LED downlighter with a mind of its own
2016-07-29 11:55:24 UTC
I installed LED downlighters in the kitchen 12 months or so ago and all
has been fine until recently when one of them occasionally turns itself
off after a while and then back on a few minutes later.

Is it a sign of imminent failure, or could it be something else such as
overheating? The space above it is clear...
t***@gmail.com
2016-07-29 12:20:06 UTC
Post by F
I installed LED downlighters in the kitchen 12 months or so ago and all
has been fine until recently when one of them occasionally turns itself
off after a while and then back on a few minutes later.
Is it a sign of imminent failure, or could it be something else such as
overheating? The space above it is clear...
Sounds like a failing power supply.

NT
2016-07-29 13:34:06 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Post by F
I installed LED downlighters in the kitchen 12 months or so ago and all
has been fine until recently when one of them occasionally turns itself
off after a while and then back on a few minutes later.
Is it a sign of imminent failure, or could it be something else such as
overheating? The space above it is clear...
Sounds like a failing power supply.
They're mains voltage... or do you mean the internals?
Andrew Gabriel
2016-07-29 14:35:28 UTC
Post by F
Post by t***@gmail.com
Post by F
I installed LED downlighters in the kitchen 12 months or so ago and all
has been fine until recently when one of them occasionally turns itself
off after a while and then back on a few minutes later.
Is it a sign of imminent failure, or could it be something else such as
overheating? The space above it is clear...
Sounds like a failing power supply.
They're mains voltage... or do you mean the internals?
Is the roofspace subject to solar gain? It could be getting hotter
in last couple of weeks than it's been before, causing a light to
overheat.
--
Andrew Gabriel
2016-07-31 11:03:33 UTC
Post by Andrew Gabriel
Post by F
Post by t***@gmail.com
Post by F
I installed LED downlighters in the kitchen 12 months or so ago and all
has been fine until recently when one of them occasionally turns itself
off after a while and then back on a few minutes later.
Is it a sign of imminent failure, or could it be something else such as
overheating? The space above it is clear...
Sounds like a failing power supply.
They're mains voltage... or do you mean the internals?
Is the roofspace subject to solar gain?
It's north facing...
t***@gmail.com
2016-07-29 18:22:30 UTC
Post by F
Post by t***@gmail.com
Post by F
I installed LED downlighters in the kitchen 12 months or so ago and all
has been fine until recently when one of them occasionally turns itself
off after a while and then back on a few minutes later.
Is it a sign of imminent failure, or could it be something else such as
overheating? The space above it is clear...
Sounds like a failing power supply.
They're mains voltage... or do you mean the internals?
the power supply is inside the bulb in those.

NT
Brian Gaff
2016-07-29 15:41:17 UTC
Well are these ones working of transformers or mains ones, but either way
have you tried tapping the dodgy one when it goes off to see if its just a
connection issue?
After that swap the device to another place and see what happens, if the
same location still does it the light is ok and its wiring or transformer
related, if the fault moves its the bulb or whatever leds call that bit!
Brian
--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
Brian
Rod Speed
2016-07-29 18:36:21 UTC
Post by F
I installed LED downlighters in the kitchen 12 months or so ago
and all has been fine until recently when one of them occasionally
turns itself off after a while and then back on a few minutes later.
Is it a sign of imminent failure, or could it be something
else such as overheating? The space above it is clear...
Most likely a dry joint, cracked trace etc.