Home Automation, 1950`s U.S. style
Adam Aglionby
2014-10-31 14:40:23 UTC
My house was built in the late 50's with everything electric made by GE. It had a GE heat pump, an electrostatic air cleaner that looked like it was from a nuke plant, even GE wire nuts! It still has the 24volt latching relay system for the lighting. There are 18 circuits for the output, directly from the relay to the lights / outlets. All over the place I have 3 wire low voltage runs to rocker switches that control the relays. While this may seem a nightmare, the whole thing works very well. The relays are still used in big commercial buildings , still available, and everything is pretty robust. Because the control can be easily ganged I have the ability to turn on the upstairs hall light from within each bedroom and downstairs so it is the equivalent of a 7 way switch. From the master bedroom there is a rotary selector and rocker to control every circuit on the system.<<
Heat pumps, electrostatic air cleaners, remote control lighting are we returning to the future;-)
Dave Plowman (News)
2014-10-31 14:57:26 UTC
Post by Adam Aglionby
[...]
I remember our school hall being fitted with new lighting in the late
'50s. Fluorescent, and dimmable. The dimmer taking up half the space in
the stage lighting control room. With a handle more like a beer pump.
--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled? *

Dave Plowman ***@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Brian Gaff
returning to the future;-)
Graham.
2014-10-31 22:50:29 UTC
On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 07:40:23 -0700 (PDT), Adam Aglionby
Post by Adam Aglionby
[...]
Please tell me we are not going to have the wire nuts too.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Andy Burns
2014-10-31 23:57:11 UTC
Post by Graham.
Please tell me we are not going to have the wire nuts too.
surPRISE!

http://screwfix.com/p/wire-nut/85465
Graham.
2014-11-01 00:46:20 UTC
On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 23:57:11 +0000, Andy Burns
Post by Andy Burns
Post by Graham.
Please tell me we are not going to have the wire nuts too.
surPRISE!
http://screwfix.com/p/wire-nut/85465
The reviewer seems to like using them without any form of enclosure.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
newshound
2014-11-03 10:23:09 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by Graham.
Please tell me we are not going to have the wire nuts too.
surPRISE!
http://screwfix.com/p/wire-nut/85465
Including weatherproof ones!

These sound like they have internal metal threads. Who remembers those
bastard all-ceramic ones?
s***@gowanhill.com
2014-11-03 10:53:17 UTC
And like they have internal metal threads. Who remembers those
bastard all-ceramic ones?
I do. Scruit(tm)

I rather like them - not for mains, but they work surprisingly well for tinsel cable. And the ones I have removed from mains, in my 40 year old lighting circuits, still seem to be making good connections. I remove them and save them carefully.

Owain
Graham.
2014-11-04 23:18:41 UTC
On Mon, 03 Nov 2014 10:23:09 +0000, newshound
Post by newshound
Post by Andy Burns
Post by Graham.
Please tell me we are not going to have the wire nuts too.
surPRISE!
http://screwfix.com/p/wire-nut/85465
Including weatherproof ones!
These sound like they have internal metal threads. Who remembers those
bastard all-ceramic ones?
The Honeywell zone valves in my central heating are the original type
without the removable head.

The motor was connected to the two wires in the 4 core flex by twisted
conductors and those ceramic wire nuts. Replaced with choc bloc
singles now.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
fred
2014-10-31 23:15:17 UTC
[...]
They certainly get the prize for the longest line in usenet history, 800
plus chars :-)
Heat pumps, electrostatic air cleaners, remote control lighting are we returning to
the future;-)
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .