minimum separation distance between water pipe and SWA cable underground?
Stephen
2018-05-11 20:09:23 UTC
HI, I will shortly be running 25mm blue MDPE pipe AND 10mm2 SWA cable
from one end of the garden to the other end via a 2 feet deep trench.

WHats the minimum separation distance required between the blue MDPE
pipe and the 10mm2 SWA cable?

Regards,

Stephen.
ARW
2018-05-12 07:15:34 UTC
Post by Stephen
HI, I will shortly be running 25mm blue MDPE pipe AND 10mm2 SWA cable
from one end of the garden to the other end via a 2 feet deep trench.
WHats the minimum separation distance required between the blue MDPE
pipe  and the 10mm2 SWA cable?
Regards,
A spades width:-)

Or put the water pipe in at 750mm and the SWA in at 400mm.

And I have loads of underground electrical warning tape if you want
some, just email me.
Adam
Stephen
2018-05-12 08:03:12 UTC
Post by ARW
Post by Stephen
HI, I will shortly be running 25mm blue MDPE pipe AND 10mm2 SWA cable
from one end of the garden to the other end via a 2 feet deep trench.
WHats the minimum separation distance required between the blue MDPE
pipe  and the 10mm2 SWA cable?
Regards,
A spades width:-)
Or put the water pipe in at 750mm and the SWA in at 400mm.
And I have loads of underground electrical warning tape if you want
some, just email me.
So the digger's bucket should be wide enough then if I put the blue MDPE
in one of the bottom corner edges and the SWA in the opposite corner
edges then.......

One thing that is annoying about SWA cables is that it only semes to be
available as 3 phase, not in single phase plus earth! So I'm forced to
put sticky coloured tape on the conductors at both ends of the SWA!
Andy Burns
2018-05-12 08:13:04 UTC
Post by Stephen
One thing that is annoying about SWA cables is that it only semes to be
available as 3 phase, not in single phase plus earth! So I'm forced to
put sticky coloured tape on the conductors at both ends of the SWA!
Use 2-core (brown/blue) with the armour as the earth?

OR if you want a green/yellow earth core, toolstation have a photo that
shows this

<https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p57367>

I think I'd ask to check the actual colours before buying though,
because I'd normally expect brown/black/grey ...
ARW
2018-05-12 11:59:25 UTC
Post by Stephen
Post by ARW
Post by Stephen
HI, I will shortly be running 25mm blue MDPE pipe AND 10mm2 SWA cable
from one end of the garden to the other end via a 2 feet deep trench.
WHats the minimum separation distance required between the blue MDPE
pipe  and the 10mm2 SWA cable?
Regards,
A spades width:-)
Or put the water pipe in at 750mm and the SWA in at 400mm.
And I have loads of underground electrical warning tape if you want
some, just email me.
So the digger's bucket should be wide enough then if I put the blue MDPE
in one of the bottom corner edges and the SWA in the opposite corner
edges then.......
Yes.
Post by Stephen
One thing that is annoying about SWA cables is that it only semes to be
available as 3 phase, not in single phase plus earth! So I'm forced to
put sticky coloured tape on the conductors at both ends of the SWA!
It's not that big a deal:-)
Adam
Cynic
2018-05-12 20:41:45 UTC
I dont like digging so I like to install buried armoured cable in a duct of generously sized black plastic tube along with a draw cord. Belt and braces in case the cable needs replacing or you want to install another circuit.
Tim Lamb
2018-05-13 08:21:12 UTC
Post by Cynic
I dont like digging so I like to install buried armoured cable in a
duct of generously sized black plastic tube along with a draw cord.
Belt and braces in case the cable needs replacing or you want to
install another circuit.
Mice love to chew up fibre draw cords:-(
Tim Lamb
John Rumm
2018-05-13 11:34:39 UTC
Post by Cynic
I dont like digging so I like to install buried armoured cable in a
duct of generously sized black plastic tube along with a draw cord.
Belt and braces in case the cable needs replacing or you want to
install another circuit.
Another option is to install the duct, but with the SWA *outside* of it.
That way you still have the future expansion capability and don't end up
using some of it before you start.
--
Cheers,

John.

ARW
2018-05-13 11:57:41 UTC
Post by Cynic
I dont like digging so I like to install buried armoured cable in a duct of generously sized black plastic tube along with a draw cord. Belt and braces in case the cable needs replacing or you want to install another circuit.
I don't like digging. If I need a trench digging I get the village idiot
to dig it for me. It's my version of care in the community.
Adam
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp
2018-06-18 19:14:04 UTC
On Sat, 12 May 2018 12:59:25 +0100, ARW
Post by ARW
Post by Stephen
Post by Stephen
One thing that is annoying about SWA cables is that it only semes to be
available as 3 phase, not in single phase plus earth! So I'm forced to
put sticky coloured tape on the conductors at both ends of the SWA!
It's not that big a deal:-)
It was on a site I went to at Cambridge. The 110V shower was supplied
from SWA with a green sheath on the [grey] CT of the transformer, the
other green sheath at the shower end was placed on a [black] 110V feed
and connected to ground of course.

It was on that site that I heard one of the most profound, logical
observations that I have ever come across.

The site Electrician explained that the transformer had "lost it's
smoke"

He had seen electrical items lose their smoke before, it seems the
only way to get the things working again, is to collect all the smoke
that was lost, and put it back.

He persuaded me that there was little point finding all that missing
smoke, so I snipped the cable ends and saw to it that another
transformer was supplied.

I wonder if we will go back to RYB ?

At least the consensus on what core to use as ground was fairly
universal.

AB
charles
2018-06-18 21:46:29 UTC
Post by Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp
Post by ARW
Post by Stephen
Post by Stephen
[...]
The "lost smoke" concept is related to the "Dark Sucker" theory of light
bulbs.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp
2018-06-19 16:20:15 UTC
Post by ARW
Post by Stephen
Post by Stephen
[...]
You cannot have a dark sucker theory of light bulbs, the two things
are mutually exclusive.

You can have a dark sucker theory of dark suckers, most of the work
on the theory was indeed written up with the aid of darksuckers, but
having located your dark sucker, it is no longer a theory :-)

AB

Tim Lamb
2018-06-19 07:59:19 UTC
Post by Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp
On Sat, 12 May 2018 12:59:25 +0100, ARW
Post by ARW
Yes.
Post by Stephen
[...]
Is there an established phase rotation with grey/brown/black as there
was with RYB?

I've been re-using salvaged 4mm singles now connected to a pre-change
supply. Curiously only 1 out of 4 machines rotated correctly.

For obvious reasons, I don't bother with the National Lottery:-)
Tim Lamb
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp
2018-06-19 16:14:56 UTC
On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 08:59:19 +0100, Tim Lamb
Post by Tim Lamb
Post by Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp
On Sat, 12 May 2018 12:59:25 +0100, ARW
Post by ARW
Yes.
Post by Stephen
[...]
There is indeed, there seems no strict convention as to whether the
black or grey becomes ground in single phase applications though.

On the plus side, I have never seen the brown with a green tracer on
it. :-)

AB
John Rumm
2018-05-13 11:36:57 UTC
Post by Stephen
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SW4slash2.html
--
Cheers,

John.

t***@gmail.com
2018-05-12 22:35:13 UTC
Post by Stephen
HI, I will shortly be running 25mm blue MDPE pipe AND 10mm2 SWA cable
from one end of the garden to the other end via a 2 feet deep trench.
WHats the minimum separation distance required between the blue MDPE
pipe and the 10mm2 SWA cable?
Regards,
Stephen.
If you used barrier pipe for the water the cable could go inside the pipe for extra good cooling, then you could run your 3 phase lathe off a couple of bis of bell wire & save tuppence :)

No, don't really do it. Someone probably has tried it somewhere.

NT