a number marked "ICE" as an emergency call.
My phone an iPhone 5, and most smart phones, will let you display an
opening screen before needing any password. I just made up an image
with my various contact details on it so that any one attempting to use
it sees them. You could add quite a bit of text to give medical info
too.
Bill
Dave Liquorice
2015-02-27 10:11:16 UTC
Post by Bill
My phone an iPhone 5, and most smart phones, will let you display an
opening screen before needing any password.
Yep mine has "owner information". I guess the owners of best phones
have to be spoon fed that the information there is free form.
Post by Bill
I just made up an image with my various contact details on it so that
any one attempting to use it sees them. You could add quite a bit of
text to give medical info too.
An extension to the owner info which actually isn't big enough to
hold all the information I want to put in it. Good tip.
--
Cheers
Dave.
Capitol
2015-02-27 10:30:26 UTC
Post by Bill
I just made up an image with my various contact details on it so that
any one attempting to use it sees them. You could add quite a bit of
text to give medical info too.
An extension to the owner info which actually isn't big enough to
hold all the information I want to put in it. Good tip.
Most phones are big enough to put a label on the back with all the
starting details required.
Dave Liquorice
2015-02-27 11:23:51 UTC
Post by Capitol
Most phones are big enough to put a label on the back with all the
starting details required.
Needs to be easily updateable. Something on the outside of the case
would have to be fairly robust. Inside the screen flap could work, if
a label could be found that was water resistant (I work outside) and
peeled away cleanly. But I don't always have my phone.
--
Cheers
Dave.
john james
2015-02-27 21:52:27 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by Capitol
Most phones are big enough to put a label on the back with all the
starting details required.
Needs to be easily updateable. Something on the outside of the case
would have to be fairly robust. Inside the screen flap could work, if
a label could be found that was water resistant (I work outside) and
peeled away cleanly. But I don't always have my phone.
And first responders won't necessarily look there either.

Looks like you need quite a bit of redundancy, a card in
your wallet, Medical ID on your phone, maybe even a
bracelet, tho like you I have never been into jewellery of
any kind and haven't worn a watch for decades now.
S Viemeister
2015-02-27 14:13:48 UTC
Post by Bill
I just made up an image with my various contact details on it so that
any one attempting to use it sees them. You could add quite a bit of
text to give medical info too.
An extension to the owner info which actually isn't big enough to
hold all the information I want to put in it. Good tip.
For android phones, this app may be useful -
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004T4DMP8/ref=mas_ya_dp>
Roger Mills
2015-02-27 23:00:34 UTC
Post by Roger Mills
Post by s***@gowanhill.com
Post by JimK
/Also worth having ICE numbers set up in your mobile phone./q
In Car Entertainment ?
In Case of Emergency
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_case_of_emergency
Owain
Indeed. Not sure how that would work with a password-protected phone
though. When my phone goes to sleep, it can receive incoming calls or
make emergency calls - but that's all. Everything else needs a PIN to
be input to wake it up. I doubt whether the network operators would
regard ringing a number marked "ICE" as an emergency call.
My phone an iPhone 5, and most smart phones, will let you display an
opening screen before needing any password. I just made up an image with
my various contact details on it so that any one attempting to use it
sees them. You could add quite a bit of text to give medical info too.
Yes, my Android phone does that too. So I suppose that I could put
'ICE'-type contact information there. Anyone seeing it would need to use
a different phone to make contact though, 'cos they wouldn't be able to
make any calls on my phone without knowing the password.
--
Cheers,
Roger
checked.
Rod Speed
2015-02-27 04:00:12 UTC
Post by Roger Mills
Post by s***@gowanhill.com
Post by JimK
/Also worth having ICE numbers set up in your mobile phone./q
In Car Entertainment ?
In Case of Emergency
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_case_of_emergency
Indeed. Not sure how that would work with a password-protected phone
though.
It does with the best of them, they allow access
to that without the password or fingerprint etc.
You don't necessarily ring it, its just got your emergency details listed.
Martin Brown
2015-02-27 09:59:00 UTC
Post by Roger Mills
Post by s***@gowanhill.com
Post by JimK
/Also worth having ICE numbers set up in your mobile phone./q
In Car Entertainment ?
I thought the acronym was now widely known. We had an initiative round
here where teenagers went around programming them into grannies phones.
Post by Roger Mills
Post by s***@gowanhill.com
In Case of Emergency
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_case_of_emergency
Owain
Indeed. Not sure how that would work with a password-protected phone
though. When my phone goes to sleep, it can receive incoming calls or
make emergency calls - but that's all. Everything else needs a PIN to be
input to wake it up. I doubt whether the network operators would regard
ringing a number marked "ICE" as an emergency call.
That is an interesting point if the owner is out of it.

I wonder if smart phone makers could be persuaded to add an optional
single ICE call button to the unlock screen so that someone other than
the presumably incapacitated owner can make an emergency call!

Only other way I can think of it to design a custom screen saver that
says please ring this number if you find me in trouble.

I got my mum a dumb phone with an emergency call button on it, but the
stupid thing would only let me enter a 3 digit emergency number :(

She can remember 999 without any help from her phone.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Rod Speed
2015-02-27 10:41:20 UTC
Post by Martin Brown
Post by Roger Mills
Post by Roger Mills
Post by s***@gowanhill.com
In Case of Emergency
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_case_of_emergency
Owain
Indeed. Not sure how that would work with a password-protected phone
though. When my phone goes to sleep, it can receive incoming calls or
make emergency calls - but that's all. Everything else needs a PIN to be
input to wake it up. I doubt whether the network operators would regard
ringing a number marked "ICE" as an emergency call.
That is an interesting point if the owner is out of it.
Not really, anyone who finds that person in that situation should
be calling 911 first and doing that on their own phone usually.
Post by Martin Brown
I wonder if smart phone makers could be persuaded to add an optional
single ICE call button to the unlock screen so that someone other than the
presumably incapacitated owner can make an emergency call!
They can do that to 911 on almost all phones.
Post by Martin Brown
Only other way I can think of it to design a custom screen saver that says
please ring this number if you find me in trouble.
That is only going to be useful in the situation where there is
something that someone other than the official first responders
can do instead of them. That is certainly true of people who
have just got lost and are so bad that they can't just call
a family member themselves, but the usual ICE system does
allow anyone to call one of the ICE numbers on their own phone.
Post by Martin Brown
I got my mum a dumb phone with an emergency call button on it, but the
stupid thing would only let me enter a 3 digit emergency number :(
Any system that handles the ICE system can do a lot better than that.
Post by Martin Brown
She can remember 999 without any help from her phone.
But wont necessarily be able to do that if the brown stuff has
hit the fan and she is much worse than she normally is mentally.

The ICE system does allow someone else to call who you specify.
Gordon Henderson
2015-02-27 10:59:21 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Not really, anyone who finds that person in that situation should
be calling 911 first and doing that on their own phone usually.
UK.diy.

UK.

This is the UK D.I.Y. usenet group.

I'm only replying to this in-case some idiot follows your "advice"
and thinks you can actually dial 911 here.

You can't.

We have some towns here where some local 7-digit numbers start 911 -
e.g. Bristol 0117 911 xxxx.

911 is not an emergency number in the UK. Never has been, never will be.

The pan-european emergency number is 112. Or 999 if you're in the UK
where 112 also works.

Gordon
Huge
2015-02-27 11:17:32 UTC
Post by Gordon Henderson
Post by Rod Speed
Not really, anyone who finds that person in that situation should
be calling 911 first and doing that on their own phone usually.
UK.diy.
UK.
This is the UK D.I.Y. usenet group.
I'm only replying to this in-case some idiot follows your "advice"
Blimey, does anyone here regard Wodders as anything other than a figure of fun?
--
Today is Pungenday, the 58th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3181
I don't have an attitude problem. If you have a problem with my attitude,
that's your problem.
polygonum
2015-02-27 19:43:22 UTC
Post by Huge
Blimey, does anyone here regard Wodders as anything other than a figure of fun?
I get precious little fun out of his posting.
Rod
Nightjar .me.uk>
2015-02-27 14:36:11 UTC
On 27/02/2015 10:59, Gordon Henderson wrote:
911 is not an emergency number in the UK. Never has been, never will be....
Which doesn't mean it won't get you help:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1387623/American-biologist-Liz-Francis-trapped-UK-beach-dials-911-rescued.html

Considering that there are more than 20 different emergency numbers
around the world, mobile phones really ought to be able to redirect an
emergency call to the local services if the user dials the number they
know from home.
Colin Bignell
Adrian
2015-02-27 14:56:51 UTC
Post by Nightjar .me.uk>
Considering that there are more than 20 different emergency numbers
around the world, mobile phones really ought to be able to redirect an
emergency call to the local services if the user dials the number they
know from home.
Which is great, but... If you happen to be in Bristol, pick up the phone
and dial 911, then pause, there are ten thousand possible valid phone
numbers you could be dialling. Only one of them is the US emergency
number.

Bristol may not be the only city where that applies.
Nightjar .me.uk>
2015-02-27 16:42:23 UTC
Post by Adrian
Post by Nightjar .me.uk>
Considering that there are more than 20 different emergency numbers
around the world, mobile phones really ought to be able to redirect an
emergency call to the local services if the user dials the number they
know from home.
Which is great, but... If you happen to be in Bristol, pick up the phone
and dial 911, then pause, there are ten thousand possible valid phone
numbers you could be dialling. Only one of them is the US emergency
number.
Bristol may not be the only city where that applies.
Do mobiles recognise local land line numbers without the dialling code?
I've never tried dialling from my mobile without including the dialling
code. When using my mobile abroad, I always include the country code as
well, even when dialling a number local to where I am.
Colin Bignell
Chris French
2015-02-27 16:57:58 UTC
Post by Nightjar .me.uk>
Post by Adrian
Post by Nightjar .me.uk>
Considering that there are more than 20 different emergency numbers
around the world, mobile phones really ought to be able to redirect an
emergency call to the local services if the user dials the number they
know from home.
Which is great, but... If you happen to be in Bristol, pick up the phone
and dial 911, then pause, there are ten thousand possible valid phone
numbers you could be dialling. Only one of them is the US emergency
number.
Bristol may not be the only city where that applies.
Do mobiles recognise local land line numbers without the dialling code?
No
Post by Nightjar .me.uk>
I've never tried dialling from my mobile without including the dialling
code.
'The number you have called has nor been recognised'....
Chris French
Adrian
2015-02-27 17:03:21 UTC
Post by Nightjar .me.uk>
Post by Adrian
Which is great, but... If you happen to be in Bristol, pick up the
phone and dial 911, then pause, there are ten thousand possible valid
phone numbers you could be dialling. Only one of them is the US
emergency number.
Bristol may not be the only city where that applies.
Do mobiles recognise local land line numbers without the dialling code?
No.

But if you happened to use it from a landline, or happened to try calling
from a mobile forgetting the area code.
Post by Nightjar .me.uk>
When using my mobile abroad, I always include the country code as
well, even when dialling a number local to where I am.
Yep, most of my numbers are +44 in the address book, too. Sometimes,
though, that causes them not to come up correctly on inbound calls.
Nightjar .me.uk>
2015-02-27 17:34:54 UTC
Post by Nightjar .me.uk>
Post by Adrian
Which is great, but... If you happen to be in Bristol, pick up the
phone and dial 911, then pause, there are ten thousand possible valid
phone numbers you could be dialling. Only one of them is the US
emergency number.
Bristol may not be the only city where that applies.
Do mobiles recognise local land line numbers without the dialling code?
No....
In which case, my suggestion that mobile phones should be able to divert
to the local emergency number if the user dials the number they would
use in their home country isn't affected by what happens on land lines
in Bristol.
Colin Bignell
Dennis@home
2015-02-28 09:49:51 UTC
Post by Nightjar .me.uk>
Post by Nightjar .me.uk>
Post by Adrian
Which is great, but... If you happen to be in Bristol, pick up the
phone and dial 911, then pause, there are ten thousand possible valid
phone numbers you could be dialling. Only one of them is the US
emergency number.
Bristol may not be the only city where that applies.
Do mobiles recognise local land line numbers without the dialling code?
No....
In which case, my suggestion that mobile phones should be able to divert
to the local emergency number if the user dials the number they would
use in their home country isn't affected by what happens on land lines
in Bristol.
The gsm standard states 112 is the emergency number (and uk operators
support 999). As only gsm mobiles work here any other emergency number
used by other mobile operators doesn't matter here. You either dial the
uk standard 999 or the international standard 112. There are posters on
the side of ambulances telling you what to dial in case you have missed it.
Nightjar .me.uk>
2015-02-28 11:00:32 UTC
Post by ***@home
Post by Nightjar .me.uk>
Post by Nightjar .me.uk>
Post by Adrian
[...]
Did you miss the link I posted, where an American woman successfully
dialled 911 from a beach in Britain?
Colin Bignell
Tim Streater
2015-02-27 17:03:52 UTC
Post by Nightjar .me.uk>
Post by Adrian
Post by Nightjar .me.uk>
Considering that there are more than 20 different emergency numbers
around the world, mobile phones really ought to be able to redirect an
emergency call to the local services if the user dials the number they
know from home.
Which is great, but... If you happen to be in Bristol, pick up the phone
and dial 911, then pause, there are ten thousand possible valid phone
numbers you could be dialling. Only one of them is the US emergency
number.
Bristol may not be the only city where that applies.
Do mobiles recognise local land line numbers without the dialling code?
I've never tried dialling from my mobile without including the dialling
code.
Be a bit dodgy wouldn't it? You'd have to know which tower was picking
up your signal and know therefore which area code it would assume. How
you going to guarantee that?
--
"A committee is a cul-de-sac down which ideas are lured and then
quietly strangled." - Sir Barnett Cocks (1907-1989)
Rod Speed
2015-02-27 22:27:14 UTC
Post by Tim Streater
Post by Nightjar .me.uk>
Post by Adrian
Post by Nightjar .me.uk>
[...]
Works fine here, tho our area codes are very large indeed, like for the
whole state.
JimK
2015-02-27 17:25:03 UTC
/Do mobiles recognise local land line numbers without the dialling code?
I've never tried dialling from my mobile without including the dialling
code. /q

Er..... Uk-Ring-Yourself ?

Jim K
The Medway Handyman
Rod Speed
2015-02-27 22:20:05 UTC
Post by Nightjar .me.uk>
Post by Adrian
Post by Nightjar .me.uk>
Considering that there are more than 20 different emergency numbers
around the world, mobile phones really ought to be able to redirect an
emergency call to the local services if the user dials the number they
know from home.
Which is great, but... If you happen to be in Bristol, pick up the phone
and dial 911, then pause, there are ten thousand possible valid phone
numbers you could be dialling. Only one of them is the US emergency
number.
Bristol may not be the only city where that applies.
Do mobiles recognise local land line numbers without the dialling code?
Yep.
Post by Nightjar .me.uk>
I've never tried dialling from my mobile without including the dialling
code.
I do it all the time.
Rod Speed
Plenty of countrys do that now with 911.
Nightjar .me.uk>
2015-02-27 14:47:40 UTC
On 27/02/2015 10:41, Rod Speed wrote:
Post by Rod Speed
Not really, anyone who finds that person in that situation should
be calling 911 first and doing that on their own phone usually....
I thought the Aussie emergency number was 000.
Colin Bignell
Tim Watts
2015-02-27 15:29:14 UTC
I thought it was XXXX
Scion
2015-02-27 16:34:16 UTC
666, surely.
Rod Speed
2015-02-27 22:08:42 UTC
It is, but 911 works fine too.
HarpingOn
2015-02-27 11:41:10 UTC
Post by Martin Brown
Post by Roger Mills
Post by Roger Mills
Post by s***@gowanhill.com
In Case of Emergency
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_case_of_emergency
Owain
Indeed. Not sure how that would work with a password-protected phone
though. When my phone goes to sleep, it can receive incoming calls or
make emergency calls - but that's all. Everything else needs a PIN to be
input to wake it up. I doubt whether the network operators would regard
ringing a number marked "ICE" as an emergency call.
That is an interesting point if the owner is out of it.
I wonder if smart phone makers could be persuaded to add an optional
single ICE call button to the unlock screen so that someone other than
the presumably incapacitated owner can make an emergency call!
My phone (Android 4.4.4, Sony Xperia Z1) shows an ICE button on the lock
screen, that opens the ICE contact, showing photo of ICE contact, and
telephone number, email and address details. It will also allow the
calling of the ICE contact from a locked handset.
The Medway Handyman
2015-02-26 22:36:05 UTC
Post by s***@gowanhill.com
Post by JimK
/Also worth having ICE numbers set up in your mobile phone./q
In Car Entertainment ?
In Case of Emergency
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_case_of_emergency
Owain
And the emergency services really do use them.
The Natural Philosopher
2015-02-26 22:31:50 UTC
Post by JimK
/Also worth having ICE numbers set up in your mobile phone./q
In Car Entertainment ?
Jim K
In Circuit Emulator?

ICE - International Currency Exchange, a UK-based currency exchange provider
Independent Commission of Experts, former name of the investigation into
assets moved to Switzerland around the Second World War
Independent Crown entities, part of New Zealand's State sector
Information Council on the Environment, a public relations organization
in the USA
Institution of Civil Engineers, a British professional association
Iron Crown Enterprises, game-producing company from Virginia, USA
Institute for Credentialing Excellence, an institute for accreditation
Institute of Culinary Education, in New York City, New York, USA
Instituto Costarricense de Electricidad, the Costa Rican Institute of
Electricity
IntercontinentalExchange, an Atlanta-based market for futures in energy
and commodities and for other derivatives
The Ice Organisation, a UK sustainable rewards programme, also known as
MyIce
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, a U.S. government agency
Dave Liquorice
2015-02-27 00:25:49 UTC
Post by Martin Brown
Also worth having ICE numbers set up in your mobile phone.
As others have pointed out that is behind a pin or swipe pattern.
There is the "owner information" that is displayed on the lock screen
though. Not a bad idea.
--
Cheers
Dave.
john james
2015-02-27 04:12:36 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by Martin Brown
Also worth having ICE numbers set up in your mobile phone.
As others have pointed out that is behind a pin or swipe pattern.
No its not with the best phones.
Medical ID is displayed there with the best phones.
Chris French
2015-02-27 20:13:47 UTC
Post by john james
Post by Dave Liquorice
There is the "owner information" that is displayed on the lock screen
though. Not a bad idea.
Medical ID is displayed there with the best phones.
What are you referring to by 'the best phones', in what way is not just
giving an example helpful?

I have a recent model (2014) android phone running Android Kitkat 4.4.4
there is no in built Medical Info display on the lock screen that I am
aware of. Not even really sure what you are talkign about

No will ICE contacts appear on there AFAIK, though you can probably get
apps to do that.
Chris French
Bob Eager
2015-02-27 22:02:50 UTC
Post by Chris French
Post by john james
Post by Dave Liquorice
There is the "owner information" that is displayed on the lock screen
though. Not a bad idea.
Medical ID is displayed there with the best phones.
What are you referring to by 'the best phones', in what way is not just
giving an example helpful?
I have a recent model (2014) android phone running Android Kitkat 4.4.4
there is no in built Medical Info display on the lock screen that I am
aware of. Not even really sure what you are talkign about
In Settings, go to 'Security' and 'Owner Info'. I think that's all they
meant. That goes on the lock screen but I don't think there's much space.

You could always put in some text telling people how to unlock it :-)
wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
john james
2015-02-27 22:55:21 UTC
Post by Chris French
Post by john james
Post by Dave Liquorice
There is the "owner information" that is displayed on the lock screen
though. Not a bad idea.
Medical ID is displayed there with the best phones.
What are you referring to by 'the best phones',
Stuff like the iphones which have been updated to the latest iOS and
the best of the androids like the high end Samsungs and stuff like that.
Post by Chris French
in what way is not just giving an example helpful?
He said that he doesn't intend to change his phone to get that.
Post by Chris French
I have a recent model (2014) android phone running Android Kitkat 4.4.4
there is no in built Medical Info display on the lock screen that I am
aware of. Not even really sure what you are talkign about
That was a specific comment about iphones running iOS8.
Post by Chris French
No will ICE contacts appear on there AFAIK, though you can probably get
apps to do that.
Yes you can and that is what I meant.
Sure, I should have said that less cryptically.
Dennis@home
2015-02-28 09:55:03 UTC
Post by Chris French
I have a recent model (2014) android phone running Android Kitkat 4.4.4
there is no in built Medical Info display on the lock screen that I am
aware of. Not even really sure what you are talkign about
Its a standard part of kitkat so why not ask your phone supplier where
it is? Its a button next to the emergency call button.

Maybe you have to go into contacts and add some info before it shows, I
don't recall.
Dave Liquorice
2015-02-27 00:23:38 UTC
Post by ***@home
Having Parkinsons ...
Your NHS number will allow them to download your brief medical records
from the spine. You could have that engraved on anything.
If they have a connection... I don't trust technology that requires a
connection to function. There are large areas around here that don't
have 2G let alone 3 or 4...
Post by ***@home
If you are diabetic ...
Some one didn't read the second word of my post.
Post by ***@home
... it may be worth having that engraved too so someone can force feed
you a mars bar in an emergency.
You really ought to try and assertain if the diabetic is hyper- or
hypo- glycemic before you shove sugar into them.
--
Cheers
Dave.
Fredxxx
2015-02-27 00:50:11 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Having Parkinsons ...
Post by ***@home
... it may be worth having that engraved too so someone can force feed
you a mars bar in an emergency.
You really ought to try and assertain if the diabetic is hyper- or
hypo- glycemic before you shove sugar into them.
Giving a hyper-glycemic diabetic sugar is considered less dangerous that
not giving sugar to a hypo-glycemic diabetic.

If in doubt give sugar to the diabetic.
Dave Liquorice
2015-02-27 10:56:17 UTC
Post by Fredxxx
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by ***@home
... it may be worth having that engraved too so someone can force feed
you a mars bar in an emergency.
You really ought to try and assertain if the diabetic is hyper- or
hypo- glycemic before you shove sugar into them.
Giving a hyper-glycemic diabetic sugar is considered less dangerous that
not giving sugar to a hypo-glycemic diabetic.
True enough but I didn't say don't give sugar I said try and find out
which extreme they are at. The chances are it is hypo- and that
condition is more dangerous than hyper-.
--
Cheers
Dave.
Fredxxx
2015-02-27 20:21:39 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by Fredxxx
Post by Fredxxx
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by ***@home
you a mars bar in an emergency.
You really ought to try and assertain if the diabetic is hyper- or
hypo- glycemic before you shove sugar into them.
Giving a hyper-glycemic diabetic sugar is considered less dangerous that
not giving sugar to a hypo-glycemic diabetic.
True enough but I didn't say don't give sugar I said try and find out
which extreme they are at. The chances are it is hypo- and that
condition is more dangerous than hyper-.
If the person is sufficiently lucid then yes of course find out.

If a known diabetic, not lucid or unable to get a conversation, or being
in a coma, then I would search them for any dextrose and do my best to
get it into their mouth.
Bob Henson
2015-02-27 08:40:18 UTC
Post by ***@home
Post by Dave Liquorice
[...]
Only if the helper has the appropriate medical qualification and hence
has access to the spine. As not many doctors, whilst out shopping or
whatever, carry a laptop with the appropriate VPN connection installed,
a mobile phone to which they can connect it to get internet access, a
card reader and the necessary security card to access the spine (it is
normally left in their surgery computer reader) they might find access a
tad difficult, and pointless since the patient would be dead by the time
they had connected to the NHS's biggest white elephant. The best bet
with the Mars bar would be to give it to a child as a bribe to run for help.

I take it you were not being serious about either.
--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Foreign Aid - The transfer of money from poor people in rich countries
to rich people in poor countries.
John Rumm
2015-02-27 22:55:13 UTC
Post by ***@home
Post by Dave Liquorice
[...]
The scary thing is the number of people who seem to the think that what
a diabetic needs in an emergency is insulin though...
--
Cheers,

John.

Bob Eager
2015-02-27 23:02:14 UTC
Post by John Rumm
Post by ***@home
Post by Dave Liquorice
[...]
For a hypo, it's usually Coca-Cola and/or a Jaffa cake...
wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
The Medway Handyman
2015-02-26 22:40:02 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Having Parkinsons I'm on regular medication, at the moment not
particularly time critical but as the brain rot progresses it will
become time critical.
So looking ahead I'm looking for some form of "Medical ID". This
can't really be an engraved thing as I want it to inform people that
I have Parkinsons and have details of my the meds and how often I
should take them.
I've had a quick look about the net and really only found bracelets
or necklace lockets/capsules, wallet cards or USB memory devices that
fit the rewriteable specification.
It's no good carrying the information if a medic can't read it, which
really rules out the USB things. That leaves a bracelet/necklace
locket/capsule or wallet cards.
What sort of medical ID does TMH's London Ambulance paramedic
daughter consider to be the one they will most likely find?
I'll ask her and get back to you.
Dave Liquorice
2015-02-27 00:09:35 UTC
Post by The Medway Handyman
Post by Dave Liquorice
What sort of medical ID does TMH's London Ambulance paramedic
daughter consider to be the one they will most likely find?
I'll ask her and get back to you.
Thanks. I'm thinking a locket on short necklace, as if I'm found
catatonic they'll be looking for a pulse and the neck is the quickest
and easiest place to look. Well it's a theory...
--
Cheers
Dave.
Lobster
2015-02-27 08:31:40 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by The Medway Handyman
Post by Dave Liquorice
What sort of medical ID does TMH's London Ambulance paramedic
daughter consider to be the one they will most likely find?
I'll ask her and get back to you.
Thanks. I'm thinking a locket on short necklace, as if I'm found
catatonic they'll be looking for a pulse and the neck is the quickest
and easiest place to look. Well it's a theory...
How about a small tattoo on throat just below the collar line?
"Parkinsons' patient - see wallet" or something?

Ok, having written that down, maybe not: but I'll post it anyway!
David
Bob Henson
2015-02-27 08:45:27 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by The Medway Handyman
Post by Dave Liquorice
What sort of medical ID does TMH's London Ambulance paramedic
daughter consider to be the one they will most likely find?
I'll ask her and get back to you.
Thanks. I'm thinking a locket on short necklace, as if I'm found
catatonic they'll be looking for a pulse and the neck is the quickest
and easiest place to look. Well it's a theory...
If you want to be "belt and braces" have a bracelet too, that being the
usual pulse point that most non-medical people would look for. Most used
to opt for the bracelet some years back when I dealt with them.

Coles Law: Cabbage makes good salad.
Dave Liquorice
2015-02-27 10:51:50 UTC
Post by Bob Henson
If you want to be "belt and braces" have a bracelet too, that being the
usual pulse point that most non-medical people would look for.
Maybe, though I suspecct most of the Great Unwashed haven't a clue
about first aid. CF. Police man recently praised as a hero for saving
babys life by simply removing babys tongue from its throat. Mother
was screaming down the phone which is what attracted the attention of
the PC. WTF didn't mother check air way and remove tongue when baby
first got into difficulty. Why did she leave baby whilst it was
having a fit?

OK there's basically SFA you can do about someone in a fit but you
can try and stop them hurting themselves, remove tongue from throat
if they swallow it, prevent them drowing in their own vomit and put
them into the recovery position once the fit has subsided. It's also
a good idea to be around when they regain conciousness as they may
well be very confused and not have a clue as to what has happened.
--
Cheers
Dave.
tony sayer
2015-02-27 17:40:24 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by Bob Henson
If you want to be "belt and braces" have a bracelet too, that being the
usual pulse point that most non-medical people would look for.
Maybe, though I suspecct most of the Great Unwashed haven't a clue
about first aid. CF. Police man recently praised as a hero for saving
babys life by simply removing babys tongue from its throat. Mother
was screaming down the phone which is what attracted the attention of
the PC. WTF didn't mother check air way and remove tongue when baby
first got into difficulty. Why did she leave baby whilst it was
having a fit?
Because .. some people are better at handling such emergencies than
others Dave .. human nature;!..

I remember being told by my eldest daughters boyfriend a few years ago
on what happened in an accident on the north circular road. Seems her
mates who were in the car got out and were screaming and panicking
whilst she was ordering someone to direct the traffic, call and
ambulance someone else to go and make sure no one lit a fag up and then
she went around the people who were hurt usual stuff "can you hear me
mate!, what's yer name?, does it hurt anywhere" and did a rough triage
with five people..

He said he just looked on amazed as to just how calm she was with it
all..

Several years in the St John Ambulance prolly had something to do with
it;!..
Post by Dave Liquorice
OK there's basically SFA you can do about someone in a fit but you
can try and stop them hurting themselves, remove tongue from throat
if they swallow it, prevent them drowing in their own vomit and put
them into the recovery position once the fit has subsided. It's also
a good idea to be around when they regain conciousness as they may
well be very confused and not have a clue as to what has happened.
Had that three times with epileptic's over time one was up on a bloody
rooftop!! one once on a main road he was driving!, and once I think it
was drug induced. But as you say try not to let them hurt themselves too
much and check that they can breathe etc..

In number two good job the ignition switch was in the middle of the dash
and the handbrake was a very effective one!
Tony Sayer
Dave Liquorice
2015-02-28 01:04:54 UTC
Post by tony sayer
Post by Dave Liquorice
WTF didn't mother check air way and remove tongue when baby
first got into difficulty. Why did she leave baby whilst it was
having a fit?
Because .. some people are better at handling such emergencies than
others Dave .. human nature;!..
But to leave a baby that is struggling to breath? Surely common sense
tells anybody to check for obstructions to the airway at the very
least?

Ah "comon sense", only common in those with sense.
--
Cheers
Dave.
Nightjar .me.uk>
2015-02-27 09:31:34 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by The Medway Handyman
Post by Dave Liquorice
What sort of medical ID does TMH's London Ambulance paramedic
daughter consider to be the one they will most likely find?
I'll ask her and get back to you.
Thanks. I'm thinking a locket on short necklace, as if I'm found
catatonic they'll be looking for a pulse and the neck is the quickest
and easiest place to look. Well it's a theory...
I would be surprised if they didn't check every place that people
normally carry medical alert information - neck, wrist and wallet.
Colin Bignell
john james
Any decent smartphone does Medical ID now and the paramedics know that.
Dave Liquorice
2015-02-27 10:27:52 UTC
Post by john james
Any decent smartphone does Medical ID now and the paramedics know that.
How much space and how restricted (free form/field based, what
fields) is this Medical ID information?

Not that I'm going to change my phone just for this.
--
Cheers
Dave.
Huge
2015-02-27 10:40:19 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by john james
Any decent smartphone does Medical ID now and the paramedics know that.
How much space and how restricted (free form/field based, what
fields) is this Medical ID information?
Isn't a card in your wallet a lot easier and more reliable?
that's your problem.
Dave Liquorice
2015-02-27 11:18:22 UTC
Post by Huge
Post by Dave Liquorice
How much space and how restricted (free form/field based, what
fields) is this Medical ID information?
Isn't a card in your wallet a lot easier and more reliable?
I don't always have my wallet or phone with me. Hence investigating
lockets, I don't think I'd get on with a loose bracelet and I've not
worn a watch for the best part of 25 years...
--
Cheers
Dave.
Huge
2015-02-27 11:38:50 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by Huge
Post by Dave Liquorice
How much space and how restricted (free form/field based, what
fields) is this Medical ID information?
Isn't a card in your wallet a lot easier and more reliable?
I don't always have my wallet or phone with me.
Get it tattooed on your chest?
that's your problem.
Nightjar .me.uk>
2015-02-27 14:10:30 UTC
Post by Huge
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by john james
Any decent smartphone does Medical ID now and the paramedics know that.
How much space and how restricted (free form/field based, what
fields) is this Medical ID information?
Isn't a card in your wallet a lot easier and more reliable?
That is where I keep a laminated card with my medications listed and
another with information about my heart valve replacement. As the wallet
is of a type that attaches to my belt and tucks inside the trouser
waistband, the only time I won't have my wallet on me is when I have my
trousers off.
Colin Bignell
s***@gowanhill.com
2015-02-27 14:33:56 UTC
Post by Nightjar .me.uk>
That is where I keep a laminated card with my medications listed and
another with information about my heart valve replacement. As the wallet
is of a type that attaches to my belt and tucks inside the trouser
waistband, the only time I won't have my wallet on me is when I have my
trousers off.
That didn't help Nelson Rockefeller or Lord Palmerston ...

Owain
Dave Liquorice
2015-02-28 00:59:23 UTC
As the wallet is of a type that attaches to my belt and tucks inside the
trouser waistband, ...
That appears to be concealed, would a medic find it? Making it easy
to find is why I'm going to go for a necklace locket/capsule of some
sort. And custom lock screen image. I'm not worried about who knows,
you can't hide a tremor all that easily. In fact I'd rather people
did know so they know the reason for the tremor...
--
Cheers
Dave.
john james
2015-02-27 10:47:00 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by john james
Any decent smartphone does Medical ID now and the paramedics know that.
How much space and how restricted (free form/field based, what
fields) is this Medical ID information?
Anything you like, fully swipeable to as many screens as you like.

The only real consideration is that that info is
available to anyone who steals or finds your phone.
Post by Dave Liquorice
Not that I'm going to change my phone just for this.
You likely won't have to unless the phone is a real dinosaur.

That's available on all the reasonably recent androids
and iphones that have been updated free.
Dave Liquorice
2015-02-27 11:12:50 UTC
Post by john james
Post by Dave Liquorice
Not that I'm going to change my phone just for this.
You likely won't have to unless the phone is a real dinosaur.
Is a Samsung Galaxy SIII mini "a real dinosaur"? I'm also assuming
this is built into the OS rather than a lock screen app.
--
Cheers
Dave.
john james
2015-02-27 21:42:25 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by Dave Liquorice
I'm also assuming this is built into the OS rather than a lock screen app.
Not necessarily built in to the OS, with androids
that stuff its trivially addable with an app.
Nightjar .me.uk>
2015-02-27 14:18:46 UTC
On 27/02/2015 10:47, john james wrote:
You likely won't have to unless the phone is a real dinosaur....
That just about describes the phone my partner has. OTOH, so is the
tariff she is on: originally offered by BT if you paid full price for
the phone it has no monthly charges and 60 minutes a month free calls.
Colin Bignell
The Medway Handyman
2015-02-27 17:32:57 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Having Parkinsons I'm on regular medication, at the moment not
particularly time critical but as the brain rot progresses it will
become time critical.
So looking ahead I'm looking for some form of "Medical ID". This
can't really be an engraved thing as I want it to inform people that
I have Parkinsons and have details of my the meds and how often I
should take them.
I've had a quick look about the net and really only found bracelets
or necklace lockets/capsules, wallet cards or USB memory devices that
fit the rewriteable specification.
It's no good carrying the information if a medic can't read it, which
really rules out the USB things. That leaves a bracelet/necklace
locket/capsule or wallet cards.
What sort of medical ID does TMH's London Ambulance paramedic
daughter consider to be the one they will most likely find?
Only just got hold of her, she's been on shifts.

The most common is a tube in the fridge, they always look there first if
attending at a home. No good if you're out and about.

USB devices aren't any help, they have no way of reading them on the
ambulance or FRU. The hospital could read them, but she thinks it would
probably be overlooked or lost. She has never actually come across one
in 7 years.

She thinks a tiny capsule, roughly the size of a tyre valve attached to
a bracelet or necklace is the best. Especially if the bracelet had
"medical details in capsule" engraved on it.

The info she would want on paper in the capsule;

Name
DOB
Next of kin
Allergies
Medication - she could work out your medical condition from the medication.

HTH
Tim+
2015-02-27 17:59:18 UTC
Post by The Medway Handyman
The info she would want on paper in the capsule;
Name
DOB
Next of kin
Allergies
Medication - she could work out your medical condition from the medication.
Really? What if it said "Prednisolone"?

Prescribed for a myriad of conditions, some more life threatening than
others. No reason really NOT to put medical condition in as well.

Tim
JimK
2015-02-27 19:13:30 UTC
/Really? What if it said "Prednisolone"?

Prescribed for a myriad of conditions, some more life threatening than
others. No reason really NOT to put medical condition in as well. /q

Go on then I call.... Name some of these life threatening conditions that'll get you before you get some pred in a day or so?

Jim K
Tim+
2015-02-27 19:26:13 UTC
Post by JimK
/Really? What if it said "Prednisolone"?
Prescribed for a myriad of conditions, some more life threatening than
others. No reason really NOT to put medical condition in as well. /q
Go on then I call.... Name some of these life threatening conditions
that'll get you before you get some pred in a day or so?
Jim K
That's not my point. My point is that you can't simply diagnose a condition
from someone's medication. Prednisolone was just an example. There are
plenty of drugs administered forwidely differing conditions. Few would be
life-threatening in the short-term if medication was altered/stopped
briefly etc. but why should anyone have to guess when it would make far
more sense to include the illness.

Your newsreader is still broken.

Tim
Chris French
2015-02-27 20:04:24 UTC
In message
Post by Tim+
Post by JimK
/Really? What if it said "Prednisolone"?
Prescribed for a myriad of conditions, some more life threatening than
others. No reason really NOT to put medical condition in as well. /q
Go on then I call.... Name some of these life threatening conditions
that'll get you before you get some pred in a day or so?
Jim K
That's not my point. My point is that you can't simply diagnose a condition
from someone's medication. Prednisolone was just an example. There are
plenty of drugs administered forwidely differing conditions. Few would be
life-threatening in the short-term if medication was altered/stopped
briefly etc. but why should anyone have to guess when it would make far
more sense to include the illness.
I think what TMH's daughter meant, was that in the context of a
paramedic and an emergency situation they can probably tell from the
medication the important things that matter to them, rather than do a
full diagnosis.

But no, assuming there is space then I can't see the reason for not
including the medical condtion(s)
Chris French
Rod Speed
2015-02-27 22:49:33 UTC
Post by Chris French
In message
Post by Tim+
Post by JimK
[...]
In fact it makes a lot more sense to include the medical conditions
than to list all the not very important medications you take.
JimK
2015-02-27 21:45:18 UTC
/Your newsreader is still broken. /q

I find it works perfectly adequately for this group.

Jim K
Tim Streater
2015-02-27 22:52:10 UTC
Post by JimK
/Your newsreader is still broken. /q
I find it works perfectly adequately for this group.
At the same level as would a smudge fire and a blanket to make smoke
signals, i.e. barely.
Tim+
2015-02-27 23:07:55 UTC
Post by JimK
/Your newsreader is still broken. /q
I find it works perfectly adequately for this group.
Jim K
Define adequately. What if someone isn't using a threaded newsreader or
drops in on a new group? How are they supposed to know who you're quoting
as you don't do attributions (or do do them and get them wrong)?

What if you want to quote the last two contributors comments? Your "system"
seems to totally break down when it comes to correctly attributing quotes
to more than one respondent.

I didn't mind so much when I thought that you didn't know that your system
was crap. Now I know that you do know and just don't give a f*ck.

Tim
The Medway Handyman
2015-02-27 21:33:10 UTC
Post by Tim+
Post by The Medway Handyman
The info she would want on paper in the capsule;
Name
DOB
Next of kin
Allergies
Medication - she could work out your medical condition from the medication.
Really? What if it said "Prednisolone"?
Prescribed for a myriad of conditions, some more life threatening than
others. No reason really NOT to put medical condition in as well.
Just repeating what she said.....
Tim+
2015-02-27 23:13:35 UTC
Post by The Medway Handyman
Post by Tim+
Post by The Medway Handyman
The info she would want on paper in the capsule;
Name
DOB
Next of kin
Allergies
Medication - she could work out your medical condition from the medication.
Really? What if it said "Prednisolone"?
Prescribed for a myriad of conditions, some more life threatening than
others. No reason really NOT to put medical condition in as well.
Just repeating what she said.....
Yeah but, drugs change their names far more frequently than most people
change their chronic medical conditions. Are they supposed to update their
medication list every time their drugs change? As I said, really no reason
not to include medical condition unless it's something that you're
sensitive about lay-people knowing about.

Tim
Dave Liquorice
2015-02-28 00:18:32 UTC
Yeah but, drugs change their names ...
The drugs don't change name but there can be many brands of the same
drug. One of mine has five difernt brand names but they are all the
same drug
Are they supposed to update their medication list every time their drugs
change?
If the actual drug or the dose changes yes, brand is less important.
Though I've just discovered I'm "brand sensitive" when the dose is
not quite enough. This is a prolonged release medication and I
suspect the release rates are different, so the faster one produces
swings in abilty to think.
--
Cheers
Dave.
The Medway Handyman
2015-02-28 09:33:14 UTC
Post by Tim+
Post by The Medway Handyman
Post by Tim+
Post by The Medway Handyman
The info she would want on paper in the capsule;
Name
DOB
Next of kin
Allergies
Medication - she could work out your medical condition from the medication.
Really? What if it said "Prednisolone"?
Prescribed for a myriad of conditions, some more life threatening than
others. No reason really NOT to put medical condition in as well.
Just repeating what she said.....
Yeah but, drugs change their names far more frequently than most people
change their chronic medical conditions. Are they supposed to update their
medication list every time their drugs change? As I said, really no reason
not to include medical condition unless it's something that you're
sensitive about lay-people knowing about.
Tim
As I said, just repeating what she said. I did ask about medical
conditions, but she said medications were all she would be interested in
and that she would work things out from there.

As Chris French said "I think what TMH's daughter meant, was that in the
context of a paramedic and an emergency situation they can probably tell
from the medication the important things that matter to them, rather
than do a full diagnosis."

A paramedics job isn't to specifically treat a patient, but to stabilise
them & get them safely to the right treatment centre.

Only so much room on a small piece of paper :-)
Rod Speed
2015-02-28 09:47:58 UTC
Post by The Medway Handyman
Post by Tim+
Post by The Medway Handyman
Post by Tim+
Post by The Medway Handyman
[...]
Still makes a lot more sense to include the medical condition
if its going to be relevant to first responders than include all the
medications that aren't going to be relevant to first responders.
Dave Liquorice
2015-02-28 00:45:46 UTC
Post by The Medway Handyman
Only just got hold of her, she's been on shifts.
Odd that for a 24/7 service...
Post by The Medway Handyman
USB devices aren't any help, they have no way of reading them on the
ambulance or FRU. The hospital could read them, but she thinks it would
probably be overlooked or lost. She has never actually come across one
in 7 years.
That's what I thought about them as well. Technology for technologies
sake, whilst failing to do the job it's supposed to do.
Post by The Medway Handyman
She thinks a tiny capsule, roughly the size of a tyre valve attached to
a bracelet or necklace is the best. Especially if the bracelet had
"medical details in capsule" engraved on it.
There are capsules or flat locket type things. I shall have a harder
look at what is avialable. They normally have the snake and sword
emblem on them.
Post by The Medway Handyman
The info she would want on paper in the capsule;
Name
DOB
Next of kin
Allergies
Medication - she could work out your medical condition from the medication.
Useful, I probably wouldn't have put Name, DOB or NOK on the bit of
paper. Short from address is probably a good idea as NOK rarely has
her mobile on... With the drugs info that's quite a bit for a small
slip of paper. First draft is 215 characters and 6 lines. How are
medics with 6pt type?

Please pass on my thanks, there have been one or two useful ideas
come from this thread.
--
Cheers
Dave.