mouting a handrail to the top edge of a 4 x 2 beam.
Capitol
2016-10-24 10:55:54 UTC
Has anyone found the brackets to do this?
jim
2016-10-24 11:49:52 UTC
Post by Capitol
Has anyone found the brackets to do this?
6" nails?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Lobster
2016-10-24 12:10:47 UTC
Post by Capitol
Has anyone found the brackets to do this?
FWIW I needed some of these a few years ago, and never managed to find any.
Odd, isn't it? Ended up getting mine custom-made at a local steel
fabricator / engineering eorkshop. Wasn't prohibitively expensive
David
newshound
2016-10-24 13:15:42 UTC
Post by Lobster
Post by Capitol
Has anyone found the brackets to do this?
FWIW I needed some of these a few years ago, and never managed to find any.
Odd, isn't it? Ended up getting mine custom-made at a local steel
fabricator / engineering eorkshop. Wasn't prohibitively expensive
But how common is the requirement? Whereas wall brackets are used
everywhere, and readily available.
GB
2016-10-24 13:27:56 UTC
Post by newshound
Post by Lobster
Post by Capitol
Has anyone found the brackets to do this?
FWIW I needed some of these a few years ago, and never managed to find any.
Odd, isn't it? Ended up getting mine custom-made at a local steel
fabricator / engineering eorkshop. Wasn't prohibitively expensive
But how common is the requirement? Whereas wall brackets are used
everywhere, and readily available.
I read the OP and thought it was a bit vague. The obvious solution, as
Jim said, is just to screw the handrail onto the corner of the beam. I'd
bevel the edge first.

It would be possible to make spacers to provide an offset if required.
Lobster
2016-10-24 19:15:34 UTC
Post by newshound
Post by Lobster
Post by Capitol
Has anyone found the brackets to do this?
FWIW I needed some of these a few years ago, and never managed to
find any. Odd, isn't it? Ended up getting mine custom-made at a
local steel fabricator / engineering eorkshop. Wasn't prohibitively
expensive
But how common is the requirement? Whereas wall brackets are used
everywhere, and readily available.
Dunno, but in my case there wasn't any simple alternative. Mine was a
refurb of an ex-council house which I did about 10 years ago - I've
found a photo: Loading Image....

Ideally I'd have removed the solid white 'block' going up the right-hand
side of the stairs, but it was far too much work, so the compromise was
to prettify it with the wooden handrail. There really wasn't any way
to do it using wall brackets.

The original had been a hideous length of scaffolding pole, really, with
welded-on brackets (Loading Image...) - to be honest,
if I'd known how much aggro was going to be involved in sourcing new
brackets, I might have just cleaned up the old handrail, but
unfortunately by that time it was long gone!
David
dennis@home
2016-10-24 15:24:58 UTC
Post by Capitol
Has anyone found the brackets to do this?
Long screws and some spacers made from 32mm drain pipe?

print some spacers if you have a 3d printer.

Buy some..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handrail-bracket-bannister-support-stainless-steel-Straight-with-covering-cap-/231279536527
Capitol
Nearly. but the base is too wide and really needs to be rectangular.
GB
You said "the top edge" originally. Do you just mean the top face, then?
Capitol
Yes a 2in wide face.
GB
2016-10-24 16:21:05 UTC
Post by Capitol
Post by GB
Post by Capitol
Post by ***@home
Post by Capitol
Has anyone found the brackets to do this?
Long screws and some spacers made from 32mm drain pipe?
print some spacers if you have a 3d printer.
Buy some..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handrail-bracket-bannister-support-stainless-steel-Straight-with-covering-cap-/231279536527
Nearly. but the base is too wide and really needs to be rectangular.
You said "the top edge" originally. Do you just mean the top face, then?
Yes a 2in wide face.
No probs. I was trying to work out a solution for mounting it on the
edge, where two faces meet. Hence, I suggested bevelling that edge.

Try googling straight handrail bracket or straight handrail support.
Lots available.
d***@yahoo.co.uk
2016-10-24 16:24:40 UTC
Post by Capitol
Has anyone found the brackets to do this?
You havn't really supplied much info. Is the handrail wood or a tube?

If the latter then there are brackets to support those rails used as a
foot rest and hand rails at bars and counters ect.

May be something on this site,
http://www.bar-fittings.com/
There is a section called Bar handrail brackets under the metal
fixings section.

Shop fitters supplies would be another source as well.

G.Harman