DSLAM cabinet
News
2014-09-18 12:52:16 UTC
Received a letter from the local authority this morning, regarding a
planning application. Openreach want to install a large green DSLAM
cabinet on the pavement outside my garden wall. I read that to mean
that superfast broadband is reaching this village at last and, with the
cabinet so close to my house, speeds will be at the top of the range
which I believe to be 70+Mbps, rather than the current theoretical 12 or
actual 6 - 7. Sounds like a result to me.
Graeme
Tim Watts
2014-09-18 13:00:56 UTC
Post by News
Received a letter from the local authority this morning, regarding a
planning application. Openreach want to install a large green DSLAM
cabinet on the pavement outside my garden wall. I read that to mean
that superfast broadband is reaching this village at last and, with the
cabinet so close to my house, speeds will be at the top of the range
which I believe to be 70+Mbps, rather than the current theoretical 12 or
actual 6 - 7. Sounds like a result to me.
Yep.

I've seen >70Mbit/sec DL and 17Mbit/s UL with the cabinet some distance
around the corner in the next road.

Assuming your wire will go *direct* to this cabinet, you shoul dbe
laughing :)

Watch who you sign up with though, as they can still bugger it up on the
backhaul.
News
2014-09-18 13:11:38 UTC
Post by Tim Watts
Watch who you sign up with though, as they can still bugger it up on
the backhaul.
Just switched from Demon to Zen, and hope that Zen are better than most.
Graeme
Charles F
2014-09-18 14:32:32 UTC
Post by News
Post by Tim Watts
Watch who you sign up with though, as they can still bugger it up on the
backhaul.
Just switched from Demon to Zen, and hope that Zen are better than most.
--
Graeme
We've been with Zen for seven years, and to date they have been ace - with
the recent exception of pulling newsgroups - but that is available
elsewhere.

Our green cab is about 250 metres away via crow, so probably 300 metres +
plus for the cable run, half flown, and half underground. On installing it
was tested at about 50Mbps, although we are speed capped on Zen's basic
38/9.5 Mb package. Subsequent testing does get a consistent figure very
close to the nominal, so you should get the full 70mb at the distance
involved.

Charles F
tony sayer
2014-09-19 08:04:27 UTC
Post by News
Post by Tim Watts
Watch who you sign up with though, as they can still bugger it up on
the backhaul.
Just switched from Demon to Zen, and hope that Zen are better than most.
They are a bloody good ISP only let down sometimes by Openwoe;!..
Tony Sayer
Tim Watts
2014-09-19 08:43:15 UTC
Post by tony sayer
Post by News
Post by Tim Watts
Watch who you sign up with though, as they can still bugger it up on
the backhaul.
Just switched from Demon to Zen, and hope that Zen are better than most.
They are a bloody good ISP only let down sometimes by Openwoe;!..
Openwoe have got worse - they now subcontract to Kelly Communications who:

Give their staff 2 days training then let them loose unsupervised which
evidently does not involve showing them how to make a jelly-crimp
connection without the wire falling out;

Give them duff testsets so they sit around faffing wondering which pair
is actually live;

Fail to explain what "30m extension kit is authorised if necessary"
means when written on the ISP's order to BT.

Nice bloke - clearly the right personality for the job, but I felt sorry
for him bumbling about and going back and forth to the street cabinet
because Openwoe scraped the bottom of the barrel in the tender.

Luckily the job was booked through A&A and they answered the phone in 10
seconds, and had me speaking to the right person in 30 seconds who:

1) Reconfirmed that I could have the master socket relocated (especially
when it was all of 2m away and I'd laid in trunking for him);

2) Got straight on the phone and gave BT a right good kicking, which
will be followed up.

I got what I wanted in the end and FTTC works really well, but mostly
because I was able to quote chapter and verse to the fitter. Poor bugger.
tony sayer
2014-09-19 19:48:30 UTC
Post by Tim Watts
Nice bloke - clearly the right personality for the job, but I felt sorry
for him bumbling about and going back and forth to the street cabinet
because Openwoe scraped the bottom of the barrel in the tender.
Luckily the job was booked through A&A and they answered the phone in 10
1) Reconfirmed that I could have the master socket relocated (especially
when it was all of 2m away and I'd laid in trunking for him);
2) Got straight on the phone and gave BT a right good kicking, which
will be followed up.
I got what I wanted in the end and FTTC works really well, but mostly
because I was able to quote chapter and verse to the fitter. Poor bugger.
Yes I had to show one how to use his equipment the other month;(.

Mind you Openreach and BT don't help much either..
Tony Sayer
Dave Liquorice
2014-09-18 18:59:40 UTC
Post by Tim Watts
Post by News
Received a letter from the local authority this morning, regarding a
planning application. Openreach want to install a large green DSLAM
cabinet on the pavement outside my garden wall.
They need planning permission? I would have expected this to come
under a blanket "permitted development" either by the coucil or
Openreach. Thanks for the info though.

Openreach are working on cabinets associated with FTTC down in the
village, a new one to handle the line end of the VDSL connection has
already been planted and cabled but one for the fibre termination and
VDSL kit needs to be installed. The completion date recent slipped
from September 14 to April 15. Keeping an eye on local planning
applications could be useful.
Post by Tim Watts
Post by News
range which I believe to be 70+Mbps, ..
I've seen >70Mbit/sec DL and 17Mbit/s UL with the cabinet some distance
around the corner in the next road.
The speeds starts to drop at line lengths greater than about 300 to
400 m.
Post by Tim Watts
Assuming your wire will go *direct* to this cabinet, you shoul dbe
laughing :)
Or at least through the cabinet that this DSLAM is associated with.
In our case the fibre feeding the cabinet down in the village passes
through a duct 5 yards from our front door. Trouble is the village is
2 km away and our line goes straight back to the exchange by a
different route to the lines in the village. So FTTC is NFG for us.
There is supposed to be a "fibre node" or something like that 200 m
towards the town. It wouldn't be that hard to pull in a small duct
from the hole on our grass frontage to that node and get FTTP. But I
expect Openreach would still want an arm and a leg for it and the
exchnage probably won't ever be enabled for FTTP either.
--
Cheers
Dave.
News
2014-09-18 19:36:55 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
They need planning permission? I would have expected this to come
under a blanket "permitted development" either by the coucil or
Openreach. Thanks for the info though.
We are in a conservation area, and the village is within the Cairngorms
National Park, so *everything* apparently needs planning permission.
Post by Dave Liquorice
The speeds starts to drop at line lengths greater than about 300 to
400 m.
We are less than 100m from the exchange as the crow flies, but longer by
road. Personally, our usual broadband speed is good enough for me, but
wife and son are gamers, and are hoping for an improvement, even if not
top of the range speeds.
Graeme
Dave Liquorice
2014-09-19 07:44:28 UTC
Post by News
Post by Dave Liquorice
They need planning permission? I would have expected this to come
under a blanket "permitted development" either by the coucil or
Openreach. Thanks for the info though.
We are in a conservation area, and the village is within the Cairngorms
National Park, so *everything* apparently needs planning permission.
Ah, you need permission to fart ...

Only an AONB here, search of local planning database shows nothing
for the new cabinet in the village. Mind you the same search only
shows 1 (one) application this year, which I find rather hard to
believe.
--
Cheers
Dave.
Davey
2014-09-19 23:32:43 UTC
On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 08:44:28 +0100 (BST)
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by News
Post by Dave Liquorice
They need planning permission? I would have expected this to come
under a blanket "permitted development" either by the coucil or
Openreach. Thanks for the info though.
We are in a conservation area, and the village is within the
Cairngorms National Park, so *everything* apparently needs planning
permission.
Ah, you need permission to fart ...
Only an AONB here, search of local planning database shows nothing
for the new cabinet in the village.
Same here. Following advice in one of these here NGs, I checked all the
local planning applications, and our two cabinets are nowhere to be
found. And one is in a conservation area.
Davey.
Jethro_uk
2014-09-18 13:15:30 UTC
Post by News
Received a letter from the local authority this morning, regarding a
planning application. Openreach want to install a large green DSLAM
cabinet on the pavement outside my garden wall. I read that to mean
that superfast broadband is reaching this village at last and, with the
cabinet so close to my house, speeds will be at the top of the range
which I believe to be 70+Mbps, rather than the current theoretical 12 or
actual 6 - 7. Sounds like a result to me.
I started reading this, and thought you were going to start a campaign to
have it installed elsewhere ;)
fred
2014-09-18 13:30:00 UTC
Post by Jethro_uk
Post by News
Received a letter from the local authority this morning, regarding a
planning application. Openreach want to install a large green DSLAM
cabinet on the pavement outside my garden wall. I read that to mean
that superfast broadband is reaching this village at last and, with the
cabinet so close to my house, speeds will be at the top of the range
which I believe to be 70+Mbps, rather than the current theoretical 12 or
actual 6 - 7. Sounds like a result to me.
I started reading this, and thought you were going to start a campaign to
have it installed elsewhere ;)
That'll be the campaign required to move it after they install it across
his driveway :-/
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Richard
Nah. That'll be the wind turbine for the green part ;)
News
2014-09-18 13:39:28 UTC
Post by Jethro_uk
Post by News
Received a letter from the local authority this morning, regarding a
planning application.
I started reading this, and thought you were going to start a campaign to
have it installed elsewhere ;)
<grin> First thing I saw was the diagram, then this huge green cabinet
and thought WTF? Then I saw DSLAM ...
Graeme
Gazz
2014-09-18 16:14:58 UTC
Post by News
Post by Jethro_uk
Post by News
Received a letter from the local authority this morning, regarding a
planning application.
I started reading this, and thought you were going to start a campaign to
have it installed elsewhere ;)
<grin> First thing I saw was the diagram, then this huge green cabinet
and thought WTF? Then I saw DSLAM ...
Can you still complain about it, suggesting a free connection to it with
unlimited useage and all that as compensation :)
News
2014-09-18 21:19:12 UTC
Post by Gazz
Post by News
<grin> First thing I saw was the diagram, then this huge green
cabinet and thought WTF? Then I saw DSLAM ...
Can you still complain about it, suggesting a free connection to it
with unlimited useage and all that as compensation :)
Sounds like a plan :-)
Graeme
John Rumm
2014-09-18 21:46:25 UTC
Post by News
Received a letter from the local authority this morning, regarding a
planning application. Openreach want to install a large green DSLAM
cabinet on the pavement outside my garden wall. I read that to mean
that superfast broadband is reaching this village at last and, with the
cabinet so close to my house, speeds will be at the top of the range
which I believe to be 70+Mbps, rather than the current theoretical 12 or
actual 6 - 7. Sounds like a result to me.
Stroke of luck...

(I would even let them use a bit of my garden if they would do the same
here!)
--
Cheers,

John.

d***@yahoo.co.uk
2014-09-18 23:31:44 UTC
Post by News
Received a letter from the local authority this morning,
I really must clean this screen , I thought the header said Islam
cabinet, blimey this scottish business is changing the goverment
quicker than anticipated was my first thought.

G.Harman
News
2014-09-19 06:44:48 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.co.uk
Post by News
Received a letter from the local authority this morning,
I really must clean this screen , I thought the header said Islam
cabinet, blimey this scottish business is changing the goverment
quicker than anticipated was my first thought.
ROFL. That made us both laugh, particularly having been sitting here
for hours, watching the results :-)
Graeme
Mark
2014-09-19 08:34:47 UTC
Post by News
Received a letter from the local authority this morning, regarding a
planning application. Openreach want to install a large green DSLAM
cabinet on the pavement outside my garden wall. I read that to mean
that superfast broadband is reaching this village at last and, with the
cabinet so close to my house, speeds will be at the top of the range
which I believe to be 70+Mbps, rather than the current theoretical 12 or
actual 6 - 7. Sounds like a result to me.
Iff your line gets connected to this cabinet. Your line may go
directly to the exchange if it's only 100m away.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?